• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The night Brawl started leaking and what not?

I'll never forget the salt when the R.O.B. rumor became true.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I remember thinking it would be actually awesome to have ROB in Brawl, and to my surprise he actually got in. I was pretty satisfied with the roster, despite Mewtwo's and Roy's cut.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Brawl speculation? I still remember how salty I was when the leaked roster turned out to be true because no Bowser Jr, no Ridley and no Krystal while we got Wolf, Tink and R.O.B. :')

Don't forget 'Ridley is in the clouds!'

Naoshi

Oh god, I remember the HATE Sakurai received when the roster was out. It was probably just as venom if not more than SSB4's full roster reveal.

I remember someone vandalizing the Wikipedia page of him with saying that he was killed by fans that threw him out of the window. I think they had a "YOU MUST RECOVER" joke there too. It was kind of disgusting though.

People were way too emotionally invested in that game...

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
That ROB hate was absolutely silly. I remember people spreading rumors that Geno was originally in the game but was replaced by ROB at the last minute. There was like absolutely no evidence backed up by this but I recall some Mario RPG fansite making such a weird theory about that.

Man, I think I'm really fortunate enough that just about everyone I wanted in Brawl actually got into the game sans Mega Man and Ridley (the latter who I said I would be okay with as boss too). Squirtle and Wolf were my unexpected wants (meaning I wanted them but thought they had slim chances, especially Squirtle), and boy that shocked me.
I will never understand the hate for R.O.B. We're talking about a character who had one of the BIGGEST impacts on the gaming industry, getting proper acknowledgement in Smash with a great moveset and people just took a dump all over him. I could at least understand the arguments against Dark Pit (even if I didn't agree), but the R.O.B hate was just unnecessary.
R.O.B is one of my favorite additions. Thought he was great when I first saw him.

I wonder if Chronobound could answer, but was G&W hated at his Melee reveal? People eventually liked R.O.B, and the reaction to Duck Hunt was (surprisingly) overwhelmingly positive.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Who wants Pizz-...

DAMN IT, THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THIS SITUATION HAS HAPPENED.

THAT'S IT, I'M NOT GONNA SURPRISE YOU GUYS WITH PIZZA ANYMORE

Plus this pizza has zero salt so enjoy it
But I liked your surprise Pizzas :(

Ah yes I remember Brawl speculation You'd see me pop up in different places, and at times I felt like I was one the few who didn't whine about the fact that every Dojo post wasn't a character reveal.

And I defiantly say that post launch from Brawl was horrible because of the stupid hate from those who preferred Melee on those who preferred Brawl

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
R.O.B is one of my favorite additions. Thought he was great when I first saw him.

I wonder if Chronobound could answer, but was G&W hated at his Melee reveal? People eventually liked R.O.B, and the reaction to Duck Hunt was (surprisingly) overwhelmingly positive.
R.O.B. is still somewhat hated. He's #17 most disliked character in the Mega Smash Poll.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Duck Hunt got a little vitriol in the initial leaks information.

I remember there were people claiming that it was obviously fake because there was no way Sakurai could add Duck Hunt because they and their friends could not think of any possible moveset so Sakurai himself must not be able too.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I bet the reaction to Duvk Hunt would have more negative if Takamaru had not been disconfirmed months before he was revealed.
Possibly

I personally was betting on Takamaru as a character and was pretty surprised when he was AT'd. I didn't quite expect DHD, was betting on Sheriff.

I'll bet on Sheriff for the super-retro of Smash 5 and Mach Rider for the Climbers/Pit/Little Mac.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I'm probably the only person never to be in Brawl speculation XD. I jumped onto the Smash Hype Train too late.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Possibly

I personally was betting on Takamaru as a character and was pretty surprised when he was AT'd. I didn't quite expect DHD, was betting on Sheriff.
I thought for sure that Takamaru would be the Pit, getting a sort of redesign revival with another retro character coming in after as well. I agree with you. I still think Takamaru is the biggest surprise for a character exclusion besides a DK newcomer.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
One thing that I remember from Brawl was the salt :wolf:,:lucario:&:toonlink: brought.

:wolf::toonlink:-Clone b****ing as usual
:lucario:-everybody thought he replace Mewtwo

In which I had to admit I was apart of with the :wolf: hate base because of one reason
3 F***ING LANDMASTERS, WHAT THE HELL SAKURAI. PLUS THEIR B-MOVES

I was a stupid teenager then

That and the :sonic: situation and other third parties which I still remember who was #2 on the most wanted poll behind Sonic

Who was he again? :4megaman:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I think most initial reactions to Duck Hunt were "WTF" rather than "EWW GET THIS OUT OF MY GAME." People definitely started warming up to him after a while, though.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
R.O.B. is still somewhat hated. He's #17 most disliked character in the Mega Smash Poll.
Man, that poll feels like a combo of list of people angry at characters because they're higher tier than their personal favorite, they were people who ''replaced" others, and more.

Rosalina in particular being so divided reads untrue, when you think about how popular she is elsewhere on the internet for her role in the Mario series and Smash.

Naoshi

Man, I remember when people got legitmently upset that Sakurai stopped updating temporary because he was on holiday break. The entitlement people had was gross.

And I defiantly say that post launch from Brawl was horrible because of the stupid hate from those who preferred Melee on those who preferred Brawl
As someone who strongly prefers Melee over Brawl and cannot stand that game to this day, I admit, it is very disheartening for Melee and Brawl fans to get at each other's necks. I'm glad that mostly died down.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I actually think the general consensus is split, but most are leaning towards it being probably only 2 left. Dustin made a pretty good argument for it, check Source Gaming. I personally think that we will get more, but I think a lot are worried about getting their hopes up too much.
Most are going to be wrong I think. It doesn't make any logical sense to only have two in the time frame we were given.

Also:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Man, I remember when people got legitmently upset that Sakurai stopped updating temporary because he was on holiday break. The entitlement people had was gross..
That never went away.

It dribbled into ''WHAT WAS THAT PICTURE OF THE DAY? GIVE US RELEVANT PICTURES. SAKURAI!"

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I think most initial reactions to Duck Hunt were "WTF" rather than "EWW GET THIS OUT OF MY GAME." People definitely started warming up to him after a while, though.
Honestly though, who doesn't love dogs? :p

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Honestly though, who doesn't love dogs? :p
This jerk:

Man, I remember when people got legitmently upset that Sakurai stopped updating temporary because he was on holiday break. The entitlement people had was gross.

As someone who strongly prefers Melee over Brawl and cannot stand that game to this day, I admit, it is very disheartening for Melee and Brawl fans to get at each other's necks. I'm glad that mostly died down.
That happened with Smash 4 too. "Where's the update? Where's the update? Filler again!?!"

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Anyone else feel that Takamaru is basically confirmed for Smash 5? The only thing better than getting a new Smash game is the pre-release speculation :awesome:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Palutena is another newcomer I can't quite grasp. Even with custom moves? I'm just like...''Eh."

Glad she's in though as she's easily one of my favorite newcomers in terms of her game and personality.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I can not use Olimar for the life of me. I don't want to learn to use him, either. Only character I can not get into.

AreJay25

The thing about Palutena is she's an absolute monster with customs. Like, she almost becomes one of the best just from using customs. That default moveset is garbage though.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I know Ryu is brand new, but the dude does not move any way that I expect a character to at all.

Palutena is another newcomer I can't quite grasp. Even with custom moves? I'm just like...''Eh."

Glad she's in though as she's easily one of my favorite newcomers in terms of her game and personality.
Palutena is so awesome. She was one of my most wanted newcomers and while she didn't make sense to me at first either, I had decided I wanted to play her and did so until I feel like I had an alright grasp on her. She's my "backup" but I think I still have a couple characters that I play with better. :laugh:

Falco got buffed hard, man
Yes. And it's awesome.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
Miis, Dark Pit, Diddy (who was in his reign at the time), then most other top tiers too from the looks of it.
i voted for diddy
i don't care too much about competitive, i just ****ing hate diddy

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I can not use Olimar for the life of me. I don't want to learn to use him, either. Only character I can not get into.
I enjoyed him quite a bit in Brawl.

Initially before switching over to Dedede, he was my primary main newcomer in that one.

I just don't like him as much since he only has three Pikmin and the new recovery move.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I know Ryu is brand new, but the dude does not move any way that I expect a character to at all.
They did a great job with him, though. If you play Ryu vs Ru on the omega version of his stage, turn on heavy gravity, and put it on stamina it's crazy how much it feels like some sort of Street Fighter spin off.

AreJay25

My main problem with Olimar is that all of his moves look the exact freaking same.

Says the Sonic main

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom