• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You can find some here, all the official artwork of Sable is here. I think a few of have the sword with it.
Thanks, although I think an official 3D model to go off with would probably be better in the long run as I'd have a better sense of proportions and scale etc as well as having a more clear front and side view to work with too. More or less the same as my high poly Wind Waker Zelda model. Thanks anyway though, Blue. ^^

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Apparently, Prince Sable's sword had unused textures, said by my friend here:

I want to know if thats true.
If you have the time @ PushDustIn PushDustIn
It's on TCRF. They designed the thing that holds the sword (I just woke up, please excuse me) even though you can never see it. Probably done before they decided what his attack was going to be.

@ PushDustIn PushDustIn Your site got a shout-out and so did your article
One thing that we did with this translation was that we requested sites NOT post the full translation. I wrote a full write up explaining why, and now the other translators and I include it on every translation we do.

The good news is that it's worked. AFAIK no one has just copy and pasted our article! Some sites have summarized us, while others have included only a short quote and then the link.

Today is the best day for follows (+4 new followers), we already have 25,000+ views, and almost 10 comments (most people comment on other sites). So I'm pretty happy that we are getting more recognized for the work we do!

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It's on TCRF. They designed the thing that holds the sword (I just woke up, please excuse me) even though you can never see it. Probably done before they decided what his attack was going to be.

One thing that we did with this translation was that we requested sites NOT post the full translation. I wrote a full write up explaining why, and now the other translators and I include it on every translation we do.

The good news is that it's worked. AFAIK no one has just copy and pasted our article! Some sites have summarized us, while others have included only a short quote and then the link.

Today is the best day for follows (+4 new followers), we already have 25,000+ views, and almost 10 comments (most people comment on other sites). So I'm pretty happy that we are getting more recognized for the work we do!
So I just wanted to ask you if you could answer my question from earlier?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
It's going to be fun getting to know you all!

I believe you're a very experienced data miner, so I'll ask you first. There have been many misconceptions regarding these files in the game's data, some people say they're reserved for 5 ballot characters, while others say that Lucas, Roy, and Ryu have taken them up already, while others say they aren't even placeholders, so I want to know what's already known about them and if any of the information I posted above is true or not. So please, if you will.
Btw, welcome to our group!

I think you are talking about the reserved character slots found in the 3DS.
Original article

Essentially, @shinyquagsire23 found five extra Marios after Mewtwo was released in the character database. Now we aren't going to get 5 Marios but they are just the temp names for the Dlc characters. We now know 3 were for Roy, Ryu and Lucas. The last two are for ballots ("from now on its going to be fan service"), but we have no idea if they are going to add more.

I wrote my own opinions pre-this weeks-Famitsu here. They haven't changed much, but I do admit there is a stronger chance we will get more than two characters. However, Sakurai's comment about development not being able to go forever means it might be less than some of the more generous estimates (5+ characters for example).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I could see a third party DLC if the company was easy to work with at the negotiation table. Just about the only thing Shantae and Shovel Knight have going for them outside of dedicated fan-bases.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Btw, welcome to our group!

I think you are talking about the reserved character slots found in the 3DS.
Original article

Essentially, @shinyquagsire23 found five extra Marios after Mewtwo was released in the character database. Now we aren't going to get 5 Marios but they are just the temp names for the Dlc characters. We now know 3 were for Roy, Ryu and Lucas. The last two are for ballots ("from now on its going to be fan service"), but we have no idea if they are going to add more.

I wrote my own opinions pre-this weeks-Famitsu here. They haven't changed much, but I do admit there is a stronger chance we will get more than two characters. However, Sakurai's comment about development not being able to go forever means it might be less than some of the more generous estimates (5+ characters for example).
First off, thanks, second, two slots, well, we're probably going to get more slots due to what Sakurai said in the most recent Famitsu article, most likely for 5 characters, but who will these be? Taking fanservice into account, let's look at the most logical characters. 5 characters.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So....
We have an update confirmed update in August.

Do you think....

A) We get no character.
B) We get the last/last two pre ballot character(s) :wolf:?
C) We get a ballot character

Also....

How many more DLC characters do you think we'll get.
A) 2
B) 3
C) 4
D) 5
E) 6+

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So....
We have an update confirmed update in August.

Do you think....

A) We get no character.
B) We get the last/last two pre ballot character(s) :wolf:?
C) We get a ballot character

Also....

How many more DLC characters do you think we'll get.
A) 2
B) 3
C) 4
D) 5
E) 6+
I think we'll get one more pre-ballot character in August, probably Wolf, and I believe we'll get 3 ballot characters.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Pre-Ballot is finished
B or C (60%). A and D are also a possibility (40%)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'd say 7 would be the max, and even that is being hella generous aside from being a pipe dream in and of itself

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
While I doubt we'll see ballot character before the ballot ends, I think production will begin well before then. The ballots been out for months so they have a good idea of which characters are popular, and since it's just a vote of interest Sakurai doesnt need 100% accuracy in the vote; he just needs to see where his wants and the player wants interact. And though I do expect some shifts to occur, I don't expect major shifts in ranking; 1st place going to 3rd or 4th isnt much when there's hundreds (or at the very least several dozen) characters in the pole. Plus (assuming a 3rd party character is chosen, they'd need time for negotiations).

That said.....I cant wait till this is all over. I'd like to see how well the chosen characters match our expectations. I personally doubt certain characters are as popular as many believe, but I also don't think popularity matters that much; though, I fully expect an "I told you so" or two from people drawing false conclusions for why a character was picked.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Pre-Ballot is finished
B or C (60%). A and D are also a possibility (40%)
wait....

You said he didn;t really said several and it was so ambiguous to be a "number"

He said "only" before that number.....

You at least were thinking that the last 2 slots was all it was left.....

Can you explain me now why 2 is no longer the most likely number?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm not sure I truly trust the translation because ''Only several more." isn't exactly something that makes sense.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
@ PushDustIn PushDustIn
More exposture this time through etika.Not sure if this is irony or not knowing your feelings on the guy
I actually don't mind Etika. I think he's an entertainer, and he works his butt off. He gets some information incorrect because he rushes to post though. I kind of laughed when he did a video cut, as he probably read that line about not reposting the full translation.

For example, Etika doesn't have a clear understanding of Sakurai's job. Sakurai is a freelance employee, so he doesn't have complete control over his own development. He said partly because of the lack of his own studio, that's why the two versions of Smash for were developed at the same time.

Also, I don't think Sakurai lied. He said no Dlc was planned or held back when the game was being made. Which is 100% true. After all, we are still missing the Chorus Men and the Dr. Mario/ Brain Age stages.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Fun thought: Dr' Mario being differentiated so much from Mario compared to Lucina/Dark Pit plus the Dr. Mario stage leads me to believe Doc was added earlier in the development cycle than DP or Lucina, maybe.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I actually don't mind Etika. I think he's an entertainer, and he works his butt off. He gets some information incorrect because he rushes to post though. I kind of laughed when he did a video cut, as he probably read that line about not reposting the full translation.

For example, Etika doesn't have a clear understanding of Sakurai's job. Sakurai is a freelance employee, so he doesn't have complete control over his own development. He said partly because of the lack of his own studio, that's why the two versions of Smash for were developed at the same time.

Also, I don't think Sakurai lied. He said no Dlc was planned or held back when the game was being made. Which is 100% true. After all, we are still missing the Chorus Men and the Dr. Mario/ Brain Age stages.
So wait Chorus men were officially planned O.O
Well I know who I think own those last two spots.
Mind you I don't know what's going on here right now XD
I'm so lost and confused.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Fun thought: Dr' Mario being differentiated so much from Mario compared to Lucina/Dark Pit plus the Dr. Mario stage leads me to believe Doc was added earlier in the development cycle than DP or Lucina, maybe.
I believe Sakurai has stated Dr. Mario was the first to be added, and Dark Pit the last.

So wait Chorus men were officially planned O.O
Well I know who I think own those last two spots.
Mind you I don't know what's going on here right now XD
I'm so lost and confused.
Heavily speculated. I found the emblem reference among the other characters. Personally, I think the first two Gematsu was 100% correct. Shulk trailer was being arrogant.

I'm not sure I truly trust the translation because ''Only several more." isn't exactly something that makes sense.
Here's the Japanese:
これからは、あくまでサービスだし、いつまでもチームを断続できるわけでもないので、あと数体の配信となりそうです。
Personally, I would have translated the first part as:

From now on, until the very end we will put out fan service. However, it seems that we can only (release a number of / several) characters as the team can't take a break....
For a "number of" or "several" it's really just personally preference.

If I wanted to be less literal I'd done:
From now on, until the very end we will only put out highly requested content. However, since the team can't stay together forever, we can release only release some more characters.

But Soma was the main translator, so it was his call. @Aeris approved of it too.

wait....

You said he didn;t really said several and it was so ambiguous to be a "number"

He said "only" before that number.....

You at least were thinking that the last 2 slots was all it was left.....

Can you explain me now why 2 is no longer the most likely number?
Sakurai just says "a number". However, since he mentions that he cant keep the development team around forever, I'd imagine its less than 5.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Nintendo is having their shareholders meeting right now and doing their Q&A session.

Here some things you guys might want to know

New 3DS are selling like crazy in Japan but the normal 3DS sales are dropping

The NFC adapter for Normal 3DS/3DS XL and 2DS will be releasing soon.

Mario Kart 8 at 5.11m, Smash Wii U at 3.65m. Wii U HW 2.88m.

Also expect some information on the Theme Park deal with Universal and the possible movie deals as well. Plus we might get some more info on their mobile situation

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Eh... to be honest, what I think will determine if we get more characters or not is if more slots are added in the August update. I personally feel we might get more characters as there seems to be slots for seven stages. These slots are not connected in any way (you can't just use a stage slot to load character data :p), but if Peach's Castle and Hyrule Castle is all that's coming, that means there's potentially more stage DLC beyond August making it plausible for new characters beyond that update (assuming we get two new characters in the update.)

Nintendo is having their shareholders meeting right now and doing their Q&A session.

Also expect some information on the Theme Park deal with Universal and the possible movie deals as well. Plus we might get some more info on their mobile situation

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Here are some more stuff

Continuing with film adaptations and character merchandizing to increase mind-share of IPs. Ex: Universal agreement. More later.

Making a marketing appeal for the IPs through experiences only possible at theme parks.

Making progress with QOL. (No details given.)

Here's the first Q&A
Q1: There's a difference in value on packaged and download versions of 3DS and Wii U software.

A1: Iwata: We believe download versions have the same value and should be priced the same. Some companies price DLs cheaper due to the there being no used sales or store price reductions. We stress the value of Nintendo software, so we price the same.

Edit:
Download versions aren't activated without going through the register first. Being on-demand, there is no inventory risk.

Nintendo cannot control the price of packaged versions. Doing so would infringe the law. We know some aren't satisfied w/o a diff.

We plan to provide some benefit with the new membership service starting in the fall.

CLUB NINTENDO IS GETTING REVAMP THIS FALL. EXPECT SOME NEW STUFF COMING IN

Or it's pretty much a PSN/XBL situation

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Here are some more stuff

Continuing with film adaptations and character merchandizing to increase mind-share of IPs. Ex: Universal agreement. More later.

Making a marketing appeal for the IPs through experiences only possible at theme parks.

Making progress with QOL. (No details given.)

Here's the first Q&A
Q1: There's a difference in value on packaged and download versions of 3DS and Wii U software.

A1: Iwata: We believe download versions have the same value and should be priced the same. Some companies price DLs cheaper due to the there being no used sales or store price reductions. We stress the value of Nintendo software, so we price the same.
Hope they bring up unified accounts. I own some dlc and digital games and I am incredibly uneasy about it.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Iwata just confirmed that they are talking with third parties for the NX. More info will be in 2016 as a surprise showing Innovation

Oh boy, we got a full year before we get info on NX now and so this might be the Wii U last hurrah in 2016

Hope they bring up unified accounts. I own some dlc and digital games and I am incredibly uneasy about it.
They should consider Sony and MS have those for their systems. Plus make it easier for Smash DLC as well

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Okay, here's who I think will be DLC through the ballot, some are saying seven slots, but I think we'll just get five slots, I think we'll get three newcomers, one veteran, and one 3rd party character, also Snake is a veteran and a 3rd party character and considering Konami's current situation I doubt he'll be in, so without further ado, let's get started.

Newcomers:

King K. Rool: This is the most obvious choice, this was chosen because of his popularity, moveset potential, and lack of DK characters, so he's practically a given.

Bandana Waddle Dee (Aka:Bandana Dee or Waddle Dee): This character is yet another extremely popular pick, not only that but he'd provide diversity with his spear based moveset, the first for a Smash Bros character, not only that but Kirby being Nintendo's most popular franchises lacks a new rep like DK, and not only that but with Sakurai having past work with the Kirby series and even creating the character, he'd know what to do with him.

Issac: This character is also an incredibly popular pick, first appearing in Golden Sun and later appearing in Super Smash Bros Brawl as an Assist Trophy, Issac's popularity skyrocketted, but was cut in the most recent installment of Smash Bros, with the only representation being three songs, which were all either ripped from Golden Sun games, or Brawl, he'd be a swordfighter like no other, being able to use Psyenergey, which lets him use special powers, and his sword, combine these and you have a very unique fighter he also has no representation outside of musc either, so he could represent a property new to the Smash Bros series with playable status.

Veterans:

Wolf: Wolf was cut in the latest installment of Smash Bros, but has major popularity, being the most requested cut veteran, was similar to Fox, but diverse enough to warrant his own slot, and Star Fox lacks representation in the forms of playable characters, and with a new game coming out, Wolf's time to shine seems better than ever.

3rd Party:

Shantae: Shantae is an inde character owned by the company Wayforward Technologies, and has had an abnormal amout of appearances for an inde character, as she has has appearances in over 5 games counting the upcoming Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero, which was recently crowdfunded on Kickstarter, she has had strong support Internationally and is steadily picking up in Japan, and would offer a different experience as she has a wide verity of transformations which involve an elephant, a mermaid and ex. plus she can also use her hair in a verity of different ways, also her series has no representation, which would make her series entirely new to the Smash Bros series.

So those who I predict for the ballot, their popularity was all based off of both Japan and internationally, if anyone has any questions or suggestions regarding my list, please make sure to ask or suggest, I hope you like it.

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I swear to Arceus, if Lucas and Roy get to come back while Wolf gets the shaft AGAIN, there will be some serious salt flowing from this keyboard.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight

Neat, I was expecting some interesting things to come out of the shareholders meeting. Nothing like major game announcements but it will be great if we hear some of the plans for the Universal/Nintendo theme park deal.

By the way does anyone else find it funny that the theme park deal with universal happened, what with the whole Universal trying to sue Nintendo over the original arcade Donkey Kong.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
There's no reason to hate on any other character if Wolf doesn't make it.

Hate to be blunt as I've kicked Burb's ass about it in the past (or at least tried) but I'm gonna be blunt.

Grow the **** up.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Not to mention that these characters are also in,:4darkpit::4drmario:
Wolf is far less of a clone than Dark Pit and Dr. Mario. He would have taken up more development time.

There's no reason to hate on any other character if Wolf doesn't make it.

Hate to be blunt as I've kicked Burb's *** about it in the past (or at least tried) but I'm gonna be blunt.

Grow the **** up.
Also, this.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Here's something interesting:

From Iwata : NX is so new hard , it will pile up from 0 units . On the other hand there is a certain degree of spread volume for 3DS and Wii U in . Since the new machine came out , on the business also not out old hardware software immediately , inefficient . While the preparation of NX and continue to make software 3DS / Wii U.

Nintendo won't cease development of Wii U/3DS games while NX is out.

Which isn't special unless Wii U will still get some exclusives

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Perhaps I wasn't being clear,
No offense this image instantly becomes the tackiest promo for a character I have ever seen.

The minute you throw another character under the bus to raise your character up? You instantly make your whole mission look trashy.

Dark Pit is an important character in his series.

Doctor Mario is an important part of puzzle gaming in Nintendo's history.

Lucas is the main character of his cult favorite game (probably the biggest cult game Nintendo's got.)

I don't know much about Roy's Fire Emblem history, but I'm sure he's just as worthy of returning in some way.

Don't be that guy.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Here's something interesting:

From Iwata : NX is so new hard , it will pile up from 0 units . On the other hand there is a certain degree of spread volume for 3DS and Wii U in . Since the new machine came out , on the business also not out old hardware software immediately , inefficient . While the preparation of NX and continue to make software 3DS / Wii U.

Nintendo won't cease development of Wii U/3DS games while NX is out.

Which isn't special unless Wii U will still get some exclusives
So they're going for the 'Third Pillar' approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom