• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I just got Mario Maker a couple days ago. Amazing game (as anyone who has it already knows). I have a few gripes, but nothing major, and nothing that can't be fixed with patches or/or DLC.

One thing that really bugs me is the lack of control customization. I'm an old school Mario gamer and remember using the X button for spin jumps in SMW. I didn't like having to use the R shoulder button for it in NSMB and really hate it in Mario Maker. Why can't the controls be customized? Does this bother anyone else? It's a very minor issue, but it annoys me so much. They'll probably patch it in just as I'm getting comfortable with the new scheme.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Zero actually lost a set before. It was at PAX when it happened. Unless he gets dropped out of a tournament, it doesn't mean jack.
While true, this is the first time he's been sent to losers.

If he loses another match...

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
While true, this is the first time he's been sent to losers.

If he loses another match...
True but unless he runs right into Nairo, Dabuz or ESAM who I believe all 3 are in winners, he ain't losin'.

I'm not gonna be excited until he get bopped out of Losers. But Congrats to SegullJoe repping Sonic.

Better Sonic player than Static Manny

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just got Mario Maker a couple days ago. Amazing game (as anyone who has it already knows). I have a few gripes, but nothing major, and nothing that can't be fixed with patches or/or DLC.

One thing that really bugs me is the lack of control customization. I'm an old school Mario gamer and remember using the X button for spin jumps in SMW. I didn't like having to use the R shoulder button for it in NSMB and really hate it in Mario Maker. Why can't the controls be customized? Does this bother anyone else? It's a very minor issue, but it annoys me so much. They'll probably patch it in just as I'm getting comfortable with the new scheme.
They can be customised, but only in the neu Maria way (whether it's A & X that jump or A & B)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I remember a lot of people thought it was odd that Wario was an unlockable character (and, in fact, the only character to have debuted as a starter that became a secret character afterwards).

However, I wasn't too bothered since he is a secret character in some Mario spin-off titles such as some Mario Golf games and Mario Kart 7, so it's not like it was the first time he was an unlockable character.
You see, I always thought that Smash 4 would be a game that had a previous starter character become unlockable. The only thing was I thought it would be Meta Knight or Ike. Never anticipated Wario. :p

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I mained R.O.B. before it was cool
:shades:
I've mained R.O.B. since I unlocked him in Brawl. He's seriously the only character I can use effectively in that game, and he's also the only character I've won tournaments with (Falco gets an honorable mention - I did need him to deal with a counter-pick during the finals last time).

I've strayed away with Yoshi, but as time goes on I'm starting to favor him more and more in Sm4sh. I might try maining him in a tournament tomorrow and see how it goes.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
How Ironic.
:4sonic: is about to go from the most-hated competitive character (to watch at least) to the all-glorious ZeRo killer.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Your mains can essentially appear out of nowhere.

I remember the first time Ryu was revealed. My hype was through the roof when he was revealed.
His playstyle immediately caught on to me and he was my main ever since. :4ryu:was essentially the character I never knew I wanted :p.
Ryu is actually one of my favorite characters in Smash. His moveset and playstyle just feels so right. He is one of the most played characters in my game. I am very happy Street Fighter II is finally represented in Smash... now if SSB5 would bring in Assist Trophies (maybe Chun-Li) and stages (maybe M. Bison's Thailand stage)

Seeing Pit and Mega Man in Smash made me want Simon Belmont more than I did back in the pre-Brawl days... mainly because of the association with the Captain N cartoon I used to watch when I was little in the late 1980s... but seeing Ryu in Smash made me want Simon even more... mainly because I remember one Christmas in the early 1990s when I first received the SNES with Super Mario World, Street Fighter II and Super Castlevania IV and I used to play them with my older brother.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You see, I always thought that Smash 4 would be a game that had a previous starter character become unlockable. The only thing was I thought it would be Meta Knight or Ike. Never anticipated Wario. :p
We can say the same about Luigi who was the first time in Smash's history that he was on a starter roster.

Thing is I can see majority of the starter newcomers be unlockables in the next game like :4wiifit::4robinm::4palutena::4shulk:& the original 12 will all be on the starting roster for now on

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
View attachment 76327
I guess Zero won't be able to call the character he lost to "broken" because he didn't win the tournament

View attachment 76328
Depends, can we get Fighting with All Our Might too?
Plains of Passage, the Defender and Fight With All Our Might are probably the 3 100% guarented Shovel Knight songs to make it into SK's stage should it ever happen.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Probably the best part are his grab setups. He has two easy kill throws, a projectile that's good at keeping fighters at bay, and also insane recovery. Aerials are also pretty good.

I've always though R.O.B was good, but why don't more people use this character? He seems like top tier material to me.
I know in the Brawl days, a lot of it came down to slotists feeling like he stole the place of their favorite character. He caught a lot of hate back then, and I reveled in it. Nobody bothered practicing with or against him, so they didn't know what to do against him when I rolled him.

He's in a better spot in Sm4sh, and he's sitting at high-mid tier at least. I still think a lot of it comes down to lack of recognition, but he's also prone to being combo'd by the likes of C. Falcon and such. I've been using him as a counter to Pikachu though, and it works surprisingly well. I bet if a pro player catches on and demonstrates this, he'll be promoted to high-tier.

All must bow before the Robo-hoo-hah.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Probably the best part are his grab setups. He has two easy kill throws, a projectile that's good at keeping fighters at bay, and also insane recovery. Aerials are also pretty good.

I've always though R.O.B was good, but why don't more people use this character? He seems like top tier material to me.
Yeah this is overrating R.O.B. quite a bit. Two easy kill throws? Up throw is his only kill throw. Insane recovery? Rob's default recovery is pretty low tier; sure it gets great distance and Rob can recover from any initial blow, but it's really slow while Rob is a huge target and nair's startup is too slow to be dependable for offstage protection. In default Rob is one of the easiest characters to edgeguard, and his recovery is very finite, leaving him highly susceptible to gimps (in customs his recovery gets better with High-Speed Burner, which fixes the speed issue, but it's still not that great as he is even more vulnerable to gimps). And while Rob's nair is amazing and his uair is pretty good too, his other aerials are really lackluster.

Rob is pretty good with a few really good assets, but he isn't anywhere near top tier.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I was quite sad when he got the boot in Wii. But thankfully he had Brawl to keep him alive and fighting :)

I think you got that backwards.

Subspace is canon which means we were destroying his family in subspace.
This also means this R.O.B is most definitely the ancient minister.
And because Subspace is also Canon. It means Sonic actually saved all of Nintendo's Stars by destroying Tabuu.
Let that sink in.
Now if sonic only could save his own company's all stars
:troll:
I've mained R.O.B. since I unlocked him in Brawl. He's seriously the only character I can use effectively in that game, and he's also the only character I've won tournaments with (Falco gets an honorable mention - I did need him to deal with a counter-pick during the finals last time).

I've strayed away with Yoshi, but as time goes on I'm starting to favor him more and more in Sm4sh. I might try maining him in a tournament tomorrow and see how it goes.
I played him quite a lot in brawl as well, I love playing him in brawl, but I sort of played everyone in brawl with no set main, but if I did it probably be R.O.B., pikachu, or pokemon trainer.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Here's gameplay of Marker Man Adventures.

Spoilers: it looks awful

Oh yeah, glyphic! No lie, I actually applied for a job there once right out of college. They're based very close to me. In fact, this was the game they were working on at the time.

...Kinda... glad I didn't get the job, now that I see it.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
ZeRo lost to an Olimar.
He is officially OUT OF THE TOURNAMENT.
:bomb:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So far, I never thought that any of the Smash characters so far has been a very absurd choice. Some had great shock value such as Snake and Wii Fit Trainer.

Also, I always saw Lucina and Dark Pit as potential choices for this game as either alts or clones, especially after the first reveals of actual alt costumes like male Wii Fit Trainer, something further solidified by the different Villager alts. I had extrapolated that it would be possible to have alt costumes to change character name and voices because some of the localized languages would have to distinguish gender for those characters.

And then, Dark Pit was teased. A month later, Lucina was revealed as a clone, with Sakurai stated she was originally meant to be an alt for Marth. It was around this time that Dark Pit support rose somewhat, though there were plenty of detractors.

Ironically, I didn't see this coming for the Koopalings. I don't remember if I ever thought about Alph as a possible Olimar alt, but the reveal didn't surprise me that much.

Khoru

Smash Champion
Plains of Passage, the Defender and Fight With All Our Might are probably the 3 100% guarented Shovel Knight songs to make it into SK's stage should it ever happen.
why though
i on't really see the appeal of any of the boss songs personally

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So...
there's was a Smash Player with a name that shall not be spoken who was facing a Rosalina with Toon Link. Um... okay.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Some guy got the crowd so hype over a :4tlink:.

And his name was *****

(Inb4 Censorship)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So if Shovel Knight is in and follows Ryu's example there'll be two remixes. I'm thinking One medley and one for Plains of Passage.

Chrono.

"Why don't people view eSports as real sports?"

*turns on Big House 5*

"We got player ***** coming up. Don't know who ***** is..."
- Some guy on Twitter

Nintendo are sponsoring this though, wouldn't this be kinda awkward?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom