• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I think it's time for the sequel to my protagonist questions I asked here a few weeks ago. This time, this one is about villains.

1) What qualities do you personally look for in a good (well-written) main villain?
2) What do you think distinguishes a good main villain from a bad main villain?
3) Who is your favorite main villain in a work of fiction (video game/book/movie/TV show/anime/etc.) and why?
4) Who is your least favorite main villain in a work of fiction (video game/book/movie/TV show/anime/etc.) and why?
5) Who is a main villain that you absolutely despise but you admit is a very well written character?
6) Who is a main villain that you absolutely despise and is a terribly written character?

I'm curious to see what your answers will be.
1-It depends, I like a lot of different kinds of villains: Well-Intentioned Extremists usually bring gray morality into the story, tragic villains make me sympathize with them, Noble Demons, Lawful Evil villains and the such are generally characters I can respect a lot, villains who can pull their plans successfully to estabilish them as threats and the list goes on.
But my favorite type of villain is the one that I "Love to Hate": characters that in-universe are so despicable that no one could possibly like being around them yet are so well-written and entertaining you end up wanting to see more of them but at the same time you just want to see the main protagonist beat the **** out of them. Basically, they are villains that are evil to the bone, entertaining to watch and have you waiting for the big payoff which, in the case of a main villain, is the final battle.

2-Villains that do it For The Evulz, characters thta have no reason to do such things or have cliche ones like wanting to "take over the world". Even if they just like making others suffer, have a god-complex or whatever, then explain that, it's a kind of villain that can work but don't do it as if they're just there to be a "final boss"

3-Well, I usually prefer side villains rather than main villains, much like with protagonists and side characters but even then, my favorite main villain is Kefka from FFVI.
He falls perfectly under Love to Hate, is a constant threat throughout the game, each of his appearences making you hate him even more, actually achieving his plans(well, for the most part), really gives me the feeling of wanting to punch him in the ****ing face already and the payoff is more than worth it all.

4-Grima from FE: Awakening. Not only he is a generic "I wanna take over the world" villain, but he comes 3/4 into a story that had two actually good villains that have their spotlight taken away so Robin can be relevant

5-Well, that falls under the Love to Hate and I already used my best example so I'll try my second best that is not named Dio: Ryunosuke Akutagawa from Bungou Stray Dogs. While the series has its flaws and he's technically only the main villain in the first season, he's not only a threat but also someone that you just want to get beaten down because he deserves it. Episode 10 was so satisfying because of this. Also, his design is pretty cool.

6-Zemus from FFIV. Shows up at the end of the game only as an scapegoat to everything that has happened? Check. Has more power than anyone else even though he's just another guy from his species? Check. Is racist? *ding* Is literally Emperor Palpatine? Check.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
See, this is where I'm split on this whole thing:

On one hand, yes it is a title of theirs, and they have every right to protect their franchises.

But on the other hand this is a ten year old game that at this point is merely dust on the Virtual Console shelf. It's been emulated and ROM hacked even before this. Why not just leave it alone as you will gain absolutely nothing from taking it down? Because God knows they ain't doing anything for the anniversary.

Look, I love Nintendo, and they've made great games. But I can't deny that they've had a long history of not only doing nothing with their franchises, but also looking at fan demand like cans tied on string. You only have to go as far as their war on Youtube for that.
They just make very strange decisions is what I'm getting at.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I think it's time for the sequel to my protagonist questions I asked here a few weeks ago. This time, this one is about villains.

1) What qualities do you personally look for in a good (well-written) main villain?
2) What do you think distinguishes a good main villain from a bad main villain?
3) Who is your favorite main villain in a work of fiction (video game/book/movie/TV show/anime/etc.) and why?
4) Who is your least favorite main villain in a work of fiction (video game/book/movie/TV show/anime/etc.) and why?
5) Who is a main villain that you absolutely despise but you admit is a very well written character?
6) Who is a main villain that you absolutely despise and is a terribly written character?

I'm curious to see what your answers will be.
1.) I want a villain to be loveable, someone who just loves doing what they do. I like villains who are comedic, but still show a sinister side that makes them a threat.

2.) A good villain is someone you love to hate.

3.) My favorite villain in any media would have to be Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. He's filled with energy, narcissistic, and loves doing what he does. He can make you laugh, but he's not afraid to show you how evil he can be(blow the moon in half, split the planet into several parts, enslaving an entire alien race). A close second would have to be Hades from Kid Icarus Uprising, for most of the same reasons.

4.) Can't remember his name (that should tell you everything) but the main villain of the second-half of Sword Art Online. Even as someone who finds enjoyment in SAO, I can not deny he was a terrible villain.

5.) I wouldn't say I despise him, but I would have to say the Joker. I don't read comics, but I know when the Joker is done right, he is done beautifully.

6.) One again, I'll have to say the main villain of the second-half of Sword Art Online.

Chrono.

On one hand, yes it is a title of theirs, and they have every right to protect their franchises.

But on the other hand this is a ten year old game that at this point is merely dust on the Virtual Console shelf. It's been emulated and ROM hacked even before this. Why not just leave it alone as you will gain absolutely nothing from taking it down? Because God knows they ain't doing anything for the anniversary.

Look, I love Nintendo, and they've made great games. But I can't deny that they've had a long history of not only doing nothing with their franchises, but also looking at fan demand like cans tied on string. You only have to go as far as their war on Youtube for that.
If Nintendo were smart they'd give the guy a job or something.

I remember Capcom endorsing a Megaman fangame a while back and SEGA gave Taxman a job.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Well as you said, it is there child- I mean franchise. People would of expected that to happen

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well as you said, it is there child- I mean franchise. People would of expected that to happen
But that right there is the confusing bit. I mean really was Nintendo getting so much revenue from Metroid 2 that this would completely kill sales?

And even then this isn't the first fan project to have happened, nor the first of Metroid. So why only this one and why now?

Chrono.

But that right there is the confusing bit. I mean really was Nintendo getting so much revenue from Metroid 2 that this would completely kill sales?

And even then this isn't the first fan project to have happened, nor the first of Metroid. So why only this one and why now?
Because there's a pretty good chance it's probably some troll who submits DMCA reports with a fake Nintendo email.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
D

Deleted member

I just found out that Titmouse tried to get the rights to Megas XLR back a few years ago. ****, that'd be great to see
Really? HOLY **** THIS IS SO EXI-

*remembers how bad the "revivals" of Teen Titans and PPG went*

.....PLEASE NO......

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
While we have.
Something a bit further down is interesting, from the OP.

"Robinroot: Grass/Flying, Grass, Grass/Ground, Grass/Electric

Beltigre: Fire/Dark, Fire, Fire/Ghost, Fire/Poison

Sirene: Water/Fairy, Water, Water/Fighting, Water/Psychic

Weruff: Rock/Dark, Rock/Fighting, Rock/Steel, Rock/Fairy

Porprise: Water/Ice, Water/Steel, Water/Fairy, Water/Dragon

Darline/Darwisker: the fabled breed cats. Normal/Anything.

Snohom/Snorror, Rugrilla, Delfin/Porprise, Fungkie/Hallucid, Cumbersum/Anenemie all got mentions in previous leaks as well.

Malshadow has some kind of type-shifting ability, but i don't know any more on that at this time."
i wonder which one is the pseudo legendary? i hope its the dragon/fighting type. also i really wonder if the starters will get different evolutions. i'm liking the sound of robinroot's grass/electric combination.

Chrono.

So apparently the only place that got hit with a DMCA was some other site hosting it and not the actual guy.

Burruni

Smash Hero
i wonder which one is the pseudo legendary? i hope its the dragon/fighting type. also i really wonder if the starters will get different evolutions. i'm liking the sound of robinroot's grass/electric combination.
Going by tradition, psuedo legendaries are normally by the legendaries proper.
And given it's a three stage line...
Cosmot - Spectrodon - Quasar are likely it, IF this leak is true.

All hail the Eggplant Wizard!

It's really funny reading Opo's and Swamp's posts when I know what they are talking about
But what about "Q", "!" And "Batman Symbol"?
Okay maybe I don't know what they are talking about.
I love this job.
Job? Man I would love to have "professional ****poster" on my resume. . .[/QUOTE]
:061:

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Going by tradition, psuedo legendaries are normally by the legendaries proper.
And given it's a three stage line...
Cosmot - Spectrodon - Quasar are likely it, IF this leak is true.
ah i see. still, i hope that the dragon/fighting pokemon looks badass and is OU viable.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So I heard Pokemon Go was banned in Iran.

It's like this is the 90's all over again.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
All hail the Eggplant Wizard!

It's really funny reading Opo's and Swamp's posts when I know what they are talking about

Okay maybe I don't know what they are talking about.

Job? Man I would love to have "professional ****poster" on my resume. . .
:061:[/QUOTE]
It's okay, I'M not even sure what Swamp said this time. :laugh:

Although I'm pretty sure Batman Symbol was an old school Family Guy reference. :p

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
btw...just watched Suicide Squad....

It was....alright...nothing really too special I thought...still need to watch BvS...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The last comment was just me joking.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I knew Swamp was joking. Was just trying to throw everyone of the scent. No "Scent" isn't a hint either.

Reminder that Nintenzone has a Discord now.

For everyone who doesn't know what Discord is it's essentially a live chat. You can post whenever instantly and unlike SB you can post as much as you want. Plus you don't have to feel awkward about a 2 word post

. . .also you can have media only posts without text :p

We have posts like this here!

An example of what it may look like.

So check it out if you want!
https://discord.gg/Cxasx

EDIT beat
:061:

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Not surprised Metroid II remake got taken down. At least I downloaded it.

But yeah, that swimmer at the Olympics was mind blowingly FAST.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Well... partly. The others do have a hand in it with PushDustIn PushDustIn having complete control. So in that sense, the twitter has somewhat of aa check and balances system in place.
Only I have the brains to run SG

...I mean password. Only I have the password for the Twitter account.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Damn... shame that somebody is forcing the takedown of AM2R. This was the celebration of the Metroid series made by the fans, for the fans.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, i'm walking around work during my break and I decide to open pokemon go...

I wonder to myself "why bother, i'm out of everything but a few ultra balls ...I guess there's that rare chance I could get a squirtle though"

...Bam, right in front of me is a squirtle

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
That sucks. Nintendo DOES have the right to do this, but it sucks nonetheless
Why the **** isn't the game in there?
Well don't forget, it could be that fake Nintendo employee who has been taking down fan projects with a fake e-mail account...
Betting that this is the exact case. Sucks that it's so easy to do these things

Oh yeah, Vega's difficulty curve was weird.

The Gym Leaders were pure hell but the regular trainers were just... normal (I eventually gave up on grinding and Rare Candy'd it). Also thought it was odd how all the Team DH members spammed stuff like X Attack.

Other than that, I loved it. I liked how fakemon were locked post game because it actually gave me a reason to explore the new locations (still have to beat Sphere Ruins though...).
Yeah it's a tough curve, I wound up just leveling up though. Leaders and E4 are pretty tough. And the stat boosters was a weird but interesting evil team gimmick. Good luck in the ruins. The pokemon being locked works for real games, but I didn't enjoy it as much in fan games.

btw...just watched Suicide Squad....

It was....alright...nothing really too special I thought...still need to watch BvS...
Don't watch it....

SS wasn't to bad though, just saw it as well.

Only I have the brains to run SG

...I mean password. Only I have the password for the Twitter account.
Let me guess, it's PushChanRocks?

:p

And I love the thread title. Also Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei and Opossum Opossum we have a discord for the crypticness.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Don't watch it....
or....

I'll watch it anyways and form my own informed opinion, and decide for myself if I like it or not...instead of going off of other people's opinions and making myself look like an ignorant ****...

I heard other people's opinions, I'm not expecting much, but I want to stay informed since I have an interest in watching other movies from the DCU such as Justice League and Wonder Woman...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom