• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Sonic vs Pikachu? that sound like the worst thing ever for everyone watching. . .
Nearly timed out.

It's sad how two of the fastest characters in the game can end up making some of the slowest matches. :/

Edit: The second match timed out.

Why.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I hope for the next game there's no "No Guns" rule because I want an Advance Wars character and RE character.
I think the issue is people expect them to animate a bullet? And I don't know why you needed to animate a bullet to show it's a gun.

Animes have guns, real ones all the time, and 80 percent of the time you never see the bullet.

Just show an effect around the gun and then have damage taken by the CPU/other player?

Khoru

Smash Champion
It's actually not that difficult to extract Wii U data. I learned from lurking forums, and it's only gotten easier now. Not dismissing, NWPlayer123 as she is extremely talented.

It's going to become worse in the upcoming months when the browser exploit causes the full system to be cracked opened.

I'm sure within a year the online play will be ruined on the Wii U due to cheaters.
oh ok. i just heard from word of mouth (including from you) and must've misunderstood or something

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think the issue is people expect them to animate a bullet? And I don't know why you needed to animate a bullet to show it's a gun.
Animes have guns, real ones all the time, and 80 percent of the time you never see the bullet.
Just show an effect around the gun and then have damage taken by the CPU/other player?
In the case of Advance Wars you could color the gun dark red (like the Orange Star's...well, everything) and/or have the bullets shoot fire bullets like the Infantry Assist Trophy.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also no one really says ''Bayonetta can't fit into Smash because of blood and guns", Burb.

That's second to ''Bayonetta is too vulgar and naked for Smash." which is what I've always argued against.

Often while bringing up that her weaponry is her biggest hurdle.

So another misconception from you.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't know about anyone else but Im having a really hard time adjusting to Ryu. I can do most of the inputs fine, it's the weak attacks that are tricky to me. I just naturally hold down buttons, it's difficult to unlearn.

AreJay25

I don't know about anyone else but Im having a really hard time adjusting to Ryu. I can do most of the inputs fine, it's the weak attacks that are tricky to me. I just naturally hold down buttons, it's difficult to unlearn.
This was my problem at first lol. Like you, I'm so used to holding buttons in Smash. You'll get used to it, though.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
It's actually not that difficult to extract Wii U data. I learned from lurking forums, and it's only gotten easier now. Not dismissing, NWPlayer123 as she is extremely talented.

It's going to become worse in the upcoming months when the browser exploit causes the full system to be cracked opened.

I'm sure within a year the online play will be ruined on the Wii U due to cheaters.
Oh great, don't tell me we might have a Project M situation on hands as well.

And loo I'm not hating on Project M, but if people hack Smash 4 to put in advance Melee mechanics, before 4s meta game reached the level Brawl's did, it would be a real shame for people who enjoy playing Smash 4.

Soul.

It's always like this.

People get too into their character choices and don't want to listen to opposing views. It's all about their character being number 1. If everyone was more humble about their character choices, we would be far better off. I love 9-Volt, but I'm not going to wine when someone says he doesnt have a chance to be in Smash, because frankly his chances ARE slim.
You know speculation is serious business when there's nothing but arguments instead of discussion.
I mean, competitive discussion can turn into arguments too, but it's different.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
oh ok. i just heard from word of mouth (including from you) and must've misunderstood or something
With the original release it was tricky, but now there's UWizard which makes things so much easier. Reading code is still difficult (the people doing the Wii U code extraction are using custom scripts), but extracting text is done by opening the file in a HEX editor and looking through it :).

Oh great, don't tell me we might have a Project M situation on hands as well.

And loo I'm not hating on Project M, but if people hack Smash 4 to put in advance Melee mechanics, before 4s meta game reached the level Brawl's did, it would be a real shame for people who enjoy playing Smash 4.
A full on Project M like mod is still half a year/ a year away from evening starting. But custom music on the Wii U? That'll might happen with the next couple of months.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Maybe it's just me, but every time I see an argument regarding Smash speculation, it always ends up being like this. Most of the time.
Not sure how were arguments like in Brawl but whatever
It was worse

I still remember the days when people claimed Mega Man would be a Samus clone despite all the evidence against such a ridiculous claim. Couple with how some people actually think KOS-MOS was a more deserving character than him, despite everything that was going for him. WTF?

D

Deleted member

I want a "Big" second character from Sega.
No other character fishes.
He'd be the next best thing.
He's already lock and Loaded.
Uh...what is this from?
You guys have it all wrong anyway. The RE rep for Smash shouldn't be a survivor or Nemesis.
It should be Wesker as a summoner.
He controls a pack of Hunters and Zombies, which he throws like Pikmin, and uses a Zombie Crow to recover.

I have the best character ideas. I should totally direct Smash Bros from now on.
Wesker's cool and all....

but he's not a mutant zombie in a trenchcoat/protective vest with a rocket launcher.
Sorry. I win this argument. :awesome:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
"Winning and Losing" , old Famitsu column by Sakurai (his 2nd one!). This was done solely by Soma, who one of the new translators for Source Gaming. He helped with the Art of Balancing article too!

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
As far as the Geno incident, @Burb, if that really happened. Then I do truly apologize for that incident.

The defensiveness there probably comes from having a best friend who adores him and getting the passion for an obscure character.

So I probably assumed at the time or what not it was extreme to compare him to two animated characters from outside of Nintendo's history, but if I truly did go off on you, I would like to apologize as that comment is far from deserving a bunch of spiel.

People have said worse about him.

Last edited:

AreJay25

It was worse

I still remember the days when people claimed Mega Man would be a Samus clone despite all the evidence against such a ridiculous claim. Couple with how some people actually think KOS-MOS was a more deserving character than him, despite everything that was going for him. WTF?
Wait a minute, KOS-MOS comes from a Namco game. She's not related to Mega Man at all. How the hell did they come to that conclusion LOL

Naoshi

Wait a minute, KOS-MOS comes from a Namco game. She's not related to Mega Man at all. How the hell did they come to that conclusion LOL
I remember someone telling me just along the lines of "Screw Mega Man. KOS MOS should be in Brawl instead." And he actually believed that KOS MOS was owned by Nintendo because they bought Monolith.

Hype does crazy things man.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It was worse

I remember it. The community as a whole was less mature and frankly spoiled by Melee's impressive leap over 64. Not to mention the Krystal support thread was titled, The R*** Staff minus the asterisks.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Golden's avatar just reminds me that Taskmaster is probably going to look lame when they adapt him for the films/cinematic universe.

Can't see them keeping him looking too much like himself.

AreJay25

Uh...what is this from?
You're welcome.

I remember someone telling me just along the lines of "Screw Mega Man. KOS MOS should be in Brawl instead." And he actually believed that KOS MOS was owned by Nintendo because they bought Monolith.

Hype does crazy things man.
Reminds me of the Lloyd Irving/Pac-Man arguments. Only, you know... they both came from the same company. :laugh:

Chrono.

Brawl was in 2007-8, when memes were going strong and the community was far less younger, it's worse by default.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Brawl was in 2007-8, when memes were going strong and the community was far less younger, it's worse by default.
Brawl was a pretty weird crazy time.

Everyone had a chance back then according to everyone.

I think it's partially that the game's reveal was front loaded with mega-watt reveals. Snake's reveal especially blew the roof off speculation of who was viable and not.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
A lot of characters were considered likely in the Brawl era. I remember the Geno fanbase.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
With the original release it was tricky, but now there's UWizard which makes things so much easier. Reading code is still difficult (the people doing the Wii U code extraction are using custom scripts), but extracting text is done by opening the file in a HEX editor and looking through it :).

A full on Project M like mod is still half a year/ a year away from evening starting. But custom music on the Wii U? That'll might happen with the next couple of months.
Yeah, but I'm mainly saying it would be a real shame for a Project M version of Smash 4 to pop up only after 1-1/2 year or 2 years, when Project M popped up 2011, so sometime had passed since Brawl as released, so its Meta-game was actually able to grow.
And it would be a real shame for a Project M version Smash 4 to show up in the next 1-1/2-2 years, when its possible Nintendo will be supporting the game all the way to 2017, so the Meta game still has places to grow, and all the patches coming that the meta-game will adapt to.

Custom music will be awesome though. One thing I'd love to see in Smash is to have all the sondtracks from all of Nintendo's published games in Smash Bros.

Makes me wish there would be Music DLC. I know, the music can come with the stages, but I would love for Nintendo to work in tracks from games that launched after Smash into Smash. I mean just imagine if Smash brothers music team got to work on tracks from games like Splatoon and Codename Steam.

AreJay25

Brawl was the era in which people thought characters like Goku legitimately had a chance.

Yeah that hasn't changed much but at least there wasn't any precedent against it.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Brawl was the era in which people thought characters like Goku legitimately had a chance.

Yeah that hasn't changed much but at least there wasn't any precedent against it.
I thought Sakurai had explicitly stated "No anime characters" sometime in 2006/early 2007.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I wish I was a part of Brawl speculation, the only thing I did during the wait for Brawl was waiting for the Dojo to update.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I wish I was a part of Brawl speculation, the only thing I did during the wait for Brawl was waiting for the Dojo to update.
Same here. I had friends in college, that I would hype together with, but Smash 4 has been a lot more fun :p.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Brawl was honestly a lot worse of a pre-release community. I think the number of niche fanbases that actually expected their character to get in was a much higher number. The reaction to the roster reveal was significantly worse, too: This time we just had to deal with Dark Pit complaints.

Back then? People even hated inventive characters like R.O.B. because he got in "over" *insert Geno/Krystal/Sora/Ridley/Bowser Jr./Mewtwo/etc here*.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Who wants Pizz-...

DAMN IT, THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THIS SITUATION HAS HAPPENED.

THAT'S IT, I'M NOT GONNA SURPRISE YOU GUYS WITH PIZZA ANYMORE

Plus this pizza has zero salt so enjoy it

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
During Brawl era there was a ton of character support threads for all kinds of third party characters.

Mega Man and Sonic were the most popular, but there was all kinds of third party support back then.

KOS-MOS is a great example of it.

Naoshi

Brawl was honestly a lot worse of a pre-release community. I think the number of niche fanbases that actually expected their character to get in was a much higher number. The reaction to the roster reveal was significantly worse, too: This time we just had to deal with Dark Pit complaints.

Back then? People even hated inventive characters like R.O.B. because he got in "over" *insert Geno/Krystal/Sora/Ridley/Bowser Jr./Mewtwo/etc here*.
That ROB hate was absolutely silly. I remember people spreading rumors that Geno was originally in the game but was replaced by ROB at the last minute. There was like absolutely no evidence backed up by this but I recall some Mario RPG fansite making such a weird theory about that.

Man, I think I'm really fortunate enough that just about everyone I wanted in Brawl actually got into the game sans Mega Man and Ridley (the latter who I said I would be okay with as boss too). Squirtle and Wolf were my unexpected wants (meaning I wanted them but thought they had slim chances, especially Squirtle), and boy that shocked me.

Last edited:

AreJay25

I will never understand the hate for R.O.B. We're talking about a character who had one of the BIGGEST impacts on the gaming industry, getting proper acknowledgement in Smash with a great moveset and people just took a dump all over him. I could at least understand the arguments against Dark Pit (even if I didn't agree), but the R.O.B hate was just unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom