• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't think a spoiler like that matters at this point, the show is in its third season and they talk about in trailers and everything.

Is it a spoiler if I say Coulson dies in The Avengers?
It's more so the fact that the shows haven't reached as wide an audience as the movies yet. :p

An ounce of prevention or something.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I'm going to say some things and you can't stop me.

Star Wars Episode 1 is better than 2 and 3 (come on, Darth Maul, Pod Racing, and LIAM NEESON).

Attack of the Clones is the worst Star Wars related media I have ever seen.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is fun and enjoyable.

Temple of Doom is disgustingly terrible. Practically unwatchable, literally just an hour and a half of racism and sexism.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
ITemple of Doom is disgustingly terrible. Practically unwatchable, literally just an hour and a half of racism and sexism.
I can see the sexism (though Indiana Jones has strong women everywhere, one weak one won't hurt anyone), but racism?

How so?

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I can see the sexism (though Indiana Jones has strong women everywhere, one weak one won't hurt anyone), but racism?

How so?
Monkey brains, ripping hearts out of chests, that whole cult or whatever is so racist.

And it's not just that Willie is weak, everything about her is stereotypically ******.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Temple of Doom is disgustingly terrible. Practically unwatchable, literally just an hour and a half of racism and sexism.
Temple of Doom has the minecart sequence, what's not to love?

Also, Ben Burtt went full Meta with the Wilhelm scream in that one, and I love it.

What eventually came to be known as the Wilhelm scream was a sound effect originally taken from the 1951 film Distant Drums. It was later added to a collection of commercial use sound effects and was labeled as 'Man Getting Eaten by Alligator.' Ben Burtt, the sound designer for Star Wars and Indiana Jones, stumbled across the sound file in college, and he and his buddies began sneaking the sound effect into movies as an in-joke. He had already used the sound effect several times, when in Temple of Doom he got the opportunity to use the sound in the exact context it was created for, when a man gets eaten by an alligator.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You went the entire movie and not one of Short Round's cringeworthy amounts of stereotypes got to you?
I completely forgot about Shortround.

I thought it was going to be one long essay about how the cult's portrayal was racist which is counteracted by the real world.

I forgot about that little bugger.

Monkey brains,
Real world food. My mother ate it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_brains

Culturally, you give it to guests of high honor, which Indy and crew were. They did their research.

ripping hearts out of chests, that whole cult or whatever is so racist..
This is also based on real world events and practices though exaggerated for cinematic effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuggee

In an effort to counter racism, you ignored the cultural practices of the people the movie was based on.

Don't be so quick to point fingers next time.

And it's not just that Willie is weak, everything about her is stereotypically ******.
While I agree, she is an annoying stereotype, give credit where credit is due. She undergoes character development and actually grows a bit of a spine.

Still Shortround though.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
As for the women of Indy? There's a reason why Karen Allen appeared twice.

Most of them were written not as equals to Indy, but just arm candy.

Much like a Bond Girl.

I feel only Karen/Marion rose above that.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Temple of Doom has the minecart sequence, what's not to love?

Also, Ben Burtt went full Meta with the Wilhelm scream in that one, and I love it.

What eventually came to be known as the Wilhelm scream was a sound effect originally taken from the 1951 film Distant Drums. It was later added to a collection of commercial use sound effects and was labeled as 'Man Getting Eaten by Alligator.' Ben Burtt, the sound designer for Star Wars and Indiana Jones, stumbled across the sound file in college, and he and his buddies began sneaking the sound effect into movies as an in-joke. He had already used the sound effect several times, when in Temple of Doom he got the opportunity to use the sound in the exact context it was created for, when a man gets eaten by an alligator.
I know what the Wilhelm Scream is haha.

Really though, a handful of good moments can't save a terrible movie. Just like the final battle in Revenge of the Sith can't change how bad everything else is.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I completely forgot about Shortround.

I thought it was going to be one long essay about how the cult's portrayal was racist which is counteracted by the real world.

I forgot about that little bugger.

Real world food. My mother ate it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_brains

Culturally, you give it to guests of high honor, which Indy and crew were. They did their research.

This is also based on real world events and practices though exaggerated for cinematic effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuggee

In an effort to counter racism, you ignored the cultural practices of the people the movie was based on.

Don't be so quick to point fingers next time.

While I agree, she is an annoying stereotype, give credit where credit is due. She undergoes character development and actually grows a bit of a spine.

Still Shortround though.
I'm sure there are more examples of the racism in the movie, I just haven't watched it in years because I think it's so bad.

Edit: Also, I think I read somewhere that the people in the movie are actually named at some point and it's a real name, although that culture never indulged in the customs the movie portrayed. So while the customs might not actually be racist, the context is.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I know what the Wilhelm Scream is haha.

Really though, a handful of good moments can't save a terrible movie. Just like the final battle in Revenge of the Sith can't change how bad everything else is.
Even people who know the Wilhelm scream (and by this point, everybody does) are still usually unaware of the whole 'eaten by an alligator' thing. It's a fun little anecdote.

Also, I really disliked the final battle of ROTS. Just two guys dancing around a cartoon light show. The score was sweet, tho.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm sure there are more examples of the racism in the movie, I just haven't watched it in years because I think it's so bad.
We both forgot Shortround.

It's both hard and easy to hate Shortround.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Even people who know the Wilhelm scream (and by this point, everybody does) are still usually unaware of the whole 'eaten by an alligator' thing.

Also, I really disliked the final battle of ROTS. Just two guys dancing around a cartoon light show. The score was sweet, tho.
Technically, those would be Gharials.

A rare species of crocodilian that only lives in the area. They are characterized by their bulbous snout.

Not trying to correct you or anything but my zoology nerd does not like the people calling them alligators when they don't live there.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I always kind of wanted to like Shortround because I liked the kid so much in The Goonies, but I can't.

Also, I never hated Jar Jar, I thought he was mildly entertaining. In short bursts anyway.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I feel Jar Jar had a stigma set on him even before Phantom was released.

People most likely expected another Chewbacca type sidekick.

Instead they got....that.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
http://strawpoll.me/5774210

Might as well.
I always kind of wanted to like Shortround because I liked the kid so much in The Goonies, but I can't.

Also, I never hated Jar Jar, I thought he was mildly entertaining. In short bursts anyway.
I don't really hate either honestly.

It takes a lot for me to hate a character (when I'm not intended to).

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think Chewie had the right vocal cords.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
While I like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, I do dislike the terrible misrepresentation of Peru in the movie. Mariachi music playing, badly placed locations (Nazca isn't even near Cuzco) and associating Pancho Villa with Peru.

Was it really that hard for the research team to find information about Peru?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Shortround vs Jar Jar Binks.

Legitimate question. Which ruins a movie more?
Short Round and Willie both contribute to the plot.

Jar Jar doesn't. He's just there. That's really my biggest problem with the character. He's a clumsy, dimwitted amphibian that Qui Gon decides to bring along on Tatooine, and he literally doesn't do anything the entire time he's there. Not even accidentally. He has no reason to exist as a character, and that's (one of the reasons) why he fails where other intentionally annoying characters succeed.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Jar Jar is my favourite character to come out of the Prequel Trilogy.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Short Round and Willie both contribute to the plot.

Jar Jar doesn't. He's just there. That's really my biggest problem with the character. He's a clumsy, dimwitted amphibian that Qui Gon decides to bring along on Tatooine, and he literally doesn't do anything the entire time he's there. Not even accidentally. He has no reason to exist as a character, and that's (one of the reasons) he fails where other intentionally annoying characters succeed.
I mean he kind of accidentally wins them the battle at the end if I recall correctly, so he at least does that plotwise.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Jar Jar takes Qui Gon and Obi Wan to Boss Nass.
That's something, right?
Forgive me. I remembered wrong. I haven't watched the prequels....in like ever.

Because who does that to themselves?
I do. I like the prequels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom