• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I legitimately think that if K. Rool doesn't get in through the ballot, his only other shot to be in a future Smash game is if he comes back in Donkey Kong first.
I actually agree with this, and have said it quite a few times in the past myself.

I believe that if the developers selected a DK newcomer without fan input, they'd have picked Dixie (or even Cranky) before K. Rool. K. Rool's best shot was the ballot.

I have to wonder if there's a reason for keeping out what is apparently a really popular pick.
His irrelevance is probably the biggest factor blocking his entry.

His popularity is interesting to me. I like him but I don't consider his absence to be some huge mystery like a lot of his diehard fans do.
Anyone treating it like a mystery are lying to themselves. The reason why he's not in is blatantly obvious.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Kirby in grand finals ? Lol

Also direct mention of using reflector offensively.

And even a passing reference to daisy aka "the other girl"

The things you find on stuff like this is always entertaining.
I shall now always refer to daisy as "the other girl"
It really is funny how much of Melee is called an "accident" when a lot of things in the game are totally intentional, and Sakurai just went back on it later for the sake of making the game more casual.

Some things, of course, weren't intentional. But things like Wavedashing were completely known about and not removed.

It kind of irks me how there are specific references in the game to it having a place in a 1v1 Tournament setting (The Fox Trophy for example), yet Sakurai pretends like that was never the case, completely contradicting himself.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I have a gut feeling that Sakurai would rather add Dixie Kong before adding K. Rool.

Unlike K. Rool, Dixie Kong has appeared in recent Donkey Kong games and she was considered for Brawl as a character, at one point meant to be a tag team partner for Diddy Kong and is also a part of the Forbidden 7, which means that she could have been a sort of semi-clone character that would be lighter on workload and resources to implement.
I feel like the only thing that holds Dixie back is the lack of demand and how would she be implemented from a moveset perspective.

Outside of that she's easy to model with by using her boyfriend, she is still a popular character, she can sell greatly and gives you that extra DK rep that people wanted

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I feel like the only thing that holds Dixie back is the lack of demand and how would she be implemented from a moveset perspective.

Outside of that she's easy to model with by using her boyfriend, she is still a popular character, she can sell greatly and gives you that extra DK rep that people wanted
Dixie is less popular than K. Rool, but she's still in fairly high demand.

High enough to warrant her addition, I would think.

Ezequieleste

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I don't think the 6 more characters rumor is true. Right now I expect 3. I'm hopeful for 4. I'd be REALLY impressed with 6 more characters.

With 3-4 characters? Not good at all tbh.

With 6? A slight chance. He has some popularity in all regions, but he lacks relevancy. If he was the number 1 pick, then I rate his chances slightly higher.
As I thought :( He won't be the ballot's number 1 pick, that's for sure. Thanks for replying, even if they weren't good news for me.

On another note, Dixie does seem to be more likely than King K. Rool, even if not so long ago I said the opposite. After reading uncountable articles in Source Gaming, I changed my mind. Relevancy seems to be a crucial factor for Sakurai. In fact, our current rumor is totally based on relevancy (Inklings).

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Even though Sakurai doesn't put a lot of DK content in each Smash game and is one of the main sources of complaints among fans, he does pay attention to the unique attributes of the games.

Diddy Kong was meant to have Dixie Kong as a partner and recreate the tag team mechanic from the DKC games. Probably would mainly draw from DKC2, where those two characters were teamed up. It could explain why the down special simply has him throw a Banana Peel rather than something more characteristic of Diddy Kong (see the other specials).

The Jungle Hijinxs stage recreates the dual layer thing from DKC Returns.

Donkey Kong's Final Smash is pretty much playing Donkey Konga, Smash 3DS/Wii U even including a beat indicator that is based off Donkey Konga as well. The bongos are actually designed like the bongo controller for the GCN.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I'm of the belief that there will be one more DLC character, which will be the poll character. I would be happily surprised if there was an additional non poll DLC character. If there were 3 more characters, I would be almost shocked.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
As I thought :( He won't be the ballot's number 1 pick, that's for sure. Thanks for replying, even if they weren't good news for me.

On another note, Dixie does seem to be more likely than King K. Rool, even if not so long ago I said the opposite. After reading uncountable articles in Source Gaming, I changed my mind. Relevancy seems to be a crucial factor for Sakurai. In fact, our current rumor is totally based on relevancy (Inklings).
Please don't take my word as deconfirmation. I'm not working on the DLC, and I don't know the final roster. It's still possible, I'm just not personally hopeful based on the research I've/others have done on SG. I've been wrong about stuff in the past (I said we would only get 2 more...and now we have 3 slots), so please just consider my opinion as that -- just an opinion.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I'm of the belief that there will be one more DLC character, which will be the poll character. I would be happily surprised if there was an additional non poll DLC character. If there were 3 more characters, I would be almost shocked.
You are aware that there are three placeholders within the game's files for additional characters, right? One of which was added in the last update?

This isn't the sort of thing that's put in for no reason. It's not very likely that there's only one character remaining.

Wait there is someone more pessimistic than me? dammit. . .

You do know about the added place holder right?

EDIT :4greninja:

Last edited:

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
You are aware that there are three placeholders within the game's files for additional characters, right? One of which was added in the last update?

This isn't the sort of thing that's put in for no reason. It's not very likely that there's only one character remaining.
As realist as ever Burb, going by facts over everything else. Has there EVER been a time when you've gone with your gut over what evidence says?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Dixie is less popular than K. Rool, but she's still in fairly high demand.

High enough to warrant her addition, I would think.
Dixie probably has more casual support/renown too. K. Rool has been out of sight for such a long time now. Out of sight, out of mind.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Wait there is someone more pessimistic than me?
(waves)

As realist as ever Burb, going by facts over everything else. Has there EVER been a time when you've gone with your gut over what evidence says?
The closest example I can think of would be the last week or so heading into SSB3DS' Japanese release, when Neo came forward with a new source that supposedly confirmed that the ESRB leak's roster was not final and that there were still characters we didn't know about. I chose to disregard the information and continue believing the ESRB leak to be final.

Doesn't really count since we never saw the evidence, and it ended up being fake, but it's really the closest thing that comes to mind.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Seriously....

Of all the times to give Burb crap over his realism?

And in what way is Burb not going with his gut by using evidence? It's logical.

If there are 3 placeholders in the game. Then gut instinct should tell EVERYONE that at least 3 more characters are planned.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Well placeholders are placeholders.

They are meant to be used but not guaranteed.

Not saying you're wrong just playing Devils advocate

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Seriously....

Of all the times to give Burb crap over his realism?

And in what way is Burb not going with his gut by using evidence? It's logical.

If there are 3 placeholders in the game. Then gut instinct should tell EVERYONE that at least 3 more characters are planned.
I don't think they were trying to argue with me or belittle me. I think they were genuinely just asking if I've ever NOT taken the typical "Go with what the evidence says, whether it's the result I want or not" approach.

Well placeholders are placeholders.

They are meant to be used but not guaranteed.

Not saying you're wrong just playing Devils advocate
That could be the case if we still only had the ones from the Roy/Ryu leak. It was long enough ago to think that maybe one of the planned characters could've been cut.

Problem is that another one was added in the previous update. If they weren't planning on using those two slots, they wouldn't have added another one on top of them. They would've just used one of the two they already had.

Last edited:

Ezequieleste

Smash Apprentice
Please don't take my word as deconfirmation. I'm not working on the DLC, and I don't know the final roster. It's still possible, I'm just not personally hopeful based on the research I've/others have done on SG. I've been wrong about stuff in the past (I said we would only get 2 more...and now we have 3 slots), so please just consider my opinion as that -- just an opinion.
It's not only an opinion, because it's your opinion, PushDustin's opinion. After all the research you've done, everything you've written and after reading your perspective of things on everything Smash related, I've grown to respect your opinion a lot. Your analysis have always been pretty solid and entertaining to read. Though I really hope that you're wrong this time :p

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
So it was all fake? Including TPHD? Why the ***** deleted her account?!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I just realized that when I clear my head of all this Twitter and rumour nonsense, I have absolutely no idea who we're going to get as the next DLC character.
I'm excited. ^_^

My point is, who does you guys think is going to be announced...with no influence from rumours?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey, you!
Yeah, you at the other side of the screen
Look at this
A new Rabbidluigi countdown, I know some of you enjoy these

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
I don't think they were trying to argue with me or belittle me. I think they were genuinely just asking if I've ever NOT taken the typical "Go with what the evidence says, whether it's the result I want or not" approach.
Ha, yes, thank you for correctly guessing how I meant that, Burb. I was just curious. I tend to look to you for the facts because of that.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Guys, Collector Help, please!

Is a complete copy of this, for the GameCube, with manuals and all that, rare and good enough for a collection? I can buy it for 75 Swedish Kronor, but I wanted to ask if it is special in any way. ^^

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If the 3rd placeholder is any indication, we're very likely getting two more characters at least. They wouldn't have added a 3rd slot for nothing.

There were 6 extra slots added when the first batch of DLC, four of which are now filled by Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu.

In the latest patch, one more slot was added. From a development perspective, this tells that the 2 extra slots won't be enough for what they're planning in regards to character additions.

This sort of thing is carefully planned. They won't just tinker with the internal database for ****s and giggles. It's likely that 6 characters were under consideration back in April, of which one was complete and three were in actual development, scheduled for a June release.

It's likely that two characters might have started development as the first four were nearing the end of development. Right now, there's a possibility that those two characters may be close to end-development and they're planning one more.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't get it, are we 100% sure the first addition will be an Inkling? We used to be more sceptical than this.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158

You know what? I don't like your attitude mister. And I don't like being corrected! And I don't like being wrong. So I bid you a good day.

I SAID, Good Day!

Edit: I assume everybody knows that I'm humorously addressing the fact that he just owned me while trying not to admit it.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So it was all fake? Including TPHD? Why the ***** deleted her account?!
The character thing was fake. TPHD wasn't though as it was a result of her datamining the latest firmware update.

And she wasn't behind the Octoling hackings that corrupted Splatoon players' save data, that was a Japanese player who is now banned.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Sakurai clearly values relevancy now more than ever. Everyone but the "surprise" character Duck Hunt Duo is super relevant to the period of time between Brawl and Smash 4.
While the second part is true (though dead-in-the-water Mega Man and retro Pac-Man are other exceptions) I'm not sure of the "more than ever". In Smash 64 only non-relevant was Ness. F-Zero was a big game despite Falcon himself being unexpected.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I'm really sorry for all my questions, but I'd love if someone knew the answer to my previous question just now, since I will buy it now if it is a good deal. ._.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
I was in a very Halloween-y mood today, so I decided to draw something Halloween related.
And what's more Halloween-like than a spooky scary skeleton?

So please enjoy this drawing of a familiar skeleton!

Shameless self promotion.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Mario Kart 8 had a Season Pass, you'd only pull out a Season Pass if the amount of DLC you were gonna put out was set in stone.

Hyrule Warriors is a different case as they're doing a full enhanced port to a different outlet so of course it's gonna have new content.

This is also why Smash 4 doesn't have a season pass, as they're pretty much just winging it as they go along.
Other games have multiple season passes so it's not unprecedented.
Those games got flak for it, but it happened.

That said, it's terrible from a PR perspective and I doubt Nintendo would do it.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
GameXplain's Fatal Frame V review is up, and it's probably the most thorough review I've read or watched of the game so far. Can't wait for Thursday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrLDsGVekYA
Man seeing 4chan going up in arms about the two bikini costumes being taken out just is crazy.

I guess people are that scared for Fates to be censored.

Not like it matters considering how Tumblr complain so it'll get censored regardless just to avoid all the crap they'll get and the amie thing is weird so crying about it isn't gonna do anything if the game is still good

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I do not expect any more Mario Kart 8 stuff (maaaybe some new Costumes), and in a way, I really hope we get no more. I want them to work hard on the next one!

And add Gadd. And Nabbit. And Wart. And the REAL King Boo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom