• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Y'all are like "AFTER LAST TIME THE DEV TEAMS GONNA BE CAREFUL"

They haven't stepped up their security game for Smash for years. The entire Brawl roster was leaked. SSB4 roster was leaked.

It's not gonna ruin anything except the surprise, so they're not going to step up their game so a bit of surprise is kept.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Inkling costume was decided on before the game was out and their popularity was properly developed. Apples to oranges.
If they were even going to be considered, don't you think they'd hold off on the costumes and trophy until they had the time to properly gauge their popularity? :ohwell:

Y'all are like "AFTER LAST TIME THE DEV TEAMS GONNA BE CAREFUL"

They haven't stepped up their security game for Smash for years. The entire Brawl roster was leaked. SSB4 roster was leaked.

It's not gonna ruin anything except the surprise, so they're not going to step up their game so a bit of surprise is kept.
They can't stop some random employee from going out and spilling the beans. That's not their fault.

They can stop themselves from putting spoilers in the update files. That sort of leak is their fault, 100%.

Last edited:

Chrono.

If they were even going to be considered, don't you think they'd hold off on the costumes and trophy until they had the time to properly gauge their popularity? :ohwell:
The trophy even came after Splatoon had proven to be successful.

I really don't see them happening either.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Not really, because they were thrown together in order to promote Splatoon, a game that hadn't even launched yet and was getting a massive marketing push. They didn't even have a full month of ballot results before they were announced.

K. Rool, on the other hand, is likely the result of ballot feed back and isn't meant to promote anything. Like I said, completely different situation.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Or he simply isn't being a moron
See, that sort of thing is subjective.

Not really, because they were thrown together in order to promote Splatoon, a game that hadn't even launched yet and was getting a massive marketing push. They didn't even have a full month of ballot results before they were announced.

K. Rool, on the other hand, is likely the result of ballot feed back and isn't meant to promote anything. Like I said, completely different situation.
Right.

So why throw out the costume and trophy immediately? Why not wait to see if they do well on the ballot, and release the costume and trophy as a consolation prize if they do poorly?

Or, hell, why do it at all? If they didn't know how popular they would be, why make the suit to begin with?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Honestly? I'm not seeing a strong argument from either side.
There's not enough evidence one way or another what Mii costumes (or Trophies!) means for these characters.
People need to stop taking everything as a dis-confirmation of something else.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
See, that sort of thing is subjective.

Right.

So why throw out the costume and trophy immediately? Why not wait to see if they do well on the ballot, and release the costume and trophy as a consolation prize if they do poorly?
Because you don't promote a game by not releasing anything? What don't you understand? There was no way to know if fans would like Splatoon, so they created content for Smash, one of Nintendo's best sellers, as a way to help raise awareness for the game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, now that the Varia Suit 100% proves that the Mii Fighter costume theory disconfirming characters mean jack, we can move on. It would be nice if Sakurai spoke more about the costumes and why they were put in(as in specific ones). All 3rd parties are likely because they had no real chance to be playable. Any 1st and 2nd parties are of course in a completely different boat, and no costume can disconfirm them anyway since there's nothing to imply that's the only reason they got the costume was because the character wasn't going to be playable.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

Ignore my bad performance. I was using the gamepad.

Upload test.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Because you don't promote a game by not releasing anything? What don't you understand? There was no way to know if fans would like Splatoon, so they created content for Smash, one of Nintendo's best sellers, as a way to help raise awareness for the game.
"We don't have enough commercials or social media campaigns to ensure Splatoon will be a success. Release a Trophy nobody will know about until weeks after the game launches, and Mii Fighter costumes literally nobody will talk about for more than a day after we show them off! That'll do it!"

The Inklings are the only costume characters thus far who have gotten a trophy. It's not a standard thing to bundle a trophy with costumes. It wasn't advertised until the day the trophy was released, and was a freebie. Even if the costume was made as a pre-order bonus, there is no justification for making a trophy for a character you're gonna consider for DLC in a month or two. It's not the same as putting Lucas and Mewtwo trophies in the base game before Smash DLC is allegedly even a thing.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That's the thing. Extremely popular.
Not a good idea to shove them in as DLC. It'd be a much better idea to add them as Smash 5 newcomers for mega hype.
That reasoning is completely arbitrary.
If Sakurai is interested in adding them ever, he's not going to wait for another game to come out before he adds them. Unless there's more...ugh, "deserving" characters before them, and there aren't many.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It's worth noting, guys, that Ryu and Roy's files were found on the 3DS version of the game back when Mewtwo was released, The Wii U had no trace of them. So there may still be a chance of some hidden goodies... don't take my word for it though.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
That reasoning is completely arbitrary.
If Sakurai is interested in adding them ever, he's not going to wait for another game to come out before he adds them. Unless there's more...ugh, "deserving" characters before them, and there aren't many.
Uh..yes there is.

I love the Inklings too. It'd be great if they were in Smash. But I doubt he'd make them just DLC instead of a grand-slam newcomer to hype up the game.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It's worth noting, guys, that Ryu and Roy's files were found on the 3DS version of the game back when Mewtwo was released, The Wii U had no trace of them. So there may still be a chance of some hidden goodies... don't take my word for it though.
One would think that Nintendo learned from their mistakes. Lets hope they did for the sake of our hype.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
"Even if the costume was made as a pre-order bonus, there is no justification for making a trophy for a character you're gonna consider for DLC in a month or two.
Why not? The Mii costumes don't take many resources.

The original purpose of the Splatoon Mii fighter has been fulfilled, and they wouldn't take any more or less development time than any other popular newcomer. You're a smart guy, Burb. The main reason K. Rool was added was to sell his costume to fans as Nintendo knows he is a popular character. The main reason Inkling was added was to sell the concept of the game of Splatoon to Nintendo fans.

Because
- It's selling well
- It was received well
- A very large amount of people now want them
- They would be extremely unique
Splatoon will almost certainly pass 3 million by the end of the year. It's a MASSIVE hit, biggest new IP Nintendo has had since Wii Sports/Fit, and it's the most successful traditional series launch the Nintendo has had in over a decade.

If the Inklings get in it's because they did great in the polls and Sakurai see's potential in them. Unlike K. Rool, Sakurai didn't add them in AFTER seeing the fan demand.[/quote]

Last edited:

Chrono.

I really really doubt they're gonna make the same mistake again.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Oh you poor, poor delusional clone of an already niche fighting game protagonist...
KOF is more relevant than Toy Story fite me m8.

You got it backwards. Kusanagi (favorite fighter in KoF) is a clone of Kyo Kusanagi.

...I didn't get it but I needed to make a joke out of it anyway.
Fixed and uncalled for mah ***** :kappa:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
@ Burb Burb I will totally argue with you tomorrow or some other time, lol. I can't deal with how slow Smashboards is right now.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
People keep seeing the K Rool costume as a random occurrence that would have always been planned.

People need to recognize that this costume likely would not have even been considered if it were not for the ballot. Which is exactly why I think this hurts his chances. I feel this is what he got from the ballot.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
People keep seeing the K Rool costume as a random occurrence that would have always been planned.

People need to recognize that this costume likely would not have even been considered if it were not for the ballot. Which is exactly why I think this hurts his chances. I feel this is what he got from the ballot.
why is it october? cause if not the ballots not over and we havent gotten anything from the ballot

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
yfw the YouTube update is only for Wii U
image.jpg

While the 3DS gets jack all

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Uhhhhh... did Nintendo's server just die for anyone else? .-.

EDIT: Working now... odd.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Admit it Space Stranger. You like Cars 2; don't deny it. Quit pushing it away.
You'll love it.
Accept it.
Be happy it exists.
Happy.
Love, joy, and happiness.
No! NEVER! NOT A CHANCE IN HELL!

This is slander! SLANDER!

Need...hatred.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
why is it october? cause if not the ballots not over and we havent gotten anything from the ballot
No.

I'm saying that the K Rool costume would not have been a thing without the ballot. The ballot brought attention to K Rool, and this is their response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom