• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Considering it's already past 5 PM in Japan, I don't believe we'll be seeing anything besides the Super Mario Maker stage, except maybe some Mii outfits.

Serpdrako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Imperfect_Scars
3DS FC
3136-6642-7063
Still seems weird that they haven't acknowledged the stage again though.

Chrono.

Considering it's already past 5 PM in Japan, I don't believe we'll be seeing anything besides the Super Mario Maker stage, except maybe some Mii outfits.
My thoughts on this whole thing pretty much.

On the other hand I'm glad I get to use my money for Freedom Planet instead.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
2.50. Like...seriously the amount of money Nintendo won't make by releasing one thing compared to the amount they probably made on the last few bits.

I don't get the way this was announced and mapped out at all.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I don't really do the data mining myself for a couple of reasons.

1. I don't want Source Gaming to get shut down. I can report on other people's data mining but if I do it, and post it, I could be risking the site.

2. A lot of people are doing it now. RandomTalkingBush and shiny are the best, but there are some other people who are looking at the data including other people on Smashboards.

Should take less than 24 hours to dig through everything.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Short answer, Mario Maker hype.
Long answer, Mario Maker hype.
Then don't announce it two whole weeks away from it's release. Just drop it silently in the night.

It's absolutely stupid to hype ONE stage and one stage only. No matter what the game.

Edit: Hell, I feel this way when Splatoon is like ''NEW WEAPON COMING TONIGHT?!"

And it's like....''And?!"

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Like I said in my edit.

It's even stupid when Splatoon does it.

''BTW WE'RE ADDING ONE SINGLE WEAPON TONIGHT! AND IT'S A VARIANT OF A WEAPON ALREADY IN THE GAME."

It's just all so very ''Okay then."

Shroob

Sup?
2.50. Like...seriously the amount of money Nintendo won't make by releasing one thing compared to the amount they probably made on the last few bits.

I don't get the way this was announced and mapped out at all.
I just don't get two things:

Where are the Mii costumes?

Why is the patch taking longer than the Royu patch?

I wanna say that it's due to them adding things for future DLC, but I have a feeling that no one will find anything.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think it's very possible this update is completely devoid of content besides Mario Maker and then we get another in like a week with more content.
IDK why, but it's more likely than all this time being used to make this one stage.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Indeed, I find this update to be a little strange given they just announced a stage out of nowhere and nothing else.

The Lucas update had a DLC Direct on the same day, announced a week earlier and showing all the content. The third wave's content was all announced in that same Direct, except for Mii outfits, though those were also announced a few days earlier.

Mewtwo's release date and first wave of Mii outfits were all also announced on the April Direct.

In all cases, we knew about what was being added in that update before going live. This time, not even Mii outfits were announced. Only the Mario Maker stage.

Well, it is what it is. Perhaps, they want to add content later on? Maybe, in October? Something about the ballot closing? Perhaps, the Mario Maker stage is earlier just for promotion and we'll get more content later?

Well, it doesn't really matter. We're getting the Mario Maker stage and that's it. At least, it's what I think.

Serpdrako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Imperfect_Scars
3DS FC
3136-6642-7063
I keep checking the Japanese twitter account for the inevitable "Don't forget to download the new "Super Mario Maker" stage for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U tomorrow!" But I've had no luck so far.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
At the very least, the game will get a notification, as with all other updates.
True, but I don't see many people rushing to add 3.00 dollars total to their wallet for one stage.

I forsee this stage selling really really really badly if it's just on it's own.

Chrono.

True, but I don't see many people rushing to add 3.00 dollars total to their wallet for one stage.

I forsee this stage selling really really really badly if it's just on it's own.
Adding on to this is how gimmicky stages like SMM are already disliked enough...

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I rushed to add money for the stage :ohwell:
It's freaking Mario Maker in Smash. That got me excited. Plus it's a new stage and is randomly generated, so I see the excitement being longer lasting then when the two 64 stages were released.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So apparently there was nothing.

Not surprised.

Man. For all its faults, this game had an amazing opening.

I'd like to discuss a couple of things though.

Why didn't this game work?

SSB works just fine. As does various other crossovers.

Why didn't it catch on?

Was it just the gameplay? I mean it wasn't perfect but for all intents and purposes it was really fun. It should have at least been a great starting point. I hope it comes to PS4 someday as I would love to own it finally.

Was it the roster? I'm not so sure...

I mean look at the first party line up!

Debuted on PS1.
Parappa (Parappa the Rapper)
Toro (Doku Demo Isskyo)
Sir Daniel Fortisque (Medievil) <--Best Character
Spike (Ape Escape)
Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)

Debuted on PS2.
Colonel Radec (Killzone)
Jak and Daxter (Jak and Daxter)
Rachet and Clank (Rachet and Clank)
Sly Cooper (Sly Cooper)
Kratos (God of War)
Zeus (God of War)

Debuted on PS3
Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
Sackboy (Little Big Planet)
Cole MacGrath/Evil Cole MacGrath (Infamous)
Emmett Brown (Starhawk)
Fat Princess (Fat Princess)
Nariko (Heavenly Sword)

Even one character from the PS Vita!
Kat (Gravity Rush)

This isn't a bad list of characters! They got several Sony icons there and were smart enough to bring both the megatons and the obscure. For the characters they could get. They used them pretty well.

Even the third party picks aren't that bad.

Heihachi (Tekken), Dante (Devil May Cry) and Raiden (Metal Gear) all have direct ties to the PlayStation brand. And while Big Daddy (Bioshock) and Isaac (Dead Space) are a bit odd. They definitely work and have fun tools to use.

They were pretty darn smart. They even gave each console a lot of love.

Are there any real problems with it? I mean there are clashing art styles sure but that's the point. Even then other crossovers have done that. Smash does it all the time.

So what happened?

I don't think the developers respected each brand. I mean. Look at the rival cutscenes. These characters are often needlessly hostile. Some of them work great. Like Kratos being a gigantic prick. Others like say... Dante and Nariko? Why does Dante think Nariko is a demon? Why does Parappa already know Spike? Why are these characters so needlessly hostile when they aren't in their respective games? It's just off putting to me.

On a similar note. The stages. I admit that combining worlds was pretty neat at first but I started to think it was because the creators weren't sure some of these brands could stand on their own. It's also somewhat lops sided as some series get stages and others don't because...? It feels like some were just favored over others.

I dunno. What do you guys think?
An extreme nitpick: Killzone may have debuted on the PS2 but the character of Radec didn't debut until the PS3 sequel.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You'd think it'd be easy to throw together some Mario themed Mii Fighter outfits if they wanted a Mario Maker update.

There are after all fan favorites who still haven't got any type of Mii Fighter content in the game. Some of them are even in the game in other forms.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
People seriously think that Nintendo would stop advertising the game because a bunch of fanboys cried about something they didn't like?

I stand by the belief that, if Nintendo hasn't announced anything besides Mario Maker for tomorrow, it's probably just going to be the new stage.

All other DLC got revealed before they went live be it on the actual day or weeks or even months before, so why would this time be an exception?

Strofirko

Smash Master
I don't think the developers respected each brand. I mean. Look at the rival cutscenes. These characters are often needlessly hostile. Some of them work great. Like Kratos being a gigantic prick. Others like say... Dante and Nariko? Why does Dante think Nariko is a demon? Why does Parappa already know Spike? Why are these characters so needlessly hostile when they aren't in their respective games? It's just off putting to me.

On a similar note. The stages. I admit that combining worlds was pretty neat at first but I started to think it was because the creators weren't sure some of these brands could stand on their own. It's also somewhat lops sided as some series get stages and others don't because...? It feels like some were just favored over others.
You nailed it here.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
A part of me wonders if there's going to be another heartbreaking Mii costume released quietly alongside the stage.

I know, it's nonsensical and has no precedent, considering they had no qualms howling KKR as a Mii, but still. I'll be of the belief that it's only the stage tomorrow if they don't say a word.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
For some reason, the more I see about #FE, the less excited I am for the game.

So far, it's really not appealing to me.

I've gotten to the point where I hardly care about the game. I like some of the character designs and the voice cast looks quite good too, but the thematic of the game is just not what I was expecting.

Might be a good game on its own, anyway.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Preview scan so that people will actually buy the magazine
WTF is a magazine?
For some reason, the more I see about #FE, the less excited I am for the game.

So far, it's really not appealing to me.

I've gotten to the point where I hardly care about the game. I like some of the character designs and the voice cast looks quite good too, but the thematic of the game is just not what I was expecting.

Might be a good game on its own, anyway.
You know a game has missed the point of it's existence when someone who is a fan of anime AND Fire Emblem isn't invested in it. :/
EDIT: Although to be fair I am not sure how you feel about the "WAIFUS WAIFUS WAIFUS POP STARS" direction anime is going.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom