• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
On the topic of the Star Wars prequels, looking at all the behind the scenes stuff I think I know exactly what went wrong. George Lucas had too much power. There was no-one to provide feedback or veto bad writing.
In this post vaanrose nerds about Star Wars

Lucas is a bad writer, and the thing is, he knows it. That's why Lawrence Kasdan wrote Empire, Jedi and the Indiana Jones movies. Even A New Hope, which has Lucas credited as the sole writer, only became as good as it is because Lucas was friends with some very creative people (Francis Ford Coppola, Steven Spielberg, his ex-wife Marcia) who helped him cultivate a very weird idea into something grounded and accessible.

But Lucas was the creator. For 20 years, people praised him as a creative genius. I'm not even sure Lucas got an ego (he always comes across as very meek and humble for a guy in his position, which is why I have such a hard time hating him like so many other Star Wars fans) so much as the people around Lucas did. When you watch the prequel behind the scenes stuff, everyone seems terrified of stepping on his toes. He'll make a dumb joke, and they all force a laugh at him. He'll mutter something incomprehensible, and they'll all nod in agreement. They refused to ever critique him, because he created Star Wars, obviously he knows what he's talking about.

So it was never a case of no one being there to veto him, as it was no one was ever willing to say anything.

To Lucas's credit, I think he did try to listen to feedback. He did pare down Jar Jar's role in episode II and III, for example, and while Ep II is far and away my least favorite, I think from a scripting perspective, it's better written than Episode I. The problem was he's so bad at writing, and he's so aware of it, that he hates doing it. Episode II filmed with the second draft of the screenplay. Episode III filmed with the first. There's actually footage on the DVD of Lucas walking into a room filled with concept art and proudly showing off the newly printed just finished script for the movie. They were well into production before he had even finished writing!

Lawrence Kasdan is back writing the new movies, so I'm hoping they're a return to form. My only concern is he hasn't written a script since the 80s.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I wouldn't be surprised if she was telling the truth and they're bluffing to save their own skin. In fact, I choose to believe her. Inklings is (are?) the character that all of these people are talking about privately. This isn't just a fan assumption. All of these people, including, I believe, Stealth, are saying Inklings is the next character.
That's one way of seeing things.

Honestly, I just can't trust the rumor quite much. I'm usually quite skeptical of this stuff. The only times I trusted this kind of things was last year (the ESRB leak) and earlier this year (the data mining that unveiled Roy and Ryu).

Regardless of whether she is telling the truth or not, I think it can be agreed that she didn't deserve the harassment. On the other hand, considering how rabid the Smash fanboys can be, I believe it is imprudent to be vague and unprepared for the ****storm that these rumors tend to cause.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Tiny can shrink through the use of Crystal Coconuts. I'd find it difficult to balance and rationally explain, especially with Diddy not getting unlimited flight with his rocket barrels.

imo, they should bring back either Candy or Swanky to run the shop, then add in an option to swap out/have DK himself be interchangeable with other similarly burly Kongs (namely Funky, Kiddy/Chunky, and as a "joke" character, DK Jr.)
Thing is the Mario universe has always been inconsistent when it comes to the characters powers, so Tiny suddenly being able to shrink whenever possible shouldn't be to surprising.

Also I did say we could also have a DK64 sequel as well to accommodate all the Kongs and make them all have unique abilities.

Starlight_Lily Starlight_Lily I like this. DK, Funky, Kiddy and Chunky as the 'body', with unique stats and charge moves, and Diddy, Dixie, Cranky and Lanky as the 'backpack'. 12 different playable options.

I guess you can have Tiny too but I can't see how shrinking is advantageous. IsnaR raises a good point with the Crystal Coconuts too.

Seriously though, bring back Swanky's quizzes, Candy's shop and Wrinkley's tips (ramblings).
Shrinking does actually add some new interesting gameplay dynamics, shrinking couuld be used to avoid projectiles, and just look at the mini-mushroom to see can be achieved with shrinking with level design. Althouugh with Tiny's current design you could make her the 'body' Kong as it were, since it is pretty tall. And it would be more focused on speed then power.

Also, we need more animal buddies then just Rambi to return.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
This isn't just a fan assumption. All of these people, including, I believe, Stealth, are saying Inklings is the next character.
So did someone spill it? Or did you find out some other way?

Not that there's much doubt either way.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I just looked over the past couple pages of the thread. The Star Wars discussion seemed nice, but the **** happened!?!
Was is me screencapping her comment that caused her to leave at all? I'm honestly starting to feel bad now...

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Wee-woo-wee-woo-wee-woo
*Unpopular Opinion enters the field!*

I honestly think people are way too hard on the Star Wars prequels, to the point where a lot of people just hate them because it's the "cool" thing to do. I'm not a big Star Wars fan by any means but I don't really consider the prequels, particularly Phantom Menace to be significantly weaker than the original Trilogy. My least favorite things about the PT was the shift from muppets to CGI. But in a sense it was understandable as a muppet Yoda lightsaber fight would be almost impossible to do without turning it into a joke. I'm not saying that everyone who hates the films does so because of bandwagoning, but A LOT of it is blind hatred.

Most of the problems that persist in the PT are present in the OT in my opinion. It's part of the charm of the movies. Lucas' intent with the PT was to introduce Star Wars to the next generation, and I think he succeeded with that.

If I was personally to rank the films, I'd rank them 1>6=4>>>5>2>>3. (While Empire's second half is good, I don't enjoy much of the first half).

Tama

Smash Apprentice
So did someone spill it? Or did you find out some other way?

Not that there's much doubt either way.
I found out. It's an open secret at this point. That's what these people are saying. They won't come out and say it on the record though because none of them are 100% sure about the rumour; even though they have been bragging like it's a sure thing.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I MISSED THE DAMN STAR WARS TALK

But speaking of such, my college has this event coming up this Saturday that requires everyone to dress up as a Star Wars character.

I still don't have mine decided.

Sad face.

Chrono.

I found out. It's an open secret at this point. That's what these people are saying. They won't come out and say it on the record though because none of them are 100% sure about the rumour; even though they have been bragging like it's a sure thing.
That's... A little irresponsible on their part.

Not that it matters at this point since the deadline is rather soon.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
No one knows? :/ Aw. Oh well.

So, Inklings are pretty much 'confirmed' to be upcoming DLC characters, then? From what I am gathering?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It sucks that Smash fans react the way they do, but at this point you can't NOT know what you're getting yourself into when you claim to know information that others don't. I've said it once and I'll say it again, even if every single person on Smashboards somehow made a vow to not harass people like that, we're still only a fraction of the entire community. It is, sadly, the nature of this fanbase that we're going to be stuck with.
Regardless, I'm glad we didn't COMPLETELY drive Nikki away, even if she was being kind of a donkey butt about the whole thing anyway.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
It sucks that Smash fans react the way they do, but at this point you can't NOT know what you're getting yourself into when you claim to know information that others don't. I've said it once and I'll say it again, even if every single person on Smashboards somehow made a vow to not harass people like that, we're still only a fraction of the entire community. It is, sadly, the nature of this fanbase that we're going to be stuck with.
Regardless, I'm glad we didn't COMPLETELY drive Nikki away, even if she was being kind of a donkey butt about the whole thing anyway.
How about you actually show how the Smash fanbase harassed her before laying the blame on them again? According to Akxareth no one even attacked her on Twitter. She deleted her twitter cause she got caught lying.

Yeah, she didn't just "claim to know information that other don't". She straight up lied that Sean Hicks told her it was Inklings, after which Sean said he'd never even talked with her about anything Smash related. I'm getting tired of people defending these frauds.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
That's... A little irresponsible on their part.

Not that it matters at this point since the deadline is rather soon.
I'd consider it FAR more irresponsible for someone to become privy to information and blurt it out without any regard for who it might affect.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Then they shouldn't have said anything in the first place anyways...

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
How about you actually show how the Smash fanbase harassed her before laying the blame on them again? According to Akxareth no one even attacked her on Twitter. She deleted her twitter cause she got caught lying.

Yeah, she didn't just "claim to know information that other don't". She straight up lied that Sean Hicks told her it was Inklings, after which Sean said he'd never even talked with her about anything Smash related. I'm getting tired of people defending these frauds.
I'm not defending anyone. In case you missed my post from just last night:

Why the **** are we still acknowledging Nikki?

I mean COME ON, we've already established that she's spotting bull****, what, 4 times now? She is a Data Miner, not a leaker, she has lied multiple times, and she's an all around prick. I'm sorry for the language bit I am SO, SO sick of hearing about her. Can we focus on the actual RELEVANT people, please and thank you?
It still doesn't change the fact that Smash fans react more poorly to things like this than any other fanbase I know of.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I don't believe this rumor because of Inklings, and I don't believe the Shovel Knight rumor because of Shovel Knight.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
No mention of Shovel Knight is intrigueing.

Kinda makes me think this is just piggybacking from the rumors floating around atm.
I think SK at this point and time is kinda losing steam. It's been almost a month and a half since we heard it and it's just been the amiibo which just leads to third party companies getting possible amiibos of their own.

And no, YCG Twitter account isn't a reliable source no matter how funny it is. Because I said it once, I'll say it again:

If they flat out said it's not happening, people will deny it saying they are lying

If they were quiet then people will believe it's real because we haven't heard a statement about them yet.

But all they are doing is teasing fans, joking around and showing that if it was legit, they are dancing around a dangerous thing known as NDA which Nintendo would had shut them up quickly if it had went on like it did

And let's be honest all leaks are gonna bandwagon a character.

At the beginning of the Smash Ballot, it was Banjo & Kazooie, then Wolf, then people tried to cash in on Roy & Ryu info, then it was Wolf, then it was Shantae and Shovel Knight at the same time, then King K. Rool then Shovel Knight again and now it's Inklings.

See how there's a pattern?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think SK at this point and time is kinda losing steam. It's been almost a month and a half since we heard it and it's just been the amiibo which just leads to third party companies getting possible amiibos of their own.

And no, YCG Twitter account isn't a reliable source no matter how funny it is. Because I said it once, I'll say it again:

If they flat out said it's not happening, people will deny it saying they are lying

If they were quiet then people will believe it's real because we haven't heard a statement about them yet.

But all they are doing is teasing fans, joking around and showing that if it was legit, they are dancing around a dangerous thing known as NDA which Nintendo would had shut them up quickly if it had went on like it did

And let's be honest all leaks are gonna bandwagon a character.

At the beginning of the Smash Ballot, it was Banjo & Kazooie, then Wolf, then people tried to cash in on Roy & Ryu info, then it was Wolf, then it was Shantae and Shovel Knight at the same time, then King K. Rool then Shovel Knight again and now it's Inklings.

See how there's a pattern?
I know alot of people are gonna hate me for saying this, but King K. Rool is the most overrated character and most of his support is purely bandwagon.

Tom13

Smash Apprentice
I can't get on to 4chan to see this, even though I don't believe in it, as I'm currently on a school computer right now. Anyone care to show me what they're looking at from 4chan of this "Nintendo Direc tLeak"?

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I can't get on to 4chan to see this, even though I don't believe in it, as I'm currently on a school computer right now. Anyone care to show me what they're looking at from 4chan of this "Nintendo Direc tLeak"?
from leaker said:
Here's all the new announcements coming in the upcoming Nintendo direct. They are currently debating whether to have it on. 23 Oct, which would clash with their financial earnings announcement, or 22/24 Oct.

1- 3ds news
2- triforce heroes trailer
3- skull kid in hyrule warriors legends trailer
4- Mario and Luigi paper jam trailer. US release window announced around to be around the same time as Europe (December 2015). We see more interactions between the paper characters and their 'real' counterparts
5- pikmin 3ds (aka pikmin 4)
6- chibi robo zip lash dlc costumes
7- Dragon quest 11 3ds trailer showing Nintendo exclusive costumes and gameplay
8- rhythm heaven the best plus localised -- coming to USA "soon" as rhythm heaven remix
9- Wii U news
10- Star Fox Zero new trailer showing new worlds and levels, as well as the star wolf team
11- genei ibunroku #fe new trailer (already on Nintendo of Japan's YouTube channel)
12- smash bros announcements: playable inklings dlc trailer, along with splatoon stage. Sakurai promises updates on smash ballot "soon" while thanking fans for their input
13- twilight princess hd trailer
14- skyward sword coming to eshop as Wii title
15- Namco Bandai's project treasure update
16- Mario tennis ultra smash donkey Kong, daisy, wario, waluigi, rosalina trailer
17- Mario kart 8 dlc pack 3: work began only after they saw the success of packs 1 and 2. Traditional Battle mode and Mission mode return. Coming December this year

18- Mobile game with DeNA (I'm going to keep this one a surprise. It certainly is very unexpected. Maybe you may see more than one of your favorite characters...)

19- New club nintendo system
20- "Nintendo circle"
21- Nintendo circle members will have a few ranks. Basic member, bronze member, silver member, gold member, diamond member. Previous Club nintendo ranks will be preserved when transferring the nnid to the new system. Platinum becomes diamond.
22- a unified account system not tied to a device. Can be accessed through pc, mobile through a new app, 3ds, Wii U
23- in addition to physical and digital rewards, it will also reward discount coupons, in game rewards
24- first few physical rewards will include a "diamond" Mario amiibo, physical book of Iwata asks as a tribute to late satoru iwata

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Did one of the "Leakers/info givers" claim the announcement was going to be today? If so that's good because we can finally move past his/her rumor.

Also, I feel like people here think I'm a jerk about the rumors sometimes. The reason I'm always so negative is because I'm as excited as any of you for the next character, and when it isn't released after the time frame someone claims, it's a bummer. And then usually people complain for the next few days. So I find it easier to assume it's false, and every once in a while be surprised :)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So it's pretty obvious that the rumored character is Inkling, however the way they hinted at the character was unsubtle, leading me to think that they're trying to make people think it's Inkling, only for it to be an entirely separate character that also fits the criteria for the character described. It's just too obvious for it to be Inkling.

Chrono.

Pikmin 4 being a 3DS game?

I doubt they'd say a game is essentially done if it was for the 3ds, we would at least of had a trailer by now.
If they did it for Majora 3D, they can do it for Pikmin.

That being said this leak sounds like rubbish.

Also lol @ MK8 DLC 3

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So it's pretty obvious that the rumored character is Inkling, however the way they hinted at the character was unsubtle, leading me to think that they're trying to make people think it's Inkling, only for it to be an entirely separate character that also fits the criteria for the character described. It's just too obvious for it to be Inkling.
You really really really over think things man.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You really really really over think things man.
*Shrugs* Whatever, I don't really even care tbh, it's probably fake anyways, just saying that if they wanted to keep the character a secret, I think they'd be a bit more subtle.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Ugh. That reminds me how worried I am about this new 'Club Nintendo' replacement. Sweden didn't have Club Nintendo as of 2007, and I have missed out on SOOO many physical awesome things. As a big collector, that is horrible. I pray to the mighty Yaoi Gods that Sweden gets this new thing. :c

Chrono.

*Shrugs* Whatever, I don't really even care tbh, it's probably fake anyways, just saying that if they wanted to keep the character a secret, I think they'd be a bit more subtle.
Subtle like saying "it isn't krool" and "Ridley will never be playable"

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Subtle like saying "it isn't krool" and "Ridley will never be playable"
I don't think that's subtle, more as in giving hints that don't give away who the "Secret" character is what I mean.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom