• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Deng Xiaoping hasn't even been in a Nintendo game, so that point is moot. I did read the post you quoted. It doesn't make your argument make sense. You know who the same could be said for? Inkling. K. Rool. Dixie. Chibi Robo. Henry Fleming. Hell, even promoted NPCs like Isabelle or Chrom, as unlikely as they are. If it's Smash DLC, it will sell. It's not a point exclusive to Wolf.
I messed up its actually Tong Shau Ping, from this SNES game:awesome:
TIME TO GET TRAUMATIZED!:demon:

Chrono.

Other reason's include he's a veteran
He's a bad***
He's got a cool original moveset
He's got a bad*** voice
He's a villain.
This is all subjective except for the villain point which isn't even a legitimate factor.

Really the only thing he has going for him right now are his veteran status and fan demand. That's it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Going forward for Nintendo, I'd say Fire Emblem is more important than Star Fox.

From a business POV.

Just sayin'.
Come back to me when Fire Emblem is the opening for E3.

Honestly, ya'll are letting Smash cloud your perceptions of the real world.

As for Wolf...

• I want Wolf. :wolf:
  • I want to slap both of sides of this argument.

Last edited:

Soul.

I want Wolf to come back as much as everyone else, but saying he'll give Nintendo more money than anyone else screams bias to me.

DLC will sell regardless of the character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Come back to me when Fire Emblem is the opening for E3.

As for Wolf...

• I want Wolf. :wolf:
  • I want to slap both of sides of this argument.
Plus, let's face it, if Fire Emblem were that huge, we wouldn't have as hard of a time finding Robin and Lucina's amiibos.

Like seriously, they're the rarest ones.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It's well established at this point that Smash is promotion for Nintendo's other series.
So why would Fire Emblem go from 2 to 5 characters across Smash iterations after a massively successful game and a follow-up a couple years later?
EDIT: Massively successful for Fire Emblem, at least.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
In that case, yeah, it's basically the Slippery Slope. Are you going to address the actual point of the post though?
Nah I'm done with that argument Argument over got that no more! Lets talk about something different, like what if Tong Shau Ping became DLC, and when ever he's in a match the only music that plays is this,
So has anyone actually played the game:smirk:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
EDIT: Massively successful for Fire Emblem, at least.
That kind of destroyed your argument there.

And do I have to say that Smash Roster Ratios =/= Importance in other areas?

Why did DK get no one after a successful revival and two massively successful games?

Why hasn't Zelda gotten anyone new?

Retros in general.

It's a celebration. Not a promotion.

Even then these decisions are decided by a few people. Not the majority. It's not non-biased.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

And do I have to say that Smash Roster Ratios =/= Importance in other areas?

Why did DK get no one after a successful revival and two massively successful games?

Why hasn't Zelda gotten anyone new?

Retros in general.

It's a celebration. Not a promotion.

Even then these decisions are decided by a few people. Not the majority.
I'll also add this onto it.

It's worse for the series that don't have characters in Smash. People seem to like to pretend that those don't even exist or are unimportant. Same as if a character doesn't get in from their series, despite their series being in Smash.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Side Note.

With the Balance Change videos put out, I'm under the impression Octolings and a Direct were pushed back because of leaks/hackers.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'll also add this onto it.

It's worse for the series that don't have characters in Smash. People seem to like to pretend that those don't even exist or are unimportant. Same as if a character doesn't get in from their series, despite their series being in Smash.
Case and point.

People here deride Golden Sun, Sin and Punishment, Starfy and the more casual series like Brain Age just because they don't have a character.

People derided Punch Out!! and Xenoblade and Animal Crossing before they got characters. Now they're Nintendo staples.

On the character side, it's Chrom and Ridley.

Like if the reaction to Chrom not being playable doesn't convince you we're generally sheeple nothing will.

Is it wrong that I just want the next batch of DLC for new music?
No.

This is the correct way of thinking.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Um, how?
Fire Emblem Awakening wasn't a groundbreaking success for Nintendo, how could it be, but it was a new high for Fire Emblem, and now Nintendo gives it much more attention.
And now we have Robin, Lucina, and Roy.

It has nothing to do with Smash. Smash just helped what IS was already trying to accomplish.

Soul.

I want the next DLC for more balance patches okay no not yet

On another note, I think the "we need more villains" thing is kinda stupid; I never really got that fan-made rule.

Chrono.

Why make balance change videos outside a Direct if a Direct is imminent.

Answer: because nothing is imminent.
If we talking Splatoon Direct I'd believe you.

But showcasing balance changes for Splatoon wouldn't make much sense in a general Direct. (side note: I'm not really expecting a Direct at all in the first place but I just think it could still happen)

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I want the next DLC for more balance patches okay no not yet

On another note, I think the "we need more villains" thing is kinda stupid; I never really got that fan-made rule.
Because villains are always the best character in a game unless that game has really good characters or really bad villains.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
We will get wolf im absolutely sure. Maybe wolf wouldnt give the most money to nintendo but can we all agree that he would be easy work for the smash team to make him a character for smash 4? Because brawl und fox customs and so on? He is not a low requested random character, its wolf a veteran from previous game and highly requested all over the world.

Easy work, much money and happy fans.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Case and point.

People here deride Golden Sun, Sin and Punishment, Starfy and the more casual series like Brain Age just because they don't have a character.

People derided Punch Out!! and Xenoblade and Animal Crossing before they got characters. Now they're Nintendo staples.

On the character side, it's Chrom and Ridley.

Like if the reaction to Chrom not being playable doesn't convince you we're generally sheeple nothing will.
I'm glad someone said it so I didn't have to.

Seriously. You don't know how much I had to put up with "Chrom isn't an important character. Awakening's all about Robin and Lucina!" and "Oh, why did they put Chrom in PXZ2? Marth would have made much more sense!" Like seriously. Way too often.

And the whole "Ridley is just a regular old boss, am I right?" thing. Like no. Kraid and Phantoon didn't set Samus' entire story in motion like Ridley did.

Or hell, to a more minor extent, Isabelle. No denying she's seen as an important Nintendo character nowadays, yet lots of people seem to consider only the Villager from what I've seen.

Seriously: if Nintendo's marketing a character outside their series as much as those three are, they're important regardless of Smash. Ridley? NintendoLand, Dead or Alive. Chrom? Monster Hunter, Project X Zone, and a Nendoroid. Isabelle? ****ing everything, man.

And seriously, poor Starfy, Isaac, and Saki. Starfy especially, since he also gets the AT being terrible thing...but no, obviously Color TV Game 15/Not!Pong is more important!" It's sad, really. Bet Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. and Dillon's Rolling Western will fall to that, too.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
User was warned for this post
Um, how?
Fire Emblem Awakening wasn't a groundbreaking success for Nintendo, how could it be, but it was a new high for Fire Emblem, and now Nintendo gives it much more attention.
And now we have Robin, Lucina, and Roy.

It has nothing to do with Smash. Smash just helped what IS was already trying to accomplish.
You're saying that Smash getting 5 characters is directly related to Awakening's success.

When that just isn't true.

Lucina got lucky. The original plan was only three. Roy got in due to demand in the Smash community. His inclusion wasn't related to Awakening.

They gave it more attention, sure. But the attention isn't as much as you're trying to say.

Seriously: if Nintendo's marketing a character outside their series as much as those three are, they're important regardless of Smash. Ridley? NintendoLand, Dead or Alive. Chrom? Monster Hunter, Project X Zone, and a Nendoroid. Isabelle? ****ing everything, man.
THANK YOU!

I love Smash but I hate it how people treat it as THE END ALL way of determining quality or worth.

Smash is put on a pedestal way above most of the main series it includes. It's nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You're saying that Smash getting 5 characters is directly related to Awakening's success.

When that just isn't true.

Lucina got lucky. The original plan was only three. Roy got in due to demand in the Smash community. His inclusion wasn't related to Awakening.

They gave it more attention, sure. But the attention isn't as much as you're trying to say.
Never did I say that...And you neglected to mention Robin, who very explicitly was chosen to represent the new game.
Saying that Fire Emblem is being pushed by Nintendo isn't "letting Smash cloud [my] judgment". With Awakening, Fates, #FE, and all of the FE representation in Smash, It's just basic logic. :glare:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I do think that Fire Emblem is becoming less niche than it's always been, but it's still got a long way to go to reach Star Fox level, just due to how the public eye is. Is it getting there? Yeah, slowly but surely. But it's still not on par with Star Fox, mainly due to the tremendous legacy it has internationally. Yeah, Fire Emblem's been around longer, but a good portion of that was exclusive to the east. It's getting there, though. A few more years of steady releases might alter my viewpoint though.

tl;dr: It's getting there, but it's not there quite yet.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I'm glad someone said it so I didn't have to.

Seriously. You don't know how much I had to put up with "Chrom isn't an important character. Awakening's all about Robin and Lucina!" and "Oh, why did they put Chrom in PXZ2? Marth would have made much more sense!" Like seriously. Way too often.

And the whole "Ridley is just a regular old boss, am I right?" thing. Like no. Kraid and Phantoon didn't set Samus' entire story in motion like Ridley did.

Or hell, to a more minor extent, Isabelle. No denying she's seen as an important Nintendo character nowadays, yet lots of people seem to consider only the Villager from what I've seen.

And seriously, poor Starfy, Isaac, and Saki. Starfy especially, since he also gets the AT being terrible thing...but no, obviously Color TV Game 15/Not!Pong is more important!" It's sad, really. Bet Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. and Dillon's Rolling Western will fall to that, too.
This is why every fan wants their character in smash, so that they may be recognized by the world as an important character, this it what smash has now become sadly. That's why people want characters like Wolf, Krool, Isaac, Bandanna Dee, and many others.
THANK YOU!

I love Smash but I hate it how people treat it as THE END ALL way of determining quality or worth.

Smash is put on a pedestal way above most of the main series it includes. It's nuts.
That's cause its the only major crossover game Nintendo has, now if other Nintendo characters started appearing in the Mario spin off games, and/or Nintendo made spinoff games staring Nintendo characters other than Mario this wouldn't be a problem.
I would love to have characters like Wolf and Dedede playable in Mario Tennis Ultra smash.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Never did I say that...And you neglected to mention Robin, who very explicitly was chosen to represent the new game.
Saying that Fire Emblem is being pushed by Nintendo isn't "letting Smash cloud [my] judgment". With Awakening, Fates, #FE, and all of the FE representation in Smash, It's just basic logic. :glare:
I never said anything about Robin because I agree with that notion.

And I said that because you strongly agreed that FE is more notable than Star Fox going forward.

FE is getting more games but none of them are getting the red carpet treatment Star Fox is.

FE is becoming less niche but Star Fox was mainstream for quite some time.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I never said anything about Robin because I agree with that notion.

And I said that because you strongly agreed that FE is more notable than Star Fox going forward.

FE is getting more games but none of them are getting the red carpet treatment Star Fox is.

FE is becoming less niche but Star Fox was mainstream for quite some time.
I did say that, and I concede it might be somewhat hyperbole, but I stand by it, and that doesn't have anything to do with Smash.

This is what I'm taking offense to. You shouldn't make broad generalizations when you don't know how someone came to the conclusions they did about the future of these series. You could have just said that Starfox Zero was getting "red carpet treatment" if that was your point instead of that condescending statement.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
EDIT:

This is going bad places.

Let's just drop it. Kay Kenith?

So... anything you guys want in SFZ?

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
-Multiplayer
-Blue Marine/underwater levels
-amiibo support
-Krystal

Granted, what I expect is completely different from what I want to see. Of those, I could only see limited amiibo functionality.

Shroob

Sup?
So, quick question regarding the Inklings.

Maybe this is just ignorance on my part, but the reason that transformations were cut was due to the 3ds, yes?

Well, I can't imagine the Inklings up+b being anything but the launching move that all Inklings do to leave the starting platform, which has them turn into a Squid.

Wouldn't this cause issues?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Maybe this is just ignorance on my part, but the reason that transformations were cut was due to the 3ds, yes?

Well, I can't imagine the Inklings up+b being anything but the launching move that all Inklings do to leave the starting platform, which has them turn into a Squid.

Transforming in Smash entails swapping character data on the fly.
Inklings turning into squids would be incorporated into their moveset so this isn't an issue.

Chrono.

Hmmm...

Well, their squid form is rather small and if it's only for a short time I don't "think" it would cause major issues... But uh I'm just guessing here lol

Shroob

Sup?
Transforming in Smash entails swapping character data on the fly.
Inklings turning into squids would be incorporated into their moveset so this isn't an issue.
Fair point.

Now another question. How would the Ink mechanic work? Do you think they'd incorporate some form of 'covering the stage with ink'?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Inklings transforming into squid form would be more akin to PAC-MAN becoming his "classic form" than an actual transformation.

The big problem I imagine they'd struggle with is how they'd inkcorporate Splatoon's ink mechanics in the Smash world/engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom