• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Been thinking about Jangmo-o...

Studied and poked around for the etymology for it's name I found...
"mo'o" Hawaiian Dragon or lizard of course...
"jjang" Korean slang word for 'best', 'top' or 'super'...

best I could find while jang may still have other meanings...

Did some research on the Mo'o to see what potential Jangmo-o may have in this area...From what I found their legends are quite typical amoung dragons sometimes malevolent in nature while some are viewed as protectors...one legends has them kidnap a maiden and they are pursued to be slain in an attempt to recover said maiden...often they are depicted at sea or in caves (could be potential for a Water typing actually)...there's also legends that slain Mo'o become part of the Hawaiian landscape...One such legend speaks of it ever watching the landscape even centuries after it's demise...
Interesting to note that despite the longevity of these legends, lizards are typically not native to Hawaii...however ancient Polynesian settlers would've likely known about the Komodo, Water Monitors, Snakes, and Crocodiles from Australia and Indonesia, who's tribes have their own legends and have likely carried over to Hawaii...Didn't really find anything that really ties to Jangmo-o directly other than it's name and that it's a dragon...

So I did some poking around for my Griffon theory, but it's interesting to note that Jangmo-o is considered a brave and valiant pokemon...Valiance is synonymous with courage and two very commonly used symbols of courage are the Lion and the Eagle...Griffon's are hybrids of Lions and Eagles...so naturally Griffons are also symbols of courage...they are also used rather often in emblems on flags and sports teams to denote the team's strength and courage...
Another interesting thing to note Lions are considered the King of the Beasts, while Eagles are often considered the King of the Skies which once again makes the Griffon a symbolic King of all creatures...'King'...often the highest authority in a society's monarchy...the 'Top' of the Hierarchy...remember jjang is slang for 'best', 'top' or 'super' in korean...Jangmo-o could literally translate to 'The Top Dragon' or 'Best Dragon'....'The King of Dragons'....and this is only it's baby form at the moment if this is indeed the basic form of a three stage Psuedo-legendary line...I wonder what name it could have on it's final stage, God of All Dragons?

Additionally looking at Jangmo-o's design...it somewhat resembles prehistoric Ceratopsians...specifically Protoceratops...
The heart-shaped head piece is similar to the frills of the ancient dinos, additionally protoceratops very likely used their hard heads to ram opponents as well as used it for defense against predators...Ceratopsians would always try to face their adversaries to make the most of their offense and defense (Some ceratopsians evolved a ball and socket joint at the base of their neck to allow for better maneuverability)...very much like Jangmo-o is described to do...there's also the beak like mouth it has similar to Ceratopsians...

Why is this important?
While there are some arguments to disprove the notion...there was a belief that protoceratops fossils inspired the legends of the Griffin...some refer to is as the 'protoceratops-griffin hypothesis'...A very bird like head with it's beak and a quadrupedal body...similarly how it's likely that ancient explorers mistook dinosaur bones to be that of dragons and other mythical beasts...along the way they were likely described to have wings as well probably due to it's bird like appearance...

another part of it's design are what appears to be tufts of feathers or fur...on it's chest and head...something that could likely grow into a lion's mane of sorts...something prideful of a creature that dedicates itself to training...There's also the golden scales on it's body and Griffons are often depicted being Gold in colour, as well as sometimes descripbed as Guardians of treasure which includes gold...

Most likely typings?
Flying
-would be the most obvious you'd think, a dragon that sprouts wings and becomes a bird like Griffon and can fly of course it would be a flying type, right? FLYgon...not a flying type...garchomp is also said to be able to fly...Dragonair can also fly (although it does evolve into a flying type)...and Hydreigon...the ability to fly doesn't necessarily make it a flying type...Of course I'm not ruling it out, but unlike Bagon who dreamed of one day flying and eventually sprouted wings and became a flying type Jangmo-o is slightly different in it's nature which has me thinking differently...then again who even says that the Griffon even has to fly it could wings or wing like appendages but not fly (ala Mega Absol)
Fighting
-is also a very possible typing, as it's description implies it's a Valiant pokemon, Valiant, Bravery, Courage...the Griffon being a symbol of Courage, having courage is something that is viewed as being rather heroic, and in Japan Fighting type is the Hero type afterall, Griffins are also thought to be Guardians at times, perhaps this is the purpose of Jangmo-o's training in it's youth to grow into guardians of Alola? Or Guardians of some Treasure...There's also the fact that Jangmo-o dedicates itself to it's training even living in seclusion from other creatures other than its own kind in order to better it's training...I'm actually willing to bet it will be a fighting type...

At this point I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jangmo-o became a Griffin at some point, a prospect I'm actually somewhat excited about, I've always wanted a Griffon pokemon, it's definitely a notable absence in Pokemon atm, and there's so many pieces that fall together at this point I'm almost expecting it...Regardless if it's a Griffon or not this is easily the Pokemon with the best potential for it's evolutions that we have revealed so far for sun and moon...

I think it's safe to say Jangmo-o is my new favourite Alola Pokemon...
i really hope it becomes a dragon/fighting type pseudo legedary. great details about its inspirations though.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
By that logic Scount won because of the home run, which can OHKO Heavy, the class with the highest HP
or you know being a super hero with a supersuit designed by the hero version of gorilla grodd probobly makes that null and void...seriously traces basically the flash with a lower acess to the speed force

and before you come up with another reason why scout should have won let me stop you right there for you see death batte
ignores everything that happens visually and simply has the winner win

an example of this is the mario vs sonic fight in which sonic avoids drowning by going super sonic...despite the fact super sonic cant breath underwater thats hyper sonic...mater of fact going super sonic would have taken enough time to have killed sonic because in game his breath timer still goes on while he transforms

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
or you know being a super hero with a supersuit designed by the hero version of gorilla grodd probobly makes that null and void...seriously traces basically the flash with a lower acess to the speed force

and before you come up with another reason why scout should have won let me stop you right there for you see death batte
ignores everything that happens visually and simply has the winner win

an example of this is the mario vs sonic fight in which sonic avoids drowning by going super sonic...despite the fact super sonic cant breath underwater thats hyper sonic...mater of fact going super sonic would have taken enough time to have killed sonic because in game his breath timer still goes on while he transforms
Tracer is still a very frail character.
Not a point to DB's favour, as it means they cherry pick, making the Matpat comparison more justified funny enough.
Super Sonic can breathe underwater in Colours iirc

D

Deleted member

I'm curious, what other times did Death Battle leave out research? I remember seeing people pissed at Captain America VS Batman as Cap didn't have his full gear, I remember Link VS Cloud being controversial as Link's 'advantage of Z Targeting' is something Cloud could do in Dissidia and Kirby VS Buu forgetting Kirby is only 8 inches tall
I think one of the more controversial ones was Bowser vs. Ganondorf.
Namely for the idea that Ganondorf's "Death Curse" was more along the lines of a tree-killing spider inside the tree and not an actual....."death curse" that should have affected Bowser.

one the one hand yes they did ignore a vast majority of his arsenal...then again your not supposed to be able to switch weapon loadouts unless you respawn ie DIE
And since when does Death Battle completely follow established video game limitations to the letter?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

EDIT: Double post. Delete this.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think one of the more controversial ones was Bowser vs. Ganondorf.
Namely for the idea that Ganondorf's "Death Curse" was more along the lines of a tree-killing spider inside the tree and not an actual....."death curse" that should have affected Bowser.

And since when does Death Battle completely follow established video game limitations to the letter?
I remember something else that pissed fans off with that. Didn't Screwattack use the 'can only be slain by holy weapons' **** Ganon has in the games?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Turns out that Death Battle was just a glorified One Minute Melee all along. :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Tracer is still a very frail character.
Not a point to DB's favour, as it means they cherry pick, making the Matpat comparison more justified funny enough.
Super Sonic can breathe underwater in Colours iirc
Also, Ultimates in OW can only charge at a good rate by dealing damage, Scout was invincible, therefore no damage was dealt. Ergo, Overwatch's mechanics gave Scout an edge that ScrewAttack neglected to mention. Oops!

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Damn. That's just pure bias then. Especially considering they're willing to break Batman's no killing rule
And that's where your point falls to pieces.
The whole point of Death Battle is that it's a fight to the death. No holding back at all. You'd think people would actually know this by now but apparently not.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, fire is purity, and purity is holy

Bowser should be able to use his breath to purify Ganondorf to holy ash

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'm curious as to why UB-01 supposedly has no will or mind.

Why say that?

I know its based on a jellyfish but still.
If that's true then there is no way it an be Lilie as she has those capabilities. Still Connected to her most likely though.
Nintendo literally giving away NX's.

when is the goddamn reveal
Nintendo Twitter Rep: Hey Reggie what should be our giveaway prize?

Reggie: How about an NX? The fans loved the reveal and it's got a great lineup. We revealed that right? I'm sure we did

Rep: Yeah, that sounds great!

Well it looks nice, but the blurriness makes it hard to identify issues. There still seems to be more then just 2 playable sonics. We will know soon enough though.

D

Deleted member

Damn. That's just pure bias then. Especially considering they're willing to break Batman's no killing rule
That's kind of different.

They established at the beginning of the series that they deliberately remove all combatants' apprehension to killing if they have it for the sake of a Death Battle.

It's not exactly bias in that regard.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
That moment when people take DB too seriously...especially considering Tracer would've likely won anyway...they left out some info that likely wouldn't have made a difference anyways since Tracer can literally run circles around both scout and the bullets he shoots...

Anyway...

So it seems Power-up Punch Spamming a Mawile that for some reason only wants to use Crunch is a great way to make my Chesnaught tear through Valerie's fairies with Poison Jab...My Drapion was not even needed...welp...
and since no one answered my question I think I'll go with Sharpedo...A fast physical water type always comes in handy...

(I'm also very Cross again :p)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
And that's where your point falls to pieces.
The whole point of Death Battle is that it's a fight to the death. No holding back at all. You'd think people would actually know this by now but apparently not.
But when Hyrule Warriors breaks that rule, and I'm damn certain that there were more than enough non-holy weapons in that game that could beat Ganondorf before the DB match happened, why did DB just go 'nah, we'll give him an everything proof shield'. Before you say "Spinoff", allow me to mention 1 death battle. Zelda VS Peach, Both of them pretty much exclusively used spinoff weaponry, DB does this all the time, so when a spinoff removes Ganondorf's arbitrary reason for Link beating him, why keep it? The fight should be as fair as possible

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
lets all agree one minute melee is a much better series than death battle...also much better than DBX the discount OMM

and heres my proof

long story short despite telling whos going to win by whats going on its still an amazing fight and the ending is satisfying

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
One Kirby fan I ran into say Kirby fights universe busters on a daily basis.

View attachment 117359

Ok then...
Nightmare, Sectonia, Dark Matter, Drawcia, Dark Nebula, and YinYarn bust universes? :troll:

At least it was believable in Magolor's case thanks to the Master Crown.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That moment when people take DB too seriously...especially considering Tracer would've likely won anyway...they left out some info that likely wouldn't have made a difference anyways since Tracer can literally run circles around both scout and the bullets he shoots...

Anyway...

So it seems Power-up Punch Spamming a Mawile that for some reason only wants to use Crunch is a great way to make my Chesnaught tear through Valerie's fairies with Poison Jab...My Drapion was not even needed...welp...
and since no one answered my question I think I'll go with Sharpedo...A fast physical water type always comes in handy...

(I'm also very Cross again :p)
I literally didn't care about the outcome. It's just bad to leave out information like Scout's magic which is canon in the TF2 universe. Not to mention I finished AAIII and feel very Edgeworth today
Nightmare, Sectonia, Dark Matter, Drawcia, Dark Nebula, and YinYan bust universes? :troll:

0 is the leader of Dark Matter, so if you're going to count it, count 0

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Nintendo Twitter Rep: Hey Reggie what should be our giveaway prize?

Reggie: How about an NX? The fans loved the reveal and it's got a great lineup. We revealed that right? I'm sure we did

Rep: Yeah, that sounds great!
More or less what actually happened. :dizzy:

My new headcanon is that it's been so long since the NX was announced so Nintendo thinks that they already revealed the console.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Nightmare, Sectonia, Dark Matter, Drawcia, Dark Nebula, and YinYan bust universes? :troll:

But Dark Nebula can destroy a solar system within Gamble Galaxy with its awakening.

Oh wait, that's just a mere background change. :troll:

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
But when Hyrule Warriors breaks that rule, and I'm damn certain that there were more than enough non-holy weapons in that game that could beat Ganondorf before the DB match happened, why did DB just go 'nah, we'll give him an everything proof shield'. Before you say "Spinoff", allow me to mention 1 death battle. Zelda VS Peach, Both of them pretty much exclusively used spinoff weaponry, DB does this all the time, so when a spinoff removes Ganondorf's arbitrary reason for Link beating him, why keep it? The fight should be as fair as possible
Zelda vs Peach used spin-off stuff because that's the only time they'd had any form of actual fighting otherwise Peach would literally just throw turnips and smack Zelda with an Umbrella whilst Zelda would do what exactly? Regardless the animation is just for show.
Tracer vs Scout is one sided.
Flash vs Quicksilver is one sided.
Superman vs Goku is one sided.
Making fights "fair" leads to Yang vs Tifa happening.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I literally didn't care about the outcome. It's just bad to leave out information like Scout's magic which is canon in the TF2 universe. Not to mention I finished AAIII and feel very Edgeworth today

0 is the leader of Dark Matter, so if you're going to count it, count 0
Ok, then Zero it is.

Even taking over a planet one by one isn't even close to solar system busting.

I also purposely left out the Star Dream since while it does reality warp like NOVA, it's not even close to a universe buster.

But Dark Nebula can destroy a solar system within Gamble Galaxy wit its awakening.

Oh wait, that's just a mere background change. :troll:

Oh right, that one reason why Vs Battles Wiki think everyone from Kirby is a multi-solar system buster for some reason. :troll:

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Nintendo announces mario runner game to the sighs of the apple audience because they realize this is what they asked for by saying "bring mario to mobile nintendo"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1275049

A thread actually having info
- In Mario for iOS, you'll play a plumber who must fill all of the headphone jacks before time runs out.
- Mario runs automatically to the right, and jumps over gaps and enemies by tapping on the screen. The longer you tap, the higher and longer Mario jumps.
- There's also a battle mode for multiple players
- Paid game, not free to play, no subscriptions or anything. Pricing to be announced later, but will come out in time for holiday 2016.
- There's also a set of Super Mario stickers for iMessage, that will come out alongside iOS 10.
INB4 is this NX?"
:061:

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
so ive come to the realization that im sure some of you have too if you ask of something from nintendo you are basically wishing on a monkeys paw

dont do it and you wont be responsible for your own disapointment

D

Deleted member

FireRed playthrough update:
Current team:
:002:Avocado
:058:Doug
:133:Zappy (The name gives away what it's gonna evolve into)
:022:Joseph
:051:Ashley
:020: Rattatat
I already made it to Celadon City and Avocado is extremely overleveled (one level away from evolving, to be exact), I mean so is Ashley but she was at a high level since she was captured...
I already have a Thunder stone as well as a Fire stone, but I'm waiting for Doug and Zappy to learn a few moves before they evolve (Bite is actually pretty useful on Jolteon due to the lack of Physical/Special split)
Also, I'm gonna need alot of money because I am not gonna waste my time trying to get more game coins through the slot machines. It sucks that these TMs can't be found anywhere else in the games, but fortunetly, one of the TMs is learned by one of my future team members through level up, so that's one TM saved.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Zelda vs Peach used spin-off stuff because that's the only time they'd had any form of actual fighting otherwise Peach would literally just throw turnips and smack Zelda with an Umbrella whilst Zelda would do what exactly?
Tracer vs Scout is one sided.
Flash vs Quicksilver is one sided.
Superman vs Goku is one sided.
Making fights "fair" leads to Yang vs Tifa happening.
Tetra's a maingame Zelda and she's a captain, not to mention she used Light Arrows. OoT Zelda has her using Magic to keep Ganondorf away. And wasn't there a fight with Hilda? I know that game came out after the DB but if so, that's just another Zelda that does ****
The fair fights are usually much more fun due to not exactly knowing who'll win. And the only real issues with this one imo are lack of research and Sol VS Ragna tier fights

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Tetra's a maingame Zelda and she's a captain, not to mention she used Light Arrows. OoT Zelda has her using Magic to keep Ganondorf away. And wasn't there a fight with Hilda? I know that game came out after the DB but if so, that's just another Zelda that does ****
Ergo not using spin-off stuff for the animation which has no bearing on anything all would have made the battle boring because Zelda would just shoot arrows because that's all we see her do outside of transforming.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I think Silva has finally lost his mind:

And mario runners looks ok, not something I'd want to pay for though.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I guess we can say the running genre of mobile games will never die at this point.

Hopefully this one isn't as money grubbing as Sonic Runners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom