• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Why not? The Mii costumes don't take many resources.

The original purpose of the Splatoon Mii fighter has been fulfilled, and they wouldn't take any more or less development time than any other popular newcomer. You're a smart guy, Burb. The main reason K. Rool was added was to sell his costume to fans as Nintendo knows he is a popular character. The main reason Inkling was added was to sell the concept of the game of Splatoon to Nintendo fans.

Splatoon will almost certainly pass 3 million by the end of the year. It's a MASSIVE hit, biggest new IP Nintendo has had since Wii Sports/Fit, and it's the most successful traditional series launch the Nintendo has had in over a decade.

If the Inklings get in it's because they did great in the polls and Sakurai see's potential in them. Unlike K. Rool, Sakurai didn't add them in AFTER seeing the fan demand.
You don't think Sakurai ever looked at them before the Splatoon came out, and that fan demand would be the only way he'd look at them?

The addition of the costume could just as easily tell us that he knew how hard Nintendo was pushing Splatoon, knew they'd be in demand, and decided to give the fans the costume while Splatoon was still fresh (no pun intended) and new.

We didn't just get a costume, we got a trophy on top of it. If they knew there was even a chance they'd consider Inklings for the roster at some point, they at the very least would not have put the trophy in.

Last edited:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Varia Suit definitely proves that playable characters can have Mii Costumes as well, but I think it's unwise to take that as having no bearing on K. Rool's chances. Samus is a pretty iconic video game character and is a veteran since the beginning. K. Rool does not have the same justification for getting a Mii costume and, at the least, the existence of the Mii costume brings his chances into limbo. Personally I am not expecting a full K. Rool character anymore though I'd be happy to be proved wrong. (I think I'd rather have Dixie than K. Rool, though, admittedly.)

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Varia Suit definitely proves that playable characters can have Mii Costumes as well, but I think it's unwise to take that as having no bearing on K. Rool's chances. Samus is a pretty iconic video game character and is a veteran since the beginning. K. Rool does not have the same justification for getting a Mii costume and, at the least, the existence of the Mii costume brings his chances into limbo. Personally I am not expecting a full K. Rool character anymore though I'd be happy to be proved wrong. (I think I'd rather have Dixie than K. Rool, though, admittedly.)
It proves nothing the Link costume didn't already prove.

And it's still not even the same thing. Link and Samus are already on the roster. As it stands, no character has been released as a costume first, and a fighter later on. On the contrary, we know as a fact that at least two of the characters we've gotten as Mii Fighter costumes were characters that were considered and rejected from the roster (Chrom and Heihachi).

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I don't understand. How is the Samus costume supposed to say anything the Link costume didn't already? (Note: I don't believe it changes anything, I'm just confused as to what logic people use to say that it does)

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
why is it october? cause if not the ballots not over and we havent gotten anything from the ballot
It's great to be optimistic and all, but to just ignore what is potentially a massive blow to K. Rool's chances is just setting yourself up for disappointment. The arguments for K. Rool at this point lie on the same shaky premises that Ridley supporters used after he was teased/revealed as a boss for the Pyrosphere. We need to face the fact that a case like K. Rool's is unprecedented, and it doesn't look good. (Inklings have already been proven to be a somewhat different case.) When people compare it to Link or Samus, it's not the same, as both are:
A. already in the game
and
B. The heads of two of Nintendo's most popular franchises, one of which is also considered the first lady of video games.

K. Rool is a dead character who's last appearance was in a 2008 Mario Sports spinoff. It's obvious that the recent DLC costumes were swayed by popularity, as both Chrom and Lloyd were added as costumes. Lets point out Chrom, because I'd like to think he's a similar case to K. Rool, except we know the full story. Chrom was rejected for being a bland swordsman. I can imagine Lloyd was rejected for the same reasons, however he's a relatively popular character, and Mii Swordfighter's moveset fits him. K. Rool sticks out a bit, but is it hard to imagine he was rejected for whatever reason? "Fanservice" isn't just pandering to us hardcore fans, it's pandering to all the fans. That means all the little kids that want Shrek and Goku and whatever are included. It might be shocking, but they're the majority here. Us hardcore fans are a minority. That's why the Smashboard and Reddit polls are unreliable, because they don't reflect the opinions of every fan. Is it that hard to imagine that K. Rool isn't doing as well as we think he is in the polls? Because I think we may be making him out to be more important and more popular than he actually is, and I'm thinking that he actually wasn't that popular in the polls, but Sakurai and the team knew that he was still a popular character, so they made the Mii Fighter costume to compensate for the fact that he isn't getting into the game.

Once again, getting your hopes up to high only sets you up for disappointment.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
It's great to be optimistic and all, but to just ignore what is potentially a massive blow to K. Rool's chances is just setting yourself up for disappointment. The arguments for K. Rool at this point lie on the same shaky premises that Ridley supporters used after he was teased/revealed as a boss for the Pyrosphere. We need to face the fact that a case like K. Rool's is unprecedented, and it doesn't look good.
This is honestly very, very true.

It really does feel exactly like the Ridley shadow all over again.

(Inklings have already been proven to be a different case.)
They haven't, and the trophy DLC makes their situation even worse than K. Rool's.

To say they're a special case for the flimsy reasons given so far in this thread is no different than what the people saying K. Rool's chances are just as high as ever are doing.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I don't know if I want to know no if the 3ds has data for future dlc. The hype level next reveal would go through the roof then!

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
Alright, guys. I've created...

THE FIRST OFFICIAL LEAKS GROUP TOURNAMENT!!!

It's just a mini-tournament that will go on until 4:00AM.

The Tourney ID is 05510463058870.

The password is LEAKS_RULE.

I'll create a longer tournament in the future, as this is just a test.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I'm curious as to how much Nintendo/Sakurai actually know about the ballot. From what I remember, the results were being handled by a third-party, and it could very well be that Sakurai won't know the results until the ballot is over. Perhaps he's even chosen not to know about the results until then, preferring to work on the stuff that he already has planned before moving on to that.

I refuse to believe that Sakurai wasn't aware of K Rool's popularity. He doesn't need a ballot to know that King K. Rool is one of the, if not the single, most requested character in the west.

As someone who has lost interest in Smash as of late and honestly doesn't care too much about who gets in and who doesn't, I think it's too early to say that a costume means anything. For all we know K Rool was indeed planned as a costume since the beginning, and the Ballot had nothing to do with it. The Ballot characters could very well be completely separate from any of the DLC we're getting before October.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Yeah, no DLC for me this time.

Maybe I'll buy the stages later, but everything is dreadfully boring.

Poots

Smash Journeyman
Alright, guys. I've created...

THE FIRST OFFICIAL LEAKS GROUP TOURNAMENT!!!

It's just a mini-tournament that will go on until 4:00AM.

The Tourney ID is 05510463058870.

The password is LEAKS_RULE.

I'll create a longer tournament in the future, as this is just a test.
I'm already there!

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
They haven't, and the trophy DLC makes their situation even worse than K. Rool's.

To say they're a special case for the flimsy reasons given so far in this thread is no different than what the people saying K. Rool's chances are just as high as ever are doing.
I added in somewhat to reflect that the cases are also somewhat similar. I would actually say that the Inklings have a better chance over K. Rool due to the ballot itself. Splatoon is a highly successful game, so I'm sure it's spread highly by word of mouth. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they place highly in the ballot. That's the only reason for their inclusion I could really think of.

At this point, I'd think all DLC comes down to the ballot. It is the end-all-be-all for character DLC, the make it or break it. If we were going to get another pre-ballot character, I would think it would've been in this update, and unless a new update pops up out of nowhere (this is possible), we're not getting any more DLC characters besides the ballot.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
no 1 v1's. Only free for all's with items on.Worst thing is you cant even turn them off
There are 1v1s under regular.

It's 2 stock 3 minute matches. :I

Why couldn't they literally just port Brawl's Tournament mode, but make it online?

It would've been perfect, and it could've been local too. (My buddy and I used to always make 1v1 tournaments with all random characters, and then take turns taking first pick for characters. It was fun to see which characters made it to the end of the tournament for us.)

Last edited:

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
So I took a shot at making a Mii for the K. Rool costume. ...I tried :laugh:

To be honest, as derpy as it is, I don't think it could be made much better. lol

Of course we wouldn't have this problem if K Rool was an actual character rather than a costume...

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
sounds like someone didnt use the item switch feature
There are 1v1s under regular.

It's 2 stock 3 minute matches. :I

Why couldn't they literally just port Brawl's Tournament mode, but make it online?

It would've been perfect, and it could've been local too. (My buddy and I used to always make 1v1 tournaments with all random characters, and then take turns taking first pick for characters. It was fun to see which characters made it to the end of the tournament for us.)

You know i tried that and still couldn't get a battle without items.Maybe its just me

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
didn't sakurai say that there will be updates to the tourney mode? i imagine this is just a starter. perhaps modes like 1vs1 and no items on and such will become available later on. this the the 1st time they are doing something like this.

Poots

Smash Journeyman
That first match certainly was... laggy. I think I'll give the whole tournament thing a rest until tomorrow.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
That first match certainly was... laggy. I think I'll give the whole tournament thing a rest until tomorrow.
Yeah... That was frustrating. Hopefully the whole thing isn't like that.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So I took a shot at making a Mii for the K. Rool costume. ...I tried :laugh:

To be honest, as derpy as it is, I don't think it could be made much better. lol

Of course we wouldn't have this problem if K Rool was an actual character rather than a costume...
good, now try to make a Paper Mario one, hint: it;s impossible :)

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Yeah can't say i really enjoy this wave of DLC so much.Just gonna buy the stages and not bother with the outfits and tourney mode

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom