• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I bolded/underlined my responses
And as stated, if you find it justfiable, why bring it up as an example of a "unnecessary nerf"?

Because it wasnt necessary. Example: I may ubnderstand why the price of something is raised, but it doesnt mean that it was necessary to raise

Except the very lenient shieldstun was one of the most criticized aspects of the game. While I do think people exaggerated the strengths of Smash 4 shields and people get information flatout wrong about them (I've lost count of how many times I seen people say Smash 4 shields regenerate too fast when they regenerate slower than Melee and Brawl shields), they were still really powerful and made most moves unsafe. An increase to shieldstun improves move safety across the board and help tune the game towards more offensive, which is ultimately better for Smash 4's competitive health. We'll have yet to see how it truly affects balance and we can only theorycraft that for now (I personally think it'll be better overall as the slower heavier-hitting characters will get a bigger net benefit, than the already faster more mobile characters who were generally safe already), but the engine change will be for the better regardless.

Thanks. This is much more or less what I was looking for. I actually didnt know so many people were complaining about shield stun. I remember people saying that normal stun didnt last long enough, but not shield stun. Now that change makes much more sense. That said, it never bothered me, but I play Ness so having low shield stun means I can throw you faster. Theoretically it's also a nerf to shield throws, but like you said, it's all theory fighter.

While most of the stuff is on there, the patch notes won't be entirely completed on there after just a day, there are things that get overlooked or isn't shown/apparent in the datamined data. Keep that in mind for future reference (though anyone claiming a non-easily measurable claim not corroborated in the patch notes without hard evidence is 99% likely to be bull****).

Fair enough. I did assume that they did enough testing or at least a more thorough job of compiling information. I'll take that L

Except you didn't say anything about the shield stun in the first place, but just the shield damage reductions, so I addressed those. But moot point now, as I just explained the shield stun increase previously in this post.

My question was why so many changes were made. You answered by saying that the changes were due to a change. :\ But, yeah, you did address it further up.

Explained shield stun and why it's a very positive change, and the slight air dodge/back roll nerfs tie into the greater offensive-tuning point (air dodge especially, as they're the biggest reason offstage is so safe most of the time), while the shield damage changes are completely negligible and won't make any real practical difference compared to last version, so there's nothing there to care about with them.

Personally, I dont think air-dodges were as bad as people made it out to be. They can and will be baited by good players. And since most of the characters I play have terrible recovery (Ness, Mac) I generally stayed closer to the stage and didnt worry much about off stage. That may be one of the reasons I never saw it as a problem.

Arguing about post intent is useless, but that is how your post came off, just like how you may find my posts rude but I have no such intent with them. Regardless, if it was just a "passing thought", it's not any less viable to being questioned.

Arguing intent isnt useless as it sometimes helps people understand the purpose and tone of posts more quickly. If you hadnt said that you never meant to be rude I would never have known and if I hadnt brought up rudeness you'd never know that you came off that way (at least to me). And I do apologize if rudeness wasnt your intent, but some of the phrases you used can easily come off as rude. That said, I never said I couldnt be questioned. Everything and everyone can be questioned. I just want to be questioned politely. If I'm wrong I'm wrong and I'll admit it. If I'm right I don't rub it in.

Annndddd I brought up Luigi there as the only example of a direct nerf in the patch, to show why I found the claims of "unnecessary nerfs" to be unfounded to begin with.

Well I never said that ALL of the changes were unnecessary, just that there were some, so I dont see how you came to that conclusion. I mean I hate Burger King because I think most of their sandwiches suck. Them having one good burger wont change that lol

So YCG is still making arguably ambiguous tweets and people are making stage predictions. Is it safe to assume nothing off note happened

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
We need that Dr. Mario stage that was supposedly cut. Remember the hype for the fake one? The real one would be so much better.
I really wish that was real, it was a great concept!

So Yacht Club finally answered my question.

Make of it what you will.

Not sure anything Smash related would really effect the other retail copies.
If it is tied to smash bros, the only thing I could think of, is having the physical copy gets you something in smash or ties into it in some way. But I'd find it unlikely.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I really wish that was real, it was a great concept!

If it is tied to smash bros, the only thing I could think of, is having the physical copy gets you something in smash or ties into it in some way. But I'd find it unlikely.
I highly doubt it, this isn't PSASBR. And even if a game did that for Smash, I don't think that it would be with an indie game of all things.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Hey! Has anyone noticed there's now a 'Create Highlight Reel' option when you go to upload a replay? Finally, we can upload stuff from replays that were longer than 3 minutes!

(Edit: Well, apparently the game does it all for you and doesn't give you any choice as to what it considers "highlight" material.)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So what are the chances a new character is annouced on saturday
For Street Fighter or Smash?

I mean I don't think it's likely for either.

We probably won't get a comment for the ballot ending.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I highly doubt it, this isn't PSASBR. And even if a game did that for Smash, I don't think that it would be with an indie game of all things.
I doubt it as well but
Buying a physical copy on Splatoon got you Inkling girl and boy costumes and a squid hat
I forgot this was a thing. So it's possible it gets you something. Perhaps they thought it be announced yesterday.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Probably 1% at this point. We don't even know if work has started on characters, and if it hasn't, it could take weeks to properly sort and factor in all the votes
If Shovel Knight is real then he'd already been worked on meaning others would have been as well.

Of course, that's assuming it's real.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If Shovel Knight is real then he'd already been worked on meaning others would have been as well.

Of course, that's assuming it's real.
Theoretically we could even see him on the 3rd. Of course Yacht Club games would have to be awaiting this and it would have to tie into the physical release of SK for this to be true.

D

Deleted member

October 3rd has a 99% chance of having a "The Smash Fighter Ballot is now closed. Thanks for voting in it" tweet
And a 30% chance of getting the announcement of a stream or something else imo

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Theoretically we could even see him on the 3rd. Of course Yacht Club games would have to be awaiting this and it would have to tie into the physical release of SK for this to be true.
It'd have to be around October for the rumor to work.
  • Tama said the next couple of months
  • If they were already working on them, then October is a good month to release them

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
They've been working on more than the released stages and costumes for sure.

Now what character or characters have been in the works is a whole other question.

Chrono.

Going by Lucas' trailer in April, it's safe to assume that him, Roy and Ryu were all being worked on for a long time.

I really doubt they haven't been working on anyone else since June or even before that.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Hopefully Wolf is among the ones in development. I feel he's overdue at this point.

I do wonder that if there's any characters being in development now are being worked on for non-ballot reasons (while having some early ballot influences). For some reason I can sort of see SK getting in more for the whole indie thing Nintendo has been doing as of late than the ballot.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
It'd have to be around October for the rumor to work.
  • Tama said the next couple of months
  • If they were already working on them, then October is a good month to release them
True, I wouldn't be to surprised if he was out by the end of October. Now whether or not he is announced on the third is a different subject. I'd say any kind of announcement video on the 3rd has maybe a 20% chance of happening. I could see a reveal then, but wouldn't be surprised if it didn't show anything other then Sakurai saying thanks for voting! I look forward to showing you more in future!

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I firmly believe, like 99% that they've been working on at least one character for a while now.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I may be the only one to think so, but what if the 6 DLC slots that were added since the beginning of DLC, starting with Mewtwo, then follow Lucas, Roy and then Ryu, taking up the 4 out of 6, and the last two are indeed more preballot fighters. This would explain why we have such a determined set of spaces why before the Ballot really started. And once they reveal the last 2 pre ballot fighters, more spots are added for the final set of characters, being all for the ballot. This could make for a more reasonable choice of action for Sakurai to have made with character's that he may have planned to add in or bring back via DLC.

I could see a surpirse reveal of 2 preballot fighters, and, whether or not Shovel Knight is indeed playable, he could be the first ballot fighter to be announced, in the same vain as Mewtwo was revealed, currently in development, even if they had done much more work then just the model they would show off. Just something I considered that could happen.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I may be the only one to think so, but what if the 6 DLC slots that were added since the beginning of DLC, starting with Mewtwo, then follow Lucas, Roy and then Ryu, taking up the 4 out of 6, and the last two are indeed more preballot fighters. This would explain why we have such a determined set of spaces why before the Ballot really started. And once they reveal the last 2 pre ballot fighters, more spots are added for the final set of characters, being all for the ballot. This could make for a more reasonable choice of action for Sakurai to have made with character's that he may have planned to add in or bring back via DLC.

I could see a surpirse reveal of 2 preballot fighters, and, whether or not Shovel Knight is indeed playable, he could be the first ballot fighter to be announced, in the same vain as Mewtwo was revealed, currently in development, even if they had done much more work then just the model they would show off. Just something I considered that could happen.
I feel this could very easily happen. They could do wolf as well. Then the fire slash comes back and a trailer for Shovel Knight is shown. Sakurai: " While we waited for the ballot to end, we began work on some of the fighters who did really well. Shovel Knight and Wolf will be arriving together soon! Please look forward to more updates!" Then they could announce more content shortly after their release.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I just find it suspicious more now that YCG was so sure of getting an update out tomorrow on the day of the Smash announcement and started talking about Smash, then...just silence on Smash after yesterday, and their announcement they had about retail copies is delayed.

And they hope to get this news out very soon they say.

I'm sure there has to be another reason that they're waiting on, but it still looks a little fishy.

Goddammit I was just about to say that. . . Needless to say I don't think it is unrealistic

Yesterday I got Viridi as a costume
today I lost my phone

Highs and Lows :/

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I did forget to mention this, someone might have already.

We most definitely have some representation at Nintendo from this community now. Though we always did, it's now much more Apparent.

Pirate Ship is the best example we've had all year of direct community feedback influencing the game.

Around Launch that was easily the most "Why didn't they bring this back from Brawl?" stage. The fact that it randomly dropped as DLC is evidence that someone high up is now finally listening to some hardcore fans.

Not to mention the godlike Shield Stun changes.
Speaking of that, have you seen the things Doc has now with Full hop Bair? Freaking ridiculous I tell ya:

Nothing new at all.

Zangief was the only new thing today.
AND PEOPLE SAID HE WASN'T GOING TO BE IN LMAOOO XD :p

Can't wait to hear his theme in SF5.

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Speaking of that, having seen the things Doc has now with Full hop Bair? Freaking ridiculous I tell ya:

And this is why I stook with this man. Looks like I need to keep getting even better with Doc. :4drmario:

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Speaking of that, having seen the things Doc has now with Full hop Bair? Freaking ridiculous I tell ya:

This looks like they tried the "Create highlight reel" feature, which is actually somewhat jank... I'm pretty sure whatever they did messed up normal replays too - the music's cutting in and out of my most recent normal replay, and I think it has to do with the weird cut-to-black stuff it does.

D

Deleted member

This looks like they tried the "Create highlight reel" feature, which is actually somewhat jank... I'm pretty sure whatever they did messed up normal replays too - the music's cutting in and out of my most recent normal replay, and I think it has to do with the weird cut-to-black stuff it does.
Do you know or at least have an idea of how the highlights are chosen? Seems to be the start, exact middle and ending of the battle based on the video

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Do you know or at least have an idea of how the highlights are chosen? Seems to be the start, exact middle and ending of the battle based on the video
I have a hunch that it tries to capture each kill, at the very least, but I've only tried it once.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Apparently Tama thinks K.Rool has a shot now...

His twitter is also no longer private.

I don't mean to bring him up again, but the 180 is interesting.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Glad to see @Opossum as a new moderator here! Should help make things run more smoothly.

I just find it suspicious more now that YCG was so sure of getting an update out tomorrow on the day of the Smash announcement and started talking about Smash, then...just silence on Smash after yesterday, and their announcement they had about retail copies is delayed.

And they hope to get this news out very soon they say.

I'm sure there has to be another reason that they're waiting on, but it still looks a little fishy.
Maybe it's another "enjoy my friend Shulk" situation? Of course we won't know until they actually announce whatever they need to, but it could be an example of Sakurai changing his mind. We will have to wait and see if this is actually the case though.

By the way, I'll be releasing the tentative results of BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 's character poll (only part one) within the next 16 hours.
Vote Here:
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/10/pollsmash4/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom