• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master

DID YOU SAY YO-KAI WATCH IS STUPID?!

BIIILLLLOOOOOCKED!

jk.

In all serious, just take my advice and try not to over-criticize and compare it to Pokemon, or else you'll drain your experiemce.
I mean, when I think of it compared to Pokemon it definitely seems like lower quality, but even if I'm not comparing it everything either seems over-designed/busy or generic, like the designs seem lazy.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Weren't there also quite a few memes in Pokemon X/Y and Smash 4? (Can't recall if there where any translation differences in Smash 4 though I recall a Weegee joke being dropped around.....) There was apparently also a "One does not simply.... visit the story teller" joke in Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright although I can't recall if that was in the European version too....

I do admit I have been noticing a bit more meme's being dropped around with a couple Nintendo games lately, but it does seem like America gets it a bit more....

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'll agree the anime of Yokai watch looks really stupid

The game looks kind of interesting

But I expect the story to be on par with Fossil Fighters
Not every anime is going to be deep story and action packed. Yo-Kai Watch is a comedy relatable slice of life anime, and it's part of the reason why YW is one of the top children shows in Japan.

I mean, when I think of it compared to Pokemon it definitely seems like lower quality, but even if I'm not comparing it everything either seems over-designed/busy or generic, like the designs seem lazy.
Don't judge a book by its cover.
My advice is that you watch the anime or try the game, then some of the designs will make more sense.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'll let everyone die before I use some Mushroom!
This reminds of munchingorange's most recent blaze black nuzlocke. He doesn't train much and Burgh murdered everyone. if he just raised staravia one more level.... Staraptor could have killed everything. The ironic part is he started this nuzlocke, after he did the volt white version and had it ended by a foongus.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

DID YOU SAY YO-KAI WATCH IS STUPID?!

BIIILLLLOOOOOCKED!

jk.

In all serious, just take my advice and try not to over-criticize and compare it to Pokemon, or else you'll drain your experiemce.
No, THIS is Billlocked

Last edited by a moderator:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Not every anime is going to be deep story and action packed. Yo-Kai Watch is a comedy relatable slice of life anime, and it's part of the reason why YW is one of the top children shows in Japan.
It's not slice-of-life. It's an adventure-comedy. A slice-of-life anime never goes into fantasy territory.

It is Pokémon tier though, not surprisingly.

:231:

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Pokemon anime wasn't as ...spastic as what I saw of Yokai watch

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Yo-kai watch just looks...bland. I mean no offense to anyone who likes it but from what I seen the gameplay is super simple and the anime reminds me a lot of Pokemon from the clips I seen.idk just doesn't fit my style

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Pokemon anime wasn't as ...spastic as what I saw of Yokai watch
pokemon's anime works in a loop its not as "spastic" because its been doing the same things for years
yokai watch's anime will cover what it wants when it wants because thats life **** happens
and you never know whats coming next

the best way to describe yokai watchs anime ive heard is a comedic version of shaman king

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I wouldn't say slice-of-life can't contain fantasy, one of Haruhi Suzumiya's genres is technically slice-of-life.
I don't think Haruhi is slice-of-life either. Slice-of-life usually focuses on mundane everyday stuff, not time travellers, aliens and espers.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
I don't think Haruhi is slice-of-life either. Slice-of-life usually focuses on mundane everyday stuff, not time travellers, aliens and espers.

for every rule there are exceptions
for instnce i dont play shooters, i play splatoon,
i dont play sports games i love mario golf/3-on-3 hoops
ect ect

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I found out Tumblr got some fanartist to nearly kill themself because her 'racist fanart' that had a fat character deemed as 'too thin'. The creators of Steven Universe are apparently disgusted by these fans. Can we just end humanity right now?
So, fat is a race now?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I found out Tumblr got some fanartist to nearly kill themself because her 'racist fanart' that had a fat character deemed as 'too thin'. The creators of Steven Universe are apparently disgusted by these fans. Can we just end humanity right now?
The best is yet to come. One of them called her a liar faking suicidal tendencies for attention, citing her whiteness as proof.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master

There are a lot of episodes that focus on mundane things though, like episodes about festivals, baseball games, vacations, and filming movies, they just happen to have a supernatural twist. If you take away the supernatural aspect, the anime is really just about 4 students dealing with their eccentric classmate.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The best is yet to come. One of them called her a liar faking suicidal tendencies for attention, citing her whiteness as proof.
I saw the first part and found it disgusting but this is a thousand times worse! People sicken me sometimes...

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
And this is why the fandom can't have nice things.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Are we expecting a livefeed (Twitter or otherwise) of what's happening in the investor briefing?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
All this Yokai Watch "fervor" just makes me nostalgic for Pokemon c. 1998-2000.

Unless you were there you just don't know~

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
All this Yokai Watch "fervor" just makes me nostalgic for Pokemon c. 1998-2000.

Unless you were there you just don't know~
Pikachu being on the cover of Smash was literally the reason I bought Smash 64 the day it came out. I was a Pokemon fan before I was a fan of anything else. Playing Smash then exposed to every other franchise in it besides Pokemon.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Pikachu being on the cover of Smash was literally the reason I bought Smash 64 the day it came out. I was a Pokemon fan before I was a fan of anything else. Playing Smash then exposed to every other franchise in it besides Pokemon.
Yeh, I remember Pokemon was such a phenomenon people would describe Smash as "video game characters plus Pokemon" because at that time the brand was just as synonymous with the show and the cards and all the other endless amount of merchandise as it was the games.

Especially since all that stuff touched down at pretty much the same time in the west.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I remember when pokemon first became popular

I was in the 5th grade

I remember people with their Pokemon Pikachu Tomagotchi things

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
My and some friends of ours were talking about future Smash DLC packs.So would you rather have

A)Retro pack
  1. K rool,wolf,Rayman
  2. New Dk stage,rayman stage
  3. mii costumes
or

B)Present pack
  1. Inkling,B dee,Shovel knight
  2. Shovel knight and splatoon stage
  3. mii costumes

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I played Red/Blue all the way back in the day the craze came to this corner of Europe.

I remember its very beginning. Oh yes. *rocks chair*

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
My and some friends of ours were talking about future Smash DLC packs.So would you rather have

A)Retro pack
  1. K rool,wolf,Rayman
  3. mii costumes
or

B)Present pack
  3. mii costumes
Rayman and Wolf as "retro." What are you smoking? Regardless both would be great but Pack A.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

A)Retro pack
  1. K rool,wolf,Rayman
  3. mii costumes
or

B)Present pack
  3. mii costumes
I wouldn't classify Rayman as "retro", sure he's 20 years old, but he's not really a retro character.
Still, I would choose Pack A. A shocker, I know. :p

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I remember reading an article in school about how Pokemon wasn't going to come to the west because an episode caused a bunch of children epilepsy in my science class (Electric Soldier Porygon)

Some time later, we were trading pokemon cards in that very same room

That class required us to have a subscription to some kind of science magazine, which the article was in

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom