• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Actually...

Opossum Opossum

About your....project.

How much has changed?
I'm gonna be cryptic again, so hopefully you'll know what I mean.

The recruits went from 3 to 2, with them being "O" plus an amalgam of the other two.

"A" has a different arc theme.

Dialogue truer to the popular interpretation of their regional dialogue.

The nature of the encounter with the "AN" goes differently. There's a neat reference to "L", the V's equivalent G.

More adherence to the virtues.

I can only imagine how this sounds to literally anyone else.

Was thinking about Kid Icarus today ehile working

I had more eggplants sold today than the rest of my time working here combined.

IT'S A SIGN FROM THE EGGPLANT WIZARD
:061:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Pokemon Uranium impressions:
- Love the spritework, but I liked Gen 5's look in general
- The Fakemon designs are... Okay, so far. Nothing's popped up that I've said "woah holy **** I want this!" but they're not bad by any means
- Kinda laggy on the overworld
- I've been playing on mute so I can't say jack about the sound direction or music
- The writing, which was my biggest worry, has been pretty decent so far. A little more mature than your average Pokemon game but it doesn't go off the rails or tries too hard like Reborn/Insurgence/Rejuvenation do.
- I've already ran into a couple bugs, but nothing game breaking thus far.

Tl;dr: I like it, though as far as Fakemon go, Pokemon Vega will be hard to top. :p
Funny you mention these 2. I finished up vega the night before Uranium released.

Pretty good fangame. The mapping was annoying, story was simple but fun, the level curve sucked but I didn't mind the extra training. Pretty hard but still fun. I liked the fakemon in it, they are were very unique. I just wish that the entire other half of the dex wasn't locked behind postgame. I would have liked to used some of those in my team.

As for Uranium, the game's great. I loved the beta and the reworks are so much nicer. The new ideas are cool as well. Beat the 1st gym last night. It was changed heavily, so I wonder what the rest of the game will be like. I look forward to the other mons and the rest of the game/story.

And Insurgence is also so close! It's exciting to see two great fan games nearing completion!

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I think it's time for the sequel to my protagonist questions I asked here a few weeks ago. This time, this one is about villains.

1) What qualities do you personally look for in a good (well-written) main villain?
2) What do you think distinguishes a good main villain from a bad main villain?
3) Who is your favorite main villain in a work of fiction (video game/book/movie/TV show/anime/etc.) and why?
4) Who is your least favorite main villain in a work of fiction (video game/book/movie/TV show/anime/etc.) and why?
5) Who is a main villain that you absolutely despise but you admit is a very well written character?
6) Who is a main villain that you absolutely despise and is a terribly written character?

I'm curious to see what your answers will be.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Getting close to page 500. Willing to bet someone is going to beat me to the punch now that i'm going to be out for a bit.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think it's time for the sequel to my protagonist questions I asked here a few weeks ago. This time, this one is about villains.

1) What qualities do you personally look for in a good (well-written) main villain?
3) Who is your favorite main villain in a work of fiction (video game/book/movie/TV show/anime/etc.) and why?
4) Who is your least favorite main protagonist in a work of fiction (video game/book/movie/TV show/anime/etc.) and why?
5) Who is a main villain that you absolutely despise but you admit is a very well written character?
6) Who is a main villain that you absolutely despise and is a terribly written character?

Posing a threat, being shown to be competent, and an asshole
I'd say a good villain plans ahead, uses their smarts and their strength, and covers up their weaknesses
Dio Brando. He's an asshole, a meme machine, shows character development (He's a LOT more cautious in Stardust Crusaders), still has human traits (It's pretty much canon he'd be a good father to Giorno and DOES see Pucci as a genuine friend), has cool abilities, has a realistic reason for being an asshole, and is voiced by Patrick Seitz
Takeru Tenkuji. Boring as ****, shows no personality, does NOTHING when his childhood friend is getting his ass kicked because he doesn't feel like it, forgets he's ****ing dead and has powers all the time, doesn't actively seek the Mcguffin to resurrect him, doesn't USE the Mcguffins even though he's been able to for over 20 episodes in a 48 episode show, and doesn't fully use his abilities
Manfried Von Karma
Deadly 6 from Sonic Lost World

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Y'know, if any starters had 4 forms like the split evo leak suggests...I think the gen 1 starters would be the best choice for that

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

4) Who is your least favorite main protagonist in a work of fiction (video game/book/movie/TV show/anime/etc.) and why?

1. In my opinion, a good villain is a villain you can hate with a fiery passion
  2. This is kinda hard for me to answer, I cant come up with an answer
  3. If Komaeda Nagita from Super Dangan Ronpa 2 counts, I'll say him, even though I don't think he is a villain so much as he is a Deuteragonist. I like him because how insane he is
  4. Bill Hawks from Professor Layton and the Unwound Future because of all the stuff he caused to happen that ruin peoples lives and wasn't punched for his actions, can I even call him a protagonist?
  5. Dio Brando
  6. um....Bill Hawks again?

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

1. A villain that either: A. Has clear motivations for doing what they do beyond just being evil for the sake of there being an evil character or B. Is being evil because they just want to watch the world burn.

2. A good main villain needs to be threatening in some way along with being one of the above. They don't necessarily have to be powerful or look intimidating, a good villain can also use their wits to set traps or completely **** with people's minds. A bad villain as said will have no motivations beyond being evil just because and act more like a generic grunt would and be incompetent.

3. The Joker. He's the perfect example of a villain that doesn't look threatening nor is he particularly strong (sans Titan formula bs in Arkham Asylum). He is extremely witty, unpredictable and has plans for all kinds of things. The Joker at his best is in the Killing Joke though. He psychologically ****s with Commissioner Gordon and Batman whilst also crippling Barbara Gordon.

But there's also the Meta/Sigma from Red vs Blue. What makes him a threat is that he is a walking tank that can take stupid amounts of punishment and still not go down. He's a threat on the battlefield and he has numerous abilities to go for him. Don't **** with him.

4. Iago from Fire Emblem Fates. He just does it because he wants to be evil. He has nothing going for him. He's incompetent, his plans don't work and aren't particularly clever plus he's not even a challenge in battle.

5. Felix from Red vs Blue. The guy's a manipulative, double crossing ******* and he's so smug with himself. He's really only in it because he gets a nice paycheck at the end of the day but he has fun doing it.

6. Phillipe Loren from Saints Row the Third. He's just a general all round rich prick and he doesn't get enough time for him to show any character, plus his one claim to fame (killing Johnny Gat) is undone in Saints Row 4.

Oh and Question 4 needs amending there. You've put Protagonist down instead of villain.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The value of a certain crate I hoarded in TF2 shot up for some reason. Is someone doing an unboxing video?

D

Deleted member

Y'know, if any starters had 4 forms like the split evo leak suggests...I think the gen 1 starters would be the best choice for that
They already got Mega Evolutions (with Charizard being only one of two Pokémon to get two of them).

Let the new guys get their thing.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Oh and Question 4 needs amending there. You've put Protagonist down instead of villain.
Thanks for letting me know about the typo. It's been fixed. I guess that's what happens when you get carried away with copy and pasting.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Water Blastoise, Water/ Steel Blastoise, Water/ Dark Blastoise, and Water/ Ice Blastoise

Fire/ Flying Charizard, Fire/ Dragon Charizard, Fire/ Fighting Charizard, Fire/ Rock Charizard

Grass/Poison Venusaur, Grass/ Fairy Venusaur, Grass/ Fire Venusaur, Grass/ Psychic Venusaur

D

Deleted member

....seriously.

Why should Charizard get an alternate Fire/Dragon form Charmeleon can evolve into instead when Mega Charizard X is a thing?

The four evolution typing thing (if it's real) would most likely be because the evolution is determined by the island the starter evolved at, since the "each island does different things to certain Pokémon" concept seems to be a thing.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
....seriously.

Why should Charizard get an alternate Fire/Dragon form Charmeleon can evolve into instead when Mega Charizard X is a thing?

The four evolution typing thing (if it's real) would most likely be because the evolution is determined by the island the starter evolved at, since the "each island does different things to certain Pokémon" concept seems to be a thing.
Perhaps the alternate forms can't mega evolve, have different abilities and don't get the 100 base stat bonus of the megas

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
At least it wasn't tempura...
I'd rather eat tempura than eggplants. Also Tempura Wizard>>>>>>>>>Eggplant Wizard
Thanks for letting me know about the typo. It's been fixed. I guess that's what happens when you get carried away with copy and pasting.
Oops. In that case...
Hiroshi Tennoji, He made BOARD just so he could released the Undead for the sake of resealing, got 100s of people killed, both civilians and BOARD members, makes an artificial Undead to merge with it, and for what? Becoming god. I legitimately can't find anything I can like in him, not even his personality. It's also funny because he gets taken down 3 episodes before Blade actually ended, meaning the only thing he contributed to the plot was releasing Undead at the beginning

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866

Looks like it's now officially confirmed.

So how many games do we know of coming to NX? Zelda, Just Dance, and Sonic 2017 are what I can remember. Wasn't there another game that was said to be coming to NX?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That sucks. Nintendo DOES have the right to do this, but it sucks nonetheless
Why the **** isn't the game in there?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Why the **** isn't the game in there?
Guy in the statue doesn't have enough gangrene, immersion broken.

8/10 IGN

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Well don't forget, it could be that fake Nintendo employee who has been taking down fan projects with a fake e-mail account...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well don't forget, it could be that fake Nintendo employee who has been taking down fan projects with a fake e-mail account...
Nintendo DOES have the right to take it down though. It's Metroid II. Not to mention that fake employee targeted stuff than doesn't break the copyright law. Nintendo wasn't allowed to take it down until it was actually released because of copyright law too

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
While it does suck the Metroid 2 remake was taken down, I can at least understand why Nintendo took it down. Having the much superior version available online for free removes the need for buying the Game Boy version on the E-shop.

With that said, it did look like a good remake and I would hope Nintendo could reach out to people like this (Similar to Sega) even if it is unlikely.

Chrono.

Funny you mention these 2. I finished up vega the night before Uranium released.

Pretty good fangame. The mapping was annoying, story was simple but fun, the level curve sucked but I didn't mind the extra training. Pretty hard but still fun. I liked the fakemon in it, they are were very unique. I just wish that the entire other half of the dex wasn't locked behind postgame. I would have liked to used some of those in my team.

As for Uranium, the game's great. I loved the beta and the reworks are so much nicer. The new ideas are cool as well. Beat the 1st gym last night. It was changed heavily, so I wonder what the rest of the game will be like. I look forward to the other mons and the rest of the game/story.

And Insurgence is also so close! It's exciting to see two great fan games nearing completion!
Oh yeah, Vega's difficulty curve was weird.

The Gym Leaders were pure hell but the regular trainers were just... normal (I eventually gave up on grinding and Rare Candy'd it). Also thought it was odd how all the Team DH members spammed stuff like X Attack.

Other than that, I loved it. I liked how fakemon were locked post game because it actually gave me a reason to explore the new locations (still have to beat Sphere Ruins though...).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm gonna be cryptic again, so hopefully you'll know what I mean.

The recruits went from 3 to 2, with them being "O" plus an amalgam of the other two.

"A" has a different arc theme.

Dialogue truer to the popular interpretation of their regional dialogue.

The nature of the encounter with the "AN" goes differently. There's a neat reference to "L", the V's equivalent G.

More adherence to the virtues.

I can only imagine how this sounds to literally anyone else.
How did "J" and/or "VA" change?

And how is "F" and "G"?

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

1) Someone with motivation for doing what they do. Basically what Qrow said.

2) A good villain is one who you love to hate, but hate to love. Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2 was a great villain who did plenty of ****ed up things, but just him being him made him rememberable.

3) There's a lot of fantastic villians in all sorts of media. A few that come to mind are the Meta from Red Vs Blue, Handsome Jack from Borderlands, and Vaas from Far Cry 3.

4) As with good villains, there's also plenty of bad villains around. One that comes to mind is
The Catalyst from Mass Effect 3, also known as the 'Star Child'. Although some may say that he isn't exactly the 'main antagonist' of the game, he's the over-arching antagonist across the entire series who is revealed at the end of Mass Effect 3. He is ****, his logic is ****, and he ruined the ending to a fantastic trilogy.

5) The Joker from Batman comes to mind on this one. There's usually no rhyme or reason to what he does, just doing things impulsively to create chaos. That doesn't really sit well with me. Thing is though, the way the character is written and brought to life is what makes him great. He's a great enemy to Batman, and just really fits the atmosphere that those types of media are. I don't despise him by any means, but I'm not too much of a fan of the Joker.

6) Once again, I don't really despise this antagonist, but rather I just don't really care about him.
I wasn't too big a fan of Skull Face, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain's main villain. He used parasites to try and wipe the world of every language that isn't english. Yet also had a strain at the ready meant to kill off english speakers. And he spoke english. I just never understood him, never liked his design, and never cares for him. Killing him in the game was good just so I didn't have to deal with him anymore.

And since I never got around to answering the protagonist questions:
Let me ask everyone here:

1) What qualities do you personally look for in a good main protagonist?
2) What do you think distinguishes a good main protagonist from a bad main protagonist?
3) Who is your favorite main protagonist in a work of fiction (video game/book/movie/TV show/anime/etc.) and why?

Just thought I'd create start some discussion for once and see how it goes.
1) Someone with proper motivations for doing what they do.

2) A good protagonist is someone memorable who has fitting motivations behind their actions. A not-so-good protagonist is one that does what they do because of "why not?"

3) The Master Chief from Halo is probably my favorite protagonist. There's too many reasons to list on exactly why.

4) Gordon Freeman. I've only played the games, but it's pretty hard for me to get behind him. The thing with making silent protagonists is that you risk having a character with no good development. When you customize your character in Skyrim or Fallout 3, YOU are the character, YOU develop your character. From what I can recall back in the Half-Life games, all I did was silently wait until my next objective popped up, only doing what I was told to do like a dog. Maybe there's a novel or comic or some other type of media that makes Gordon Freeman as a character really flesh out, but with what I know, he's one of my least favorites for sure.

Chrono.

I take one nap and suddenly my Twitter feed has more salt than the Caribbean Sea over the Metroid 2 remake getting blown tf out.

Even though there's likely a bunch of mirrors online already.

If anything, Nintendo was too late.

And not to be that guy, but it's kinda reasonable why they took it down. It's not like it's a completely new fangame like Uranium or Mario X. It's a remake of a game Nintendo sells on the eShop, they likely don't want a the same game going around that you can get online for free.

That being said, it does suck that Nintendo didn't even acknowledge Metroid's anniversary, but that's nothing new. Nintendo rarely ever alludes to anniversaries that aren't Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and mayyyybe Kirby.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
How did "J" and/or "VA" change?

And how is "F" and "G"?
"J" is a much bigger presence so far, but I'm still working out his connection to "A." I want there to be some neat threads.

Didn't get to F and G yet, hence the writers block. :p I'm still working on J for the most part. AN is mostly hammered out how I want it.

Mostly.

Burruni

Smash Hero
don't know if anyone brought this up but this paticular leak showed up on 4chan that a youtuber named adrive did a video on.what do you guys make of it?

http://boards.4chan.org/vp/thread/27595410/sun-moon-pokmon-list
While we have.
Something a bit further down is interesting, from the OP.

"Robinroot: Grass/Flying, Grass, Grass/Ground, Grass/Electric

Beltigre: Fire/Dark, Fire, Fire/Ghost, Fire/Poison

Sirene: Water/Fairy, Water, Water/Fighting, Water/Psychic

Weruff: Rock/Dark, Rock/Fighting, Rock/Steel, Rock/Fairy

Porprise: Water/Ice, Water/Steel, Water/Fairy, Water/Dragon

Darline/Darwisker: the fabled breed cats. Normal/Anything.

Snohom/Snorror, Rugrilla, Delfin/Porprise, Fungkie/Hallucid, Cumbersum/Anenemie all got mentions in previous leaks as well.

Malshadow has some kind of type-shifting ability, but i don't know any more on that at this time."

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
"J" is a much bigger presence so far, but I'm still working out his connection to "A." I want there to be some neat threads.

Didn't get to F and G yet, hence the writers block. :p I'm still working on J for the most part. AN is mostly hammered out how I want it.

Mostly.
But what about "Q", "!" And "Batman Symbol"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom