• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Nah, characters like that don't need to be in Smash as playable IMO. But appearances in games like Kart would be great, especially as the Mario Kart rosters have been VERY stale these past few games.

Jr would be more appropriate if you wanted a retro DK character IMO.
Eww, but he'd probably be a clone :/

I'd rather we have those beefed up Kremlings before another Kong. Actually, just add the Mario Baseball roster to Mario Kart. That'd be nice.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I think Geno should be a few Mario Sports titles though, it beats having all those dumb babies everywhere.

DK Jr, Stan The Bugman, Pauline would be good too.

Nintendo probably own the character, right? I don't know much about him but I'm assuming it's like a Diddy Kong situation where Square invented the character FOR Nintendo?
But Donkey Jr is in the Mario spin-offs. You know that the current Donkey Kong is Donkey Jr, he just grew up.

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord
I like the idea of having more obscure (but more interesting) characters be playable in the Mario spinoffs. The Mario games have such a diverse cast of characters yet we get stuck with baby and metal versions of the already existing characters.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I like the idea of having more obscure (but more interesting) characters be playable in the Mario spinoffs. The Mario games have such a diverse cast of characters yet we get stuck with baby and metal versions of the already existing characters.
One has to wonder why they thought Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina were good ideas.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Mario Hoops 3-on-3, Fortune Street, and Mario Sports Mix are all Mario games developed by Square.

Guess what? Geno didn't appear in any of them. The only Mario RPG reference of any kind was a music track in Fortune Street.

If Geno can't even appear in a Mario game made by Square, he's not going to get into a massive crossover game that Square has no involvement in. There are characters from Mario that are actually important to the series and recognizable by the public that have yet to get into Smash, and there are characters from franchises owned by Square that fit the same bill, and would likely take priority over adding a character from an obscure late-era SNES game that wasn't even initially released worldwide.
That's why i said a lot of fans gave up on hoping Geno to appear in a Mario game even if the game was made by square their only hope is to see Geno is smash so then he can have a future in the future Mario games

You mean someone like slime or black Mage? They can't make the same hype as Geno if they got in smash they aren't even requested a lot even in japan Geno is requested than any other square characters and I saw the japaness poll if square wants more money then they are going to choose Geno because this what most smash community wants from them but we can't put Geno alone of course we should put black Mage with him because he is a video game legend and I already said SMRPG was released worldwide in wii eshop

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
SE Rep would almost have to be from Final Fantasy or MAYBE Dragon's Quest. I don't think a lot of the people around here realize how important Final Fantasy was to Nintendo in the SNES era. The SNES was a JRPG machine due to Sqauresoft and Enix (back when they were two separate companies, it's kind of crazy as an old school fan to think that they ever merged.)

JRPGS were a prime reason to own a SNES over a Genesis, even if you weren't a fan of Nintendo's IPs.

Ehh...Xenoblade is nothing like most JRPG's though...
A Nintendo owned traditional JRPG?

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
One has to wonder why they thought Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina were good ideas.
I might be in the minority here, but I actually think they were awesome additions. Baby Rosalina is boring, but Pink Gold Peach is just so ridiculous that it's awesome. Sure, we didn't get a couple fan favorite characters but Mario Kart is a gameplay driven series, and less about the roster. Pink Gold Peach certainly got people talking too.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I still remember the absolute venom people had regarding :sonic:. You had to remember that Japan Time was going on right when the 06 s***storm happen and everyone was sour on the blue blur.

Also the speculation that :falcon:,:ness2:&:jigglypuff: would get cut was funny and stupid at the same time. Man the thought of those 3 getting cut was really crazy and heated.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
SE Rep would almost have to be from Final Fantasy or MAYBE Dragon's Quest. I don't think a lot of the people around here realize how important Final Fantasy was to Nintendo in the SNES era. The SNES was a JRPG machine due to Sqauresoft and Enix (back when they were two separate companies, it's kind of crazy as an old school fan to think that they ever merged.)
JRPGS were a prime reason to own a SNES over a Genesis, even if you weren't a fan of Nintendo's IPs.
Enix owned Dragon Quest before Square and Enix merged?
#SOMETHINGNEWLEARNT
A Nintendo owned traditional JRPG?
I feel like something will be horribly wrong if Isaac is not a DLC character now.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
My point being is that Ice Climbers got lucky for being chosen for Melee. Excitebike racer, Balloon fighter and Pit could've all be chosen as equally.
You completely ignored by point about Marth and Roy supposed to be Japan exclusive characters, I guess? And Japan was properly really happy to see Marth in Melee.
Yes but Geno's popularity is only okay, it is no where near the level of say Daisy's popularity, who is much more likely.
Lucky is not a real reason because everybody in smash were lucky to get in
Daisy is just playing sports she doesn't even have a big backstory like :4bowserjr::rosalina:

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Lucky is not a real reason because everybody in smash were lucky to get in
Daisy is just playing sports she doesn't even have a big backstory like :4bowserjr::rosalina:
Oh dear, you played the backstory card.

:4drmario::4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4charizard::4lucario::4greninja::4duckhunt::4dk::4diddy::4wario::4villager::4sonic::4pacman::4littlemac::4rob::4gaw::4olimar::4diddy::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
But Donkey Jr is in the Mario spin-offs. You know that the current Donkey Kong is Donkey Jr, he just grew up.
Actually DK Jr is the current DK's father. Not the current DK.
Eww, but he'd probably be a clone :/

I'd rather we have those beefed up Kremlings before another Kong. Actually, just add the Mario Baseball roster to Mario Kart. That'd be nice.
I imagine him to be more along the lines of Pac-Man than DK.

I'd rate potential DK newcomers in the order they should be added:

Dixie>K. Rool>Cranky>Jr>Lanky>Funky. After that the line blurs between Chunky/Kiddy/Tiny (I'm rating main characters only here).

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I might be in the minority here, but I actually think they were awesome additions. Baby Rosalina is boring, but Pink Gold Peach is just so ridiculous that it's awesome. Sure, we didn't get a couple fan favorite characters but Mario Kart is a gameplay driven series, and less about the roster. Pink Gold Peach certainly got people talking too.
To me, both Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina is pretty much what Baby Daisy is in Mario Kart Wii, created solely for the purpose of padding and reducing the time and money needed to make a model from scratch.

What does backstory even have to do with smash anyway?

Honestly the only square rep I think I would enjoy would be a bravely default character. Not really an icon at all though.

Okay ... Look like a really stupid move from Nintendo .

http://www.gamercenteronline.net/20...o-show-wonderful-footage-of-zelda-wiiu-at-e3/

Nintendo ... just ... why ?
*insert the use of the word wonderful multiple times means W102 joke here*

Nintendo why would yo u do that? if the gameplay is ready show it. Sure as hell better than a story about yarn yoshi :/

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While I like Geno and all he's nowhere near that popular or important. He's one of the better choices from Super Mario RPG, sure, and I think he should get a trophy if Square Enix gets a character, but that's as far as he should get till he gets some real appearances(not quick cameos).

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
The delay is probably them revamping the game a lot so that they don't end up giving us false promises. That's probably why they were against showing more footage.

Remember when the old TP trailers had this whole horse riding thing going on while you fight enemies riding horses too? And other stuff, I forgot what. But those ended up not being in the final product. That's probably what they wanted to prevent.

But of course, it's also Nintendo soo...

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The delay is probably them revamping the game a lot so that they don't end up giving us false promises. That's probably why they were against showing more footage.
Remember when the old TP trailers had this whole horse riding thing going on while you fight enemies riding horses too? And other stuff, I forgot what. But those ended up not being in the final product. That's probably what they wanted to prevent.
But of course, it's also Nintendo soo...
I didn't think about that...
They really should have shown something though. If you leave me with no news for this long I stop caring.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
You could actually argue that some of those characters have backstories, but I definitely agree. Backstories have nothing to do with a character's chance.
From Sakurai, at Game Developers Conference, 2008:

Standard for Selecting Characters:
・The character must display personality in their game

・It’s important to have something unique about that character

・Potential development issues, and game balance is also taken into some consideration

・ Balance among the franchises is also taken into consideration

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
and yet here we are with Other m samus :troll:
I thought that it was Zero Suit Samus in general. She has been in a couple of Metroid games before Other M. In fact, Brawl predates her appearance in Other M...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom