• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khoru

Smash Champion
The only real issue with Simon is that he isn't the face of his franchise (since the Belmonts are pretty much interchangeable and the most beloved installment in the series actually stars Alucard) and that he doesn't have an iconic design (since this also changes often.) Trevor and Richter Belmot at least have a very standard look and are always immediately recognizable. I would actually prefer the spot be a full on Koopaling spot, with each skin belonging to a different Belmont. Seems like a lot of work for a DLC character, though.
damn, that's actually a really great idea
simon's design is a really weird obstacle to his inclusion

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Except it even has less ambiguity to have a different name and pretty much everything to him standing out of mario.

Like, this was honestly the case before, Paper Jam just made it crystal clear.
Ehhh, I think there's more differences between the various Links than there is between Mario and Paper Mario.

The two Marios have different adventures, but their lives are the same for the most part. All the Links look similar, but they all have completely different lives, backstories, and even ages.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Honestly. If we got Isaac, Krool and Wolf.
I think I would have reached heaven.
My Reaction would be out of this world.
That's all I really want, besides a few out there third parties.

Please give us, at least, two newcomers and Wolf. Isaac and K. Rool would be my choices as well.

damn, that's actually a really great idea
simon's design is a really weird obstacle to his inclusion
Even Simon's sprites all look different.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ehhh, I think there's more differences between the various Links than there is between Mario and Paper Mario.

The two Marios have different adventures, but their lives are the same for the most part. All the Links look similar, but they all have completely different lives, backstories, and even ages.
Tbh, I kinda agree on this, it's just that for me, it doesn't sound as obvious.

Except the artstyle....that is quite obvious, but I mean the backstory, idk, I just don;t spend much time on checking stuff canon and more how they are presented officially.

like tbh, I just don;t pay much attention to the zelda timeline, sure, it;s official, but for me, it just doesn't matter that much when I play the games, they really feel a lot different anyway.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
The only real issue with Simon is that he isn't the face of his franchise (since the Belmonts are pretty much interchangeable and the most beloved installment in the series actually stars Alucard) and that he doesn't have an iconic design (since this also changes often.) Trevor and Richter Belmot at least have a very standard look and are always immediately recognizable. I would actually prefer the spot be a full on Koopaling spot, with each skin belonging to a different Belmont. Seems like a lot of work for a DLC character, though.

Castlevania was, like Megaman, such a staple of the NES and SNES libraries, though. It's the real reason people want him in. Well, that and his insane move set potential.

I agree with you about Capcom, although I wouldn't complain if we ever got Arthur or Phoenix Wright (or even another Megaman or SF rep, Chun Li and Zero being the most likely.)
My issue with Simon is more "Is Castlevania really iconic enough to be in Smash"? Castlevania's total sales figures seem to be significantly lower than that of Street Fighter, Pac-Man, Sonic, Mega Man and MGS. And it's hardly a household name. Just a quick look at the best selling NES and SNES games didn't seem to indicate that any 1 Castlevania game was close the top on either system.

I don't want the roster to become diluted with 3rd Party characters that don't really for lack of a better word "deserve" it. 3rd Party characters should be a special case, and it's because of that, that I think there are only a handful of characters left that warrent a spot in Smash. All of the 3rd Party characters so far are extremely special, iconic and important. Household names.

We've only had Triple A calibre 3rd Party characters until now, I hope it stays that way.

Sonic is the only 3rd Party franchise that I think could warrant a second character, Zero would stick out like a huge red flag. Even Chun Li would seem incongruous in a Nintendo All-Star game. Neither she, nor Zero are on the level of Mega Man or Ryu. Whereas one could argue that Sonic and Tails are a duo.

This is what bugs me about requests like Bayonetta, Geno, Sora etc.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Castlevania was, like Megaman, such a staple of the NES and SNES libraries, though. It's the real reason people want him in. Well, that and his insane move set potential.
I agree with you about Capcom, although I wouldn't complain if we ever got Arthur or Phoenix Wright (or even another Megaman or SF rep, Chun Li and Zero being the most likely.)
I still think if we get a Castlevania character it should be Dracula. Or maybe Alucard.
As for Capcom, I still want to see Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu.
(and a Resident Evil rep but I feel like you know that ;))

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
you just proved Geno moveset would be interesting than paper Mario and daisy also you forget that Geno killed a sword that's 3x bigger than a castle in 1 hit

If Geno wasn't important in Mario universe then why SMRPG talks mostly about Geno story also SMRPG was important in both Nintendo and square history
SMRPG was released worldwide in wii eshop
So 2 titles, both of which are the same. Whats that? Geno doesnt have anymore games and hasnt had any since?

Moveset wise, great. Legacy wise, not so much. Sakurai aint buying Geno just for Smash Bros

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'll be back when the topic isn't what character "deserve".

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
My issue with Simon is more "Is Castlevania really iconic enough to be in Smash"? Castlevania's total sales figures seem to be significantly lower than that of Street Fighter, Pac-Man, Sonic, Mega Man and MGS. And it's hardly a household name. Just a quick look at the best selling NES and SNES games didn't seem to indicate that any 1 Castlevania game was close the top on either system.

I don't want the roster to become diluted with 3rd Party characters that don't really for lack of a better word "deserve" it. 3rd Party characters should be a special case, and it's because of that, that I think there are only a handful of characters left that warrent a spot in Smash. All of the 3rd Party characters so far are extremely special, iconic and important. Household names.

We've only had Triple A calibre 3rd Party characters until now, I hope it stays that way.

Sonic is the only 3rd Party franchise that I think could warrant a second character, Zero would stick out like a huge red flag. Even Chun Li would seem incongruous in a Nintendo All-Star game. Neither she, nor Zero are on the level of Mega Man or Ryu. Whereas one could argue that Sonic and Tails are a duo.

This is what bugs me about requests like Bayonetta, Geno, Sora etc.
Castlevania's sold over 20 million units as a series, that puts it in the same category as Rayman.

Your frame of reference in regards to games seems far removed from mine, and I'm sure that has to do with both geography and age. I remember having many conversations with you about whether or not Megaman was really a NES icon, and to me and my friend growing up Megaman was synonymous with Nintendo. Castlevania was not that far off from that. His appearance in Captain N and on the cover to multiple Nintendo Power magazines is testament to that.

Frogger is also at over 20 million, by the way.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Well, GameStop is back to their old 2004 model

View attachment 57996
And guess what they have in stock?

Paper Mario is from a Storybook. Calling it now
WTF Mega Man 2 for NES goes for 35 Gamestop? lol I'm pretty sure it goes for much cheaper on ebay for like... 10 dollars last time I've checked.

Wait... I last checked that a few years ago... Let's see how much it is now-

OH GOD I WAS WRONG

Soul.

The way how these posts look and sound reminds me of that one stickied thread in the character boards.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
If Simon Belmont was ever included, wouldn't this be the best design to us?

Although it kinda looks like a gay stripper-

Erm...
Never mind.
Judgement was the worst thing that happened to Castlevania and I've played Lords of Shadows and the N64 game.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
WTF Mega Man 2 for NES goes for 35 Gamestop? lol I'm pretty sure it goes for much cheaper on ebay for like... 10 dollars last time I've checked.

Wait... I last checked that a few years ago... Let's see how much it is now-

OH GOD I WAS WRONG
Apparently I have over $200 worth of NES games.....I have no wish to cash in. I love my babies =3

Naoshi

Apparently I have over $200 worth of NES games.....I have no wish to cash in. I love my babies =3
I own every Mega Man game for the NES. At the time, Mega Man 1 and 5 were the most expensive ones of the NES games, being about 30 dollar each. Mega Man 2, 3, 4 and sometimes 6 were like 10 dollars.

They all seem to have skyrocketed in price. I recall Mega Man 5 is now 80 bucks.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I should go over my game collection some day. I have both Symphony of the Night and Super Metroid unopened SOMEWHERE in my house. Plus I have games like Duck Tales 2, E.V.O the Search for Eden, and Earthbound that I know are worth a little bit at least.

I own every Mega Man game for the NES. At the time, Mega Man 1 and 5 were the most expensive ones of the NES games, being about 30 dollar each. Mega Man 2, 3, 4 and sometimes 6 were like 10 dollars.

They all seem to have skyrocketed in price. I recall Mega Man 5 is now 80 bucks.
Me too. My copy of Megaman 2 has the sticker that came with the game on the back, it's Megaman riding item 2.

What? I was a kid when the game came out and I thought the sticker was cool.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

You don't wanna know how much Mega Man 8 for the Sega Saturn goes and that's the definitive version. Then there's the PS1 version Megaman X3

Naoshi

You don't wanna know how much Mega Man 8 for the Sega Saturn goes and that's the definitive version. Then there's the PS1 version Megaman X3
Yeah, MM8 for Saturn was super rare. I recall it being nearly a 100 last time I've checked.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Castlevania's sold over 20 million units as a series, that put's it in the same category as Rayman.

Your frame of reference in regards to games seems far removed from mine, and I'm sure that has to do with both geography and age. I remember having many conversations with you about whether or not Megaman was really a NES icon, and to me and my friend growing up Megaman was synonymous with Nintendo. Castlevania was not that far off from that. His appearance in Captain N and on the cover to multiple Nintendo Power magazines is testament to that.

Frogger is also at over 20 million, by the way.
Granted I'm not at all familiar with Castlevania, but that alone could be a tell-tale sign. I just asked my older brother what his experience with it was growing up at the time, and he said he one of them on the NES, he referred to it as "hard" and compared it to "Digger T. Rock". I've been gaming for pretty much my entire life, and from my personal experience, castlevania isn't held in the same regard as Street Fighter, Metal Gear or the other franchises so far.

I did see it was at 20 million, which is about 10m lower than the lowest selling 3rd Party franchise so far. If you include Rabbids (which you should as Rayman is in at least a couple of them), then Rayman's closer to 40m. Which is actually higher than Street Fighter, MGS or Mega Man. It's not all about total sales though, other factors play into it such as legacy, influence on gaming, relationship to Nintendo etc etc.

I feel like adding a Castlevania character would be like moving the bar of the standard for 3rd Party characters lower.

Naoshi

I actually scored a copy of Misadventures of Tron Bonne on amazon a few years ago for 15. It was there for nearly all day, I was surprised no one jumped on that. That game is typically 160+ dollars now.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Granted I'm not at all familiar with Castlevania, but that alone could be a tell-tale sign. I just asked my older brother what his experience with it was growing up at the time, and he said he one of them on the NES, he referred to it as "hard" and compared it to "Digger T. Rock". I've been gaming for pretty much my entire life, and from my personal experience, castlevania isn't held in the same regard as Street Fighter, Metal Gear or the other franchises so far.

I did see it was at 20 million, which is about 10m lower than the lowest selling 3rd Party franchise so far. If you include Rabbids (which you should as Rayman is in at least a couple of them), then Rayman's closer to 40m. Which is actually higher than Street Fighter, MGS or Mega Man. It's not all about total sales though, other factors play into it such as legacy, influence on gaming, relationship to Nintendo etc etc.

I feel like adding a Castlevania character would be like moving the bar of the standard for 3rd Party characters lower.
You want to talk about Legacy? It helped coin the term for a genre. Metroid only had 3 games out when people started to refer to games as "Metroidvanias."

Prior to the PS1 release of Metal Gear Solid, it was easily the most visible Konami franchise, although Gradius and Contra were close.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
you just proved Geno moveset would be interesting than paper Mario and daisy also you forget that Geno killed a sword that's 3x bigger than a castle in 1 hit

If Geno wasn't important in Mario universe then why SMRPG talks mostly about Geno story also SMRPG was important in both Nintendo and square history
SMRPG was released worldwide in wii eshop
Are you seriously saying Geno has a more interesting moveset potential then Paper Mario and Daisy?

Okay, Geno has one game to go of off. That's it. And most of his attacks in game are pretty easy to make. Where you have a lot more to work with Daisy and Paper Mario. With Daisy you can pull a lot from the different sports games she's been in, Mario party items and mechanics you could use as well. With Paper Mario, you have his partners from the first games, his transformation to progress through areas, the pixels from Super Paper Mario. Hell even the stickers could be more interesting because of all the different effects they have in game.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Yeah, MM8 for Saturn was super rare. I recall it being nearly a 100 last time I've checked.
It's more than that now. Check it again.

I think you're underrating Castlevania a bit. I has a major foothold in gaming for a while and it and Metroid share a genre name. It has major influence and its up there with Megaman as what it did with Nintendo during the NES/SNES days and others with them on handhelds as well.

Especially handhelds

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
By the way, I wish I could find more reliable sales numbers for Video games.

It's frustrating. Bomberman is never on best selling NES games lists, for example, although several games that just cleared a million are. Bomberman sold over a million in Japan alone.

Sticking with the Bomberman example, most places put the franchise at "over 10 million" sold, but I have a hard time believing that it's not at least double that. That number seems to come from a LONG time ago, and the series has had multiple million sellers with over 70 different games since 1984. VGCHARTZ has the series at closer to 20 million, but you can't really cite them and be taken seriously.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

It's frustrating. Bomberman is never on best selling NES games lists, for example, although several games that just cleared a million are. Bomberman sold over a million in Japan alone.

Sticking with the Bomberman example, most place put the franchise at "over 10 million" sold, but I have a hard time believing that it's not at least double that. That number seems to come from a LONG time ago, and the series has had multiple million sellers with over 70 different games since 1984. VGCHARTZ has the series at closer to 20 million, but you can't really cite them and be taken seriously.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I can't believe a franchise like that only sold 10 million.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Capcom is awesome because they release official numbers. I wish other companies would do the same.

Also, when did this become the Wii U/3DS general character discussion thread?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Capcom is awesome because they release official numbers. I wish other companies would do the same.

It was always like that. It's also Kickstarter discussion, Nintendo general discussion, gaming and multimedia discussion and shooting the breeze general. As long as we discuss anything video game related that's the deal but what our true goal is to discuss leaks and leak accessories. Home to Ridely, Gemastu, ESRB and Artsy Omni.

And data miners but no one cares about them

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The actual character thread is talking about Ridley.

I was going to make a joke about that and them I remembered that we just spent 3 pages discussing Geno.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Sticking with the Bomberman example, most place put the franchise at "over 10 million" sold, but I have a hard time believing that it's not at least double that. That number seems to come from a LONG time ago, and the series has had multiple million sellers with over 70 different games since 1984. VGCHARTZ has the series at closer to 20 million, but you can't really cite them and be taken seriously.
Hold on...
Does that Bomberman cover...does it seriously use "BOMB" as onomatopoeia for an explosion?
I agree. One thing Capcom does do right.
Also, there are no leaks to discuss.

Ivander

Smash Legend
The only real issue with Simon is that he isn't the face of his franchise (since the Belmonts are pretty much interchangeable and the most beloved installment in the series actually stars Alucard) and that he doesn't have an iconic design (since this also changes often.)
Despite the changes throughout the years, Simon has had red hair for a while now. He has had red hair in Chronicles, Judgment, Lords of Shadows and it was even used in the spin-offs Dream Mix Fighters and International Track & Field. And he's kept that red hair for a bit now, from 2001 to 2013.
The only other hair color he's used quite a bit is blonde hair, from Castlevania II, Captain N and X68000. He almost had blonde hair for his Chronicles look though according to concept art for Chronicles.
But really, I always thought the best way to work with Simon would be to use his Chronicles look(his most recent look that isn't spin-offs or Lords of Shadows), then have his colors and hair color be based off of the different Sprites or box arts he's had. I think that's the best way considering Pac-Man didn't have Ms. Pac-Man as an Alt and Ryu didn't get Ken or other characters like them as an Alt, so I doubt Simon would get any of the other Belmonts as Alts, as much cool as that would be. The closest thing for a different character Alt for Simon that isn't exactly a different character would be the Doppelganger from Chronicles, with blonde hair, green skin and that cool Snake Whip.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Hold on...
Does that Bomberman cover...does it seriously use "BOMB" as onomatopoeia for an explosion?

I agree. One thing Capcom does do right.
Also, there are no leaks to discuss.
That's the American cover art, you know how those things go.

I'm sure the Japanese Box is...

...never mind.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
That's the American cover art, you know how those things go.

I'm sure the Japanese Box is...

...never mind.

HUT, HUT, HIKE!

I hope I wasn't the only one who has thought of that

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Everyone's design in Judgment was WTF.
Except Alucard. He looks pretty much the same.
Well, him and Cornell, the werewolf got a pretty neat wolf-knight design from the transition.

Agreed, it would really be helpful to know what games are/were doing well and see how they stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom