• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Those Geno rumors were so stupid. He had no chance to begin with. I'm glad his popularity dropped so drastically between Brawl and now.

While the "Geno was cut from Brawl and replaced with ROB/Random Button" rumors have finally died and never come up anymore, the "Beware the Forest Mushrooms" one is still actually spread around and is believed for the most part. That one's fake, too, as there's no way to listen to the cut Brawl music, and the filename suggests it's a Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time song (Toadwood Forest).

Brawl's was a LOT worse, the two aren't even comparable.

Even the Ridley camp, who I expected to throw the tantrum to end all tantrums, didn't react all that badly. Brawl's roster was met with widespread rage.
Problem with that was the whole excuse of someone got cut in favor of someone. You couldn't make that excuse again with Smash 4 because the roster was decided from the start and wasn't filled with impulsive add ins and Smash 4 had an complete roster but :popo: had development issues. :4mewtwo: was a late request who was never a thought to the group until later and probably needed the go to from GF/Pokemon Company.

People tried saying :4darkpit: stopped other characters from getting in but he was literally last minute like the rest of the clones, :4bowserjr: barely made it, :4greninja: never stopped Mewtwo from getting in, and people tries making :4duckhunt: into another :rob: but was stupid in doing so.

People Ty to find a scapegoat for everything instead of just saying the character was never a thought and considered a character.

And to anyone who thought :4pacman: replaced :snake:, go jump into a lake and eat fish

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Geno is a prime example of how a community can blow a character's chances way out of proportion.
True, has so much against him.

• His game never made it out side of Japan and America until years later
  • He only appeared in one game, and as an original character
  • He's partially owned by another company giving him the dubious position of being a Mario character and a third party
  • I certainly didn't know who he was until the Brawl hype and I doubt most of you did either
  • He came out in the SNES era meaning he is too late to be retro, at least as Nintendo defines it.
Shantae and Shovel Knight may be small time third parties and not out in Japan but they were the stars of their games and Shantae has actually appeared in multiple games (including an iWatch spin-off).

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
True, has so much against him.

• His game never made it out side of Japan and America
  • He only appeared in one game, and as an original character
  • He's partially owned by another company giving him the dubious position of being a Mario character and a third party
  • I certainly didn't know who he was until the Brawl hype and I doubt most of you did either
  • He came out in the SNES era meaning he is too late to be retro, at least as Nintendo defines it.
Shantae and Shovel Knight may be small time third parties and not out in Japan but they were the stars of their games and Shantae has actually appeared in multiple games (including an iWatch spin-off).
SMRPG was released worldwide in wii eshop.
He appeared in 2 games and ice climbers were in 1 game.
He is a part of both Nintendo and square so he is in a gray area (something like a 2.5 party).
Nobody knew who was roy and marth before melee.
Who cares if he is retro or not he is still popular.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Rawest Forest and overrating how good agent was in Mario RPG was majority of the reason Geno was pushed hard for Brawl

Rawest Forest was a mistake and Kirbopher cause the worst split and loudest fanbase in Smash history

Plus Mallow had much better potential and had a lot of good stuff with him and even then, both are outclassed by Peach

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Rawest Forest and overrating how good agent was in Mario RPG was majority of the reason Geno was pushed hard for Brawl

Rawest Forest was a mistake and Kirbopher cause the worst split and loudest fanbase in Smash history
[/spoiler]
It was a MISTAKE!?! What's wrong with you, the fanbase has been asking for Geno to appear in ANY game again since 19 YEARS they lost their hopes to see him in a Mario game because they didn't do anything with Geno since 1996 so their only hopes was to see Geno in smash so he could finally appear in future games and the Geno fanbase was the main reason why Geno was popular to this day I have seen some Kids from this generation knows who is Geno from the internet and they like him already people wants to see Geno comes back to life again in the new generation of gaming, smash might be the only way to have him back

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
SMRPG was released worldwide in wii eshop.
He appeared in 2 games and ice climbers were in 1 game.
He is a part of both Nintendo and square so he is in a gray area (something like a 2.5 party).
Nobody knew who was roy and marth before melee.
Who cares if he is retro or not he is still popular.
Ice Climbers were chosen from a list of retro characters. They were chosen because Sakurai figured 2 fighters in screen would be really unique.
Wrong, nobody knew who Roy was before Melee's release. Marth is actually well known to Japanese Nintendo fanbase, and well liked. And you do realise that Marth and Roy got lucky with there international release right? They were supposed to be Japan exclusive characters, they only stayed because the localisation team liked them a lot.
Geno isn't popular as I think your estimating. Yes he is well liked, but as highly popular as back before pre-brawl release? No he isn't. He's mainly just a fond memory for most gamers today. Most people have characters they want in more then Geno, easy examples include Dixie, King K Rool and Issac.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It was a MISTAKE!?! What's wrong with you, the fanbase has been asking for Geno to appear in ANY game again since 19 YEARS they lost their hopes to see him in a Mario game because they didn't do anything with Geno since 1996 so their only hopes was to see Geno in smash so he could finally appear in future games and the Geno fanbase was the main reason why Geno was popular to this day I have seen some Kids from this generation knows who is Geno from the internet and they like him already

You never got the joke, did you?
image.jpg

Here's an alternative for this thread
image.jpg

That and you're kinda overrating his popularity. I think people remember him but you're acting like he was a insane popular character that Nintendo is criminal for ignoring.

If anything, blame Square.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
My impression of Geno (as someone who's never played Mario RPG) is that he's like any other Mario partner. Like, he seems cool and all, but I don't see how he has a greater chance than other RPG partners or Paper Mario partners. Or Paper Mario himself, if we're talking Mario RPG related material. I'd think he'd be in line after Fawful, even.

Also, finally got my new sig! Hope it's nice looking.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
the whole fanbase did come back but most of them are not in smashboards anymore they are on different sites I have seen a lot of them but the fanbase were not "loud" as it was in brawl because the whole fanbase are not in the same place/site anymore like it was in brawl in smashboards.

It was a MISTAKE!?! What's wrong with you, the fanbase has been asking for Geno to appear in ANY game again since 19 YEARS they lost their hopes to see him in a Mario game because they didn't do anything with Geno since 1996 so their only hopes was to see Geno in smash so he could finally appear in future games and the Geno fanbase was the main reason why Geno was popular to this day I have seen some Kids from this generation knows who is Geno from the internet and they like him already people wants to see Geno comes back to life again in the new generation of gaming, smash might be the only way to have him back
Mario Hoops 3-on-3, Fortune Street, and Mario Sports Mix are all Mario games developed by Square.

Guess what? Geno didn't appear in any of them. The only Mario RPG reference of any kind was a music track in Fortune Street.

If Geno can't even appear in a Mario game made by Square, he's not going to get into a massive crossover game that Square has no involvement in. There are characters from Mario that are actually important to the series and recognizable by the public that have yet to get into Smash, and there are characters from franchises owned by Square that fit the same bill, and would likely take priority over adding a character from an obscure late-era SNES game that wasn't even initially released worldwide.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's nearly ten years since the Brawl hype began and people are still arguing for Geno. Maybe if Daisy, Waluigi, Captain Toad, Goombella, Starlow, Black Mage, Terra, Cecil and Cloud got in there'd be some precedence.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I don't believe any Square Enix characters have a chance. I feel like Xenoblade is Nintendo's take on the JRPG genre and Shulk is the best shot at a FF-esque JRPG character we're going to get.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Ehh...Xenoblade is nothing like most JRPG's though...
^ This.

It plays more like a MMORPG, strangely enough.

It's nearly ten years since the Brawl hype began and people are still arguing for Geno. Maybe if Daisy, Waluigi, Captain Toad, Goombella, Starlow, Black Mage, Terra, Cecil and Cloud got in there'd be some precedence.
And that's only some of them.

We should be getting mooks like Koopas and Goombas and C-list Mario characters like Toadette before Geno is even considered.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Not to mention the Dragon Quest protagonist as well.

Actually you know who would make a great Square Enix rep?
The protagonist of the first Dragon Quest (sorry can't think of his name right now)

I mean after all Dragon Quest series did do a lot for RPGs, so its a gaming series icon that could work.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
We JUST got over a Bayonetta debate and someone had to go and bring up Geno.

On the topic of Brawl hype/post-release, oh man, those were the days. And by "those were the days" I mean they were hectic as hell but I can look back on them semi-fondly because that was 8 years ago. :p I'm glad things have been more civil with Smash 4, because honestly, I don't think I could handle the same level of hostility as was present in the Melee vs. Brawl debate taking place literally everywhere on the forum.

It's honestly hilarious, because I got so ridiculously hyped up over Brawl (honestly, it was pathetic) but a month or so after release I realized that I hated it and it is, to this day, my least favorite Smash. I've had a lot of fun with various hacks in it, though, and admittedly it has some stages I loved that I wish had returned. (Spear Pillar, Frigate Orpheon [we finally get a stage proving there's more to Metroid than lava...and it gets replaced by another stage with lava, though at least it doesn't rise], Pirate Ship)
Also, this. I wanted to like Brawl SO much. Melee was my favorite game of all time but it was already getting a bit long in the tooth in 2004-5, and I was extremely ready for a sequel. When Brawl came out though, I just couldn't get into it. Dropped it in less than a month. I'm happy to say I haven't had any of those issue with Smash 4, which is my favorite Smash game at the moment (Melee and PM are probably still more fun to watch competitively, though.)

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Not to mention the Dragon Quest protagonist as well.

Actually you know who would make a great Square Enix rep?
The protagonist of the first Dragon Quest (sorry can't think of his name right now)

I mean after all Dragon Quest series did do a lot for RPGs, so its a gaming series icon that could work.
I could see them going with Slime, actually.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Still, though. Geno's chances seem upended by:

-More up-to-date and relevant partners from Mario RPGs
-Paper Mario himself
-Fawful

If we're talking Square Enix properties, there's also things like:

-Slime
-Chocobo
-Black Mage
-Lightning :troll:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Slowpoke but, the characters I can't for the life of me play as?

I'm surprisingly decent at Shulk, but I cannot play Robin, Duck Hunt, Palutena, Olimar, or Little Mac to save my life. I'm not that good at Mewtwo or Mega Man either lmao

I'm also decent at Ryu, but he is a terrible choice for Smash Run cause of his run speed and absurdly short jump height (Shoryuken makes up for it, though.)

And re:Square Enix - I never really was that interested in Geno, and I agree with most of the arguments limiting his chances. I wouldn't really pick a FF character, or Sora because he's co owned by Disney. I always imagined a Bravely Default character or even better, Neku from The World Ends With You (dat music doe). 'Tis a pipe dream tho

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I hate making these kind of posts but I feel like I'm the only person who enjoyed Brawl the most...
I loved Brawl! I am ironically worse at that game than any of the other three, though. The roster in that game was fantastic, and in my opinion, Smash 4 only just trumped it with the addition of Lucas. Roy is icing on the cake. If we only got Wolf, it would be perfect. We don't need anyone else.

Icies are obviously missing but that's clearly not going to happen this generation.

Also speaking of which, @ Burb Burb and whoever else was saying it -- I went back and re watched some of the New Content Approaching video and I see what you guys mean about Lucas and Roy. It does very much look and sound like they were intended to be a Brawl vet and a Melee vet, and the wording could bode poorly for future vets if that's truly what they were going for.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess only time will tell, but I would like Wolf back.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

I could see them going with Slime, actually.
Well Sakurai might go with the protagnist because of it would be easier to make a move...

:rotfl:
Ha, we all know Sakurai would go with the Slime because it would be of a challenge for him.

I hate making these kind of posts but I feel like I'm the only person who enjoyed Brawl the most...
I liked Brawl a lot as well.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Ice Climbers were chosen from a list of retro characters. They were chosen because Sakurai figured 2 fighters in screen would be really unique.
Wrong, nobody knew who Roy was before Melee's release. Marth is actually well known to Japanese Nintendo fanbase, and well liked. And you do realise that Marth and Roy got lucky with there international release right? They were supposed to be Japan exclusive characters, they only stayed because the localisation team liked them a lot.
Geno isn't popular as I think your estimating. Yes he is well liked, but as highly popular as back before pre-brawl release? No he isn't. He's mainly just a fond memory for most gamers today. Most people have characters they want in more then Geno, easy examples include Dixie, King K Rool and Issac.
So what? they are still in 1 game same goes with shiek
They werent popular outside of japan so most people didn't low who are they
I already explained why he is still popular ok I should copy and paste
"His popularity was dropped between the release of brawl and before the smash 4 ballout but his popularity did come back after the ballout appeared so he is popular like in brawl the whole fanbase did come back but most of them are not in smashboards they are on different sites I have seen a lot of them but the fanbase were not "loud" as it was in brawl because the whole fanbase are not in the same place/site anymore like it was in brawl in smashboards."

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I liked Brawl too. It was ironically the first Smash I owned since I didn't have a GameCube to play Melee when I was in middle/high school. Luckily my Wii can play GC games, part of the reason I don't wanna trade it in for a Wii U just yet

I just want Wolf and Snake back now, the latter is gonna be hell to pull off though. At least his chances are only slightly better than the ICs or Ivysaur/Squirtle/YL/Pichu IMO.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
This must be what Vietnam flashbacks feel like.

I remember witnessing the Geno and Krystal fans murder each other on the End of January Riot of 2008 but I don't wanna

Geno's eyes are cold and dead like my soul

*glugs moo moo milk*

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think Geno should be a few Mario Sports titles though, it beats having all those dumb babies everywhere.

DK Jr, Stan The Bugman, Pauline would be good too.

Nintendo probably own the character, right? I don't know much about him but I'm assuming it's like a Diddy Kong situation where Square invented the character FOR Nintendo?

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
You never got the joke, did you?
View attachment 57952

Here's an alternative for this thread
View attachment 57953

That and you're kinda overrating his popularity. I think people remember him but you're acting like he was a insane popular character that Nintendo is criminal for ignoring.

If anything, blame Square.
I am not saying he is popular as bomberman or crash bandicoot but I am saying he is popular as someone like Isaac and Ray MK

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I think Geno should be a few Mario Sports titles though, it beats having all those dumb babies everywhere.

DK Jr, Stan The Bugman, Pauline would be good too.
I'd be okay with Stan as a hypothetical 5th DK rep after Rool and Dixie.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Man I remember the Brawl days. I would lurk around here but not know what to do. I actually...was happy with the roster to be honest. I would say after about two years with it, I realized what was missing from it. But damn, back then it was amazing for me. I enjoyed the who Dojo thing too. That was exciting to wake up to.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

So what? they are still in 1 game same goes with shiek
They werent popular outside of japan so most people didn't low who are they
"His popularity was dropped between the release of brawl and before the smash 4 ballout but his popularity did come back after the ballout appeared so he is popular like in brawl the whole fanbase did come back but most of them are not in smashboards they are on different sites I have seen a lot of them but the fanbase were not "loud" as it was in brawl because the whole fanbase are not in the same place/site anymore like it was in brawl in smashboards."
My point being is that Ice Climbers got lucky for being chosen for Melee. Excitebike racer, Balloon fighter and Pit could've all be chosen as equally.
You completely ignored by point about Marth and Roy supposed to be Japan exclusive characters, I guess? And Japan was properly really happy to see Marth in Melee.
Yes but Geno's popularity is only okay, it is no where near the level of say Daisy's popularity, who is much more likely.

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord
Your secret underground Geno community may love the character, but that community doesn't represent the entire smash fanbase. The only time he is ever brought up on Smashboards, Gamefaqs, or Reddit is as a joke.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'd be okay with Stan as a hypothetical 5th DK rep after Rool and Dixie.
Nah, characters like that don't need to be in Smash as playable IMO. But appearances in games like Kart would be great, especially as the Mario Kart rosters have been VERY stale these past few games. There are still several Retro franchises that could get characters over a retro of a series that still has at least half a dozen viable characters for Smash. Balloon Fighter, Excite Biker etc.

Jr would be more appropriate if you wanted a retro DK character IMO. He's quite iconic in his own right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom