• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

Looking at Sakurai's official critera for third-party characters, mostly number 3 (though 1 may not help that much), the Shovel Knight rumour seems less and less believable. How the heck does one game that hasn't even sold 1 million copies qualify as carrying game history with them?
Maybe he's a little more forgiving than we think?

I mean he did consider James Bond for Melee and his history with Nintendo back then was a well received liscenced game on the N64.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Maybe he's a little more forgiving than we think?

I mean he did consider James Bond for Melee and his history with Nintendo back then was a well received liscenced game on the N64.
One of, the most well received licensed games which actually popularized the shooter genera on Nintendo platforms, then again I belive the only reasons that Mr. Bond wasn't in Melee was licencing issues with 20th Century Fox and troubles with getting the likeness to the actor.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Looking at Sakurai's official critera for third-party characters, mostly number 3 (though 1 may not help that much), the Shovel Knight rumour seems less and less believable. How the heck does one game that hasn't even sold 1 million copies qualify as carrying game history with them?
So what you're saying is Knight is out, Genie is in right? :troll:
*shot*
I suppose in the long run, it just depends how strong the other criteria resonates in said character. I doubt it's all 100% certified gospel that all the criteria has to be perfect... but it's a valid point regardless. I hate to keep playing the "wait and see" card, but... we just have to wait and see. =P

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Does anyone think that Mr. Bond is an eligible candidate for Smash Bros. still?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So what you're saying is Knight is out, Genie is in right? :troll:
*shot*
I suppose in the long run, it just depends how strong the other criteria resonates in said character. I doubt it's all 100% certified gospel that all the criteria has to be perfect... but it's a valid point regardless. I hate to keep playing the "wait and see" card, but... we just have to wait and see. =P
Does this mean that there's...A Genie in the house? I remember that show being dumb
Also, don't his movies include some parts that are a bit, naughty? :awesome:
OctoPushy and Swamp Bond confirmed. Besides, Lucina existed solely because someone did the bouncy bouncy with Chrom

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I mean if shovel knight gets in it'll be because of the ballot maybe sakurai will put his beliefs aside to give the fans what they want.if the characters from now on really are fanservice than shovel knight could fit that bill

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Does this mean that there's...A Genie in the house? I remember that show being dumb

OctoPushy and Swamp Bond confirmed. Besides, Lucina existed solely because someone did the bouncy bouncy with Chrom
At least that happened off-screen, if you know what I mean. :smirk: "Better get a room for you two."

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So I suppose since we need a proper discussion topic...

If your top-pick was to make it into Smash, what would your "Dream Trailer" for them be? As in, what would happen in the trailer, assuming it was in the calibur of Shulk's, Bowser Jr's or Robin's or Palutena's or whoever.

...I have to think a bit more about my own question before I can answer. =P

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

If your top-pick was to make it into Smash, what would your "Dream Trailer" for them be? As in, what would happen in the trailer, assuming it was in the calibur of Shulk's, Bowser Jr's or Robin's or Palutena's or whoever.

Sylux gets to re-enact it's segment in the Hunters intro against some poor chap like Luigi or a Mii in a Federation Force costume.

Let me dream.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Are we allowed to do it for two characters at once Robin/Lucina style?

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Are we allowed to do it for two characters at once Robin/Lucina style?
If they have relevance to each other sure.

Hush, if someone from Wayforward hears about this, they'll link it on Twitter and use it as evidence that Shantae will be in Smash.
Oh lord please no, anywhere but WAYFORWARD'S Twitter D:. I love those guus, but there are some levels of hell even the worst of mankind doesn't deserve....

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Don't make me report this post Spazzy. Kotaku is the devil

King Dedede is getting his ass kicked and his enemies get sent flying by throwing spears. 'Bandana Dee waddles in!' que montage and then BDee and Dedede dance stupidly DUH END

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ok then...

Great Fox on Corneria when suddenly "Playtime's over, Star Fox" and Wolf lands on the ship

WOLF claws in!

Footage of Wolf before cutting back to CGI with Wolf fighting Fox and Falco. As Wolf's about to Smash Fox, FIRE BOLT. Falco: "About time you showed up"

KRYSTAL forsees victory.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I have a question. Why do people still like Ubisoft? Just curious as they're pretty scummy
People still hate them but Konami is currently the biggest hate magnet. Especially if you hate Pachinko.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I have a question. Why do people still like Ubisoft? Just curious as they're pretty scummy
It all just depends on your personal views, attachment to franchises and level of tolerance. I mean, if I weren't such a Nintendo-holic I probably wouldn't be standing for some of the stuff they do.
The way I see it, if people can defend Konami, anyone can still be loved. =P

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
People still hate them but Konami is currently the biggest hate magnet. Especially if you hate Pachinko.
Man, Capcom should send Konami a nice gift basket with a thank you note. Remember when they were everyone's favorite Japanese dev punching bag?

Pachislot Contra and Pachinko Castlevania is a bigger sin that on disk DLC, it seems.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Bioware are pretty scummy themselves.

"Epilogue DLC" my ***.
Pretty sure EA had something to do with that
Man, Capcom should send Konami a nice gift basket with a thank you note. Remember when they were everyone's favorite Japanese dev punching bag?

Pachislot Contra and Pachinko Castlevania is a bigger sin that on disk DLC, it seems.
Er...Wouldn't Comcept be a better example? Capcom's trying to get their heads together. Outside of the latest Resident Evil announcement anyway iirc. The gaming industry has gone to **** sadly, every big name publisher has controversies, though the console market seems to be doing a bit better in that regard, I can actually respect Microsoft as of late too

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I mean if shovel knight gets in it'll be because of the ballot maybe sakurai will put his beliefs aside to give the fans what they want.if the characters from now on really are fanservice than shovel knight could fit that bill
Hmmm... yeah, both Shove Knight and Shantae are really popular choices in the west, so both would make sense in that regard and they both have the appeal to win over the Japanese fanbase in the end. Both are two sides of the same coin and together, they can represent something more than themselves- the impact indies have on video gaming. On the one hand, you have Shantae, an old school candidate that has been around since the Game Boy era but has then risen to be one of the most beloved indie character among the Western Smash fanbase. On the other hand, you have Shove Knight, who, despite being very new, and some would say too new, has made a massive impact in the indie community due to just how well-received his game was, selling around 700k at this point and he even got his own amiibo, demonstrating the bright future he has due to the continued Nintendo support he will be getting. In that regard, no other indie character matches him. Sure, you can have one or the other to represent the growing indie scene, but wouldn't it please more fans in the end if they were both in as DLC? After all, many consider their games "OH SOOOO GOOOOOD"™ and their general designs and appeal really screams like the kinds Nintendo could have made, meaning they would fit in so well with the established Smash cast. And it's not as if they wouldn't contribute more fun and diversity to Smash- Shove Knight has his shovel to use and he can also channel Scrooge McDuck along the way whereas with Shantae, she has her transformations and her hair to make her unlike any other characters. They really do have that classic Nintendo charm about them and both have their merits as Smash fighters, so why not have both in the end? They both have great chances.

And now to see the amount of spit-takes and funny looks I've caused towards me. That said, you gotta admit that if I were a supporter of both of these characters, this is pretty much how I would sound.

Chrono.

Well Capcom did clean up their act eventually.

Old Capcom wouldn't have made all of MH4's DLC free.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Let's be honest here, only people I can see still having any animosity towards Capcom are Megaman fans and Dalkstalkers fans.

And it's mostly the former who will never be satisfied unless it's X9 or Legends 3

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Let's be honest here, only people I can see still having any animosity towards Capcom are Megaman fans and Dalkstalkers fans.

And it's mostly the former who will never be satisfied unless it's X9 or Legends 3
I feel like Capcom's trying to see if the Mega Man franchise genuinely is worth reviving, especially as they're making a tv show and movie iirc. Darkstalkers however might be dead forever. Speaking of Capcom fighting games, wouldn't it be cool if Capcom made a 'Capcom VS whatever' but only Capcom characters? Much less of a hassle for the rights and it could even help revive classics

Chrono.

Darkstalkers was just never that... great (character design aside) and Capcom's half hearted marketing for Resurrection didn't help at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom