• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Regarding Oricorio...

It's announcement came with the announcement of Alolan Pokemon which yielded our long necked palm tree dragon, majestic AF ice foxes and coldsteel pangolins...

Oricorio in a way works very much like the Alolan forms...I was thinking what if some Alolan pokemon were to have a similar theme as Oricorio having different typings and appearance based on which island they're from...It's not the first time previous mons had multiple typings and appearances since Castform and Rotom exist as well...

A few possibilities I've been thinking of...They can fit well within the Alola region, while they represent species or objects that come in multiple species/varieties, they also could use a bit of a boost in relevance as they are kinda forgotten and rather mediocre in the meta-game...

Alola is a region of islands which would very likely be surrounded by various forms of coral...I could very easily see corsola take on different forms of Coral based on which island's waters they are from...They could very easily take on the different typings for each island as well Water/Fire (fire coral), Water/Electric (there's a lot of Coral that have long extensions which could act like lightning rods ina way, some of them have stingers which could be used to shock enemies), Water/Psychic(brain coral), Water/Ghost(some species of fish like to gnaw on coral and I could see a very beaten up Corsola possibly been chewed on by a Bruxish or something, various species of fish are well known for munching on coral and at times are actually quite destructive)

Very much like the bird of paradise represented by Oricorio, Parrots come in many shapes and sizes...it's a bit of a waste to have just one parrot pokemon considering all the variations available. Or another possiblity, I'm not sure if this would even be considered an Alolan form anymore but Chatot could evolve into a pokemon who's typing and appearance is dependant on which island it's on...

I mean...these pokemon are kinda famous for being irrelevant (which I guess kinda makes them not irrelevant, but I digress)...Tropical waters are FILLED with all sorts of colourful varieties of fish, including angel fish...More colours, more typings...more uses for this forgotten pokemon...perhaps they feed on nutrients created by those Corsola forms which enable them to adapt and gain those Fire, Electric, Psychic and Ghost typings...

----

Other ideas for Alolan forms in a singular sense...some would work with the region while others...are just for the **** of it...

Bug/Grass....literally just make it a Coconut Crab hiding in a Coconut...

Water/Poison...Give it some neat black and white stripes and we got ourselves a neat looking Sea Snake

Dragon/Steel...no I can't let go...If I can't have my Mega Super-armoured Axe dragon...then give me an Alolan form for Haxorus with that steel typing...perhaps it lives in rocky caves and has developed more durable steel like armour or something...

I'm not ruling out starters getting Alola forms...I feel it would be pretty neat if the Johto starters get Alola forms....I feel like their new typings would still have to reflect the trifecta that starters are known for...One possibility is :154:Psychic, :157:Dark, :160:Fighting...They fit rather well I find...interesting that they still share the same advantages over each other...well except that Typlhosion is now immune to Meganium...Could even add some 'out there' secondary typings Psychic/Fairy, Dark/Poison, Fighting/Dragon...

Dragon....call me crazy....these are ideas more than predictions anyway, though with Eevee seemingly not having any new evolutions this time around...it could be possible that one of them gets an Alola form, and the irony that the Fairy Eeveelution turns into a dragon in Alola, I could actually see a few tweaks in Sylveon's design making it more draconic in appearance but yet still remain similar enough to look like it's Fairy form...the whole gains a weakness to it's old self is sort of irrelevant since both Ninetales and Sandslash are weak to their old typings...

Dragon/Fighting
Even psuedo's aren't safe...Hawaii has several shark gods in it's lore, Kamohoali'li is the most important and I can see Game Freak doing something with it Garchomp is the closest we've gone to an anthropomorphic shark, so working off of this could be interesting...Somoan warriors often use shark teeth in a lot of their weapons and Garchomp's spikes actually sort of remind me of that, so it's design would need to reflect that of Somoan warriors and their weapons...perhaps give it some tattoo like markings on it's body and add some more toothy spikes to make it more nasty looking

I wonder what ideas other people may have...

Last edited:

Chrono.

Regarding Oricorio...

It's announcement came with the announcement of Alolan Pokemon which yielded our long necked palm tree dragon, majestic AF ice foxes and coldsteel pangolins...

Oricorio in a way works very much like the Alolan forms...I was thinking what if some Alolan pokemon were to have a similar theme as Oricorio having different typings and appearance based on which island they're from...It's not the first time previous mons had multiple typings and appearances since Castform and Rotom exist as well...

A few possibilities I've been thinking of...They can fit well within the Alola region, while they represent species or objects that come in multiple species/varieties, they also could use a bit of a boost in relevance as they are kinda forgotten and rather mediocre in the meta-game...

Alola is a region of islands which would very likely be surrounded by various forms of coral...I could very easily see corsola take on different forms of Coral based on which island's waters they are from...They could very easily take on the different typings for each island as well Water/Fire (fire coral), Water/Electric (there's a lot of Coral that have long extensions which could act like lightning rods ina way, some of them have stingers which could be used to shock enemies), Water/Psychic(brain coral), Water/Ghost(some species of fish like to gnaw on coral and I could see a very beaten up Corsola possibly been chewed on by a Bruxish or something, various species of fish are well known for munching on coral and at times are actually quite destructive)

Very much like the bird of paradise represented by Oricorio, Parrots come in many shapes and sizes...it's a bit of a waste to have just one parrot pokemon considering all the variations available. Or another possiblity, I'm not sure if this would even be considered an Alolan form anymore but Chatot could evolve into a pokemon who's typing and appearance is dependant on which island it's on...

I mean...these pokemon are kinda famous for being irrelevant (which I guess kinda makes them not irrelevant, but I digress)...Tropical waters are FILLED with all sorts of colourful varieties of fish, including angel fish...More colours, more typings...more uses for this forgotten pokemon...perhaps they feed on nutrients created by those Corsola forms which enable them to adapt and gain those Fire, Electric, Psychic and Ghost typings...

----

Other ideas for Alolan forms in a singular sense...some would work with the region while others...are just for the **** of it...

Bug/Grass....literally just make it a Coconut Crab hiding in a Coconut...

Water/Poison...Give it some neat black and white stripes and we got ourselves a neat looking Sea Snake

Dragon/Steel...no I can't let go...If I can't have my Mega Super-armoured Axe dragon...then give me an Alolan form for Haxorus with that steel typing...perhaps it lives in rocky caves and has developed more durable steel like armour or something...

I'm not ruling out starters getting Alola forms...I feel it would be pretty neat if they get Alola forms....I feel like their new typings would still have to reflect the trifecta that starters are known for...One possibility is :154:Psychic, :157:Dark, :160:Fighting...They fit rather well I find...interesting that they still share the same advantages over each other...well except that Typlhosion is now immune to Meganium...Could even add some 'out there' secondary typings Psychic/Fairy, Dark/Poison, Fighting/Dragon...

Dragon....call me crazy....these are ideas more than predictions anyway, though with Eevee seemingly not having any new evolutions this time around...it could be possible that one of them gets an Alola form, and the irony that the Fairy Eeveelution turns into a dragon in Alola, I could actually see a few tweaks in Sylveon's design making it more draconic in appearance but yet still remain similar enough to look like it's Fairy form...the whole gains a weakness to it's old self is sort of irrelevant since both Ninetales and Sandslash are weak to their old typings...

Dragon/Fighting
Even psuedo's aren't safe...Hawaii has several shark gods in it's lore, Kamohoali'li is the most important and I can see Game Freak doing something with it Garchomp is the closest we've gone to an anthropomorphic shark, so working off of this could be interesting...Somoan warriors often use shark teeth in a lot of their weapons and Garchomp's spikes actually sort of remind me of that, so it's design would need to reflect that of Somoan warriors and their weapons...perhaps give it some tattoo like markings on it's body and add some more toothy spikes to make it more nasty looking

I wonder what ideas other people may have...
I hadn't taken starters into account, just like you I think the Johto ones would be their choice.

Not sure about the typings, but maybe... Just maybe... Chikorita can finally be useful.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I hadn't taken starters into account, just like you I think the Johto ones would be their choice.

Not sure about the typings, but maybe... Just maybe... Chikorita can finally be useful.
I mean I would be hyped as **** if a Dark type Typhlosion was announced...

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I would and wouldn't.

Because Dark types mean death defensively but I would probably enjoy it design wise. :p
Offensively Dark is one of the most useful typings (Knock Off, Pursuit, Sucker Punch, Dark Pulse, Night Slash, Crunch) so I don't care if they aren't as sturdy as other types...
I mean Typhlosion loses it's weakness to Earthquake and the most common typing in the game being Water as well as double damage from Stealth Rocks so that in of itself is a big improvement not to mention it gains an immunity...

I feel like a Dark type Typhlosion would not only look sick, but it would be competitively more viable...of course it would depend on other things like stats and abilities...

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Offensively Dark is one of the most useful typings (Knock Off, Pursuit, Sucker Punch, Dark Pulse, Night Slash, Crunch) so I don't care if they aren't as sturdy as other types...
I mean Typhlosion loses it's weakness to Earthquake and the most common typing in the game being Water as well as double damage from Stealth Rocks so that in of itself is a big improvement not to mention it gains an immunity...

I feel like a Dark type Typhlosion would not only look sick, but it would be competitively more viable...of course it would depend on other things like stats and abilities...
What? Why would Typhlosion lose its weakness to Earthquake?

Chrono.

What? Why would Typhlosion lose its weakness to Earthquake?
Because it'd lose it's Fire typing to become pure Dark.

That's fair enough.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Anybody notice Poplio and Litten's final evos aren't exactly... Gender neutral, I guess?

Generally they really don't sway too hard in either direction, and even the Chikorita and Feniken lines don't immediately scream female (until Braixen goes full magical girl anyway). But Tiger Mask and the Siren seem decidedly male and female. Pretty confident these are the final designs but unless there's significant gender differences it's going to be the same awkward situation like when you find a male Gard.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Oh, I thought ya'll meant Fire/Dark

That'd be weird considering he's the fire starter
Fire/Dark would work as well, but a complete change up I feel may be more likely for the starters to make them more fresh...
Typhlosion is a Honey Badger which are pretty damn nasty creatures so a pure Dark type just works very well...I mean it makes more sense then a stretched Exeggutor becoming a Dragon...

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I want a direct so badly at this point.
I hope it's not just a fake and dumb Twitter rumour like the "Inkling is in Smash" thing from the past.
I also hope it's not an Indie Direct (the guy is an indie developer), no offense to indie fans, but that would be very boring for me.
I want NX news, or at least news about Nintendo games for 3DS or... Wii U.

inb4 Color Splash and Federation Force Direct... well, that's actually kinda likely.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Thinking that it's a conspiracy is basically a default response.

Read an excellent book on that recently, United States of Peranoia: A Conspiracy Theory by Jesse Walker. I'd recommend it to really anyone who likes/hates conspiracy theories.
I'm annoyed by conspiracy theorists a lot. They're the second most annoying group of people, only behind religious nuts.
Hey guys, I found this in the NX thread of Neogaf.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I need news.
Would be awesome if a Direct landed on my Birthday this coming Friday.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
alolan form pokemon that havent been confirmed but have been leaked
butterfree
ratata
raticate
nidoking
nidoqueen
growlithe
arcanine
doduo
dodrio (being described as taller with thicker legs)
abra
kabadra
alakazam
pidove (in a leak described as being all white)
tranquill
unfezant

potential alolan pokemon
marowack (the fire trial captian is described as having a marowack which is why cuebones listed)

Now with that being said we may know all of the kanto alolan pokemon and with pidove being mentioned in a leak that makes
it clear it wont be just gen 1 pokemon(also confirming the evolutions which is why they are listed)

so if we have to put a max number on alolan pokemon per gen lets put it at 18 (assuming marowack is standalone)
so given all of that i give you your challenge name which pokemon you want from each gen as alolan forms

-gen 2,3,4,6:18
-gen 5: 15(pidoves line has taken 3 slots)

so you have a total 87 pokemon to name with 108 total alolan pokemon maximum if we go with this logic

*Side note in the leak that got alolan ninetails half right (fire/fairy instead of ice/fairy) it sated gen 7 would have slightly more new pokemon than gen 6 so roughly 90 new mons total being a best guess so its very unlikely we will get 108 alolan pokemon
but this is more of a best possible scenario
you still have to think about why that pokemon would adapt to a new form in alola which is to say no starters or legends

ill be doing my list sometime after this post so get to thinking and lets see what we can predict

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Fire/Dark would work as well, but a complete change up I feel may be more likely for the starters to make them more fresh...
Typhlosion is a Honey Badger which are pretty damn nasty creatures so a pure Dark type just works very well...I mean it makes more sense then a stretched Exeggutor becoming a Dragon...
Typhlosion is not a Honey Badger, it's just a big Mouse.

The Pokedex doesn't lie :troll:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Why, you clearly lied about that direct you son of a *****!

Sorry, the Big Buff Cheeto Puff has taken over my mind for a bit.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Forget the Nintendo Directs, I need OFFICIAL news on the NX before I justify my purchase. This will be the last time I get a big load from my college and getting a new console after graduation would take a while.

D

Deleted member

I still remember being in utter shock and awe at a certain character reveal in a recent direct.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
wasn't there something said somewhere that the starters and rockruff hold some sort of secret? the chinese rumor said that all 4 have multiple final evolutions. could that be their secret?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
wasn't there something said somewhere that the starters and rockruff hold some sort of secret? the chinese rumor said that all 4 have multiple final evolutions. could that be their secret?
I'm kind of hoping that

The rumor sounds pretty awesome

Chrono.

That would make sense.

Both rumors that popped up mention Rockruff having multiple evolutions, only one so far has alluded to the starters having multiple ones.

...Someone needs to reorganize the rumors so we don't mix em' up.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
alolan form pokemon that havent been confirmed but have been leaked
butterfree
ratata
raticate
nidoking
nidoqueen
growlithe
arcanine
doduo
dodrio (being described as taller with thicker legs)
abra
kabadra
alakazam
pidove (in a leak described as being all white)
tranquill
unfezant

potential alolan pokemon
marowack (the fire trial captian is described as having a marowack which is why cuebones listed)

Now with that being said we may know all of the kanto alolan pokemon and with pidove being mentioned in a leak that makes
it clear it wont be just gen 1 pokemon(also confirming the evolutions which is why they are listed)

so if we have to put a max number on alolan pokemon per gen lets put it at 18 (assuming marowack is standalone)
so given all of that i give you your challenge name which pokemon you want from each gen as alolan forms

-gen 2,3,4,6:18
-gen 5: 15(pidoves line has taken 3 slots)

so you have a total 87 pokemon to name with 108 total alolan pokemon maximum if we go with this logic

*Side note in the leak that got alolan ninetails half right (fire/fairy instead of ice/fairy) it sated gen 7 would have slightly more new pokemon than gen 6 so roughly 90 new mons total being a best guess so its very unlikely we will get 108 alolan pokemon
but this is more of a best possible scenario
you still have to think about why that pokemon would adapt to a new form in alola which is to say no starters or legends

ill be doing my list sometime after this post so get to thinking and lets see what we can predict
Gen 2
Teddiursa- Dark
Ursaring- Dark/Ground
Sentret- Ground
Furret- Ground/Fire
Politoed- Water/Psychic
Aipom- Fighting
Bellossom- Grass/Fairy
Smeargel- Dark
Girafarig- Dark/Fairy
Stantler- Psychic
Dunsparce- Fairy/Dragon
Sunflora- Grass/Fire
Houndour- Ghost/Fairy
Houmdoom- Ghost/Fairy
Ariados- Bug/Dark
Gligar- Dark/Poison
Ledian- Bug/Fighting
Mantine- Water/Dragon

Gen 3
Mightyena- Dark/Ground
Zigzagoon- Ground
Linoone- Ground/Fighting
Slakoth- Dark
Vigoroth- Dark/Fighting
Slaking- Dark/Fighting
Whismur- Fairy
Loudred- Fairy/Dark
Exploud- Fairy/Dark
Skitty- Fairy
Delcatty- Fairy/Steel
Torkoal- Water/Fire
Spoink- Dark/Fairy
Grumpig- Dark/Fairy
Trapinch- Bug
Vibrava- Bug/Dragon
Flygon- Bug/Dragon
Wailord- Water/Flying

Gen 4
Gliscor- Dark/Poison
Ambipom- Fighting/Psychic
Yanmega- Bug/Dragon
Bidoof- Grass
Bibarel- Grass/Dark
Luxray- Electric/Dark
Roserade- Grass/Fairy
Pachirisu- Electric/Fairy
Shellos- Bug
Gastrodon- Bug/Ice
Buneary- Ice
Lopunny- Ice/Fighting
Mismagius- Ghost/Fairy
Buizel- Fire
Floatzel- Fire/Ghost
Electivire- Electric/Fighting
Dusknoir- Ghost/Dark
Magmortar- Fire/Steel

Gen 5
Blitzle- Water
Zebstrika- Water/Ice
Foongus- Steel/Dark
Amoongus- Steel/Dark
Druddigon- Dragon/Grass
Darumaka- Ice
Darmanitan- Ice/Fighting
Cofagrigus- Ghost/Steel
Minccino- Poison
Cinccino- Poison/Fairy
Tympole- Poison
Palpitoad- Poison/Fire
Seismitoad- Poison/Toad
Purrloin- Ghost
Liepard- Ghost/Grass

Gen 6
Bunnelby- Fire
Diggersby- Fire/Dark
Pyroar- Fire/Poison
Florges- Fairy/Grass
Gogoat- Grass/Rock
Inkay- Water/Fairy
Malamar- Water/Fairy
Barbaracle- Rock/Fighting
Clawizter- Water/Fire
Helioptile- Fire/Grass
Heliolisk- Fire/Grass
Hawlucha- Dark/Ground
Goodra- Dragon/Poison
Bergmite- Steel/Dark
Avalugg- Steel/Dark
Noibat- Dark/Dragon
Noivern- Dark/Dragon
Furfrou- Ground

took some thinking but i think these are all good

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Once more, one of the starter leaks did give name and type.
Litten's form 3 being "Tora" and Fire Dark.
None of the relevant leaks have mentioned a typing for it or the other two yet, the two leaks that mention it only refer to its basis (Chinese leak) or that it has another form with different typing/stats/etc. (the July 5th leak). With that said though, the concept art does heavily allude to it since it's stated to fight dirty in the description, so I definitely wouldn't be surprised if it's Fire/Dark rather then Fire/Fighting (though it is another brawler type regardless of that).

Tora I'm very certain is not its actual name though as tora is just plainly means tiger in Japanese IIRC. So that's probably just a placeholder name since I doubt a Tiger Mask inspired Heel cat would be named something so simple, at best it'd be in combination to make a fuller name like with the other Pokémon examples such as Luxray (Rentorar)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I found an image that combines most of the leaks along with what they've got right and wrong.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
I found an image that combines most of the leaks along with what they've got right and wrong.

just want to point out that the "real leaks" leak sort of got the ninetales alola form right because it was sub fairy

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
on the subject of alolan marowack...can i ask why no one has made its skull a tiki mask?
on top of the oft mentioned on fire woodstaff and grass skirt
like can i see someone do that? please

D

Deleted member

Anybody notice Poplio and Litten's final evos aren't exactly... Gender neutral, I guess?

Generally they really don't sway too hard in either direction, and even the Chikorita and Feniken lines don't immediately scream female (until Braixen goes full magical girl anyway). But Tiger Mask and the Siren seem decidedly male and female. Pretty confident these are the final designs but unless there's significant gender differences it's going to be the same awkward situation like when you find a male Gard.
I dunno, looks pretty gender-neutral to me, I can't see what you're talking about

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779

totally gender nuetral

D

Deleted member

Chesnaught says hi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom