• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Mine actually still work but they broke so I can't wear them anymore. They're broken in a way that can't be simply fixed.

IMO it's far more frustrating than them stop working as it happened with my previous earbuds.

Last edited:

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
I am of the opinion that memes shouldnt be in games unless they are specific to that franchise since chances are, its going to be outdated by the time the game comes out. You also shouldnt try to create memes, let them bloom naturally through awkward writing instead.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Mine actually still work but they broke so I can't wear them anymore. They're broken in a way that can't be simply fixed.

IMO it's far more frustrating than them stop working as it happened with my previous earbuds.
Everything can be fixed with a little duct tape. I used to have a pair that was more tape than headphone by the end of it.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Now I'm curious about Bravely Second's translation as I heard there were complaints from Japanese fans about the script being filled with Japanese memes.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Everything can be fixed with a little duct tape. I used to have a pair that was more tape than headphone by the end of it.
Thing is, if I use tape in their current state, they will be too small for my head and be uncomfortable. What broke was the plastic that was inside that could be adjusted to fit the head's size. The broken part is inside and can't be pulled anymore to fit my head.

I did consider using duct tape, but gave up on the idea after realizing how the end result would be.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Now I'm curious about Bravely Second's translation as I heard there were complaints from Japanese fans about the script being filled with Japanese memes.
I wonder if they'll directly translate the memes, replace them with different references or *ulp* replace them with english memes

I wonder how MArio Maker is gonna keep updating if they need to shake things to get more objects

Chrono.

Zelda
I wonder if they'll directly translate the memes, replace them with different references or *ulp* replace them with english memes

I wonder how MArio Maker is gonna keep updating if they need to shake things to get more objects
Upgrading enemies or objects using the Fire Flower would be cool.

Soul.

Personally I don't think memes should be in games, maybe keep them as an easter egg, but when you're playing a game and it has memes it's just... I dunno, weird.

Anyone remember what happened to Meme Run? I did hear it was removed from the eShop after a while but was there any statement?

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Wasn't the angry sun found in the game data's not that long ago?Wouldn't it be cool if they just sneak that in there with the other stuff

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Personally I don't think memes should be in games, maybe keep them as an easter egg, but when you're playing a game and it has memes it's just... I dunno, weird.

Anyone remember what happened to Meme Run? I did hear it was removed from the eShop after a while but was there any statement?
It broke copyright law as the owner of the trollface wasn't happy they were making money with his creaton, which is fair use otherwise

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Thing is, if I use tape in their current state, they will be too small for my head and be uncomfortable. What broke was the plastic that was inside that could be adjusted to fit the head's size. The broken part is inside and can't be pulled anymore to fit my head.

I did consider using duct tape, but gave up on the idea after realizing how the end result would be.
If it can't be fixed with duct tape, then you're not using enough duct tape.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

I don't know. I mean, I can see why memes are put in games. It's no different to when people sneak in references to popular works.

But I also go under the idea that all memes (like any joke) will die. And once the meme becomes dated, which is often very quick, it looks shoehorned. And at least with Twitter posts or pictures it's mostly a one and done kind of deal. But with video games you want to stand alone. This is something you want to stick with the audience. I don't know about making it 100% timeless with little thought of the times (as it will always be in there somehow), but if a joke gets dated, it gets dated. And what would be a laugh is more "oh hey this was funny a few years ago".

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Takamaru should have blue hair.:p
Nah. That whole misinterpretation can be chocked up to sprite limitations and a boxart that tinted everything blue (making his vest purple in the process). It's brown in the official art, it's brown in my art.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
There were some leftovers found along with some costumes.

I heard the last update removed all the unused stuff though.
Well... that's technically impossible since I thought the data was found on the disc. Or am I missing something?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
This one is kind of classic, but people still know about it today (my friends reference it even and they aren't that into the Internet).
Rough translation:

Today Mcdonald's will take over the planet. Hail Mcdoonalds!

Chrono.

Well... that's technically impossible since I thought the data was found on the disc. Or am I missing something?
Some of the sounds for the unused costumes were apparently removed in an update, at least according to Beta 64's SMM video.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
To be fair, he's also been depicted with blue hair in the official game manual for the Mysterious Murasame Castle game
Which is just a long tradition in pre-digital printed art. Blue represents black, because black is too dark to 'pop'.

Batman and Robin had 'blue' hair.

(In fact, while there's some debate about it, some comic historians believe Batman's blue cowl was always intended to be black, too)

Superman had 'blue' hair.

Even Mario originally had blue hair.

I've had this debate before, and ultimately, I decided to go with the original intent. I don't draw Link with pink hair, either.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I don't mind memes in games as long as it doesn't take away the quality of the game.

I believe we all remember this game cancer (thank goodness the creator of the :troll: face forced the game to be removed).

D

Deleted member

Oh wow, what is this?
Could it be?
1445984199125-2042995073.jpg

About to face the Electric Gym
I need a well thought strategy for this!
1445984343864516199246.jpg

*mashes A button*

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I don't mind memes in games as long as it doesn't take away the quality of the game.

I believe we all remember this game cancer (thank goodness the creator of the :troll: face forced the game to be removed).

I forgot this game existed...
Why did Nintendo allow this to go on the e-Shop?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ohhhh I thought of a fun prompt for discussion. It's also a neat bonding exercise we can learn about each other from.

Here's the prompt: one day, you're going about your business, and you receive a letter. But it's not just any letter, no...it's marked with the Super Smash Bros. symbol! That's right, you're gonna be representing your "home series" of sorts in Smash! But...there's one issue: you need to select the songs for your home stage.

Basically, choose six songs for your home stage. Any songs at all, so long as there's six, and they're songs that are meaningful to your life in some way. Then, explain why you chose those songs.

1. I mean, I go there. Alma mater and all. Plus we have the best songs. :p
2. Hunchback is my absolute favorite movie of all time.
3. Newsies is my favorite Broadway musical, and I love musicals. Plus, the whole journalist thing makes it fitting.
4. Story time! In my final concert choir performance, we sang this as per tradition. I was one of the five seniors who got a solo. :D Also finding a good quality instrumental version was tough, but it gets the point across. Reminds me of home, and instrumentally is essentially my Eight Melodies or Smiles and Tears. :p
5. Best Christmas song. I love Christmas music. Plus, I've sung it in choir countless times. That bass line, man. BUM. BUM. BUM. BUM.
6. Sang this one as well, if you can believe it. :D Had the single best Bass II line of any piece I've sung. So low, man. Also amazing to fight to, I'd imagine. Empowering.

Any takers for the challenge? :D

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
They can't set something up to immediately recognize someone drawing a penis on a Mii's face.
It's funny but they probably could, though technically not "immediately". They actually have a penis image detecting algorithm for miiverse lol

I can see them making a few textures from a mii render at different angles and then running them through a similar algorithm, but that's more work they probably dont want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom