• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
...Can we just give these guys a straightjacket?

PushDustIn PushDustIn I found a new Japanese pun in Kamen Rider. A new Transformation Trinket for some Necrom guy is called Megauroadda or something and it looks like a bottle of eye moisturizer. Me ga uroa da apparently means 'the eye is moisturizerized'
Uruoi is moisturizerized I believe.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Could be security updates considering how broken their online infrastructure is now. People were able to data mine stuff off their servers. That's a big deal.
That's a really good point actually. I feel like that could very well be the reason, with the curtain being pulled on things like TP HD thanks to it.
...Not that it'll actually manage to stop said data miners for more than a week or so. =P

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
So. Is Europe getting Zelda Demo Codes, btw? At all? I just realised that, if only the US is getting them, I couldn't use any anyways. :s

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
That guy was at the forefront of the 'vaanrose faked the ESRB' movement.

Along with someone else who knows who he is. (¬‿¬)
Vanroose be leaking all the time man. Your evil twin perhaps?

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
The email I got says that you can also try out the online co-op mode during certain hours. Do you know if you'll be able to play with your friends during those times or are people just going to be paired up at random?

If you can only play with your friends locally, I'd be happy to give you one of my demo codes to make up for the one you gave to your friend who doesn't live nearby.
No, the game outright tells you that the online with friends feature isn't available when you try to play it. Doesn't take you to an error screen or anything like co-op with strangers does. If you still have a spare you're willing to give up, that would be extremely kind of you. If not then that's fine too. Kind of weird that that Nintendo doesn't permit this mode in the demo, but maybe it's so they can test out the servers at the certain times while also testing the matchmaking system when everyone tries to pair up at once or something. They might not necessarily need to test the online with friends function.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
All clone characters so far have made sense in regards to the characters' canon. Except for Ganondorf, who himself is an exception even when compared to other clone characters.

And remember: just because there is a situation like Ganondorf, it doesn't mean it will happen again. And it probably won't.

Ganondorf's status as a Falcon clone is the result of a very specific situation in Melee's development. They already had a model (from the SpaceWorld 2000 Zelda tech demo), but didn't have time to make new animations and, since he had to be a clone if he were to be added, they picked the character whose animations best worked with Ganondorf's model. Said character happened to be Captain Falcon.

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros. set to release in December 4th in Europe.
So, in the same day as Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Well, if I had to choose one of the two, I'd pick XCX in a heartbeat. But that's just me.

Could be security updates considering how broken their online infrastructure is now. People were able to data mine stuff off their servers. That's a big deal.
So, this could mean RIP data mining off Nintendo's servers.

They probably don't want another situation like Roy and Ryu in June.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Shin Megami Tensei IV is on sale.

Is it worth getting?

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
That never really crossed my mind up until this point, but I definitely agree. It's pretty obvious they're padding out the wait for Zelda Wii U, and this includes Triforce Heroes.

Sunshine definitely could use an HD re-release, beyond Splatoon content though, I think it'd be a great chance to fix some of the glitches and camera issues that made the game unbearable at times (though not as much as 64 IMO).

I'd also like to give a shout out to F-Zero GX getting a HD re-release. If Miyamoto is out of ideas anyway just update the graphics, add online play, and allow Amiibo support (Falcon unlocks the AX tracks?).

:4falcon:
They should also do an HD remake of Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, and as a bonus release it with a Pious Augustus amiibo.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
On a completely unrelated note.

I must commend people like Stealth.

For the apparently large amount of people who know the next two characters, the public knows bub-kiss.

Gotta admire the self control.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

For the apparently large amount of people who know the next two characters, the public knows bub-kiss.

And he still hasn't said anything about the second character, other than the fact that he knows of a second character. So guesses on the second character?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Why do people keep saying this? Even a cursory glance is enough to see the two models are completely different.
Sakurai himself said so.

Translation:
“There’s a Ganondorf model that was featured in (Arbitrarily called) “Legend of Zelda: GC Real Type” which was shown off. “Real Type” never came out, but we ported him to Smash Brothers: Melee so I guess you can say that the real Ganondorf is still alive.”

Note: “The Legend of Zelda: GC Real Type” is the name of the demo shown at SpaceWorld 2000.

And from Ganondorf's profile on the official Melee website:
Sakurai said:
The descent of the supreme ruler. Ganondorf!

Ganondorf is the human form of the final boss of “The Legend of Zelda”, “Ganon”. His first appearance is in “The Ocarina of Time.”

Ganondorf was a very lucky character [to get in].

To be honest, I had no plans to bring Ganondorf to Smash, but because of various convenience circumstances, I decided to include him in the battle.

(I received the model, the traits were clearly defined, the body proportions matched Captain Falcon, and above else his popularity was high.)

If you play as him, you will quickly understand but above else he is stolid, and feels extremely heavy. In that regard, his strong points is that his offensive ability is very high, and because he is heavy he is very hard to knock off [the stage]. Ganondorf is all about brute force, while Captain Falcon is more focused on technique.

Once again, I made another character that clearly shows their strong and weak points….
I did research on Ganondorf's inclusion in Smash Bros. and why he's a Falcon clone in the first place: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/07/ganondorf-smash-bros/

If Sakurai says the model is the same as the SpaceWorld 2000 demo and he received it for the development team to use (probably Nintendo sent the model to HAL), then it's a fact that Ganondorf's model in Melee and the SpaceWorld 2000 demo are one and the same.

Of course, they may appear different due to different lighting settings and it's possible the textures might have been tweaked a bit to better fit with Melee's art direction, but that doesn't change the fact Sakurai used the SpaceWorld 2000 model in Melee.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Bruh.

More plushies/ cushions :awesome:

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
And he still hasn't said anything about the second character, other than the fact that he knows of a second character. So guesses on the second character?
Pretty sure he said on the Faqs thread that Shovel Knight was "Interesting" and that Wolf "Wasn't even in the running" or something close to that.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

Not at all. I realize this is hypocritical (though I learned my lessons) but being an attention seeking teaser isn't to be commended.

There's lots of people I admire and think should be commended when it comes to leaks. Those who seek the truth in the name of journalism, those who know something but don't go blabbing about it. Heck, if you are going to blab about it, be like Tama and at least man up, don't string people along because then you're likely to hurt a lot of people, and yourself as well.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm starting to wonder (assuming they really do know who these characters are) if there may be some controversial character in the works and these guys are just trying to keep quiet without causing a storm......

Then again, they probably already did by teasing around like that...... :/

Don't really know very much about this whole thing though since I've been busy for a while so I'm not sure if they stated any more besides them claiming that they know the next character('s?).....

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm thinking about getting Yokai watch

But it's the same deal for me as, like LBX

Only would really get it after a price decrease

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Sakurai himself said so.

Translation:
“There’s a Ganondorf model that was featured in (Arbitrarily called) “Legend of Zelda: GC Real Type” which was shown off. “Real Type” never came out, but we ported him to Smash Brothers: Melee so I guess you can say that the real Ganondorf is still alive.”

Note: “The Legend of Zelda: GC Real Type” is the name of the demo shown at SpaceWorld 2000.

And from Ganondorf's profile on the official Melee website:

I did research on Ganondorf's inclusion in Smash Bros. and why he's a Falcon clone in the first place: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/07/ganondorf-smash-bros/

If Sakurai says the model is the same as the SpaceWorld 2000 demo and he received it for the development team to use (probably Nintendo sent the model to HAL), then it's a fact that Ganondorf's model in Melee and the SpaceWorld 2000 demo are one and the same. Of course, they may appear different due to different lighting settings and it's possible the textures might have been tweaked a bit to better fit with Melee's art direction, but that doesn't change the fact Sakurai used the SpaceWorld 2000 model in Melee.
They're not the same at all, though. Like, I get it, 'Sakurai said so.' But I mean, you don't even have to be a 3D modeler to see the difference.

Look, here, let's just break this down.

(Given the age of these images, this is as high res as it gets. Nevertheless it serves the purpose we need it to. Obviously the melee trophy is an alt color, so those color differences aren't actually differences.)

A. The geometry and texture on his forehead jewel is different. Specifically, on the tech model, the bottom shape is two perfect circles on either side of a cylinder. On the melee model, it's three cylinders, with the smalls one coming off the main one at an angle.
B. Eyebrow geometry is obviously different. Much thicker and more pronounced on the melee model.
C. Super pronounced lower eyelids on the Tech model not found on the Melee one.
D. Ear texture and geometry is different. Funnily enough, the melee model has *more* polygons here.
E. The pauldrons are larger on the Tech model, and it has a different, leather texture that isn't found on the Melee model. It's particularly odd that the pauldrons have a simpler texture on the Melee model as...
F. The situation is reversed on the arms. Very flat texture on the Tech demo, but a canvas-like texture on the Melee one.
G. The accents on the Tech demo model are physical 3D objects (easier to see on the bottom image), while they're simply painted on on the Melee model.
H. The arm textures are completely different.
I. The belt is a physical 3D model on the Tech demo, while it's painted on on the Melee model.
J. The Sword model is different, too, even though it only exists on the completely static Melee trophy model and is never used in-game. This is most obvious on the hilt. The crossguard is modeled on the Tech model, but painted on the Melee one.

Whatever Sakurai claims, it's clearly an exaggeration of the truth.

Last edited:

Chrono.

I'm guessing he did take the Spaceworld model and made the Melee model based on it rather than literally using it.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
I'm thinking about getting Yokai watch

But it's the same deal for me as, like LBX

Only would really get it after a price decrease
if you can find it because the only way you would be able to find a copy cheaper than the 40$ asking price is through black friday

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose I wouldn't be too surprised if he modified the Spaceworld model in order to make sure it didn't look out of place in Melee. Especially since the overall design of the Spaceworld demo and Melee are pretty different. With Melee being a bit more bright and colourful and all....

That's what I think at least.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Not at all. I realize this is hypocritical (though I learned my lessons) but being an attention seeking teaser isn't to be commended.

There's lots of people I admire and think should be commended when it comes to leaks. Those who seek the truth in the name of journalism, those who know something but don't go blabbing about it. Heck, if you are going to blab about it, be like Tama and at least man up, don't string people along because then you're likely to hurt a lot of people, and yourself as well.
Not to mention the possibility that the actual reason all this stuff has been so easy to keep a secret is because the real secret is he doesn't himself know. Granted, it's possible he's been leaked info, but at the same time he may have told us only as much as his source told him already. And of course, it's possible he just made everything up for attention too.

Thing is, seems to me that he's the only one of this rumor spreaders that has even given out any scant details. Roger hasn't actually said anything and hasn't even confirmed that he has the same info as Stealth. It could be he doesn't even know if he has the same info. Only thing they share is a time frame.

The other leakers that have shared anything could very well be bandwagons too. We can't know for sure. The rumor got messy and enough people got frustrated with it's vagueness and safeness and the general teasing that they've started mocking the whole situation with they're own variations on the rumor just for kicks.

I remain justifiably skeptical of the whole thing.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They're not the same at all, though. Like, I get it, 'Sakurai said so.' But I mean, you don't even have to be a 3D modeler to see the difference.

(Given the age of these images, this is as high res as it gets. Nevertheless it serves the purpose we need it to. Obviously the melee trophy is an alt color, so those color differences aren't actually differences.)

A. The geometry and texture on his forehead jewel is different. Specifically, on the tech model, the bottom shape is two perfect circles on either side of a cylinder. On the melee model, it's three cylinders, with the smalls one coming off the main one at an angle.
B. Eyebrow geometry is obviously different. Much thicker and more pronounced on the melee model.
D. Ear texture and geometry is different. Funnily enough, the melee model has *more* polygons here.
E. The pauldrons are larger on the Tech model, and it has a different, leather texture that isn't found on the Melee model. It's particularly odd that the pauldrons have a simpler texture on the Melee model as...
F. The situation is reversed on the arms. Very flat texture on the Tech demo, but a canvas-like texture on the Melee one.
G. The accents on the Tech demo model are physical 3D objects (easier to see on the bottom image), while they're simply painted on on the Melee model.
I. The belt is a physical 3D model on the Tech demo, while it's painted on on the Melee model.
J. The Sword model is different, too, even though it only exists on the completely static Melee trophy model and is never used in-game. This is most obvious on the hilt. The crossguard is modeled on the Tech model, but painted on the Melee one.

I don't think it's a surprise the texture is different

The model being simplified is also not very surprising.

They could have used the tech demo as a base and altered it to fit in with the game

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I suppose I wouldn't be too surprised if he modified the Spaceworld model in order to make sure it didn't look out of place in Melee. Especially since the overall design of the Spaceworld demo and Melee are pretty different. With Melee being a bit more bright and colourful and all....

That's what I think at least.
Realistically, using the Tech demo model wasn't an option, because it was prerendered to look like what the Gamecube could handle, and not an actual demonstration of what it did handle. In most examples, the Melee model is simpler than the tech demo one, because I doubt the game could have even rendered the tech one as it existed in that video. The trophy models never move, they're not beholden to the same poly limits as the game itself, and even they couldn't handle the full resolution sword found in the tech demo.

I don't think it's a surprise the texture is different

The model being simplified is also not very surprising.

They could have used the tech demo as a base and altered it to fit in with the game
It's extremely hard to tell how different the body geometry is given the dark lighting, dark texture and low res images, but the face isn't just simplified, it's completely rebuilt from the ground up. In some ways it's actually more complex than the tech demo one. Nothing about it is the same.

The design is clearly the same, as both models differ from the OoT design in the same way (most obviously the long flowing cape and sword, neither of which existed in OoT), but the fact remains that enough work was done on constructing a new model, even if it is only a heavily altered one, that more effort and time was put into Ganondorf than is implied by the articles Frost is quoting.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Okay, they're not exactly the same, you got a valid point there, but my point remains the same: they did use the SpaceWorld 2000 demo as a base for the Melee one. It's likely an edited version to better work in Melee rather than an entirely new model.

I never denied they could have altered the model to better run in Melee and better fit with the art direction, but that doesn't change the fact that they ported the SpaceWorld model into Melee in the first place.

The point is: the existence of the SpaceWorld demo is what allowed Ganondorf to be in Melee since the model was ported, making development easier and faster. Even though the models are different, the body shape remains the same, which is what matters most in regards to animation.

I do concede the fact the models are different. Thanks for pointing out the differences.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It is true that rebuilding a model from the ground up is a bit easier if there is already an existing model to work with. I had an easier time making an high poly model of Wind Waker Zelda than Wario Ware Mona or Professer Layton's Flora as the former already had an existing 3D model for me to work with while the other two didn't which I had to then base off any existing artwork I could find.

Which would make sense if Sakurai borrowed the Spaceworld model in order to build a Melee friendly version of Ganondorf to work over Captain Falcon.

At least based off my experience of 3D modelling that is..... ^^;

Last edited:

Strofirko

Smash Master
The most surprising thing for me this week is people complaining about region lock on triforce heroes multiplayer,unless you want to lag as crap and ruin the game in coop mode for someone on the other side of the planet,I suggest you to go on.

Chrono.

The most surprising thing for me this week is people complaining about region lock on triforce heroes multiplayer,unless you want to lag as crap and ruin the game in coop mode for someone on the other side of the planet,I suggest you to go on.
>people complaining
>surprising

Pick one :p

In all seriousness though I think people are just tired of the region locking bs, Nintendo's got plenty of other games that aren't region locked and run just fine.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, sometimes the problem lies more on the Internet connection rather than the distance.

I've played 2v2 Smash 3DS matches with people in Japan with almost no lag.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
It is true that rebuilding a model from the ground up is a bit easier if there is already an existing model to work with. I had an easier time making an high poly model of Wind Waker Zelda than Wario Ware Mona or Professer Layton's Flora as the former already had a 3D model for me to work with while the other two didn't which I had to then base off any existing artwork I could find.

Which would make sense if Sakurai borrowed the Spaceworld model in order to build a Melee friendly version of Ganondorf to work over Captain Falcon.

At least based off my experience of 3D modelling that is..... ^^;
In my experience, it's always been faster to start over from scratch than attempt to alter an existing mesh. Though I'll confess I don't know how they did things back in 2001.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In my experience, it's always been faster to start over from scratch than attempt to alter an existing mesh. Though I'll confess I don't know how they did things back in 2001.
No, I meant rebuilding from the ground up by starting from scratch, not altering the existing model. As in, use the existing model in order to get a good idea of its overall structure and then work on a new model around it.

I suppose its no real different from using a concept artwork pointing to the front and side view. But I suppose with an existing model you have a better idea on where to place the vertices etc.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
so there was a goose bumps point and click game released recently and is from what ive seen so far chock full of refrences
(ive seen the beast from the east, monster blood, slappy, and a couple call outs to classic goosebumps books like the haunted car, my hariest adventure ect)

.....what i figure id change the subject form ganondorfs model from melee.....because its really going nowherefast

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Eh... I'm just going to say it. I think in terms of a safe guess, the 2nd character is Shovel Knight. Not because of bias, but just that it lines up with the other rumor.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Eh... I'm just going to say it. I think in terms of a safe guess, the 2nd character is Shovel Knight. Not because of bias, but just that it lines up with the other rumor.
If TheAnvil (did he? Not up to date on this.) heard the other character and believed Stealth, it's probably not Shovel Knight. :V

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
No, I meant rebuilding from the ground up by starting from scratch, not altering the existing model. As in, use the existing model in order to get a good idea of its overall structure and then work on a new model around it.

I suppose its no real different from using a concept artwork pointing to the front and side view. But I suppose with an existing model you have a better idea on where to place the vertices etc.
Well, I don't even use front or side view images when I model, so...

I made that Mega Mewtwo model in about six hours back when all we had was a single picture of it and I don't even do this professionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom