• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

I really shouldn't be up this late but I am gonna post this before I sleep

This from the Investors Meeting
View attachment 80299

So by the looks of it Zelda Wii U might still be a Wii U exclusive.

I still see a NX port still happening though and there's no reason Paper Jam can't be released this year

Also, PushDustIn PushDustIn should we expect a Social Thread 3.0 soon?
Pokken Tournament is missing in the Japan section.

Wonder what's up with that.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Why does PushDustIn PushDustIn still make jokes on poor @Swampasaur 's username each time this thread's title changes ? :(

A reference to him being the original creator I guess ?
I haven't changed the title in awhile, I think @Opossum is responsible for the new titles. When I took over the social thread, @Swampasaur asked me to include in all the titles, so that's why I've been doing it. I might start up the title theme up again soon.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why does PushDustIn PushDustIn still make jokes on poor @Swampasaur 's username each time this thread's title changes ? :(

A reference to him being the original creator I guess ?
I'm pretty sure Frostwraith Frostwraith joins in on the fun too. :smirk:

This thread ****posts and memeposts regularly.

Several users complain about one meme in a video game.

Wat.
To be fair, we don't want Nintendo to come down to our level. :p

Going to try Genocide with the name MURDER soon. SO HYPED!
You're the first person I've seen who is hyped for a Genocide run.

you're gonna have a bad time.

:231:

Last edited:

Soul.

Wait, we getting a Direct soon?

Did they talk about the new reward program yet?

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Are Ubisoft high?
Wait... Samus is a girl under that suit?

Wow.

Seriously though, some random AC character will never reach the heights of Samus, Lara Croft, Chell etc.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Are Ubisoft high?
I mean, we are still at a point where a game gets praise just for having a female lead. :/

But I would guess they meant to say one of the first black female leads, because that actually is true.

EDIT: Wait, whoops, I thought they were talking about Liberation. That makes it extra funny, cause she isn't even the first female lead in the Assassins Creed franchise.

Last edited:

Chrono.

I mean, we are still at a point where a game gets praise just for having a female lead. :/

But I would guess they meant to say one of the first black female leads, because that actually is true.

EDIT: Wait, whoops, I thought they were talking about Liberation. That makes it extra funny, cause she isn't even the first female lead in the Assassins Creed franchise.
I was about to say that lol

Not to mention Ubisoft are also behind Beyond Good & Evil...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, I certainly can't argue with that:

Having Akuma having his alternate costume in 4 as his default design would be sooo cool imo XD: P
I hope all returning characters from here-on out have a different design, even if it's minor stuff like Cammy's harness or Mika's costume redesign. Ryu, Chun-li and Zangief are the iconic main, female and grappler characters so it makes sense they return with no changes. Also, how could they not have Balrog return when they got all that sweet fight money?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just hope unlocking characters via fight money grinding doesn't take an eternity.
It will for me no matter how well they balance it. I suck at arcade cabinet, 6 button fighters.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Are Ubisoft high?
Let's ignore that female leads have existed since the 80's with the advent of Metroid, too. Ubisoft really has a problem with this kind of stuff, such as misuse of the word iconic. Adrian Pearce doesn't have an iconic cap.

How many bets that Jim Sterling will address this eventually?

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
News that news is coming? Well at least we have the Bi-Monthly **** Fest as a good indicator that it's probably going to be before the end of next month.

At least there will be checkpoints for Mario Maker coming. I know a couple stages of mine that could really use them, and they should make 100 Mario on Hard Mode a bit more bearable.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I feel like the ND will come around early to mid November.
I'm thinking mid-to late November as they already announced the Mario Maker update. So we know it won't come until at least the 5th.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Nintendo Direct? My guesses are
  • Bravely Second
  • Metroid Prime Federation Force
  • Mario and Luigi Paper Jam
  • Wolf trailer for Smash Bros
  • FE Fates

Come to think of it, how many black lead characters are there in video games at this point?

Are Ubisoft high?
Umm, Samus?

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
So were getting a direct sometime this year? Cool still think were more likely to see some smash news before one actually drops

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Not too surprised about the Nintendo Direct format change.

Without Iwata, they'll have to find their own way of doing things. There always comes the time when it's needed to move forward.

Regardless, it's good news that Nintendo Directs will continue. I'll be looking forward to the upcoming ones.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
When comparing Clu Clu Land to Metroid from a female lead perspective, the latter is still the more notable one because the lead was a) human and b) set off an entire trend because of how it handled the reveal.

Likely nobody cared about the blob in comparison.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I remember reading that Samus was actually the 2nd playable female character, but the first one was a nobody
Not a nobody, and she beat Samus out by 5 years.

1986-87, saw a few notable female protagonists.

We've had a few since then, too, such as:

and of course:

...just to name a few.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
See, this is why Patreon exists. Youtube is unreliable as a sole source of income as it is, but now its gonna get turned up by eleven.
Ugh no, Youtube Red is going to go a long way towards helping that, youtubers are going to be making significantly more income with Youtube Red, not less (especially during **** ad revenue months like January, where a single initial month of less revenue will be more than made up for). The whole reason Youtube is implementing it in the first place is how much more money it'll bring in than sole ad revenue, as explained in these two prior posts:

Of course people are going to kneejerk to this and not think longterm. Yeah that initial month is going to suck, but the "initial month for free" thing works really well for getting people locked in, hence why every subscription service like Netflix and Amazon Prime offer free initial month trials.

And the value of a Red subscriber is going to be worth immensely more than ad revenue will be, especially down the line. Say you got 100 views from Red subscribers and 100 views from ad-viewers; the latter 100 views will only net you around 1 to 25 cents in ad revenue, maybe up to around a dollar if you're particularly lucky and it's not a ****ty ad month. With those Red subscribers though, say you average 5 cents from each of them, that's five dollars, tremendously more than what you got from the ad revenue. Even if they each only give you a penny, that dollar it adds up to is still far more than you'll get from ad revenue 99% of the time.

People need to think longterm, Youtube Red offers significantly more revenue down the line, and youtubers will be better appreciative of it when ad revenue continues to decline and especially during the ****ty ad revenue months (every January for example, has about one fourth of the typical ad revenue you would get).
Just to put this in perspective, this article suggests that a YouTuber currently gets ~$10,000 / month per million subscribers, or about 1 cent per month per subscriber. (This was just the first article I saw, but presumably it can't be that terribly far off.) By comparison, after the first month, any person with a Red account will be earning that much for any YouTube partner that comprises at least 1/550 = 0.2% of their watch time, or one minute per week for every hour watched per day (i.e. easily everyone they're subscribed to, likely a ton more for the ones with longer videos).

Sounds like an improvement to me. Ad revenue is a horrible way to have to make money for a third party.
As long as Youtube Red is a decent success, youtubers are going to be making more money, with significantly more potential, and with income that is going to be a lot more consistent (must I state again how utterly horrible January is with ad revenue?).

-

Though, one thing I am wondering about is the features it has. Less from a producer's standpoint, and more the consumer's. All I know is no ads and I believe something with the Youtube Music thing.
From the Youtube site, with the flak cut down to make it more understandable:

*No ads
*You can save videos to watch offline on your phone or tablet and play videos in the background.
*Your membership extends across devices and anywhere you sign into YouTube, including the recently launched Gaming app and their YouTube Music app.
*YouTube Red works with Google Play Music, so subscribe to one and automatically get access to the other.
*Starting early next year, YouTube Red subscribers will get member-only access to "new, original shows and movies" from some of YouTube’s biggest creators. More information on this is here

I personally would like to see a bit more to make it more valuable to consumers, especially as the "new original shows" don't interest me the least bit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom