• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The logic for Smash is basically:
- DLC comes in patches
- DLC is produced and released after the base game
- DLC must be paid in order to compensate those production costs

DLC is only included in patches due to compatibility issues when playing online.

The problem with on-disc DLC is exactly that: the base game is released with all the DLC already in the data, just behind a paywall.

With Smash, you could say it's on-patch DLC, but those patches have only been released after the game was released. It's add-on content in the true meaning of the term. It didn't exist (or was in early production phases, i.e. not ready for sale) when the game was released.

And pretty much what Naoshi Naoshi said just above.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I've heard about Inafune's shoddy stuff before leaving, regardless of whether he did good things, shoddy stuff us still shoddy
How much of that is actual fact, and how much of it is Capcom PR?

The attitude towards him and Capcom have flipped over the past few years:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469556

Just because Inafune has made a lot of poor decisions recently, doesn't mean he was the cause of almost any of Capcoms problems.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
He's also the only reason that there were 3 Megaman games in development and why games like Lost Planet and Dead Rising were made.
Oh you mean a Lost Planet series which went to crap after the second game which was the best of the series because he wanted more a Gears of War type of game and ended up with an awful game like Lost Planet 3

That Lost Planet?
Dead Rising was a series I thank him for because Frank West is an incredible character.

Chrono.

We were so focused on Shovel Knight and Rayman for the 3rd Parties that Black Frost completely slipped away on us.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
The logic for Smash is basically:
- DLC comes in patches
- DLC is produced and released after the base game
- DLC must be paid in order to compensate those production costs

DLC is only included in patches due to compatibility issues when playing online.

The problem with on-disc DLC is exactly that: the base game is released with all the DLC already in the data, just behind a paywall.

With Smash, you could say it's on-patch DLC, but those patches have only been released after the game was released. It's add-on content in the true meaning of the term. It didn't exist (or was in early production phases, i.e. not ready for sale) when the game was released.

And pretty much what Naoshi Naoshi said just above.
Wasn't Mewtwo supposedly planned to be in the base game at the tail-end of development according to the ESRB Leaks, but then was just chosen as a gift instead for people who bought both versions so they could work on him without delaying the game?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Oh you mean a Lost Planet series which went to crap after the second game which was the best of the series because he wanted more a Gears of War type of game and ended up with an awful game like Lost Planet 3

That Lost Planet?
Dead Rising was a series I thank him for because Frank West is an incredible character.
I just want to point out the I'm not even really trying to defend Inafune.

I just think it's hilarious that people think all of Capcom's problem were because of him.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Also, I must say it was a smart decision to include the Duck Hunt stage on the 3DS for free.

It likely took little to no resources to make, given it's just a port from the Wii U version.

Speaking of that stage, the title of the Duck Hunt Medley in the European version has a redundancy given it's titled "Duck Hunt Medley (Duck Hunt)". If it's a Duck Hunt Medley, of course it would be from Duck Hunt. The "(Duck Hunt)" suffix is unnecessary, as if there was a Duck Hunt Medley from another game. It makes sense when there are multiple songs with the same name but from different games, as is the case of the Ground Themes from the several Mario games or the Final Destination themes from previous Smash games.

Wasn't Mewtwo supposedly planned to be in the base game at the tail-end of development according to the ESRB Leaks, but then was just chosen as a gift instead for people who bought both versions so they could work on him without delaying the game?
Don't know. Mewtwo seemed to be in early development when the announcement was made in October of the last year. After all, they could only show the models.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I don't recall the ESRB leaks mentioning Mewtwo outside of the fact he might be possible as DLC. He was definitely not a finished character though. By the time we got the Wii U 50 Facts Direct, they told us that he's not ready to be shown yet since they're still working on him.

Theory: I'd wager they originally had some things done for Mewtwo for the base game, but didn't have the time to get anywhere with him and decided to work on him post-launch (but there's also more likely chance he wasn't worked on at all before the 3DS's release). Usually when you finish a product, you have to spend a lot of time polishing up, testing things before doing the final build on the product for shipment. (And not to mention getting ESRB ratings/approval). That process is pretty long. So all focus was on that while the rest of the Mewtwo DLC was post-production.

Last edited:

Chrono.

I doubt Mewtwo was worked on before the games were finished, especially since it's implied he was in a very early stage of development during the Direct.

There's also how all the DLC we've gotten for free so far has been stuff they were working on before the games were done (DH stage on the 3DS, Tournament, Replay upload, Miiverse)

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
It does not matter if the DLC was included with the update behind the paywall. That is not any different than buying DLC content and having to download it separately from the update. The only difference is that you're going to have to sit and wait for more downloads to be done which is needlessly tedious and pointless when all of that can be done in a single update. It makes far more sense and far more convenient to have the DLC update to come with the patch. And in a game like Smash, having it so you can't encounter anyone with fighters you haven't bought would only fragment the userbase terribly.

And here's a massive difference between SF X Tekken's on-disc DLC and Smash Bros's on-update DLC.

One was developed during the pre-launch phase (which is content being developed just like any other normal non-DLC content) and was cut up into pieces behind paywall. Obviously nickle and diming for the sake of it. No matter how you look at it. All of the content that was made there was done before anyone bought the game. The content is literally pieces of the base game locked behind paywall.

Another was content in development after launch which requires additional developmental resource. They've already spent so much making the base game. DLC being made after launch while being also paid makes a lot of sense. It's not nickle and diming, they're selling content that they've used addition resources to create. They have to make up for the costs, they don't come cheap you know.

Now can we stop saying Smash Bros's DLC content is as bad as SF X Tekken's? Because that is not even a good comparison at all. Seriously.
The only thing I feel is unreasonable about Smash DLC is the pricing of Mii costumes, although the lack of discounts on bundles does bother me.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I doubt Mewtwo was worked on before the games were finished, especially since it's implied he was in a very early stage of development during the Direct.

There's also how all the DLC we've gotten for free so far has been stuff they were working on before the games were done (DH stage on the 3DS, Tournament, Replay upload, Miiverse)
Well, I feel it's still possible Mewtwo was planned to be in the base game at the end of development, but they moved him to be DLC due to time constraints.

Last edited:

Chrono.

The only thing I feel is unreasonable about Smash DLC is the pricing of Mii costumes, although the lack of discounts on bundles does bother me.
A season pass really would've done wonders for Smash, since it's getting so much stuff.

kylexv

Smash Master
All I know is that leak had a "?" over Mewtwo.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Also, I must say it was a smart decision to include the Duck Hunt stage on the 3DS for free.
I agree.
Even though I would've payed for it anyway since Duck Hunt is my favorite Wii U Stage
When's Balloon Fight for free in Wii U and a 3DS-exclusive DLC Stage

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I think they did some of the setups for DLC around December but sometime after all versions of the Wii U game was released (remember Japan didn't get Smash Wii U until early December)

Plus Sakurai does take some time off in December for the holidays and around January was the start of meat of the development. They probably had a deal for arty with Capcom around November-December of last year.

I think Lucas probably had some issues that saved him for when Roy/Ryu came out.

So my main process is this, the next character they probably worked on was my guess during May/June/July if it's pre-ballot and post-ballot must have started earlier than the ballot originally ended. Possibly late August-late September.

Now this is just speculation and theory so don't take it too far

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
My ideal Ice Climbers reboot would be equal parts Zelda adventure puzzle solving and Banjo style exploring/collecting, but with an emphasis on bilateral problem solving involving both characters, like something out of Brothers or Guardian of Light.

You needn't stray too far from the snow theme, I think. Most video games shove all the ice tropes into a single level, but there's all sorts of wildly different environments that are covered in snow and ice.

I think there's plenty to work with.
I'm glad someone else sees the potential in an Ice Climber reboot.
Like the two games you suggested, I think the game should be more atmospheric to give the feeling of actual mountain climbing.
...Are some of these pictures real??

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I've said before that the Ice Climbers would work really well in both a Joe and Mac style 2D platformer/action game, and a 3D collectathon platformer.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
So it was still basically done but they held it as DLC? Because that's no better...
I'm looking through the older posts to be sure, so I may be mistaken on a couple things, but overall it seems the answer is mostly no. As TehEpicAnna said, most of it was incomplete, you did have some elements that were complete, but there were still aspects that we didn't find out on until the actual release of it such as with the third route.

However, there is three notable exceptions to this: The first two are the Witch and Ballistician classes, which were apparently ready to go somewhere around release, so they definitely were withheld, at best having minor tweaks done to them. In slight fairness, they do give out one of either class for free through the DLC so you can get one for your preferred character, but you still have to buy it in full if you want a Witch army, or if you want to get gender exclusive skills like Warp on all of your characters.

The final one is the most annoying of the bunch:

From what I can tell, she was pretty much complete. We knew everything about her from support data to her skinship model, and we still didn't have her in the complete game and you have to buy her. So far, she's the only character that falls into that trap, but considering how popular she is, it's very annoying that they pulled that stunt with her.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm looking through the older posts to be sure, so I may be mistaken on a couple things, but overall it seems the answer is mostly no. As TehEpicAnna said, most of it was incomplete, you did have some elements that were complete, but there were still aspects that we didn't find out on until the actual release of it such as with the third route.

However, there is three notable exceptions to this: The first two are the Witch and Ballistician classes, which were apparently ready to go somewhere around release, so they definitely were withheld, at best having minor tweaks done to them. In slight fairness, they do give out one of either class for free through the DLC so you can get one for your preferred character, but you still have to buy it in full if you want a Witch army, or if you want to get gender exclusive skills like Warp on all of your characters.

From what I can tell, she was pretty much complete. We knew everything about her from support data to her skinship model, and we still didn't have her in the complete game and you have to buy her. So far, she's the only character that falls into that trap, but considering how popular she is, it's very annoying that they pulled that stunt with her.
Dude. It's ****ing Anna. Of course she'd charge you for this ****

A money obsessed character making you pay? why am i not surprised. :troll:

EDIT Anna hasn't left behind every part of greninja. . .

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Speaking of that stage, the title of the Duck Hunt Medley in the European version has a redundancy given it's titled "Duck Hunt Medley (Duck Hunt)". If it's a Duck Hunt Medley, of course it would be from Duck Hunt. The "(Duck Hunt)" suffix is unnecessary, as if there was a Duck Hunt Medley from another game. It makes sense when there are multiple songs with the same name but from different games, as is the case of the Ground Themes from the several Mario games or the Final Destination themes from previous Smash games.
I dunno....
It could be referring to "Duck Hunt Medley" from Xenoblade Chronicles.......

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
This is why Awakening Anna is better than Fates Anna.

You get Anna for free and is probably best supports she has in the game (she has the best S-Support out of all of the girls aside from maybe Sumia) and is the best unit in the game and will give you the best Morgan in the game.

Fates Anna is pretty good but even then, her stats and skillset isn't worth the price. It fits her character but isn't overall the best.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Out of the 200 Yokai I researched in the Yokai Land app, I don't see one based on that creature.
inb4 Kamen Rider Ghost crossover because that's where I heard Kamaitachi
This is why Awakening Anna is better than Fates Anna.

You get Anna for free and is probably best supports she has in the game (she has the best S-Support out of all of the girls aside from maybe Sumia) and is the best unit in the game and will give you the best Morgan in the game.

Fates Anna is pretty good but even then, her stats and skillset isn't worth the price. It fits her character but isn't overall the best.
highest growths tho
I agree Awakening Anna's better though, love the jester outfit

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Chrono.

Is the photo from the same leak?
It kinda looks like a SF4 mod, imo. He looks kinda lackluster for a SFV mod.
Besides that, I think they'd drastically redesign him in this game.
No lol, that's the new NY stage

There were some reports that Alex was the BG character, so someone took a closer look and the reports were right.

Last edited:

Chrono.

I'm like 70% sure Alex won't wear the jacket during battle, especially since one of his intro animations in 3 was ripping his shirt off.

It'd be cool if he did the same with the jacket if he were playable lol

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No lol, that's the new NY stage

There were some reports that Alex was the BG character, so someone took a closer look and the reports were right.
It's from the new stage.
I forgot
he was
on a stage...
That explains why it looked like SF4...it was a background model. >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom