• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Ivysaur was more unique than people give Credit for:
It Was the only Pokémon to walk on all 4's.
It Was the first and only Pokémon to have a tether recovery.
And it could have really benefited from the new edge mechanics implemented in this game.
If I had the choice of one random Newcomer or to have Ivy and squirtle back.
I would pick the Latter and that's without all veteran Bias.
It certainly would complete the 'Starter Trinity'.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Honestly I really don't think we're getting two ballot characters, because if you recall Sakurai did say we'd get "several" characters, the definition of which means more than two. Not to mention DLC pack 1 has four fighters. So there's a lot to consider.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
And I don't know about you but that still kind of gives me the vibe of cut content which Sakurai was trying to go against.
Eh... I don't really think all four of them were cut content. I think that:
1.) They didn't realize how popular Mewtwo was and tried to add him into the base game, but decided just to hold him off as they didn't want to delay the game. Plus, he originally required both versions, but they allowed you to pay for him instead due to fan outcry.

2.) Lucas was probably not planned/low priority. So it was a no brainer to work on him as he's easy to make as a semi-clone of Ness.

3.) Roy probably wasn't planned since he wasn't in brawl. Afterwards, Sakurai probably hewas just very popular. So he added him and was also (again) easy to make.

4.) Ryu was probably considered in pre-development, I assume, but Mega Man was chosen instead. Then when time to make DLC he probably though of his unique moveset and added him.

That's my thoughts. I don't think any of this is cut content to be honest. If it was and we're paying premium for it, people are going to be pissed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dude the characters I play has the advantage of Rage on their side, especially a certain boxer from the Bronx who can KO opponents at 45% without the KO Punch
Still prefer my brother's reaction to Infinite Jab Cancel to KO Punch
Or gimping anything with Air Mac
But yeah, Mac is pretty scary if you play him the boring way :cool:

I'm now playing Chrono Trigger again(for the 3rd-5th time or something) and I am creating an enormous backlog
This should never happen to me
Mario Maker isn't even out yet
I didn't even buy Etrian Odyseey Untold 2 yet either
I'm even doing interchange and going to Canada tomorrow
Why I can't focus at one thing at a time?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
My issue with third parties is that it's gotten to the point where it went from just maybe 2-3 to 5-8. They are supposed to be mostly special cases but now, almost anyone can get in and it's not about status but more of they have more priority over Nintendo franchises and people will take more of those than Nintendo series.

I love third parties and I love playing them but if all DLC characters are Third Party, not only it'll upset me but get me to the point where I'll support the idea of Smash being Nintendo-exclusived again and not take anymore.

And after Brawl, a Smash game with no third parties would be blasphemous in all fans eyes.

I don't want to get to the point where it's 9 third party characters on the roster and all of it is just advertisement.

Chrono.

Any chance we could get 2 ballot characters alongside 2 regular Sakurai picks?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
@ PushDustIn PushDustIn didn't you say this isn't true in the japanese version? Meaning that there isn't really a correlation between pack sizes and future DLC?
That shouldn't be as I know, because it should be the same across both regions. Still, I did state something above.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't even want to imagine the rage if we get two DLC characters and they are both third parties.
I would be able to understand it, even if I end up being sad in the end, if at the very least both of them were legitimately iconic video game characters that qualifies as not just being any old third-party character. Otherwise, I'll shake my head. No, not because they supposedly "stole a slot from more Deserving Characters™" but precisely because of how badly they will stick out in comparison to legitimately iconic third-party characters we got for all the wrong reasons, lowering the bar to the point the concept of third-party characters being in Smash no longer feels interesting and exiting due to a lack of starpower they add to Smash, and thus feel like they are just there for the sake of having third-party reps.

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
Any chance we could get 2 ballot characters alongside 2 regular Sakurai picks?
I'd guess chances are good that they'll all be "Sakurai picks" :113:

I'll also venture a guess that all predictions in this thread will be wrong. :064:

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
2 regular Sakurai picks :

-Wii balance board
-Young Link

Sakurai - "I hope you are happy with those brand new characters ! Young Link is smaller than Link but taller than Toon Link by an inch. And he uses fire arrows.
With Wii balance board, we wanted to prove that even non-living beings have a chance to settle it in SMASH ! Now everyone and almost anything can fight !"

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Two things to say. If we only get 2 characters, then the ballot shouldn't have been open for 6 sodding months.
Second, my old pal @Burr
Two things to say. If we only get 2 characters, then the ballot shouldn't have been open for 6 sodding months.
Second, my old pal @ Burruni Burruni is back from the dead, she'd probably like it here as she's good at debates

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
2 more characters and one is Shovel Knight potentially?

Hmmmmmm.

I don't know.
That kind of sounds very close to what we said after the ESRB leak though. A lot of fans said things like "there's no way we'd only get Duck Hunt and Dark Pit, there has to be more!", and that's why rumors like the Tower of Smash lasted so long after the fact. Same with Brawl to a lesser extent as a lot of fans were greatly disappointed with just Wolf, ROB, Lucario and Toon Link being our last newcomers and kept pushing for things like Ridley (until he was confirmed as a boss). Theoretically, Sakurai could've chosen Shovel Knight as he liked the idea of the character, went with one more character to complete the set, and there's our six DLC characters. It wouldn't be the first time we had expectations that weren't exactly met, and that is a potential possibility to consider here.

Where are people getting the idea of 2 DLC characters left? I'm counting on 4 characters. I don't think they'd make 6 month international ballot and choose 2. Unless they're planning on using the data for a future Smash.
Iwata did say that Sakurai would take requests into consideration for future iterations for the franchise, so that's definitely a possibility here.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Which is even kind of worse really. I love me some third parties, but I can't see any reason to favor them as DLC.

Unless Sakurai legitimately doesn't want to introduce a big Nintendo character as DLC because he thinks it'd be viewed as them being an "afterthought"
I guess there are a few potential reasons.
-3rd Party characters potentially brings in new sets of fans. Like, DK fans aren't going to go out and buy a copy of the game because K. Rool is in, but Rayman fans might go out and buy the game for him.
-DLC could make negotiations, licensing and royalties far easier to work out between Nintendo and said 3rd Party.
-DLC is seen as an 'extra'. 3rd Party characters pretty much facilitate the exact same line of thought. I can see less cries of "oh they just held Ryu off to sell him later on", than I can "oh they just kept K. Rool off the disc to charge for him later because he's so requested".
-Despite vocal fans often being against them, guest characters sell extremely well to a casual market. Usually better than 1st party characters. Ed Boon noted that Scorpion was the best selling DLC character for Injustice by far (over very highly requested characters like Martian Manhunter and Lobo), and Freddy Krueger also far outsold the other 3 MK9 DLC characters.
-Above all else, individual DLC has to sell. The method of releasing it piecemeal means they can't lump in little known characters with bigger ones to sell them.

I do agree that I kind of dislike the idea of a Nintendo cross over relegating first party newcomers to being an afterthought. I think that K. Rool's MF costume does facilitate this thought more though. And if the Inklings really are out for the reasons that @Burb often brings up (trophy, MF), and if the Shovel Knight rumour holds true, then

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Don't we already have two non-living things in the roster? :4megaman::4rob:

Well, kind of. For robots, they show a bit of expressiveness, wouldn't you say?

Wii Fit Balance Board would be a great troll character just like the Trainer herself anyway. lol

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I don't have problems with 3rd party characters as long as Smash still feels like a Nintendo game with guest stars. Like Mega Man and Sonic I think fit right in and I'm sure a lot of people don't even realize they're not from Nintendo.

I remember those videos where people from the streets were asked to name the characters, and some thought Shulk was from Final Fantasy or something.

It's all about perspective. Some people think the "anime-looking" characters are too much. Others feel like they fit in perfectly.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Wolf...where art thou? :(
Ayyy Hokori! It's been a while.

I don't have problems with 3rd party characters as long as Smash still feels like a Nintendo game with guest stars. Like Mega Man and Sonic I think fit right in and I'm sure a lot of people don't even realize they're not from Nintendo.

I remember those videos where people from the streets were asked to name the characters, and some thought Shulk was from Final Fantasy or something.

It's all about perspective. Some people think the "anime-looking" characters are too much. Others feel like they fit in perfectly.
Yeah, it depends on which character it is for me. I'm sure anything Sakurai chooses will fit in anyways.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The cool thing about Shulk is that even without a Square Enix character, we still have a Nintendo character who aesthetically would fit in a Final Fantasy game. Who needs Cloud when you got Shulk?:troll:

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Said anime-looking characters are still from Nintendo franchises so they are at home in Smash Bros., a primarily Nintendo based crossover.

Not sure why the vitriol over those characters exists considering Nintendo is a Japanese company and Smash Bros. is a Japanese game.

Pretty much all Japanese video game companies have their share of anime-looking characters, especially those that have JRPG franchises. Sega, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Square Enix, Konami, Level 5 and so many others.

Then again, I'm likely biased for anime-like characters.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Ayyy Hokori! It's been a while.

Yeah, it depends on which character it is for me. I'm sure anything Sakurai chooses will fit in anyways.
Solffff, mah boi :shades:

That it has. I see some other familiar names here too. I just might have to start dropping by more often now :0

^
This pretty much sums up my stance on 3rd party characters in Smash.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That just reminded me that I saw someone say Ghostface from Scream should be Mortal Kombat DLC considering all the horror icons that get in.

And that amuses me so much more than the types we've got so far.

Because Ghostface is literally been like 8 different people and they're all just average people who were like ''**** it I am pissed off about something and I'mma kill some people."

Imagine them getting sucked into Mortal Kombat in the middle of their murder spree.

''DAMN IT I WANT TO KILL NEVE CAMPBELL OR THAT CHICK FROM THE MTV SERIES NOT LIU KANG! JUST SEND ME BACK!"

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Said anime-looking characters are still from Nintendo franchises so they are at home in Smash Bros., a primarily Nintendo based crossover.

Not sure why the vitriol over those characters exists considering Nintendo is a Japanese company and Smash Bros. is a Japanese game.

Pretty much all Japanese video game companies have their share of anime-looking characters, especially those that have JRPG franchises. Sega, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Square Enix, Konami, Level 5 and so many others.

Then again, I'm likely biased for anime-like characters.
People also ignore that Link and Zelda are also "anime" characters like the FE characters. In other words, it's really just as excuse to complain about FE and KI characters.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
If we only get 2 characters, then the ballot shouldn't have been open for 6 sodding months.
Two characters is pretty good. And M A Y B E they left it open for 6 months so they could start creating the characters during the ballot. For example, since June, they started developing one of the ballot "winners".

Don't we already have two non-living things in the roster? :4megaman::4rob:
Indeed. Forgot them.

I'd see the Wii balance board moves like the magic carpet (?) In Aladdin or R2D2 ; no face but you can sense how he feels in his movements.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
People also ignore that Link and Zelda are also "anime" characters like the FE characters. In other words, it's really just as excuse to complain about FE and KI characters.
Zero Suit Samus is also very anime-like in her design.

In fact, Link has always kind of looked anime-like, especially starting with Ocarina of Time. The designs always kind of matched with contemporary anime. (Seriously, check anime designs from the 80's and 90's and compare with nowadays' anime, then do the same for Link.)

Just like how the anime art style evolved, so did those characters' designs to match the tendencies.

Sakurai himself has noted this about the redesigns of Pit and Roy for Brawl and Smash 4, respectively.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
It's just always baffled me with the concept. I mean, a Japanese video game, having Japanese elements? Who would have thunk.
And the strangest thing is it's almost always anime. You never hear anyone calling an artstyle "too Western". What makes anime the exception?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Solffff, mah boi :shades:

That it has. I see some other familiar names here too. I just might have to start dropping by more often now :0

^
This pretty much sums up my stance on 3rd party characters in Smash.
@ Hokori Hokori -senpai is back!

After I catch up on the first 49 pages
And like 30 pages of the new dlc discussing thread
yeahhhhhh
You didn't miss much tbh. . . except for the Shovel Knight rumor. That is about it.

I mean this where news shows up really fast but by now i's old news. Also sourcegaming articles. Those too.
You missed even less in the character thread. . .

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
In unimportant news, I was sent these "images" randomly to my Reddit account by user Jtneagle. It was titled, "shhhh". I'm not sure what was the point, or why me of all people he sent these too.

Burruni

Smash Hero
In unimportant news, I was sent these "images" randomly to my Reddit account by user Jtneagle. It was titled, "shhhh". I'm not sure what was the point, or why me of all people he sent these too.
When will people stop using Smashified art for leaks
You think
You're gonna pull one
On Smash fans
By using art
Made specifically
For Smash Fans
?????????????????????

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
It's just always baffled me with the concept. I mean, a Japanese video game, having Japanese elements? Who would have thunk.
And the strangest thing is it's almost always anime. You never hear anyone calling an artstyle "too Western". What makes anime the exception?

What makes an anime an exfeption is how simple-minded the main character is in some situations and barely manage to stand out from the crowd. The MC is often a teenager who only thinks about having avrelationship with the opposite gender without having any special ability while the MC's family is really outstanding.

A good example of this is Corey in the House.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Isn't that literally the Smashified art? Lol. They didn't even try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom