• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You missed my point which was that they don't care about being subtle.
That's what I mean though, if it's unsubtle, then the point of it being a secret is completely arbitrary and pointless, might as well just confess on who it is rather then causing all this commotion.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That's what I mean though, if it's unsubtle, then the point of it being a secret is completely arbitrary and pointless, might as well just confess on who it is rather then causing this whole commotion.
No real leak has been subtle. So this would just be par for course really.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I know alot of people are gonna hate me for saying this, but King K. Rool is the most overrated character and most of his support is purely bandwagon.
Out of ALL the big requests, K. Rool's fanbase is least the least bandwagon-ridden one. It's not a case of:

"OH MY GOD HIS ASSIST WAS REMOVED!!"
"Gen 3 remake and starter triangle type!!"
"But she's the next most recurring Zelda character!"
"OMG BIG NEW WII U GAME = CUNFORMED FOR SMASH"
"But the creator wants her in Smash!"
"Nintendo published her game!"

When you consider that;
He hasn't made an appearance in nearly a decade
He hasn't made a meaningful appearance since Donkey Kong 64
He has other characters in his franchise that are arguably more plausible, or at the very least competition
He has seen monumental support since pre-Brawl
He hails from a franchise that already HAS playable characters
He had never been teased or mentioned by Sakurai with different in-game roles until his Mii Fighter costume

I'm damn impressed with the overwhelming amount of support he has and for the length of time he has had it for. He's in a league of his own for sure.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I have no idea why people make fake Nintendo Direct leaks- that should set off red flags immediately.

Then again, people always go "that seems plausible" so maybe it's not that weird that people keep making them.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I know alot of people are gonna hate me for saying this, but King K. Rool is the most overrated character and most of his support is purely bandwagon.
K. Rool was as popular heading into Brawl as he was heading into SSB4. And that's really saying something, considering that the only other characters who were in high demand for Brawl who remained just as wanted for SSB4 were Ridley, Isaac, and Mega Man.

He's as far from a bandwagon character as you can get. If you want to see a bandwagon character, look no further than characters like Shantae who got a massive following out of nowhere. Or ones like Geno and Krystal who were massively popular Pre-Brawl and now only have a fraction of the support they once did.

17- Mario kart 8 dlc pack 3: work began only after they saw the success of packs 1 and 2. Traditional Battle mode and Mission mode return. Coming December this year
We still have people acting like there's going to be more Mario Kart 8 DLC? :facepalm:

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
K Rools support has lasted over a decade and only continues to grow. Waddle Dees fan group only formed because they ran out of important characters, so they decided to make him a P4 option.

K Rool support won't die down until he gets in.

If you want real examples of Bandwagon characters look at:

Shovel Knight: New character, one of the first Smashified and had an interesting rumor, plus amiibo. Before the ballot must people probably never heard of him.

Shantae: A character that has been around for longer than most of the newcomers, yet nobody realized she existed until recently.

Waddle Dee: See above.

Rayman: To an extent due to the Omni fake earlier this year.

Chorus Kids: Gematsu (I'm guilty of wanting them, but a RH needs to happen).

Characters like K Rool, Isaac, and even Krystal have had support for so long now and it hasn't died down, even as their own series died or pushed them aside.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
K Rools support has lasted over a decade and only continues to grow. Waddle Dees fan group only formed because they ran out of important characters, so they decided to make him a P4 option.
Let's not start this.
K Rool support won't die down until he gets in.
We thought that about Ridley, but everyone gave up.

EDIT: Not about to debate K. Rool's popularity though. He certainly is popular for reasons that elude me.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
We thought that about Ridley, but everyone gave up.
I'm sure if Sakurai came out and publicly said "No" to any character, their support would die out. It's not a case of people not caring, it's just that there's not really any point in continuing now that the guy directing the game closed the door on it.

The only other characters it's happened to are Chrom and Ice Climbers, so it's not really a good point to bring up, as the likelihood of it happening again anytime soon is quite low.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Go to bed.
Wake up.
Mom's in the hospital.
WHAT HAPPENED :crazy:

Chrono.

Mario Kart 8 had a Season Pass, you'd only pull out a Season Pass if the amount of DLC you were gonna put out was set in stone.

Hyrule Warriors is a different case as they're doing a full enhanced port to a different outlet so of course it's gonna have new content.

This is also why Smash 4 doesn't have a season pass, as they're pretty much just winging it as they go along.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I'm sure if Sakurai came out and said publicly said "No" to any character, their support would die out. It's not a case of people not caring, it's just that there's not really any point in continuing now that the guy directing the game closed the door on it.

The only other characters it's happened to are Chrom and Ice Climbers, so it's not really a good point to bring up, as the likelihood of it happening again anytime soon is quite low.
I agree, but I was just pointing out that plenty of things can happen and you can't guarantee a character is going to stay super popular forever.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I agree, but I was just pointing out that plenty of things can happen and you can't guarantee a character is going to stay super popular forever.
Of course not.

But the character we're talking about is one that has already stood the test of time. As I mentioned a few posts back, there are very few characters who were in high demand going into Brawl that stayed just as popular for SSB4. K. Rool is among those few.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You gotta understand the support he has and reasoning behind it

He's a Super Heavyweight fighter
From a underrepresented franchise that is probably bigger than most franchises
And he's a villain

There isn't a lot of characters that fit those criteria and only one that does is a stage hazard.

There's a method behind the madness and he's the biggest choice for that character from all regions.

North America, Europe and Japan wants K. Rool as well

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Chrono. Chrono. I think there might be a Smash 3DS/Wii U Season Pass once they're done with all the DLC.

As for characters in Smash 4, I don't think I need to repeat my stance on it, do I?

Burb

The Absolute Worst
He's a Super Heavyweight fighter
From a underrepresented franchise that is probably bigger than most franchises
And he's a villain

There isn't a lot of characters that fit those criteria and only one that does is a stage hazard.
Well, actually, most of the villains in Smash are Super Heavyweights....

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Of course not.

But the character we're talking about is one that has already stood the test of time. As I mentioned a few posts back, there are very few characters who were in high demand going into Brawl that stayed just as popular for SSB4. K. Rool is among those few.
He certainly endures more than most, but lets say K. Rool misses the boat for Smash 4 and Smash 5 comes out in 6-7 years from now- is he still going to be popular? Will the K. Rool fans stay around for this one? Lose face? Maybe they'll just move on with their lives and stuff?

I have no idea. It's likely... but I have a hard time even imagining Smash after this one.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
You know with all this Inkling Talk about them getting in to Smash.
It just makes me think if they get in, K Rool has no big reason going against him.
And I would love to see the reaction if both of these characters that were previously disconfirmed for Mii Costumes got in a Pack together like Royucas

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Well, actually, most of the villains in Smash are Super Heavyweights....
And that actually upsets me because there isn't any non-heavyweight villains which upsets me moreso than having Super Heavyweights in general.

Unless we can still technically call Mewtwo a villain, there's no villains that aren't fat.

Can we get a welterweight or a villain in the same weight class as Mario?

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
I legitimately think that if K. Rool doesn't get in through the ballot, his only other shot to be in a future Smash game is if he comes back in Donkey Kong first. Which there's a good chance of, but still, I have to wonder if there's a reason for keeping out what is apparently a really popular pick.

His popularity is interesting to me. I like him but I don't consider his absence to be some huge mystery like a lot of his diehard fans do.
Of course not.

He's stood the test of time so far, but he'll be continually retested until we get a "no" or he gets into Smash. If Smash 5 comes out 6-7 years from now a lot of people who support him now will have probably moved on. There's always the chance that the generation that grew up playing the old Donkey Kong games won't be nearly as prominent next time around.
Can we get a welterweight or a villain in the same weight class as Mario?
you had your chance nintendo

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think one of K. Rool's problems is what happened in translation to Japanese. Over here hes been the baddy of all the Rare DK games (and a couple more besides) in Japan, Kaptain K.Rool and Baron K. Roolenstien are different characters. And as Rool's Brawl trophy showed, they consider the translation more kanon than anything the original Kreator intended.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I legitimately think that if K. Rool doesn't get in through the ballot, his only other shot to be in a future Smash game is if he comes back in Donkey Kong first.
I almost think at this point that this would go without saying.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
He certainly endures more than most, but lets say K. Rool misses the boat for Smash 4 and Smash 5 comes out in 6-7 years from now- is he still going to be popular? Will the K. Rool fans stay around for this one? Lose face? Maybe they'll just move on with their lives and stuff?

I have no idea. It's likely... but I have a hard time even imagining Smash after this one.
Retro has shown a lot of support for the K Rool campaign. They listened to a lot of fan demands for the last DKC (Water levels, David Wise, Dixie) Now Kremlings are heavily requested for their third DKC game. Theres a strong chance K Rool will return to his series, and that will only further his support.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I legitimately think that if K. Rool doesn't get in through the ballot, his only other shot to be in a future Smash game is if he comes back in Donkey Kong first.
Yeah. That's how I feel about Isaac as well.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i am really worried about Mario & Luigi Paper jam not featuring anything from SMRPG yet and its gonna be released in 2015 (wich is not SMRPG 20th birthday), hoping for at least a cameo i just want anything from SMRPG to be featured there.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Sakurai clearly values relevancy now more than ever. Everyone but the "surprise" character Duck Hunt Duo is super relevant to the period of time between Brawl and Smash 4.

Ezequieleste

Smash Apprentice

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Honestly, I think every good ballot vote should insist Nintendo uses the character in more games besides Smash.
Both of my (probably wasted, they were for Midna) votes urge Nintendo to implement the character in future games and not just Smash Bros.

(though that will probably never happen. Luckily it seems like things are looking up for other characters on my wishlist)

I don't want everyone living on only through one fighting game crossover, after all. I'd much rather be able to see them in various games and merchandise. I want them to be part of Nintendo's world.

Soma translated Sakurai's tips for the first Super Smash Bros. Melee tourney!

[/spoiler

Any character's chances would greatly improve if Nintendo has plans to use them. Relevancy is something that Sakurai does consider.
Kirby in grand finals ? Lol

Also direct mention of using reflector offensively.

And even a passing reference to daisy aka "the other girl"

The things you find on stuff like this is always entertaining.
I shall now always refer to daisy as "the other girl"

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I have a gut feeling that Sakurai would rather add Dixie Kong before adding K. Rool.

Unlike K. Rool, Dixie Kong has appeared in recent Donkey Kong games and she was considered for Brawl as a character, at one point meant to be a tag team partner for Diddy Kong and is also a part of the Forbidden 7, which means that she could have been a sort of semi-clone character that would be lighter on workload and resources to implement.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm pretty sure that a character that has stood the test of time since Brawl, has the recognition from his former creators, continued to stand strong in spite of missing two initial rosters and has thus far not been addressed in any deconfirming way by Sakurai(Mii costumes are still debatable despite my own thoughts on the matter) is very far from being a bandwagon character like, say, Shantae or Shovel Knight.

Any character's chances would greatly improve if Nintendo has plans to use them. Relevancy is something that Sakurai does consider.
In this regard I'm pretty lucky considering my most wanted character for Smash is all but guaranteed a future appearance in the next Metroid games, and even if there's no explicit confirmation yet, Federation Force being the next one should Kensuke Tanabe's consistent wording point in the right direction.

Goddammit I need more FF news already.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
And here I am, hoping for Golden Sun 4 and the inclusion of Isaac in Smash Bros. Btw PushDustIn PushDustIn , what do you think the chances of Isaac getting in are if the rumor about 6 more characters for DLC is true?
Personally, I don't think the 6 more characters rumor is true. Right now I expect 3. I'm hopeful for 4. I'd be REALLY impressed with 6 more characters.

With 3-4 characters? Not good at all tbh.

With 6? A slight chance. He has some popularity in all regions, but he lacks relevancy. If he was the number 1 pick, then I rate his chances slightly higher.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom