• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khoru

Smash Champion

Completely agree on your other points though.
To be honest, I never understood why Awakening gets the hate it does. It doesn't really feel much different than any other Fire Emblem game to me. And I've played since FE7, I'm hardly a n00b.
pokemon is absolutely incomparable
the oracle games would be sort of similar, or the first two golden sun games
the distinction there, though, is that afaik all of the fates content is on the cart and locked until you pay up for the dlc

^isn't it? i'd think so considering the dump of chapter summaries had everything

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I used to have a lot of reoccurring dreams where I would hook up with my sister.

Of course I don't actually have a sister, so I think it's just reflective of the fact that I'm really into myself.

What? We've all got issues.
it's revealed eventually that they aren't blood related (making the game's plot stupid and pointless) but you can marry and have kids with adoptive siblings on both sides, yes

also the entire "it's optional!!!!" argument has got to be some sort of fallacy
Yeah how about we talk about who has the best watch.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
While I doubt we'll see ballot character before the ballot ends, I think production will begin well before then. The ballots been out for months so they have a good idea of which characters are popular, and since it's just a vote of interest Sakurai doesnt need 100% accuracy in the vote; he just needs to see where his wants and the player wants interact. And though I do expect some shifts to occur, I don't expect major shifts in ranking; 1st place going to 3rd or 4th isnt much when there's hundreds (or at the very least several dozen) characters in the pole. Plus (assuming a 3rd party character is chosen, they'd need time for negotiations).

That said.....I cant wait till this is all over. I'd like to see how well the chosen characters match our expectations. I personally doubt certain characters are as popular as many believe, but I also don't think popularity matters that much; though, I fully expect an "I told you so" or two from people drawing false conclusions for why a character was picked.
The ballot isn't even half way through. It's been up for under 3 months, and it has 4 months left.

I'm actually kind of dreading it being over, because that's the end of character speculation for years. And speculating characters is fun.

Last edited:

Chrono.

^isn't it? i'd think so considering the dump of chapter summaries had everything
I dived further into the thread, only the chapter names are there (along with some boss descriptions and music).

Basically just a bunch of text (...and music).

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion

Completely agree on your other points though.
To be honest, I never understood why Awakening gets the hate it does. It doesn't really feel much different than any other Fire Emblem game to me. And I've played since FE7, I'm hardly a n00b.
it's different with pokemon.The story or gameplay doesn't change just what you face.Like instead of a gengar you fight a haunter.Not that big of difference(espeically nowadays).But with Fates they literally gave you two different endings and if there own set up and plot and if you want the whole experience you have to get both.Unlike Pokemon where the story is the exact same with literally no differences.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I dived further into the thread, only the chapter names are there (along with some boss descriptions and music).

Basically just a bunch of text (...and music).
Yeah, some of the major spoilers aren't there.
Like the fact that some characters you can get in the other Paths do die in the 3rd Path. So it's not all rainbows.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
that's a fair way of looking at it
i was just referring to within the context of the FE series

isaac would be fantastic, but his popularity seems overstated (as others have recently said)
geno will never be playable in super smash bros
You didn't come from the future to say he is going to be playable or not

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
going back to smash for a bit

if we get characters in august IF
they are not apart of the ballot by the shear fact that the ballot will not have ended by then
now given the fact we know that there has been 2 additional character being worked on prior
to sakurai announcing several more characters i pose this as the most sensible range of characters we will get
3-6 why 3-6? well several is more than 2 so 3 is the minimum mean while 6 being the maximum
due to the fact we would have 12 dlc characters overall and i feel that
they wont go over that number due to it being the same ammount as the original smash

so write up your top 6 dlc characters and we will see how many we will get

please note i am fully expecting us to only get three
the reason i have the max of 6 is because thats wat i want
(allways put the expectation at the minimum and the want at the maximum so that way your never disapointed with the results)

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Hey guys who wants to do a crazy plan similar to the breaking into Nintendo to get the leaks? It involves taking over Nintendo and making Wolf DLC, what's in it for you? You get a DLC character, since we'd be running Nintendo.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't think any characters will come with the August update. I'm betting we get the tournament mode and the two 64 stages while on the Nintendo direct we get a trailer.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking abut what Sakurai said recently, how "from until the end, it will be fan service" and why Wolf isn't DLC yet.

The thing is, what do Lucas and Roy have in common?
Yes, they both are from games which were never released in the west.

So when I think about it, there is a chance that Sakurai thought something like the following:
"I'm sure all veterans will be highly voted in the ballot, but what about Lucas and Roy? Their games never released in the west, so maybe only Japanese fans will vote for them, while the others will be highly demanded all over the world."

So Sakurai took the opportunity and started to work on the veterans he thought wouldn't get a lot of votes, while everybody knew that Wolf will get a lot of votes, for being very popular.

(It is arguably what Sakurai may have thought about Pichu and Young Link, for example, maybe the thought they will get a lot of votes too? ...Or he just doesn't care for them in particular.)

mahirukoizumi

Smash Cadet
NNID
gengar3039
Not only is the incest in fates a huge turn off for me, but also the huge lackluster over the gay marriage option. It's just so disappointing how on earth did they get away with being only able to gay marry one specific male character and one specific female character which each are EXCLUSIVE like if you wanna be a lesbian you're forced to buy the Hoshido path and if you wanna be gay you're going to have to buy the Nohr path.

And if you buy the opposite you have to pay for the third path to be able to obtain both. It's just so bad in so many ways and does not "represent" their community at all. It's telling people that aren't straight that they're not of the norm. It's just so sad honestly.

The amount of fanservice is just beyond weird like why would i want to ****in' rub your cheeks?? This isn't pokemon amie. And sources claim you can even do this to your siblings and they'll say "What would mother say about this?" like that's ****ing disgusting and no i wont "Avoid" it because it's just plain gross to even have an option for incest in general?

sorry those are just my 2 cents i dont go off like this i barely ever say anything cause im just a nervous person in general.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not only is the incest in fates a huge turn off for me, but also the huge lackluster over the gay marriage option. It's just so disappointing how on earth did they get away with being only able to gay marry one specific male character and one specific female character which each are EXCLUSIVE like if you wanna be a lesbian you're forced to buy the Hoshido path and if you wanna be gay you're going to have to buy the Nohr path.

And if you buy the opposite you have to pay for the third path to be able to obtain both. It's just so bad in so many ways and does not "represent" their community at all. It's telling people that aren't straight that they're not of the norm. It's just so sad honestly.
Hey look.

It's not ideal.

But it's progress.

Don't be the tumblrite that's never satisfied. The last thing Nintendo needs is complaining about this.

They took a plunge. Give them credit where its due.

Besides, technically speaking being gay( or bi in this case) isn't the norm (statistically speaking). Not uncommon or wrong, but it's a minority by far. Perhaps pick some different word choice.

Last edited:

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi's Woolly World and the amiibos released today here in europe!

So I'll just leave this here:

And let you go on with the Fire Emblem discussion.

Pun intended.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Hey look.

It's not ideal.

But it's progress.

Don't be the tumblrite that's never satisfied. The last thing Nintendo needs is complaining about this.

They took a plunge. Give them credit where its due.

Besides, technically speaking being gay( or bi in this case) isn't the norm (statistically speaking). Not uncommon or wrong, but it's a minority by far.
There was actually a meltdown at the Mewtwo social on the issue:crazy:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Wait a minute read this again!
"There is a fighter ballot on the official Smash for Wii U/3DS website. We’ve received an extremely large number of votes, but of course, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were in developed even before the ballot was created. I had a grasp on their popularity and demand, though.

From now until the end, it is going to be fan service , but I can’t keep the development team together forever, so there’s only going to be several more characters . I also ask for your patience, as we need time to develop more content."
HE never said ballot characters only, and he acknowledged the popularity of Lucas and Roy, Ryu popularity pre leak= bs.
I think we all jumped to a big conclusion, this doesn't confirm anything except that Sakurai's gonna be trying to please the fans till the end, never said no more pre ballot characters. I think he was acknowledging that he understood the popularity of Lucas and Roy before the ballot, but just to be safe I'll just keep voting Wolf till he's confirmed, but I think Etika jumped the gun a bit prematurely, as usual:glare:. Someone please send him here so we can make a leak buster out of him... I expect that song parody in 5,4,3,

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's see... Mewtwo was first shown on October 23rd and was released April 15th so that's about 174 days of development or nearly half a year. However he was certainly in development before then and from the game data we know Ryu, Lucas and Roy were in development at roughly the same time, with them coming out a couple of weeks ago.

Let's say, they started work on characters 5+6 as soon as the E3 direct was over, that woud mean at least December time before we'd get anything. And if they started after October then that would be April 2016 before we saw King K. Rool.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Let's see... Mewtwo was first shown on October 23rd and was released April 15th so that's about 174 days of development or nearly half a year. However he was certainly in development before then and from the game data we know Ryu, Lucas and Roy were in development at roughly the same time, with them coming out a couple of weeks ago.

Let's say, they started work on characters 5+6 as soon as the E3 direct was over, that woud mean at least December time before we'd get anything. And if they started after October then that would be April 2016 before we saw King K. Rool.
People can't wait until December for just a character announcement, the people would have already turned on Sakurai and co and devoured them for being starved for 6 months with no character to look forward to. No one will be sane or safe.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Wait a minute read this again!
"There is a fighter ballot on the official Smash for Wii U/3DS website. We’ve received an extremely large number of votes, but of course, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were in developed even before the ballot was created. I had a grasp on their popularity and demand, though.

From now until the end, it is going to be fan service , but I can’t keep the development team together forever, so there’s only going to be several more characters . I also ask for your patience, as we need time to develop more content."
HE never said ballot characters only, and he acknowledged the popularity of Lucas and Roy, Ryu popularity pre leak= bs.
I think we all jumped to a big conclusion, this doesn't confirm anything except that Sakurai's gonna be trying to please the fans till the end, never said no more pre ballot characters. I think he was acknowledging that he understood the popularity of Lucas and Roy before the ballot, but just to be safe I'll just keep voting Wolf till he's confirmed, but I think Etika jumped the gun a bit prematurely, as usual:glare:. Someone please send him here so we can make a leak buster out of him... I expect that song parody in 5,4,3,
People are definitely jumping to conclusions when they say that pre-ballot is done. We simply don't know enough to make that assumption at all.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
People are definitely jumping to conclusions when they say that pre-ballot is done. We simply don't know enough to make that assumption at all.
:wolf:: "I'm owed an apology, and I WILL have it!"
By jumping to conclusions, we cause mass hysteria and insanity. Next time check your facts. (note I'm not directing all this at you @ TheAnvil TheAnvil )

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Is FE:Fates not good?

On the subject of DLC characters, if there are no more pre-ballet characters, they where honestly pretty stupid not to stager the release of the Roy and Ryu. I mean, we now have a good few months until the ballot ends, and then some time until the first character could possibly be done. If they waited to put Roy in August and Ryu in Novemer/October things would flow better and we would always have someone to look forward to up until the ballot ends and that becomes the focus. besides, i honestly despise things being announced at their release or to close. I mean, something thats free to maybe $5, sure, people can deal with that. but even $20 can make some people have to save, especially children and teenagers, whitch is a majority portain of the smash audience, so dropping that on them isnt good (I was fine, but i can only imagine that was bad for someone, and even then, it put a dent in my plans). Hell, even FallOut 4 im a little annoyed about, it gives us about 6 months to plan ahead for its release, but given i dont have the console, im going to have to find a way to work getting a PS4/Xbox One or substancially more powerful PC into my budjet (im probably going to go with a PS4). But im rambling, the point is that the fact that they didnt stagger Roy and Ryu is stupid given that we now probably have to wait almost a year after what was litterally 3 at once (that is, unless maybe they started doing ballot characters before the ballot finished, if they started a month after the ballot started with a simpler character, then it might work?)

Also, I just picked up the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle, im having tones of fun.

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
It doesn't take clairvoyance to know Geno will never be playable in Smash.

It takes an ounce of common sense and critical thinking.
On geno, I think the reasons he wont get in are twofold-

1. The common/obvious he's owned by squarenix, and there is no way in hell they are going to just let them do that until ATLEAST they get a rep in smash. not to mention that with SqEn current way of doing things, i kind of doubt they would let anyone in unless there was un upcoming game of it anyway. Not to mention how Nintendo and Square dont seem to be in very good terms since Mario RPG considering they wouldnt even let them name Paper Mario, Mario RPG 2.

2. Even if he was a nintendo character, I dont think its entirly likely he would get in anyway. I mean hes a side character from a one-off game franchise that moved on into two other game franchises that still have no rep besides one stage in the 3DS version.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Not to mention how Nintendo and Square dont seem to be in very good terms since Mario RPG considering they wouldnt even let them name Paper Mario, Mario RPG 2.
They've long since patched up their differences.

Square has actually developed at least three Mario games since they fell out with Nintendo. No new RPG, obviously, but they made Fortune Street (which actually features a quite nice reference to SMRPG in the form of a remix of its Mushroom Kingdom theme on the Peach's Castle board), Mario Sports Mix, and Mario Hoops 3-on-3. Geno himself had a very minor cameo in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

I don't think Square would be unwilling to let Nintendo use Geno again; it's that I don't think either party particularly cares about using him again. He's useless to both of them and not worth the negotiating it would take.

At the same time, people are jumping to conclusions in thinking that we're confirmed to be getting more than two.

There's nothing concrete pointing either way. We're in the same spot we were before.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Of all the pre-ballot characters the only one without an active demand from the Smash 4 build-up was Ryu and he's still an icon of gaming. I don't think there'll be any very unexpected character for DLC. It's not a good business model.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
At the same time, people are jumping to conclusions in thinking that we're confirmed to be getting more than two.

There's nothing concrete pointing either way. We're in the same spot we were before.
Exactly.

A lot of people seem to be hinging this "no more pre-ballot" stuff on Sakurai saying that from now on it's fan-service. But Roy and Lucas were pure Fan Service also, he directly stated this himself by referring to them as popular requests.

Nothing has changed since before the Famitsu article was translated. All we know for sure is that there are still 2 more placeholder files for DLC characters. We could get more, or we could get 2. Anything other than that is pure speculation.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
The(hilariously unlikely) other possibility is Sylux being added precisely to promote Metroid in Sm4sh. It's basically the most viable choice for a Metroid character at the moment unless Smash 5 becomes a thing and a different director takes Sakurai's place.

With what we know, Kensuke Tanabe most likely plans to make Sylux a recurring character.
Which is a good thing as far as i'm concerned. Metroid needs more recurring characters that aren't Ridley and Mother Brain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom