• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
Inklings transforming into squid form would be more akin to PAC-MAN becoming his "classic form" than an actual transformation.

The big problem I imagine they'd struggle with is how they'd inkcorporate Splatoon's ink mechanics in the Smash world/engine.
Maybe they can have a Down-B where they place Ink on the map and the opponent is slowed when walking in it?
Best usage I can think of that'd be realistic for Smash.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Inklings transforming into squid form would be more akin to PAC-MAN becoming his "classic form" than an actual transformation.

The big problem I imagine they'd struggle with is how they'd inkcorporate Splatoon's ink mechanics in the Smash world/engine.
This to both. Although the squid transformation is a bit more radical, I'm sure it isn't an issue.
Ink on the other hand, might be.

I think they should be able to actively cover the stage in ink, but I have no clue how possible that is.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
So, quick question regarding the Inklings.

Maybe this is just ignorance on my part, but the reason that transformations were cut was due to the 3ds, yes?

Well, I can't imagine the Inklings up+b being anything but the launching move that all Inklings do to leave the starting platform, which has them turn into a Squid.

Wouldn't this cause issues?
I thought transformations were cut because they were dumb. :v

I don't think a kid to squid transforming move that's temporary is the same thing, like, the move isn't modifying the characters' moveset and behavior, so I think it's a possibility.

I'm ignorant on this matter, but that's what I think.

Soul.

Don't Inklings become slippery when using their own ink?

Or just move faster when in Squid form?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
This to both. Although the squid transformation is a bit more radical, I'm sure it isn't an issue.
Ink on the other hand, might be.

I think they should be able to actively cover the stage in ink, but I have no clue how possible that is.
I always thought the best way to make it work would be to have specials fire/leave "limited" ink that quickly disappears (and can even be blown/washed away with things like windboxes/water moves, or moved by Villager's Pocket or Rosalina and Luma's Gravitational Pull).

For their Final Smash, I picture the Inkling using an Inkstrike, covering the entire stage with ink with it causing limited mobility for everyone aside from the Inkling who called it (or their teammates in Team Battles). The Ink would be "permanent" and last for about the same length as Bowser Jr.'s, causing slow AOE damage that adds up, similar to being "stuck" on enemy ink in Splatoon.

If nothing else, I could see something like Ryu's alternate Final Smashes, with the other variant being a Kraken that gives them full speed.

There's really just so much they could do with the characters, and I have no doubt Sakurai would do a good job. More of a matter of "when" rather than "how" (I'd like them in this game as DLC, but would be perfectly content with waiting on them for next game)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Don't Inklings become slippery when using their own ink?

Or just move faster when in Squid form?
No, they just move fast in their own ink. It doesn't make them slippery when running.
It does make them slow if it's enemy ink though, cripplingly so.

I always thought the best way to make it work would be to have specials fire/leave "limited" ink that quickly disappears (and can even be blown away with things like windboxes/water moves).

For their Final Smash, I picture the Inkling using an Inkstrike, covering the entire stage with ink with it causing limited mobility for everyone aside from the Inkling who called it (or their teammates in Team Battles). The Ink would be "permanent" and last for about the same length as Bowser Jr.'s, causing slow AOE damage that adds up, similar to being "stuck" on enemy ink in Splatoon.

If nothing else, I could see something like Ryu's alternate Final Smashes, with the other variant being a Kraken that gives them full speed.
Wow.
IsmaR just ninja squid'd the hell out of me. T-T

Last edited:

Chrono.

Inklings being able to cover the stage with ink sounds like it'd be a nightmare to fight against (well unless the ink won't slow the player down).

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Come back to me when Fire Emblem is the opening for E3.

Honestly, ya'll are letting Smash cloud your perceptions of the real world.

As for Wolf...

• I want Wolf. :wolf:
  • I want to slap both of sides of this argument.
Eh, Nintendo understand the importance of nostalgia, but they also know when a series is dead or doesn't have much left to give.

Fire Emblem continues to be innovative. Let's see if Star Fox can too.

I'm not using character count as an argument because I don't buy into that crap.

Juat saying, expanding and developing niche games might be a more effective strategy than trying to get us the same old game with pretty graphics.

Obviously I can't make that call until Star Fox is released, so we'll wait and see what they can do with it to breathe new life that isn't fur and longer levels.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've always seen the use of ink as a realization of what I've always wanted Muddy Mole to do: a character focused on increased ground mobility by being able to "swim through the stage" in a way.

Soul.

A few good things from ink on stage would be giving them stage control on a match lol.
No, they just move fast in their own ink. It doesn't make them slippery when running.
It does make them slow if it's enemy ink though, cripplingly so.
Huh. Thought so; was going to make that a really silly idea.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I love the mental image of an Inkling pulling out an Inkzooka and firing a tornado that tears across the stage and takes every else with it.
Inklings are honestly hard to make a moveset for. Not due to lack of things they can do, no, quite the opposite. I hate having to choose between all their different weapons.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Fire Emblem and niche, I wonder if the new 3DS one and the Wii U "crossover" game is going to cement it further into niche categories with the usage of fanservice by comparison to non-DLC from Awakening.

Awakening appealed to a bigger audience, but the games now are starting to turn to a more otaku style which may hurt it's mass appeal in the long run.

Soul.

Which would be very in-line with them, since controlling turfs is their whole schtick.
Oh right lmao, that's true.

Though, if I may be serious about this, if DLC characters had customs and Inklings were to get them, would they be completely different or just variations of the same moves?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
So, quick question regarding the Inklings.

Maybe this is just ignorance on my part, but the reason that transformations were cut was due to the 3ds, yes?

Well, I can't imagine the Inklings up+b being anything but the launching move that all Inklings do to leave the starting platform, which has them turn into a Squid.

Wouldn't this cause issues?
I would imagine that it would be more comparable to a Super Sonic change than it would be for a full blown transformation in terms of the effect it'd have on 3DS hardware.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Speaking of Fire Emblem and niche, I wonder if the new 3DS one and the Wii U "crossover" game is going to cement it further into niche categories with the usage of fanservice by comparison to non-DLC from Awakening.

Awakening appealed to a bigger audience, but the games now are starting to turn to a more otaku style which may hurt it's mass appeal in the long run.
They definitely run that risk now.
I know I've definitely been turned off by the fanservice in Fates and especially #FE, which wasn't the case with Awakening.
I mean, Awakening's fanservice was minor and usually put far to the side. Fates is a lot more open and weirdly specific about it's fanservice, and #FE basically wears it on it's sleeve but yet, doesn't.

If Fire Emblem first and foremost an epic medieval strategy RPG it should stay successful, but that's a big If.

Last edited:

Serpdrako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Imperfect_Scars
3DS FC
3136-6642-7063
Kinda off-topic (do we ever stay on-topic though?): I'm not sure how many of you use Pokemon Showdown but I used to mess around with teams around when X/Y came out and recently started playing around with it again. Anyway, I made an offensive OU team and decided to test it out real quick just now. Let me tell you, people can be jerks.

I fought against this guy who trashed talked me the entire battle. Saying things like "my ladder is 1800" and "show me ur real lvl". I tried to ignore him to the best of my ability. I even tried being friendly but you know how that goes online. Anyway, part of the way through the battle he sends out his mega-blastoise and kills my (very weakened) hoopa in one hit with water pulse. He says "x1". I really didn't know what he meant by that but I sent out my breloom and he says "is this b**** x2", so I figure he thought he was going to sweep my team or something.

I killed his blastoise in one turn with bullet seed and all that remains is his (very weakened and sleeping) scizor that I can easily take out with what I have left. He then says "nasty game. nasty very nasty" and just sits there without facing defeat, making me wait 150 seconds while the timer went down to win. Ugh people.

Sorry for the randomness but this just happened to me and I felt like ranting.

Edit: After the battle he proceeded to call me gay in a pm. Hilarious. Starting to think this is a kid.

Last edited:

Soul.

The Showdown thing has happened to me before. I think it was last year, back when ORAS was still new, but that aside I was doing an OU battle and the user who I was battling with was doing nothing but spout ****. He was like, trying to outsmart me.

I ended up winning the match but that is seriously annoying.

What can I say tho, I rarely see myself play OU these days. VGC is cool but also eh.

Also is MLG starting today?

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Oh right lmao, that's true.

Though, if I may be serious about this, if DLC characters had customs and Inklings were to get them, would they be completely different or just variations of the same moves?
Depends. They have weapons with slightly alternate effects, like different shooters/rollers, or they could be like Mega Man/Palutena and have completely unique customs, spanning all 3 basic weapon types and a bunch of different sub-weapons (grenades/bombs).

As for their special weapons, it's hard to peg down just one, which is why I suggested something like Ryu's alternate Final Smashes would be great. The 3 "iconic" special weapons that come to mind are Inkzooka (bazooka), Inkstrike (tornado/nuke) and Kraken (Giant Squid), with a few others like Killer Wail (giant laser/SONIC BOOM) and Bubblers (invincible shield) also making sense. I can't for the life of me think of any way they could be "balanced" to just being customs. Maybe if they had really long charge times, or something similar to Mac's K.O. meter?

Thinking of how anyone could come up with anything with so many possibilities... but then I think of how perfectly Mega Man was done.

Serpdrako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Imperfect_Scars
3DS FC
3136-6642-7063
I honestly don't even consider myself that good at competitive Pokemon. I just wish people could lighten up a little and let people enjoy themselves. I didn't even feel all that satisfied from my win because the guy annoyed me so much I was in a bad mood. I'm starting to remember why I stopped playing for a while.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Pretty sure Fates already has from what I've been hearing. SMTxFE I guess gets a slight pass because it's a spin off IDK.

Out of curiosity, why did Awakening appeal so broadly? I have my own guesses, but I don't want to sound like I'm ranting as I'm legitimately curious. I want to hear why you newcomers enjoyed it/bought it originally.

Presentation wise it's not the most charming in the series (GBA games probably win that). The story is the worst in the series. Balance wise, it's not that well done either.

FE1/11 I still think are the worst in the series (the former due to age, the latter due to being too minimal a remake), but why is it an okay game (series wise) has gotten all the attention?

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
I know I've definitely been turned off by the fanservice in Fates and especially #FE, which wasn't the case with Awakening.
Speaking of fanservice in #FE, I've found the tsundere character. Luckily for me I'm quite the otaku so I dig this stuff... and she's voiced by one of my favourite actresses.

D

Deleted member

Pretty sure Fates already has from what I've been hearing. SMTxFE I guess gets a slight pass because it's a spin off IDK.

Out of curiosity, why did Awakening appeal so broadly? I have my own guesses, but I don't want to sound like I'm ranting as I'm legitimately curious. I want to hear why you newcomers enjoyed it/bought it originally.

Presentation wise it's not the most charming in the series (GBA games probably win that). The story is the worst in the series. Balance wise, it's not that well done either.

FE1/11 I still think are the worst in the series (the former due to age, the latter due to being too minimal a remake), but why is it an okay game (series wise) has gotten all the attention?
Being that it's my first FE game I actually played past the initial first few minutes, I'd akin that to it's accessibility. It feels easier to get into for a newcomer compared to the other games, and the art style and character designs look really cool to me.

I'll probably get hate for this, but I actually like the fact I can choose to not have my characters die. I didn't like having to worry about that and when they gave the option it let me approach the series easier. Now I could probably experiment with that feature now since I feel more comfortable with the series since I beat the game via that mode.

The gameplay felt balanced and fun for me, and I did like the story. I'm uncertain how good the other FEs are, though. But even if they are better, I think Awakening is a great game.

Last edited by a moderator:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord

That's been a sticking point for me regarding Inkling since early on. A major part of their gimmick is painting things and I just don't know how they'd translate that into Smash. Stages and/or other characters would have to have some kind of retexturing mechanic. I have a hard time imagining Smash having the proper engine to implement this accurately too, at least on the 3DS. Maybe if it functioned like a metal box and just covered an enemy fully at once rather than in "painted spots"? I simply don't see it painting stages however. And what would covering an enemy in paint do other than damage?

Truth is that as important to the Inkling's image and function as the paint is, I don't understand how it would function in Smash. It could just be a projectile that might splash on impact but doesn't "stick", only doing damage and not coloring anything. Basically, the paint becomes an attack effect and doesn't stick to anything. If you were willing to remove that major feature of the Inkling's paint, you could make them work I suppose. Examples could be having "squid movement" through paint being a special that would function like Shadow Sneak. Just a steam of paint that is only an attack effect that vanishes when the move is over

It's funny this got mentioned since recent talk of the Inkling's inclusion in Smash reminded me of this stuff and I had recently been thinking of popping into the Inkling support thread to see if they could explain how Inklings would function.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Awakening was about to be released when I got my 3DS and I had never played a game in the series but I got interested in it from the trailers the trailers I saw
And I wasn't disapointed when I played the full game, the story was great, the gameplay was fun and it had a lot of memorable characters

The only big flaw I can think Awakening had are the open-field maps
This actually gave me a bad taste in regards to FE's map design but after playing SS, I know this is a problem (hopefully)exclusive to Awakening

Soul.

Depends. They have weapons with slightly alternate effects, like different shooters/rollers, or they could be like Mega Man/Palutena and have completely unique customs, spanning all 3 basic weapon types and a bunch of different sub-weapons (grenades/bombs).

As for their special weapons, it's hard to peg down just one, which is why I suggested something like Ryu's alternate Final Smashes would be great. The 3 "iconic" special weapons that come to mind are Inkzooka (bazooka), Inkstrike (tornado/nuke) and Kraken (Giant Squid), with a few others like Killer Wail (giant laser/SONIC BOOM) and Bubblers (invincible shield) also making sense. I can't for the life of me think of any way they could be "balanced" to just being customs. Maybe if they had really long charge times, or something similar to Mac's K.O. meter?

Thinking of how anyone could come up with anything with so many possibilities... but then I think of how perfectly Mega Man was done.
Actually I thought of them using Splat Bombs, those that explode on contact (I may be wrong). With the way they work in the source game I could see them using it, but they'll likely use something else. Burst Bombs could work too but I'm not so sure about them.

There's also the Ink Mine... I honestly don't know what that thing is.

D

Deleted member

I have a question specific to you American people :

How would you react if Reggie get fired of his COO place inside Nintendo of America ?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Case and point.

People here deride Golden Sun, Sin and Punishment, Starfy and the more casual series like Brain Age just because they don't have a character.
I remember that Golden Sun was compared to Sins & Punishment,Daigasso! Band Brothers and Dillon's Rolling Western despite Golden Sun 1 and 2 selling over a million copies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
From the trailer it looks like Ratchet and Clank is doing a pick and mix between the first game and up your arsenal's back story with what looks like organic Dr. Neferious acting as Drek's scientist.

Probably the best approach as the first game's story wasn't that great and Ratchet was a really abrasive character in it. Find it odd that they seem to be skipping Going Commando entirley as all hint to a potential sequel seem to indicate an Up Your Arsenal adaptation.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Actually I thought of them using Splat Bombs, those that explode on contact (I may be wrong). With the way they work in the source game I could see them using it, but they'll likely use something else. Burst Bombs could work too but I'm not so sure about them.
Splat Bombs are the triangular ones that explode after a little bit of time. Burst Bombs are the water balloon looking ones that pop on impact. Lastly, Suction Bombs look like weird microphone and take a good while to explode.

There's also defensive weapons and what are basically Bombchus.

There's also the Ink Mine... I honestly don't know what that thing is.
They work pretty much identically to Snake's Down Smash in Brawl. Basically hide 'em in a spot (in this case, in ink), leave them be, and whenever someone walks over them, they detonate. They're often overlooked, but definitely a good option for having Inklings be about total stage control.

Khoru

Smash Champion
Speaking of fanservice in #FE, I've found the tsundere character. Luckily for me I'm quite the otaku so I dig this stuff... and she's voiced by one of my favourite actresses.
otaku is... not exactly something people want to self-identify as

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom