• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Personally I'd have Inkling's special moves be:

B - Splat Bomb
<>B - Splat Roller
^B - Super Jump
vB - Splash Wall

These special moves would all cover the stage with and interact with ink in a unique way, are the most notable sub-weapons Inklings have, and emphasize a focus on stage control.

Splat Bombs cover the stage in ink on explosion, damage the enemy, and the delay can have them be somewhat like a mine.

Splat Roller serves as a melee attack that leads into a very fast way to cover the stage in ink, but leaves you wide open and is mostly useless in the air.

Super Jump is a good recovery with lots of landing lag...but if you cover your destination in ink, you have none whatsoever.

Splash Wall neutralizes the enemy's projectiles, emphasizing again you have the stage, not the enemy.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

B - Splat Bomb
<>B - Splat Roller
^B - Super Jump
vB - Splash Wall

These special moves would all cover the stage with and interact with ink in a unique way, are the most notable sub-weapons Inklings have, and emphasize a focus on stage control.

Splat Bombs cover the stage in ink on explosion, damage the enemy, and the delay can have them be somewhat like a mine.

Splat Roller serves as a melee attack that leads into a very fast way to cover the stage in ink, but leaves you wide open and is mostly useless in the air.

Super Jump is a good recovery with lots of landing lag...but if you cover your destination in ink, you have none whatsoever.

Splash Wall neutralizes the enemy's projectiles, emphasizing again you have the stage, not the enemy.
Super Jump sounds like it has Max Aura Lucario Extreme Speed levels of landing lag.

Lets hope not.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Super Jump sounds like it has Max Aura Lucario Extreme Speed levels of landing lag.

Lets hope not.
Well, the idea would be, Inklings are supposed to control the stage, so getting knocked off is a harsher punishment than for other characters.
It's not like they have ExtremeSpeed lag with Little Mac's recovery though, that is just cruel.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Pretty sure Fates already has from what I've been hearing. SMTxFE I guess gets a slight pass because it's a spin off IDK.

Out of curiosity, why did Awakening appeal so broadly? I have my own guesses, but I don't want to sound like I'm ranting as I'm legitimately curious. I want to hear why you newcomers enjoyed it/bought it originally.

Presentation wise it's not the most charming in the series (GBA games probably win that). The story is the worst in the series. Balance wise, it's not that well done either.

FE1/11 I still think are the worst in the series (the former due to age, the latter due to being too minimal a remake), but why is it an okay game (series wise) has gotten all the attention?
How much marketing was there for Awakening vs the other titles? It could be that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
4vs4 Inkling only battles would be fun.

B - Splat Bomb
<>B - Splat Roller
^B - Super Jump
vB - Splash Wall

I like this moveset. It'll feel like Pac-Man's stage control with hydrant and trampoline.

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
otaku is... not exactly something people want to self-identify as
True, what I really meant was people are really into anime. These games tend to be adored by such people, didn't know how else to put it. xD

The Ratchet & Clank movie definitely looks more promising with each trailer that comes out. I hope it becomes successful along with Sly Cooper. If it does, Sony might think about creating their own film universe based on their video games; would be pretty cool. Ratchet & Clank and Jak & Daxter teaming up on the big screen would be so great, just saying.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
D

Deleted member

I really hope the NX doesn't release next year
The Wii U is just now getting its strong titles and a 2016 is a big **** you to anyone who bought it recently

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
We will be hosting our 2nd SourceCast this week. Please send questions to either myself or any member of the Source Gaming team that you would like to be answered.

The Source Gaming team is aware of all the rumors going around; and out of respect to those involved we will not be discussing them this week. Please stay tuned for additional news and coverage.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Pretty sure Fates already has from what I've been hearing. SMTxFE I guess gets a slight pass because it's a spin off IDK.

Out of curiosity, why did Awakening appeal so broadly? I have my own guesses, but I don't want to sound like I'm ranting as I'm legitimately curious. I want to hear why you newcomers enjoyed it/bought it originally.

Presentation wise it's not the most charming in the series (GBA games probably win that). The story is the worst in the series. Balance wise, it's not that well done either.

FE1/11 I still think are the worst in the series (the former due to age, the latter due to being too minimal a remake), but why is it an okay game (series wise) has gotten all the attention?
Awakening's success came from Nintendo actually advertising the series for once and the small little appeals caught on and became a big success now thanks to that and somewhat Smash, Fates might get even bigger sales than before
A guy on reddit came up with a 3DS CSS w/ six extra "what-if" DLC slots:
i don't care about too many slots as much but I can roll with this and it'll look well

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I had a weird dream last night, Wolf and Dixie were leaked along with Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony (She had a Pinky Pie alt) along with 16-player Smash.

D

Deleted member

Then that would mean that both Xenoblade X and Star Fox Zero would eventually become Wii U's swan song, and that Zelda U is gonna get reported to the NX, or even getting cancelled.

Dis gon b gud, that's sure.

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
The NX sounds very promising although 2016 should be Wii U's final year to really shine. I still wonder what the NX's official name will be, I'm sure they're not going to name it New Nintendo Wii U or anything Wii related since that would probably cause more confusion to the average consumer. Regarding Zelda Wii U, they could potentially release it on Wii U and NX shortly after depending on when it releases like they did with Twilight Princess for GameCube and Wii.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The Wii U is just now getting its strong titles and a 2016 is a big **** you to anyone who bought it recently
I have a feeling it's happening.
At the very least the NX will have backwards compatibility anyways most likely.

If it comes out next year, I have a feeling we will see another cross-platform Zelda game with the new Zelda.
I also think a Smash Bros. Ultimate Edition would be a good idea, but that's just me.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I for one welcome a 2016 release. Incidentally do any of the Wiius games even have dates past 2016 that we know of? (maybe Zelda U? Which is probably gonna get ported/upgraded anyway)

D

Deleted member

At least have it mid 2017 so I can enjoy muh SFZ, Legend of Zelda and Pokken.

Please Nintendo ;_;
Let's not forget that NX could also have backward compatibilities though.

The must is to have backward compatibilities for Wii AND Wii U games (same with 3DS AND the original DS, if the NX is confirmed to be an hybrid).

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Also in my dream, Snake was deconfirmed and Sakurai said it was because he was too tall.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The article for those of you that are too lazy to click a link:

TOKYO— Nintendo Co. has begun distributing a software development kit for its new NX videogame platform, people familiar with the matter said, suggesting the company is on track to introduce the product as early as next year.

The kit is used by third-party software developers to modify existing games for the platform or create new ones. Videogame console makers such as Nintendo like to have popular game titles ready when they start selling new devices.

Nintendo’s current flagship products are the Wii U, a console typically used in the living room, and the portable 3DS device. Both have been out for several years, leading analysts to predict that the Kyoto-based entertainment powerhouse will move fairly swiftly to bring out the NX.

“We are increasingly of the idea that Nintendo might launch the NX in 2016 because of the softness of 3DS and Wii U,” said David Gibson, an analyst at Macquarie Capital Securities.

A Nintendo spokeswoman said the company plans to disclose details of NX next year.

Square Enix Co. said in July that it planned to make the latest version of its blockbuster role-playing game Dragon Quest for the NX. That version, called Dragon Quest XI, is also planned for the 3DS and Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 4.

The exact shape of the NX hardware isn’t yet clear. People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use. They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U’s capabilities didn’t match those of competitors.

Nintendo’s former president, Satoru Iwata, said in March that NX “is a platform dedicated for videogames.” Mr. Iwata died in July, and his post was assumed in September by Tatsumi Kimishima, a former banker who served as one of Mr. Iwata’s top lieutenants at Nintendo.

Mr. Kimishima is expected to carry forward the strategy of Mr. Iwata, a legendary figure for many videogame fans. In the months before his death, Mr. Iwata laid out plans to put Nintendo characters in games for mobile devices under a partnership with DeNA Co. and made a deal with amusement park operator Universal Parks & Resorts, which is part of Comcast Corp.

“Nintendo is no longer just a traditional videogame company,” said industry veteran Hirokazu Hamamura, a director at Kadokawa Dwango Corp., which publishes magazines about videogames.
I do wonder about the systems power. Also, this signifies the end of the 3DS as well as the Wii U.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All I hope now is the 3DS getting bloody Pokémon Z as its swan song too, and then it would have a decent end of career before NX't generation.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If a port of Smash 4 to NX actually happens, please don't make me unlock Mii costumes and cutom moves a third time.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I am all for the NX releasing next year. I am very hyped for a new console. ^^

Also can't wait for Project Café!

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
That's been a sticking point for me regarding Inkling since early on. A major part of their gimmick is painting things and I just don't know how they'd translate that into Smash. Stages and/or other characters would have to have some kind of retexturing mechanic. I have a hard time imagining Smash having the proper engine to implement this accurately too, at least on the 3DS. Maybe if it functioned like a metal box and just covered an enemy fully at once rather than in "painted spots"? I simply don't see it painting stages however. And what would covering an enemy in paint do other than damage?
I actually see this the other way around - I see them painting the stages, but not the characters.

It's more important to the Inklings' mechanics, first of all. The stage would have to be painted in order for them to be able to swim or use stealth (and it's why I'm stuck on "break the media" actually meaning "break the meta," if there's any truth at all behind those pesky tweets - they'll completely redefine the zoning game, at least while they're on stage). They'd need to take some liberties in implementing them, like severely reducing the time an area remains painted to a few seconds, but it could be cool. Painting the stages shouldn't be terribly difficult either, so long as they restricted themselves to static surfaces.

Painting characters, however, has no benefit in a Smash context. The point is to rack up damage, not completely paint the surface of an enemy. More importantly, applying paint effects to every character model could be incredibly challenging - it's easier in Splatoon because the models are relatively simpler and more similar, but imagine trying to properly apply a splat to Ganondorf's armor. Painting each character would be purely an aesthetic choice, and one that seems like it'd come at a high cost for little payout. Maybe it is made simple through some cheeky algorithm, but you've asked the right question - is it feasible on a 3DS?

Last edited:

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
I for one welcome a 2016 release. Incidentally do any of the Wiius games even have dates past 2016 that we know of? (maybe Zelda U? Which is probably gonna get ported/upgraded anyway)
Pokkén is expected to come out in Q2 whilst #FE (excluding Japan release) and Zelda Wii U seem to be the last major games to not have a certain release date. A late 2016 release for the NX is possible, but I still think 2017 is more ideal.

I'm sure Nintendo is aware that backwards compatibility is essential for the NX. The question is how hard is it to implement that function. If the NX isn't going to have disc-based material, then physical backwards compatibility is out of the question and they'd have to resort with going digital just like PS4 and Xbox One have their services. Also, I'd imagine the NX will still use the eShop so they can always have Wii and Wii/U games as 'virtual console' games for the NX.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If a port of Smash 4 to NX actually happens, please don't make me unlock Mii costumes and cutom moves a third time.
^
If it happens, I hope they advertise it as a pick-up-and-play type of deal, with better online and multiplayer options, the custom moves and Mii costumes already unlocked, and the 1P relegated to trophy and equipment unlocks.
Also, all of the DLC on the disc and various changes to the actual content of the game like additional music.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326

B - Splat Bomb
<>B - Splat Roller
^B - Super Jump
vB - Splash Wall

I actually think splat roller would be their forward-Smash. Side-B on the other hand could be a short hop as a squid, and if you enter ink it allows you to swim.

Otherwise, yeah, that's a good moveset!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom