• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Not taking sides in the general discussion, but Metal Gear is arguably goofier than Bayonetta. Some examples:

-A solar gun that runs on sunlight like some sort of hippie weapon
-A human slingshot
-NANOMASHEENS SUN
-A talking cat from Monster Hunter that Naked Snake understands perfectly
-Monster Hunter creatures that you can kill on a desolate island in 1974
-Tornado summoning musket
-Big Boss thinks Santa is real
-Cardboard tanks that shoot functional shells
-Doing missions in tuxedos, swim trunks or t-shirts
-YOUR MEEEMES END HEEERE
-Complete lack of fourth wall:
--"Don't think of using autofire or I'll know."
--"Put in Disc 2. Wait, we're on a Blu-Ray system. That's dual layered!" "Dammit Otacon, get a grip!"
--A boss who reads your memory card and vibrates your controller
--"OH SO YOU'VE PLAYED SUPER SMASH BROS MELEE BEFORE"
--"YOU LIKE CASTLEVANIA DON'T YOU"

I'm sure there's more, but despite the tone, this series isn't short of gags.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Metal Gear's sillier elements didn't make their way into Smash through Snake though.

Everything Snake did was still very realistic.

Khoru

Smash Champion
Not taking sides in the general discussion, but Metal Gear is arguably goofier than Bayonetta. Some examples:

-A solar gun that runs on sunlight like some sort of hippie weapon
-A human slingshot
-NANOMASHEENS SUN
-A talking cat from Monster Hunter that Naked Snake understands perfectly
-Monster Hunter creatures that you can kill on a desolate island in 1974
-Tornado summoning musket
-Big Boss thinks Santa is real
-Cardboard tanks that shoot functional shells
-Doing missions in tuxedos, swim trunks or t-shirts
-YOUR MEEEMES END HEEERE
-Complete lack of fourth wall:
--"Don't think of using autofire or I'll know."
--"Put in Disc 2. Wait, we're on a Blu-Ray system. That's dual layered!" "Dammit Otacon, get a grip!"
--A boss who reads your memory card and vibrates your controller
--"OH SO YOU'VE PLAYED SUPER SMASH BROS MELEE BEFORE"
--"YOU LIKE CASTLEVANIA DON'T YOU"

I'm sure there's more, but despite the tone, this series isn't short of gags.
main character about to try to kill himself?
"wipe this meme from the face of the earth"

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Metal Gear's sillier elements didn't make their way into Smash through Snake though.

Everything Snake did was still very realistic.

It wasn't even necessary to bring it up.

You legit threw me under the bus for hypocritical-ness for no reason, Burb.

I knew that both franchises have similar themes. I'm not dumb. I'm aware. I know both have a lot going against them.

And yes I love both franchises, but would like one in Smash more than the other. There's nothing wrong with that.

But don't try to tell me you didn't seek to bring negative attention my way by even bringing that up.

You wanted me to look bad and that's okay. Thanks for that.

Thanks for bringing up something that wasn't necessary.

It was so sweet of you. :)
After all the times you complained at some of us for saying certain characters have no chance, it's a bit infuriating to see you going and talking down another franchise's chances.

I feel it was quite warranted. Don't go blaming me for your own double-standards and seeming incapability of following your own advice.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Which to me is the difference between RE characters and say Bayo.

To rep one you have to have some of her sillier elements like the hair and magic and heels.

The RE characters sillier elements come from plotlines and such. You can't really make them goofier to fit into Smash.

Neither one is getting into Smash over a ton of other viable things first, but I just think it'd be easier to convert and fit in one over the other.

Not part of his moveset, which is the subject at hand.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Or you know you could work on your issue where you like to tip toe around people's posts and pretend they were on a whole other subject entirely. :)

No defense here. Legit, the discussion was about movesets. You brought up a taunt and a stage element.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Or you know you could work on your issue where you like to tip toe around people's posts and pretend they were on a whole other subject entirely. :)

No defense here. Legit, the discussion was about movesets. You brought up a taunt and a stage element.
Excuse me? Let's see where your argument went.

Nemesis is the exact type of thing about RE that wouldn't work in Smash.

With the human survivors you have realistic weapons as a problem.

With the monsters, you have their grotesque nature.

There's just no way to represent RE in Smash.
You started off by saying RE doesn't work because of grotesque violence and real world firearms.

Bayonetta is easily far more silly than RE though.

The woman is wearing gun heels for crying out loud.

You can't walk on guns.

Then fire them. She also happens to be a witch.
Then after being reminded that Bayonetta features copious amounts of blood and gore, as well as real world firearms (albeit implemented in a silly manner), your point changed to "YEAH WELL HER VERSION'S SILLY UNLIKE RE AND MG SO ITS DIFFERENT".

Which to me is the difference between RE characters and say Bayo.

To rep one you have to have some of her sillier elements like the hair and magic and heels.

The RE characters sillier elements come from plotlines and such. You can't really make them goofier to fit into Smash.

Neither one is getting into Smash over a ton of other viable things first, but I just think it'd be easier to convert and fit in one over the other.

Not part of his moveset, which is the subject at hand.

Then after being reminded that Metal Gear is every bit as silly as Bayonetta, you changed to "WELL SNAKE'S MOVESET IS SERIOUS SO THAT DOESN'T COUNT. ONLY MOVESETS COUNT!".

You're constantly changing the goalpost. The second your argument starts to crumble, it changes to something else.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Snakes moveset was made to be light hearted as they couldn't get away with using guns/ machine guns. That's why they went with a rocket launcher, and grenades even though a regular gun is far more important to the MGS franchise. (Snake joins Brawl translation/ upcoming GDC slides post)it's because the later is much more comical.

Personally, I think it'd be difficult to design a moveset for Bayonetta without guns, but if anyone could then Sakurai can.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm done arguing with you Burb.

Honestly, nothing changed because of ''crumbling" arguments. Don't be so full of yourself.

You started this whole thing for some god saken reason when there was no reason.

It's almost like you can't co-exist with someone without needing an argument.

Well, go find a new play toy, because I'm done and no longer giving you the pleasure.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Metal Gear is pretty goofy. I actually bring that up quite often... it has the sensibilities of an over the top 80's action movie mixed in with a hefty doss of Japanese quirkiness. It can get pretty silly.

Personally, I would much rather have Bayonetta than a Resident Evil character, because I feel like she would have a fun an interesting move set and I struggle with thinking of any unique implementation of RE characters.

As a franchise though? Resident Evil checks all of the Smash boxes far better than Bayonetta. It has more games, more games on Nintendo hardware (including exclusives,) a longer history, more popularity, and is a much bigger and better selling franchise. The only series currently in Smash with higher sales than Resident Evil are Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Sonic and Wii (sports, fit, music, etc.) That should tell you something.

On top of that, Resident Evil is extremely iconic and has a lot of exposure outside of video games. It has had several haunted houses at Horror Nights in Universal, and the movies are the most successful video game adaptations of all time.

I would also argue that Resident Evil was even more important to the Gamecube than Bayonetta 2 was for the Wii U. They were both used for similar purposes, but the Resident Evil Remake was a bigger deal at the time (remember, I was a freshman in college when that game came out, so I remember both games releasing very well.)

In any case, I tend to gravitate more towards characters like Bomberman and Rayman when it comes to my third party wants. Smash will always be a mascot brawler to me, so I want as many mascots as possible.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I like the codecs more so than Palutena's guidance AKA have Viridi s*** on majority of the cast, Chrom and anyone else not named :4link:

Still wish we got Doc Lewis giving Little Mac tips on fighters and his chocolate puns

Khoru

Smash Champion
the chrom guidance was better than a good chunk of the codecs
just the chrom one, though

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Codecs > Guidances

The hilarity and subtle Metal Gear references in the codecs(plus MGS4 foreshadowing in Meta Knight's) outdoes the Guidances, which I feel are just "funny" versions of tutorials on how to fight characters with some Viridi trash talking thrown in there(with the exceptions of Lucario and Link).

Robin's Guidance is on par with the codecs because of it's intentional hypocrisy, though.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I'm done arguing with you Burb.

Honestly, nothing changed because of ''crumbling" arguments. Don't be so full of yourself.

You started this whole thing for some god saken reason when there was no reason.

It's almost like you can't co-exist with someone without needing an argument.

Well, go find a new play toy, because I'm done and no longer giving you the pleasure.
All I did was point out that you seem to have a bit of a double-standard when it comes to Bayonetta being in Smash.

I've been quite civil in my responses. You're the one acting like you're being attacked personally. Usually when I'm being a jerk in these arguments, I have people all over me. This time they're agreeing with me.

It's not a big deal, anyway, dood.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I guess that's a confirmation. I can't read Japanese, so I wasn't sure the context. The way you said it before could've been otherwise.

Fire Emblem 6, specifically? Fire Emblem as a series made their Smash debut with both Marth and Roy and it's the first time it's seen in the West. See what I mean?
Well I just translated it. Sakurai doesn't specifically mention the GBA Fire Emblem, but it's kind of implied through context as his game came out after Smash. If Sakurai had said Fire Emblem GBA outright, then I would have included that.

In the image I posted Sakurai says he hopes many players will play Fire Emblem when talking about Roy. I don't think Marth was included to promote FE, as Sakurai said the promotion concept was unique to Roy.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Now that I think about it...

When was the last time you saw a character in a serious, M-rated game point to a piece of clothing and nonchalantly claim they have infinite ammo?

In the context of what was going on, nobody would be cracking wise in that situation in any other game with a serious plot.

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Well I just translated it. Sakurai doesn't specifically mention the GBA Fire Emblem, but it's kind of implied through context as his game came out after Smash. If Sakurai had said Fire Emblem GBA outright, then I would have included that.

In the image I posted Sakurai says he hopes many players will play Fire Emblem when talking about Roy. I don't think Marth was included to promote FE, as Sakurai said the promotion concept was unique to Roy.
Ahh, ok. I thought that was just a paraphrase of it. I agree then, the implications are that Roy was promoting the new Fire Emblem game.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This is my goodbye.

That's all.

You're all friends with me one minute, then agreeing with Burb throwing me under the bus the next.

You can continue to praise the asshole around the joint that is Burb.

You worship this guy, but he knows he's a ****. He knows he can get away with talking **** about people. You've given him this power through worship. And not treating him like a normal human or regular poster. You've put him on a pedestal and he loves it.

But I'm not gonna let you guys keep treating me like **** and bringing me down for opinions (this is what the 4th or 5th time) and then begging me to come back after I leave and then doing it again.

None of you even bother to message me. So tired of this routine of I post an opinion and it's tore apart in such a visceral way and it's ''warranted" that I was put down or knocked down a peg.

Chillest guy around the joint, but you all just keep pushing me to my limit.

No more.

Good bye.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
This is my goodbye.

That's all.

You're all friends with me one minute, then agreeing with Burb throwing me under the bus the next.

You can continue to praise the ******* around the joint that is Burb.

You worship this guy, but he knows he's a ****. He knows he can get away with talking **** about people. You've given him this power through worship. And not treating him like a normal human or regular poster. You've put him on a pedestal and he loves it.

But I'm not gonna let you guys keep treating me like **** and bringing me down for opinions (this is what the 4th or 5th time) and then begging me to come back after I leave and then doing it again.

None of you even bother to message me. So tired of this routine of I post an opinion and it's tore apart in such a visceral way and it's ''warranted" that I was put down or knocked down a peg.

No more.

Good bye.
You're blowing this way out of proportion.

Chrono.

The only non-Sonic SEGA characters I could see in Smash are NiGHTS are AiAi.

Hell NiGHTS is the closest thing SEGA's got to a second mascot.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I don't know, it looked pretty civil.

There were some blunt responses here and there, but I didn't see any direct aggression, just disagreement.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Haven't been here in a while, kinda avoided coming here because of post E3 negativity etc.

Anyways, I've been replaying Superstar saga these past few days and I am HYPED for Paper jam. Love the DLC characters in Smash, Lucas is my main fo sure.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Ah Memories.

Still wish we got Doc Lewis giving Little Mac tips on fighters and his chocolate puns
This. I want this so much now. What an amazing idea :D
Doc: Let him Have it Mac.
Mac:"Throws Chocolate Bar at the enemy."
Doc: Ha ha ha.

I just wish we had Pokedex entries, but guess who got cut...
Poor, poor trainer. The one veteran who hasn't got a leg to stand on.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Doesn't the gameplay and story and the prescence of angels, demons, witches make the game more ridiculous than MGS and Resident Evil. It's so action-packed like Wonderful 101 that it's unreal in so many ways.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
This is my goodbye.

That's all.

You can continue to praise the ******* around the joint that is Burb.

No more.

Good bye.
This is coming from someone who backed you on several occasions. You're projecting onto burb. I read the back and forth and I saw little if any of his usual snarkiness. Burb can be rude sometimes, but this isnt one of those times. He was just disagreeing...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You're blowing this way out of proportion.
I don't know that I am.

I'm the only person this continues to happen to.

I'm consistently belittled for opinion based ****. Sonic Generations argument, this, K. Rool (which I'll admit I kind of deserved that one), and I feel as if there was one more.

If this was just a one time occurrence where everyone ganged up against me? I'd agree with you and say I was being a whiny little *****.

But it's not...

Maybe you all just have a problem with me, so I'm removing myself from the scenario.

I'm also just really fed up with you being put on a pedestal above the rest of us.

Literally you get an unfair amount of worship for nothing.

And you don't help matters by being snooty and snarky in your interactions with people.

You can be blunt, but you can also just forgo your bluntness all together and fall into that danger area of being an ass..

So it's a combo of those two things, really.

And I'm just done.

It feels like I can't say anything around you people without eventually being torn apart.

So I'm done.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I don't know that I am.

I'm the only person this continues to happen to.

I'm consistently belittled for opinion based ****. Sonic Generations argument, this, K. Rool (which I'll admit I kind of deserved that one), and I feel as if there was one more.

If this was just a one time occurrence where everyone ganged up against me? I'd agree with you and say I was being a whiny little *****.

But it's not...

Maybe you all just have a problem with me, so I'm removing myself from the scenario.

I'm also just really fed up with you being put on a pedestal above the rest of us.

Literally you get an unfair amount of worship for nothing.

And you don't help matters by being snooty and snarky in your interactions with people.

You can be blunt, but you can also just forgo your bluntness all together and fall into that danger area of being an ***..

So it's a combo of those two things, really.

And I'm just done.

It feels like I can't say anything around you people without eventually being torn apart.

So I'm done.
How am I being worshiped? :s

People just agreed with me that it was hypocritical of you to talk down the chances of a RE character because the series is violent and serious, all the while getting extremely angry at people for saying the same about Bayonetta's chances.

What does this have to do with me and you as people? Look at the first post I made calling you out on that. Plenty of people who typically do not like me gave that post a Like.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I'm pretty sure we all alternate between saying "Burb, that was unnecessary" and "Roger, you're taking it the wrong way"...

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
So in some more happy news. I was able to change the save batteries of my Pokemon Gold and Silver Cartridges. Here's a video of the process if anyone wants to do the same.

If anyone else's games have lost the ability to save. With this you can finally be able to save again.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
So in some more happy news. I was able to change the save batteries of my Pokemon Gold and Silver Cartridges. Here's a video of the process if anyone wants to do the same.

If anyone else's games have lost the ability to save. With this you can finally be able to save again.
Just from looking at this, I can tell I'd mess this up lol. My hands are way too shaky for this kind of thing.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Agreeing with an opinion =/= worship

Worship would be us saying: [user] is God, [user] is always right, those who dare speak against [user] are heretics, etc. We've all been disagreed and agreed with at some point.

Doesn't the gameplay and story and the prescence of angels, demons, witches make the game more ridiculous than MGS and Resident Evil. It's so action-packed like Wonderful 101 that it's unreal in so many ways.
Gameplay, story, presence of angels, demons and witches.

M-rated and action packed.

This has precedent.

8 years precedent, too.

And from what was originally an RE game.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
If you can't handle talking to each other like adults, please ignore the other person. Click on their profile, and "Ignore". No one wants problems for our group, and it makes everyone feel uncomfortable. We don't want you to leave, but for the love of god stop fighting.

Burb wasn't attacking you, he was arguing with you. Also no one is worshipping Burb. Personally, I clicked like for him because frankly he had better arguments. There have been a lot of times where Burb and I have disagreed in the past.

If you are going to have an argument based on pure opinion, then expect people to disagree with you. Usually pure opinion arguments turn into a pissing contest where both parties go, "not uh, Im correct" and "that's wrong because I said so!", that's why I generally try to avoid them and try to connect it back to facts/ history whenever possible.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
I really only see one person here making a fuss and it's not Burb.

Roger, you really are just making a huge deal out of people doing nothing but disagreeing with you. Whenever people don't 100% agree with you, you tend to flip out and make a huge deal out of it and then accuse people of "taking sides" or something. You did it here just now with Burb, you did it with K. Rool, you did it when I voiced my opinion on Rosalina and you've done it countless other times.

Hell this isn't the first time you've said you're leaving. And each time you come back anyways, unrepentant and from there it's just a matter of time till the next blowup because someone didn't bend over backwards to agree with you. If anyone's become used to getting away with drama and/or being worshipped, it's you pal.
Getting back to the topic at-hand, what's the general consensus on the state of those two MarioD slots? Pre-ballot or post-ballot? Personally I'd say pre-ballot, because I don't feel like they'd start work on or even "reserve" ballot slots on-disc for something that won't be finalized until October.

My personal guess for the leftover DLC amount is 3 min, 6 max. 3 because of the two pre-ballot DLCs, and then the ballot winner, and 6 if they're feeling generous, but in no way can I see us getting more than 10 DLC characters total.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom