• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I suppose it's worth mentioning that Isaac's era hardly has gotten any character representation in Smash. Like, there aren't a lot of characters that debuted from 1999 to 2005 in general that got a lot of backing. Only two new franchises from this era were ever implemented (Pikmin and Animal Crossing).

Is there any particular reason that this late N64/Gamecube era is less represented than other eras?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Club Nintendo is the new Amazon.
Dude if Nintendo had an online store dedicated to merchandise from their franchises, where you could get things through points from registering games and hardware or just by outright buying it?

I'd abuse the hell out of it.

Nintendo Store Online would be amazing.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Dude if Nintendo had an online store dedicated to merchandise from their franchises, where you could get things through points from registering games and hardware or just by outright buying it?

I'd abuse the hell out of it.

Nintendo Store Online would be amazing.
Amiibos should be exclusive rewards like that.
You buy the game, register it, gets point, Nintendo feeds you a rare amiibo.
Kinda cheap but it's a hell of a lot better than what they're doing right now.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yes definitely.
I feel the same way about Resident Evil (sorry for mentioning it though) Phoenix Wright, and Bravely Default.
I'm actually a bit upset that Sakurai came out and said not to expect a lot of new stages. I would love to see franchises that do no have playable characters be represented with stages. The grave yard from Ghost N' Goblins would be at the top of my list, but I could easily see a RE based stage make it in.

Actually, it was third to last. The Adventure Rebirth for WiiWare came in between Judgment and Harmony of Despair.
I almost forgot about that! I was actually playing that recently on the Virtual Wii portion of my Wii U. All the Rebirth games (at least the ones I played, being Castlevania and Contra) were a lot of fun.

Final Fantasy, Phoenix Wright, Scribblenauts, Professor Layton, Castlevania, Rayman, and Bomberman are my most thought about third party franchises when it comes to Smash.
Good all around list, I actually don't have a problem with any of those choices... although Scribblenauts seems a bit too new and Western. Maxwell would be the ultimate summoning character, though.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I never really realized how ugly this game is before.

I'm the only one here who loved the Udon artstyle. Even then my main gripe is its music aside from Ryu and Cammy's theme. Clamato Fever is GOAT

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Good all around list, I actually don't have a problem with any of those choices... although Scribblenauts seems a bit too new and Western. Maxwell would be the ultimate summoning character, though.
Scribblenauts isn't that new. If I remember correctly its first game came out before Xenoblade Chronicles did.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So, I actually got a message on skype like some hours before, but I was so stupid to not have paid attention, here's an hour of paper Jam:

Now, if you excuse me, I have that video to watch :)
So we had Mario & Luigi games with Bowser, Luigi and (Paper) Mario at the center of the plot (I suppose the baby bros too). Princess Peach or Toad as a sidekick for the next Mario & Luigi perhaps? (Toad was actually the first character you could play as in the first Mario & Luigi if I recall correctly)

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm actually a bit upset that Sakurai came out and said not to expect a lot of new stages. I would love to see franchises that do no have playable characters be represented with stages. The grave yard from Ghost N' Goblins would be at the top of my list, but I could easily see a RE based stage make it in.
A stage with music is one of the (many, many) I want Resident Evil repped in Smash. They could have the Queen Zenobia from Revelations.
You fight on top of the tugboat which sails on the stormy sea around the Queen Zenobia. When the tugboat passes by the cruise ship Hunters will drop from the cruise ship onto the tugboat and fight the players.
And, of course, the main theme playing on the stage is this:
It's just so perfect. :b:

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So we had Mario & Luigi games with Bowser, Luigi and (Paper) Mario at the center of the plot (I suppose the baby bros too). Princess Peach or Toad as a sidekick for the next Mario & Luigi perhaps? (Toad was actually the first character you could play as in the first Mario & Luigi if I recall correctly)
don;t put the parentheses, Paper Mario is now his name :)

also, I actually don;t get the point you're trying to say.....could you restate?

D

Deleted member

How about something that's been long overdue...

D

Deleted member

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
There needs to be a two-player Wario World sequel with Wario and Waluigi.
Add Ashley and Jimmy T. for player 3-4 if necessary.
Not saying this to be biased, but Mona would fit better than Ashley in that setting.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Speaking of paper jam, I was wondering.

Do you think it;s now possible to see dlc of paper mario elsewhere?

cause tbh, i never thought they would go for another series. It could be stuff like mk stuff, anything :)

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Oh look, the generic "lol, ask Sakurai" answer that everyone and their grandma gives whenever someone asks them about Smash as if they're going to outright say anything.
So if we asked Sakurai, he'd say to "Ask Sakurai."?
I think we're on to something.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
don;t put the parentheses, Paper Mario is now his name :)

also, I actually don;t get the point you're trying to say.....could you restate?
I put them up as in, both Mario and Paper Mario, guess I should have made that a bit more clear....

And I was talking a bit more on the plot in Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team where a bit more heavily focused on Bowser and Luigi respectively and Mario and Paper Mario (mostly Paper Mario though) seem to for this game. So I was just like "hey, perhaps next game might be a bit more focused on Peach, Toad or Yoshi" but most probably not though, just thinking out loud.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I put them up as in, both Mario and Paper Mario, guess I should have made that a bit more clear....

And I was talking a bit more on the plot in Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team where a bit more heavily focused on Bowser and Luigi respectively and Mario and Paper Mario (mostly Paper Mario though) seem to for this game. So I was just like "hey, perhaps next game might be a bit more focused on Peach, Toad or Yoshi" but most probably not though, just thinking out loud.
Yoshi would be great though.....

OR PAPER YOSHI FROM TTYD!!!!

lol :)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Not saying this to be biased, but Mona would fit better than Ashley in that setting.
Well I was going to say Mona but I figured someone would call me out on it for some reason.
That happens a lot actually. I want to say one thing but then I don't because I feel like someone won't agree with it...
Then someone says, "why didn't you say [thing I was thinking]?" Frustrating...:ohwell:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
New avatar. I'm in the mood to express my love of the buffyverse at the moment. I may change it back to Banjo at some point.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Scribblenauts isn't that new. If I remember correctly its first game came out before Xenoblade Chronicles did.
Yes, but all of our current third party characters have much more legacy than that. Guest characters are held to a different standard than Nintendo characters, after all.

Out of the 4 third party characters we've had thus far, 3 have debuted in the 80's. Sonic the odd man out, debuting in 1991. Pacman almost bucks this trend himself, as his game was designed in 79, but wasn't mass produced until 80.

The newest third party I could see get in would be someone like Rayman. That's just me, though.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Yes, but all of our current third party characters have much more legacy than that. Guest characters are held to a different standard than Nintendo characters, after all.

Out of the 4 third party characters we've had thus far, 3 have debuted in the 80's. Sonic the odd man out, debuting in 1991. Pacman almost bucks this trend himself, as him game was designed in 79, but wasn't mass produced until 80.

The newest third party I could see get in would be someone like Rayman. That's just me, though.
Here's how I see it.
If Shovel Knight can be considered a likely rep for Smash, then Maxwell can too.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I still just want Professor Layton, but he's probably going to need a miracle at this point.....
Layton is another character that I believe lacks the necessary legacy, but I do admit he would be a fun addition other wise.

Soul.

I like to think that instead of asking for characters, I think of how good they would be... competitively

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

I really love this stage. I also really love how I paused just in time to get the perfect reaction from him.

D

Deleted member

Wanna make any bets that the stage is going to be removed from the game before I even get a chance to fight on it?

Khoru

Smash Champion

Out of the 4 third party characters we've had thus far, 3 have debuted in the 80's. Sonic the odd man out, debuting in 1991. Pacman almost bucks this trend himself, as him game was designed in 79, but wasn't mass produced until 80.

possibly jibanyan? depends on how popular YW gets in the west i suppose

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I like to think that instead of asking for characters, I think of how good they would be... competitively
I never think about competitive play. I think Sakurai is right in that it should come second foremost to just making the game fun.

Not to knock competitive play by any means at all.

I'm good enough with favorite characters to fight my friends and family and that's all I really need.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
He pretty much just said vote for them in the Ballot and see what happens.

You know Ashely would work really well in an RPG setting.

Man I would love if there was a Mario game that combined all the spin-off series in a epic RPG like story.

I mean it would be hilarious to see all the main villains of the Mario franchises team up together. The comedic potential of Bowser, King K Rool, Kamek and Capt Syrup would be awesome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom