• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Also people, not every third party NEEDS a character, and there is no reason why companies with multiple deserving reps (IE: Megaman and Ryu) should not have multiple reps over another company getting in just to say they have representation.

If a character isn't iconic or important, than I really don't feel like they deserve a guest spot in the Smash roster.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So the Pyuo Pop girl is the most requested Sega Character in Japan? That's make an intresting character for sure. The Tails/Knuckles/any second Sonic character bases may not take that so well.

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord
Prove to me that I am wrong
EDIT: here is a proof about what japan mostly have voted for
It's a bit hard to actually measure demand for a character since you have to take many different forums/sites into consideration, but I've just seen Sora mentioned more positively around the internet.

Also, I can't even read that second chart.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Although I will say King K. Rool's popularity is greatly exaggerated too.
He tops pretty much every poll.

I don't think there's any fanbase that's more greatly exaggerated in Smash than Isaac/Golden Sun's.

...I could honestly reword a lot of this and say it about Isaac.
No, you really couldn't, because it's not true.

Isaac does not perform as well in polls as K. Rool does.

no he isnt also he cant be added because of disney
So what? People still request him.

You're still requesting Geno even though he has no realistic chance either. What difference does it make?

Prove to me that I am wrong
EDIT: here is a proof about what japan mostly have voted for
Notice that, in this pie graph, Geno isn't even the most requested character from a Mario RPG.

Paper Mario is destroying him.

There's at least two Mario characters that people want to see added before Geno: Paper Mario and Daisy. Neither of them require permission from Square.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Oh Goemon, you truly are the Simon Belmont of the East.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
By the way, I collected the data for the first graph ;)

Smash 2 poll, I think Chocobo wins against Geno.

Geno may have gotten some votes, and his fan base is just as loud as it is in Japan than it is in the Us....but I don't see Geno being added to Smash. He's a third party character, and there are other Square characters which have more legacy and iconography than Geno.
in melee poll Geno didnt have alot of votes because there are way more important character like wario and peach and bowser but he made it in the melee poll at least

we can get more than 1 square character

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Would Metroid be neglected more than Donkey Kong? Not arguing with you, just curious.
I'm not sure I'd even call Metroid neglected. It's a tough one because it IS a popular franchise, but it's really driven by only one character. So 2 reps is quite a lot in that regard, it just so happens that both reps are the same character. Because Sakurai doesn't see Ridley as a viable choice, Samus is all they can really implement without putting a character in for the sake of having another Metroid character. I do think that Ridley should be playable as the 2nd character, though I don't care enough about the series to be upset about it.

DK has a whole host of popular and iconic characters who have headlined their own games. There are at least 9 Kongs off the top of my head who have been main protagonists, and then there's obviously K. Rool and Funky as well.

Also people, not every third party NEEDS a character, and there is no reason why companies with multiple deserving reps (IE: Megaman and Ryu) should not have multiple reps over another company getting in just to say they have representation.

If a character isn't iconic or important, than I really don't feel like they deserve a guest spot in the Smash roster.
This is why I keep saying that there are really only a handful of Smas-viable 3rd Party characters left.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The problem with square is that it has too many franchises, and all of them except FF and Dragon Quest aren't very important, add the fact that neither of these two have a set cast of characters with the most recognizable being generic(in the sense they are not a single entity and rather a classification of something or someone, like Black Mage and Slime)or have appeared in Playstation(Cloud and Lighting).

I'm all up for Black Mage though, I just want a FF character tbh.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

I don't think there's any fanbase that's more greatly exaggerated in Smash than Isaac/Golden Sun's.

You're still requesting Geno even though he has no realistic chance either. What difference does it make?

Notice that, in this pie graph, Geno isn't even the most requested character from a Mario RPG.

There's at least two Mario characters that people want to see added before Geno: Paper Mario and Daisy. Neither of them require permission from Square.
At least geno has a history with Nintendo sora doesn't

Paper Mario doesn't effect geno chances because he is square also paper Mario and daisy probably won't make more money than Geno because he is not the same character that you see in every Mario game

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm not sure I'd even call Metroid neglected. It's a tough one because it IS a popular franchise, but it's really driven by only one character. So 2 reps is quite a lot in that regard, it just so happens that both reps are the same character. Because Sakurai doesn't see Ridley as a viable choice, Samus is all they can really implement without putting a character in for the sake of having another Metroid character. I do think that Ridley should be playable as the 2nd character, though I don't care enough about the series to be upset about it.

DK has a whole host of popular and iconic characters who have headlined their own games. There are at least 9 Kongs off the top of my head who have been main protagonists, and then there's obviously K. Rool and Funky as well.

This is why I keep saying that there are really only a handful of Smas-viable 3rd Party characters left.
The funny thing is, as I've said multiple times, Konami is one of the only companies left that I think could justifiably take up multiple spots. Snake, a Belmont, Goemon, and Bomberman all have some merit. The thing is that they're not going to even get one spot. Because Konami.

Capcom is in a league of it's own. Sega has a plethora of interesting IPs, but most of them are deader than dead and don't have any importance to Nintendo. Namco is somewhere between Capcom and Sega in this regard.

Square-Enix is an important company that deserves representation, but it's hard to really pick out big characters. Most other companies seems like "1 rep" max (like Ubi,) if they are lucky.

Burb

The Absolute Worst

Paper Mario doesn't effect geno chances because he is square also paper Mario and daisy probably won't make more money than Geno because he is not the same character that you see in every Mario game
Alright, so let me get this straight....

That poll is proof that Geno is more wanted than Sora and would sell better than him because Geno's doing better on it.

But it somehow doesn't prove that Paper Mario and Daisy are more wanted than Geno and would sell better than he would? like, what?

And about the "history" comment.......Fun Fact: Sora has appeared in more games on Nintendo consoles than Geno has.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

Uhh... no? Sora has had quite a few games on Nintendo systems. The most recent KH game was a 3DS exclusive. He's essentially in Snake's territory when it comes to "Nintendo history".

And Paper Mario is NOT a Square property.

Edit: Oh I think I read that wrong. Even then, Paper Mario has a much higher chance than Geno because of the simple fact that he's actually owned by Nintendo.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Waluigi and Toad would probably have more votes if they didn't have IGRs too.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Uhh... no? Sora has had games on Nintendo systems. The most recent KH game was a 3DS exclusive. He's essentially in Snake's territory when it comes to "Nintendo history".
Sora has actually been in at least twice as many games on Nintendo consoles as Geno has.

Geno: Super Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Sora: Chain of Memories, Re coded, Dream Drop Distance, 358/2 Days

He meant that Paper Mario not being owned by Square somehow means he's not competing with Geno for a spot on the roster.

Even though they both represent the Mario RPG spinoffs.

Last edited:

AreJay25

Sora has actually been in at least twice as many games on Nintendo consoles as Geno has.

Geno: Super Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Sora: Chain of Memories, Re coded, Dream Drop Distance, 358/2 Days

He meant that Paper Mario not being owned by Square somehow means he's not competing with Geno for a spot on the roster.

Even though they both represent the Mario RPG spinoffs.
I figured as such. No offense to him, but punctuation is key. :S

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I don't know where the cult of personality surrounding Geno came from. I bought SMRPG when it came out. It's a fun game, for sure. Geno is a decent character in it....but he's not all that. When I was playing the game in 7th grade and talking to my friends about it we weren't flipping our **** over how awesome this puppet dude was. Where's all the Mallow love?

The most iconic Square character that debuted on Nintendo hardeware would probably be from the SNES era, and I would say it would probably be:

FF IV (or II, however you want to look at it) is a fan favorite in the series and is the game that really established the "main character" formula for the games. Before that the playable characters were all super generic.

A special shout out to this guy over here:

Big game, and it will always be associated with Nintendo. Too bad the series died when all of it's staff either left to become Monolithsoft or where shuffled off to work eternally on the Square Enix MMOs.

No offense to Geno supporters by the way, he's cool enough I guess but I really don't understand why he got as big as he did.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Alright, so let me get this straight....

That poll is proof that Geno is more wanted than Sora and would sell better than him because Geno's doing better on it.

But it somehow doesn't prove that Paper Mario and Daisy are more wanted than Geno and would sell better than he would? like, what?

And about the "history" comment.......Fun Fact: Sora has appeared in more games on Nintendo consoles than Geno has.
I will tell why Geno would make people outside of smash community more interested on him because he is not the same type of mario character that you see everyday and gamers that are like 30+ years old would like to buy him than daisy and paper Mario because they don't find this character "kiddy" like other Mario characters and he is more seirous character so he makes more money

That doesn't mean sora was more important in Nintendo history than geno

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I will tell why Geno would make people outside of smash community more interested on him because he is not the same type of mario character that you see everyday and gamers that are like 30+ years old would like to buy him than daisy and paper Mario because they don't find this character "kiddy" like other Mario characters annd he is more seirous character

He's not kiddy? He's Pinocchio with magical laser guns.

domokl

Smash Lord
I will tell why Geno would make people outside of smash community more interested on him because he is not the same type of mario character that you see everyday and gamers that are like 30+ years old would like to buy him than daisy and paper Mario because they don't find this character "kiddy" like other Mario characters annd he is more seirous character

Most of the casual buyers of the dlc wouldn't even know who geno is tho.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
The whole thing about Geno being the most requested Square character is a moot point, anyway. And I'll tell you why.

After Mega Man, the only character I saw for Capcom get a noticeable amount of requests was Phoenix Wright. I never saw anyone asking for Ryu.

We ended up getting Ryu.

I will tell why Geno would make people outside of smash community more interested on him because he is not the same type of mario character that you see everyday and gamers that are like 30+ years old would like to buy him than daisy and paper Mario because they don't find this character "kiddy" like other Mario characters and he is more seirous character so he makes more money
He's a tiny star possessing a wooden doll.

His actual name is ♥♪!?.

One of the first things he does in his introductory scene is bump into a wall.

His powers include shooting his hands at people, morphing into a cannon that shoots a red cloud with eyes and a mouth, firing cannonballs out of his elbows, and a gun that shoots little star pellets.

How in the hell is that a mature, adult character?

Geno is completely unimportant to Nintendo's history. He's not even important to the Mario series.

He's a one-off character from a late era SNES game that wasn't even originally released worldwide.

Last edited:

AreJay25

Paper Mario has its serious moments, though. Super Mario RPG also has silly moments. They're games based off a pudgy Italian plumber. That's not really a valid argument at all.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
The funny thing is, as I've said multiple times, Konami is one of the only companies left that I think could justifiably take up multiple spots. Snake, a Belmont, Goemon, and Bomberman all have some merit. The thing is that they're not going to even get one spot. Because Konami.

Capcom is in a league of it's own. Sega has a plethora of interesting IPs, but most of them are deader than dead and don't have any importance to Nintendo. Namco is somewhere between Capcom and Sega in this regard.

Square-Enix is an important company that deserves representation, but it's hard to really pick out big characters. Most other companies seems like "1 rep" max (like Ubi,) if they are lucky.
I know Simon Belmont is a popular request but I always thought there's something off about him and Smash. I don't see it. Bomberman is the most Smash worthy of Konami's characters IMO.

Sega could technically justify quite a few reps, but they'd all be Sonic characters.

Even with Capcom, I think Resident Evil is the only other franchise that's both iconic enough and Nintendo relevant to get in Smash.

Rare probably could have had more than 1 character. At least Banjo-Kazooie and Joanna Dark. But obviously that won't happen.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Uhh... no? Sora has had quite a few games on Nintendo systems. The most recent KH game was a 3DS exclusive. He's essentially in Snake's territory when it comes to "Nintendo history".

Edit: Oh I think I read that wrong. Even then, Paper Mario has a much higher chance than Geno because of the simple fact that he's actually owned by Nintendo.
and tbh, I actually doubt geno will get more sales.....

The problem here is recognition, because of geno being really not so present nowadays, I don;t expect him to give that much sales compared to Paper Mario which we know has good sales so far (not to mention his origin being from mario, it just helps).

Don;t get me wrong, but being playable in one snes game and cameo in a gba game just doesn't sound to me like people know him more.....

Geno Boost

Smash Master
The whole thing about Geno being the most requested Square character is a moot point, anyway. And I'll tell you why.

After Mega Man, the only character I saw for Capcom get a noticeable amount of requests was Phoenix Wright. I never saw anyone asking for Ryu.

We ended up getting Ryu.
But they choosed at first Megaman for capcom because of what fans wanted the most. the 2nd character from a 3rd party company would be the sakurai pick
Paper Mario has its serious moments, though. Super Mario RPG also has silly moments. They're games based off a pudgy Italian plumber. That's not really a valid argument at all.
but paper Mario is Mario...

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

We ended up getting Ryu.
Dude, do I have to keep explaining why Ryu wasn't requested as much, I'm tired of saying it.

"Sakurai stated that fighting game characters wasn't the main focus for characters and wanted characters who didn't originate from fighter and turn them into brawlers."

Fans took that quote and ran with it saying Sakurai wanted no fighting game characters in Smash so Ryu never got any support despite Sakurai ignoring that and going with a fighting game character :4littlemac: (although his games being fighters is subjective and they aren't the fighters :4ryu: has been in.)

It wasn't that people didn't want him but it was because he wasn't a character who people thought Sakurai wanted

AreJay25

And your argument for Geno is that people would buy him because he's a "serious" character, unlike Paper Mario and Daisy. Just because he's "serious" doesn't automatically mean that more people are going to buy him. Paper Mario, despite being literally Mario, has enough qualities to be distinguishable and is both popular and relevant to Nintendo at the moment.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Ryu never got any support
Exactly. :troll:

Jokes aside, it doesn't matter why people didn't request Ryu. Fact of the matter is, they didn't request him.

"Sakurai said no" never stopped anyone from asking for Ridley.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
But they choosed at first Megaman for capcom because of what fans wanted the most. the 2nd character from a 3rd party company would be the sakurai pick

sorry:

His origin are from mario sure, but it;s officially not really the same character. The gap is even further than toon link because toon link is still link officially, it;s differentiated in smash however. Paper Mario now has its own name.

I just love this image so much :)

Geno Boost

Smash Master

We ended up getting Ryu.

He's a tiny star possessing a wooden doll.

His actual name is ♥♪!?.

One of the first things he does in his introductory scene is bump into a wall.

His powers include shooting his hands at people, morphing into a cannon that shoots a red cloud with eyes and a mouth, firing cannonballs out of his elbows, and a gun that shoots little star pellets.

How in the hell is that a mature, adult character?

Geno is completely unimportant to Nintendo's history. He's not even important to the Mario series.

He's a one-off character from a late era SNES game that wasn't even originally released worldwide.
you just proved Geno moveset would be interesting than paper Mario and daisy also you forget that Geno killed a sword that's 3x bigger than a castle in 1 hit

If Geno wasn't important in Mario universe then why SMRPG talks mostly about Geno story also SMRPG was important in both Nintendo and square history
SMRPG was released worldwide in wii eshop

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Actually Paper Mario is from an alternate universe to regular Mario as seen in Paper Jam.

It's kind of like the Link situation where Toon Link is a different character to Link (TP) who is again different to Young Link. Except they exist in different times not different universes.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I know Simon Belmont is a popular request but I always thought there's something off about him and Smash. I don't see it. Bomberman is the most Smash worthy of Konami's characters IMO.

Sega could technically justify quite a few reps, but they'd all be Sonic characters.

Even with Capcom, I think Resident Evil is the only other franchise that's both iconic enough and Nintendo relevant to get in Smash.

Rare probably could have had more than 1 character. At least Banjo-Kazooie and Joanna Dark. But obviously that won't happen.
The only real issue with Simon is that he isn't the face of his franchise (since the Belmonts are pretty much interchangeable and the most beloved installment in the series actually stars Alucard) and that he doesn't have an iconic design (since this also changes often.) Trevor and Richter Belmot at least have a very standard look and are always immediately recognizable. I would actually prefer the spot be a full on Koopaling spot, with each skin belonging to a different Belmont. Seems like a lot of work for a DLC character, though.

Castlevania was, like Megaman, such a staple of the NES and SNES libraries, though. It's the real reason people want him in. Well, that and his insane move set potential.

I agree with you about Capcom, although I wouldn't complain if we ever got Arthur or Phoenix Wright (or even another Megaman or SF rep, Chun Li and Zero being the most likely.)

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Well, GameStop is back to their old 2004 model

image.jpg

And guess what they have in stock?
image.jpg

Actually Paper Mario is from an alternate universe to regular Mario as seen in Paper Jam.

It's kind of like the Link situation where Toon Link is a different character to Link (TP) who is again different to Young Link. Except they exist in different times not different universes.
Paper Mario is from a Storybook. Calling it now

AreJay25

you just proved Geno moveset would be interesting than paper Mario and daisy also you forget that Geno killed a sword that's 3x bigger than a castle in 1 hit

If Geno wasn't important in Mario universe then why SMRPG talks mostly about Geno story also SMRPG was important in both Nintendo and square history
He didn't say that Geno would have a more interesting moveset. He only argued against your point that he's a serious character. And you act like giant bosses aren't a common thing in games.

SMRPG is a non-canon spin-off. It has literally never been mentioned in anything except for a small cameo in M&L:SS. That does not translate to "important in Nintendo and Square's history".

Burb

The Absolute Worst

You're collecting the Star Pieces before you even meet Geno. It's not "all about him". You already had a reason to fight Smithy, anyway: he was sending out living weapons that were wreaking havoc on the world. Not to mention Bowser's own separate motive.

And I don't know where you're getting at with the Geno Whirl trick. It's a trick you can do in-game. By that logic, Link can play his sword like an Ocarina, and Mario can zip through solid walls by long jumping backwards on stairs repeatedly.

Paper Mario is from a Storybook. Calling it now
Already confirmed, actually.

They mentioned in the Treehouse stream that the plot begins with Luigi knocking over a book that releases the paper selves.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
How exactly does being in one game translate to being important to a company's history? I would like you to prove your own points instead of having other people disprove them. How is Geno important to Nintendo's history? How is he more serious than Paper Mario and Daisy?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Except it even has less ambiguity to have a different name and pretty much everything to him standing out of mario.

Like, this was honestly the case before, Paper Jam just made it crystal clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom