• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Here's something to get you thinking. If they had to cut 5 characters who do you think they would be. To make it more challenging you can't name the DLC characters, the 3 clones, or the Miis.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
What Burb said. :)
>Still no Waluigi
Dream, man.
- - - - -
I'm running into an over-abundance of Mario / Dr. Marios that REALLY love their cape.
I mean, c'mon guys, I know I'm Duck Hunt, but do you REALLY have to spam that thing?
It's like the VS Little Mac of FG.
Just sit at the ledge, spam projectiles and shield whenever the Mac draws near.
Dumb tactics.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here's something to get you thinking. If they had to cut 5 characters who do you think they would be. To make it more challenging you can't name the DLC characters, the 3 clones, or the Miis.
Well damn, there goes any likely cut... D:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I can't wait for speculation for the next Smash to begin. People will talk about how no character will be cut because they all deserve to come back just like last time.
And they'll also talk about how three-fifths of the roster will be cut and in the end we'll only lose like five relatively minor characters at the most. Maybe one biggie.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I can't wait for speculation for the next Smash to begin. People will talk about how no character will be cut because they all deserve to come back just like last time.
There was plenty of speculation regarding cuts for SSB4.

Problem is that the ones who were commonly predicted to get cut all ended up returning (Lucario, Ike, Toon Link, Sheik), and by the last few months leading to release, we were left with a pool of remaining characters that people had expected would be back for certain.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Shulk I guess.

For no other reason than a gut feeling and Xenoblade being niche.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Um...

Hm...

:4greninja:
:rosalina: or:4bowserjr:
:4zss:
:4jigglypuff:
:4sheik:

Granted I think they should all stay but if I HAVE to.

D

Deleted member

Palutena, Wii Fit Trainer, Toon Link, ZSS and Sheik
Wait, it's not the ones I would cut and isntead the ones they would cut? Uhh.. I dunno

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
And Roy did not return to the base game
Not only he has no fanbase in the FE community he's also universally hated there
The only popularity he has comes from Smash and he was only brought back as DLC because there was nothing else
Mewtwo didn't return to the base game, either. That makes him the most disposable Pokemon by the same logic, yeah?

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
9.9/10 roster.

Needs Squirtle and Ivysaur and Pichu and a Zelda newcomer.
^ I like this guy.

Japan doesn't like Mother 3. I'm serious.
While that may or may not be true, the difference is that Mother 3 has an insanely positive and vocal (if fairly small in the grand scheme of things) fanbase in the West. Not that I disagree that the claims of Roy not coming back on account of his in-series-fanbase dislike are stupid.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
okay i have hit the first cap on levels uploaded to mario maker
so if you guys have just gotten the game (or haven't played my levels yet)
ill throw a code in a spoiler so you can get access to all 10
9B93-0000-008E-7707

and in terms of dream roster ill just throw it out there

keep all smash 4 characters(dlc included) and changes(no transformations ect ect)
return all cut characters....yes all of them
and ill get back to you when they finish dlc so i know who to add
and while not roster related bring back every stage in smash history

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I like this guy.

While that may or may not be true, the difference is that Mother 3 has an insane (if fairly small in the grand scheme of things) fanbase in the West. Not that I disagree that the claims of Roy not coming back on account of his in-series-fanbase dislike are stupid.
Exactly.

The West loves Mother 3.

Japan loves FE6.

Both are good.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The only FE character I can see getting cut is Roy
Robin and Ike are unique
Lucina has popularity
Roy is a semi clone with a Japanese only game
Lucina, one of Smash 4's most controversial characters for being an exact clone of Marth,
Is more likely to return than one of Smash 4's most beloved and competitively viable characters,
Very funny.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Last time we were in speculation mode I was too reluctant to do this.

I don't want any cuts, but to play along:

Sheik, Greninja, Rosalina, Robin, Palutena

And I like Robin a lot, but anything past Math and Icke was jumping the gunshark a bit.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Mewtwo didn't return to the base game, either. That makes him the most disposable Pokemon by the same logic, yeah?
Well, considering he got into SSB4 via DLC and was low enough on the priority list for Brawl that he ended up getting cut (on a roster that featured every Pokemon from SSB4 except Greninja), it's not really a big leap to think Mewtwo would be in greater danger than the others of getting cut in SSB5.

I don't think it would be deliberate, though, which is sorta the whole point of this argument. I do firmly believe both Mewtwo and Roy will be planned for SSB5's roster, and if they don't make it, it's due to time constraints.

Lucina, one of Smash 4's most controversial characters for being an exact clone of Marth,
Is more likely to return than one of Smash 4's most beloved and competitive viable characters,
Very funny.
Lucina was a last minute addition to the roster.

With the benefit of her being planned, she very likely would be heavily Luigified if she were to return in the next game.

And considering just how popular she's become, I fully expect her to be back.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not in base roster-->disposable
Disposable-->not in base roster
Two different things
Is more likely to return than one of Smash 4's most beloved and competitive viable characters,
Very funny.
Lucina is a very popular character in the FE fanbase, the fact she is CURRENTLY a clone means nothing
Roy was a full clone last time qe saw him
Competitive viability means nothing
Lucina>>>>>Roy
In terms of popularity so, yeah

Chrono.

Tbh if there's cuts in the roster for Smash 5 it will most likely be due to time constraints and that's it

This would automatically make the semi-clones the only ones in danger really. The only completely unique character who has been cut from a roster so far has been Mewtwo (Jiggs did come close though).

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
i was about to say doctor mario and any indie character that makes it into smash, but you had to put those rules up...

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Tbh if there's cuts in the roster for Smash 5 it will most likely be due to time constraints and that's it

This would automatically make the semi-clones the only ones in danger really. The only completely unique character who has been cut from a roster so far has been Mewtwo.
And...Snake...And...Ice Climbers..

:snake::popo:

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

This would automatically make the semi-clones the only ones in danger really. The only completely unique character who has been cut from a roster so far has been Mewtwo (Jiggs did come close though).
Cough cough Snake Ice Climbers Squirtle Ivysaur cough cough

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just found out that the guy who got sued by the Pokemon Company for a Pokemon themed party at PAX this year just recently got his Go Fund Me funded: https://www.gofundme.com/ng5f2ukk

Far out man, not even a C&D. Just got straight up sued.
That's what happens when you sell tickets to something using another company's IP...especially something like this which clashes with the brand's ideology. They don't want Pokemon associated with drinking after all.

He was fine in previous years since he let people in for free, IIRC. This year he got money for tickets.

D

Deleted member

That's implying there are other reasons for a character to be cut
I mean, there is Snake and IC but those are still constraints that can haplen next game
Just found out that the guy who got sued by the Pokemon Company for a Pokemon themed party at PAX this year just recently got his Go Fund Me funded: https://www.gofundme.com/ng5f2ukk

Far out man, not even a C&D. Just got straight up sued.
I can't believe he ended up getting away with it
He was selling tickets for it

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
@Luigi The President has made a convincing argument in his campaign to direct Smash.
However, I will quickly sway you all to #TeamKenith!

Vote for me, and your next Super Smash Bros. game will feature (among other staple features):
---
Classic Mode - An quick arcade-style romp through 8 battles, 3 minigames, and a showdown with Master Hand!

Adventure Mode - Smash your way through various Nintendo worlds, with branching paths leading to different worlds and to the final boss, who changes depending on where you go!

All-Star Gauntlet - A fusion of Event Mode and All-Star! Relive over 50 battles throughout Nintendo's history...and some What-If scenarios that have never been seen before. Get a reward for missions you clear.

Target Test - Each character gets a unique target smashing minigame. Break ten targets to win, using the best of your character's abilities to get them all as fast as possible.

Race to the Platforms - Race to the Finish and Board the Platforms combine! Play this mode with or against friends, racing to touch all the platforms to open the exit to this randomly generated, timed labyrinth.

Multi-Man Smash - 10-man, 100-man, 3 minute, 15 minute, Endless, and Cruel. Take on an army of assorted enemies - each with their own power levels! The weak Mii, the competent Alloys, the strong Wireframes, and deadly Polygons!

Training - Swap between characters and opponents on the fly in this mode and record specific behaviors for the enemy to mimic, so you can practice what to do in specific scenarios. You can also train against Sandbag.

All-Star Smash - A brand new mode where you can select a team of up to 10 characters, with each one representing a single stock!

Online - The environment is a lot more friendly. Name tags can't be used anymore, but you can send a few preselected messages to other players. No nasty messages! You can also choose to match with characters of similar win ratio.

For Glory - This infamous mode is getting revamped - 1-on-1 lets you open or join a room where certain rules can be customized, such as turning on customs.

Smash Meter - Every character has a new power - when they take or give damage, they build up a meter that, when charged, lets you use a Final Smash. There's two levels - Level 2 is your Final Smash, and Level 1 is a smaller, intermediate special attack called a Super Smash. Smash Balls instantly fill the gauge. Both can be turned off. (Ex. Lucario - Super Smash is Mega Lucario, Final Smash is Aura Storm)

Custom Moves - Custom moves are back, but now you can set whatever special move you want to whatever slot you want. You want nothing but fireballs for Mario? You got it!

Skills - Equipment is gone, in its place is the ability to equip characters with a small number of perks that influence gameplay but don't change stats, etc. Smooth landing from aerials, or getting a little HP from direct hits. Certain skills take more slots than others, so you can't get too many great perks.

Challenge Menu - You can obtain any item you want from this vault, whenever you want, as long as you have enough gold. Every unlockable in the game is on display - characters, stages, music, trophies - and you can either find it for yourself, or buy a Golden Hammer and use that to destroy a cage and free the collectible.

---
And of course, I have 106 characters.
...I think I went overboard...

Last edited:

Chrono.

And...Snake...And...Ice Climbers..

:snake::popo:
Cough cough Snake Ice Climbers Squirtle Ivysaur cough cough
Yikes I really need sleep.

But, I'll take a crack at this anyway.
  • Snake is a 3rd Party and his whole deal really seemed like a one time thing, Sakurai (apparently) didn't talk to Kojima at all so it's likely he didn't intend on bringing him back anyway
  • Squirtle and Ivysaur were part of a gimmick, a gimmick that's been completely scrapped. Charizard being the top dog of the 3, it makes sense they were cut (at least for this game)
  • Ice Climbers ran into severe technical difficulties
So yeah, these are 3 special cases.

Mewtwo was not.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Not in base roster-->disposable
Disposable-->not in base roster
Two different things

Lucina is a very popular character in the FE fanbase, the fact she is CURRENTLY a clone means nothing
Roy was a full clone last time qe saw him
Competitive viability means nothing
Lucina>>>>>Roy
In terms of popularity so, yeah
For one thing, the way Roy feels in SSB4 is nothing like Marth, sure, their specials are very similar, but they feel almost nothing alike, and for another, Fire Emblem the Binding Blade is considered a hidden gem in the series, mainly for it's innovative support system, and memorable characters, not to mention lack of series tropes for the first time (an example being that the main character's father doesn't die in the beginning) and it is even being considered for a NA virtual console release at the moment. People really love Roy as a character, heck, at my old school there was a mural with him, Marth, and Link, and on Roy's sword said, "See ya in Brawl!"

Last edited:
@Luigi The President

Smash Meter - Every character has a new power - when they take or give damage, they build up a meter that, when charged, lets you use a Final Smash. There's two levels - Level 2 is your Final Smash, and Level 1 is a smaller, intermediate special attack called a Super Smash. Smash Balls instantly fill the gauge. Both can be turned off. (Ex. Lucario - Super Smash is Mega Lucario, Final Smash is Aura Storm)
RIP competitive smash

Also RIP you and RIP profits

(even though from a casual standpoint it sounds fun. . .)

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Snake and Ice Climbers I can see, but I can't say the same for Squirtle and Ivysaur. They're both equally as iconic as Charizard, and the transformation gimmick didn't kill Charizard. Maybe it's just me, but I think they should come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom