• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
This actually gives me an idea for a topic
What is the hardest boss you ever faced in a videogame?
No superbosses or final bosses because those are SUPPOSED to be hard
Possesed Zack in Terra's story in Birth by Sleep.
With a cheap-arse teleporting move combined with Terra's weak dodging skills, you'll be screaming "how can this be!?"
It's even worse when fighting him alongside Hades in the Mirage Arena.

----

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Death in the original Castlevania, especially without subweapons. With final bosses counted then it's easily Mike Tyson.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There's People who say Smash was "Never competitive" and blame other people for Making Smash competitive despite other people not giving a heck whenever it was meant to or not. Why do people blame others for making a game competitive I have no idea.
Because Sakurai never intended for Smash to be competitive. Even though the thought 'competitive=bad' is absolutely terrible, I can see where people get this. The community made it competitive in the first place, not Sakurai. Hell, the fact specials don't have input commands outside of Ryu shows Smash was always about simplicity

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So... this may come as a shock to some, but I've never played a Zelda game at all in my life. Why am I bringing this up now?
Well, it's because I don't know where to start with the franchise. I'm trying to find ways of getting into it, but can't really find where to begin.

So, what game do you guys recommend I start out with?

I've been meaning to get into the series for the longest time, but haven't really thought about it truly until now.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Oh, Smash mains and stuff?

Mains:
:4yoshi::4rob:

Seconds:
:4sheik::4falco::4myfriends:

Thirds:
:4link::4kirby::4pikachu:

In Training:
:4mewtwo::4feroy::4marth::4fox:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
So... this may come as a shock to some, but I've never played a Zelda game at all in my life. Why am I bringing this up now?
Well, it's because I don't know where to start with the franchise. I'm trying to find ways of getting into it, but can't really find where to begin.

I've been meaning to get into the series for the longest time, but haven't really thought about it truly until now.
For 2D Zeldas, definitely Link to the Past. For 3D Zeldas, you could really go with any one.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

A Link to the Past is a fantastic game, but I would not recommend it as your first. It's not the most difficult SNES game out there, but it can be annoying in places, and some of the dungeons, particularly in the later half, can be quite obtuse (I'm thinking specifically Dark World Dungeon 5, for those who've played it). With any game as old as it is, it has a few quirks modern gamers probably won't appreciate.

But Ocarina of Time is a different story. It's had such an effect on modern gaming that going back to it feels like going home, even if you've never played it before. Everything is natural, it's combat fluid, it's puzzles well designed (and yes, that includes the Water Temple. It's "legendary" difficultly is blown way out of proportion), and graphics aside, it feels like you could release it today and it would still be better than most everything on the market. Which they did.

It's not even my favorite game in the series, let alone my favorite 3D one, but for someone new to the franchise, Ocarina of Time is really the *only* option I'd ever consider.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
For 2D Zeldas, definitely Link to the Past. For 3D Zeldas, you could really go with any one.
A Link to the Past will probably be the second one I go with. I hear non-stop praise about that game all the time, so it's really hard to not play the game :p.

A Link to the Past is a fantastic game, but I would not recommend it as your first. It's not the most difficult SNES game out there, but it can be annoying in places, and some of the dungeons, particularly in the later half, can be quite obtuse (I'm thinking specifically Dungeon 5, for those who've played it). With any game as old as it is, it has a few quirks modern gamers probably won't appreciate.

But Ocarina of Time is a different story. It's had such an effect on modern gaming that going back to it feels like going home, even if you've never played it before. Everything is natural, it's combat fluid, it's puzzles well designed (and yes, that includes the Water Temple. It's "legendary" difficultly is blown way out of proportion), and graphics aside, it feels like you could release it today and it would still be better than most everything on the market. Which they did.

It's not even my favorite game in the series, let alone my favorite 3D one, but for someone new to the franchise, Ocarina of Time is really the *only* option I'd ever consider.
Thank you for the advice. I actually do have a physical copy of Ocarina of Time for the Gamecube already, so it'd probably be the easiest one I can play right now XD.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker are the best ones to start out on the 3D games.

For 2D, you want to go with Minish Cap.

:231:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I like Ganon's model, goofy expressions and all.

It makes him fit in with both the realistic Zelda characters, but also with Toon Link. Not to mention Smash is, at its heart, a very goofy game to begin with.
Yeah, I can agree with that line of thought to an extent.

Smash is a goofy game, hence why I am not that upset with Ganondorf's expressions in Smash 4 (though I still think it's a downgrade from Brawl in that regard). Certain camera angles show the model does have some flaws from a design standpoint: the eyebrows and the ornament in his forehead not being properly attached to the actual face is a glaring issue.

All in all, it's not something to be really upset with. After all, this stuff isn't too noticeable during normal gameplay, so it's not a huge issue.

In regards to the current topic: Wind Waker is best Zelda, followed by Ocarina of Time. (Totally not biased, as those were the first two Zelda games I played. :p)

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
You know? I'm going to have to write a list down on which games I need to desperately play as there's a lot I've missed :p.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Ocarina of time and Windwaker are the two to start with imo. Majora's Mask is my favorite, but I'd only recommend it if you enjoy OOT or if you like the atmosphere.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
In my group you can make any thread for a character not already active. I only ask you don't make one for Paper Mario as Aldero pretty much has dibs.

Every other character thread is closing lol

Would main Sans so hard.
I'll just help Alde. I'm his right-hand Paper Mario man after all.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I've got like a million examples of "hardest bosses ever" and they're all from the Souls series.
So I'll just organize some of them by measure of bull****.

Not Bull****: Manus (Dark Souls)

Manus is the final boss of the Artorias of the Abyss DLC in Dark Souls - he's extremely aggressive and has a huge health bar, and even uses dark magic. Despite that, I find Manus to be one of the most fun bosses in the game...mainly because he's very fair. He telegraphs all his moves, and there's a way to avoid everything he does.
It's really a battle of attrition, but one that has no element of luck to it, so I rank Manus as the hardest fair boss in any game I've ever played.

Sorta Bull****: Ornstein and Smough (Dark Souls)

This is a hard, but doable fight where you're pitted against two bosses at once, the swift Ornstein, and the slow and powerful Smough. It's easier for certain builds, like a pyromancer, but if you're a melee build you have to get in close, wait for both to whiff attacks, and attack one or two times before going back on the defensive.

When you kill one, the other powers up, turns giant and fights you again, with double the health bar. Super Smough has great range and incredible power, but leaves himself open, while Super Ornstein has great range and incredible power...while moving extremely fast, and doesn't leave himself open, while also being very hard to consistently hit.
...unless you want his loot, never fight Super Orns.

On it's surface, it's supposed to be the ultimate spike in difficulty in Dark Souls, and it is...but not always for the right reasons. Ornstein has some strange quirks, especially in his powered up form, and the camera in this fight is incredibly annoying, for example, you might be backing away from the duo with your shield up, when your lock-on breaks, you turn your back to them, and get killed from behind.

Not to mention the camera has a hard time keeping up with Super Ornstein, which compounds the difficulty of that part of the fight even more.

Overall, this is probably one of the most difficult bosses in Dark Souls, even as someone who's beat the game around 8 times, but I feel it's not always my fault when I lose to them.

Bull****: Every Boss (Dark Souls 2)

Where do I begin? The bosses in Dark Souls 2 are almost universally broken or bull**** in some way. Whether it's Ruin Sentinels, Royal Rat Authority/Vanguard, Prowling Magus and Congregation, or Belfry Gargoyles, which arbitrarily inflate the difficulty by throwing a million enemies at the player (a recurring issue in Dark Souls 2).

Then there's the single-target bosses that are basically damage sponges, all of them being able to magically track the player with their constant three-hit combos (another recurring issue in Dark Souls 2).

All of this would be fine, if said bosses didn't have massive hitboxes on their attacks that don't match the animations at all (yet another recurring issue in Dark Souls 2).

Dark Souls 2 has very hard bosses pretty much all the time, but never ever does it feel fair.

/rant

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I actually have another quick question for you guys. Which Gamecube titles would any of you recommend? I don't really know where to begin in searching for some :p.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Hm.
I mean, my opinion is sort of mixed on OoT. Do I think it's a great game? Absolutely. Do I think it's the best Zelda game?...
Yes, the effect it's had on modern gaming is massive, and I'm not saying that you're outright praising the heck out of it, and if you are, I'm not trying to diss that. But it's not exactly my favorite. And shoot me with an arrow for saying this, but I think it's overrated. Maybe because it's not the first Zelda game I played, or the one I played as a young kid and have all the nostalgia crowding me.

Want a chance to shoot me again? My favorite 3D Zelda games are SS, TP, WW, MM, and then OoT.
(Oh boy, I'm really digging myself a grave here, aren't I?)

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
History will tend to repeat itself when It comes to people saying to a Game (Which is not even released yet) as "Terrible at Launch" when they either look at it, or play a Beta (Which is not final).
Ex.: Smash 4, SFIV, SFV

I actually have another quick question for you guys. Which Gamecube titles would any of you recommend? I don't really know where to begin in searching for some :p.
If you dont already own metroid Prime I feel bad for you.
Pikmin 1+2 are both great but from what i've heard the wii version is better
Luigis mansion, Paper Mario thousand year door, Star fox assualt, and Viewtiful Joe are all pretty fantastic as well

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Every GameCube game ever.
*Desperately tries to find a terrible Gamecube game*

Seriously though, I'd recommend: Luigi's Mansion, Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario: TTYD and Windwaker unless you'd rather get the HD version.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
If you dont already own metroid Prime I feel bad for you.
Pikmin 1+2 are both great but from what i've heard the wii version is better
Luigis mansion, Paper Mario thousand year door, Star fox assualt, and Viewtiful Joe are all pretty fantastic as well
I unfortunately don't own any of them whatsoever. *runs away and hides*

EDIT: But I'll most likely look for them when I have the money.

Last edited:

Chrono.

http://oddshot.tv/shot/vgbootcamp-20151025201930508
http://oddshot.tv/shot/vgbootcamp-20151025201946905
#NairoExposed
Nameless Anomaly from Tales of Xillia comes to mind for a couple of reasons
  • The thing is huge and always flying, and none of the characters you have at that point have any decent aerials.
  • Most if not all of it's attacks hit your entire party constantly
  • It loves to spam status effects on you
  • It's weak to Earth Artes but they're all nearly useless thanks to it staying airborne most of the time
  • A crapton of HP
Tales games in general usually have one weird boss in the middle of the game that's designed with no other intention than to screw you over.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
epicmartin7 epicmartin7
- Super Smash Bros. Melee
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Luigi's Mansion
- Mario Kart: Double Dash
- Pokemon Colosseum
- F-Zero GX
- Eternal Darkness

I recommend all these games, as not only are some of them the greatest games ever, but they also don't have releases anywhere else.
In terms of games that originated on the GameCube but have better versions elsewhere, I strongly recommend:

- Resident Evil Remastered (PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Resident Evil 4 HD (PS3, Xbox 360, PC)
- The Wind Waker HD (Wii U)
- Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii + Wii U)
- Tales of Symphonia HD Collection (PS3)

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Does anyone remember there was a Robot in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog in a Robot crowd where it looked like a Robot master with a scarf, and a rifle?

Last edited:

Chrono.

epicmartin7 epicmartin7
  • Eternal Darkness
  • Custom Robo
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Killer 7*
  • Skies of Arcadia Legends
  • Wario World
  • Wind Waker
  • F-Zero GX
  • Super Monkey Ball 2
  • Whatever eeverybody else said
*=It's on ps2 as well

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
epicmartin7 epicmartin7
- Super Smash Bros. Melee
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Luigi's Mansion
- Mario Kart: Double Dash
- Pokemon Colosseum

I recommend all these games, as not only are some of them the greatest games ever, but they also don't have releases anywhere else.
In terms of games that originated on the GameCube but have better versions elsewhere, I strongly recommend:

- Resident Evil Remastered (PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Resident Evil 4 HD (PS3, Xbox 360, PC)
- The Wind Waker HD (Wii U)
- Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii + Wii U)
Thank you! It should really narrow down what I'm looking for. The games I have so far for Gamecube are:

-Super Smash Bros. Melee
-Mario Kart: Double Dash
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest
-Sonic Gems Collection
-Sonic Mega Collection
-Lego Star Wars: The Video Game
-Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy

I'll be honest. I used to have Super Mario Sunshine, but it got too hard to me and I raged quit. So I eventually got rid of it. I was a little kid at the time though. So since then, I've kind of wanted it back.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I need to buy a External Hard Drive for my Wii U.

But at the same time I'm scared of getting one then NX comes out next year.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I also got one more quick question and I'll be done. Do any of you recommend me purchasing the Wii U Gamecube Controller Adapter at all? I'm going to play all these games on my Wii U via Nintendont (I feel GC games look better via HDMI), but do you think I need a Gamecube Controller for a sort of authentic feel or just go with the Wii U Pro Controller instead?

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
GameCube, eh?

- Kirby Air Ride
- Kirby Air Ride
- Kirby Air Ride

Also, TTYD and Double Dash!! are still the best of their respective series, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom