• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm honestly sick of the custom hate. It helps a lot of characters out and good characters are already good characters regardless if they don't have good customs or do. They should be legal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don't understand the logic behind banning customs in the first place.
Pretty much this and villager (and sometimes pikachu)
:troll:
That and TOs really ****ing hate setting all of the move sets up and collecting them. If they were unlocked from the start there probably wouldnt be an argument in the first place. . .

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...ves-be-banned-super-smash-bros-4-tournaments/

Soo this is a Thing.

What do you guys think about this, banned or no?
I've always been pro-custom, and found all the arguments against them besides the logistic argument to be ridiculous and incredibly whiny (people are going to seriously whine about a custom move getting early kills?). And on the logistics end, I found the custom moveset project was a pretty apt solution. Additionally, while unlocking them is a huge pain, once you get them all, you have them permanently and never have to grind for them again, so grinding them out for a few days with the Ganon Target Blast method is hardly an issue in the long run for competitive players.

Regarding miis, they of course should be legal with their full movesets alongside customs. I'm uneasy with the idea though of allowing them with all their moves while banning custom moves, but also find "only 1111" arbitrary and as good as banning them. Regardless, the one constant rule with miis should be that they must be one of the default miis on the system and not allow people to mess around with their sizes.

In the end, hopefully WiiU hacking advances to the point we can just put a SD card in each system to unlock all the custom moves instantly on it, to put a complete end to the logistical and accessibility arguments.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Pretty much this and villager (and sometimes pikachu)
:troll:
That's only a reason to ban specific customs, not all of them

That and TOs really ****ing hate setting all of the move sets up and collecting them. If they were unlocked from the start there probably wouldnt be an argument in the first place. . .
This is actually a good reason imo. I believe there are reasons to ban customs, but they aren't the reasons most commonly cited. The reason I hear most often is "jank," which is a terrible reason because just as much jank exists in defaults and if it really is a problem, you should only be banning specific customs, not all. Alternatively, to minimize jank, you can find the worst possible custom set for each character and make only that set legal. It's a more logical conclusion to the jank "problem" than banning all customs, at least.

If customs are going to be banned, I just wish people would use actually logical reasons. There's a lot of tedium involved and getting practice with them can be very tough since they can't be used online with anyone. If people just don't want to bother as a result of those things, I completely understand. But I never hear that from tournament players and TOs, just "OMG jank!"

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...ves-be-banned-super-smash-bros-4-tournaments/

Soo this is a Thing.

What do you guys think about this, banned or no?
Since we are on the topic of banning Mii's and custom moves I wanted to post this from another thread:

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Sometimes I want to release my inner drunk, insane, bitter scotsman at this man.

"Oh so ya against all custom play are ya Zero? Well I've just made a few minor ADJUSTMENTS".

"Yeah see all of you favorite tags such as ZeRo and 7^? NO THE ARE GOING TO BE BANNED ALTOGETHER!"
"Its a thing I created called "silent tags" Zero, because despite being there for everyone to see, people just don't listen to ya do they?!?!"

"And you know what? I don't think the control stick and the A button are enough to represent the smash attack command!"
"Yeah so I've created the A+B Command! Oh but the A+B command can't do anything without the default, non-customized control scheme- Yeah that's called team work Zero!
"

...but really, I don't see the point in banning Miis.

Edit: Sick page steal :yeahboi:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He only wants stuff banned that jeopardizes him winning.

When he uses it he's fine.

Since we are on the topic of banning Mii's and custom moves I wanted to post this from another thread:

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Sometimes I want to release my inner drunk, insane, bitter scotsman at this man.

"Oh so ya against all custom play are ya Zero? Well I've just made a few minor ADJUSTMENTS".

"Yeah see all of you favorite tags such as ZeRo and 7^? NO THE ARE GOING TO BE BANNED ALTOGETHER!"
"Its a thing I created called "silent tags" Zero, because despite being there for everyone to see, people just don't listen to ya do they?!?!"

"And you know what? I don't think the control stick and the A button are enough to represent the smash attack command!"
"Yeah so I've created the A+B Command! Oh but the A+B command can't do anything without the default, non-customized control scheme- Yeah that's called team work Zero!
"

...but really, I don't see the point in banning Miis.

Edit: Sick page steal :yeahboi:
The sad part about this? People will automatically go with him because he is a competitive celebrity. He doesn't even give any reasons (there aren't any good reasons for outright banning a character in smash 4) but multiple people saw that tweet and now firmly believe miis are bad for the game.

And that is what really makes this sad.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I never did get the hate behind Miis. Is it because they hold some customizable elements and "custom = bad"? Because I don't get it.

Soul.

Last year. Scarflard complaining about Lucario being really stupid in rage.
--

I thought people got over Timber Counter and the Thunder Wave complaints. Thunder Wave is not as ridiculous as it once was; you can't do the infinite anymore.

Many top players prefer to play the game on default and, from what I've seen, they don't think Mii Fighters are deserving of custom moves. They think they are just normal custom moves like everyone else despite being able to be used when the toggle is off.

I'm indifferent. Not sure about DLC characters getting "nerfed" in a custom meta but idk, it hasn't been explored enough. Let's just see what happens.

AreJay25

I never did get the hate behind Miis. Is it because they hold some customizable elements and "custom = bad"? Because I don't get it.
I don't really see a lot of hate for Mii's tbh. It's always been against customs in general.

I mean, it's kinda hard to hate Mii Swordfighter when he's considered one of the worst characters...

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
The sad part about this? People will automatically go with him because he is a competitive celebrity. He doesn't even give any reasons (there aren't any good reasons for outright banning a character in smash 4) but multiple people saw that tweet and now firmly believe miis are bad for the game.

And that is what really makes this sad.
Reminds me of what someone said on VGBC's twitch chat once.

"Banning custom moves is like banning B moves altogether.... *Looks at Mii Fighters* Oh wait"

Seriously though, people like ZeRo who say stuff like that about banning the Mii Fighters are pretty ignorant in my book.
People like you are the same people who made Dapuffster stop playing because everyone banned Mii Fighters for no good reason :facepalm:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Honestly though ZeRo Tweets perfectly describe the metagame right now: it's either one or another. And if both opposite sides aren't pleased, they'll complain. Customs are the same way. It's like we want to be different and take risks, but we don't.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I mean didn't the customs actually go over well at Evo? I mean, it didn't seem to be game breaking at all! I don't understand the ban myself.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Ehh...
I'm in the middle right now when it comes to customs. I understand why people want to ban them (as some of them can be abused like DK's up-b), but then there are characters that are built around them (Mii Fighters and Palutena). So, it's really up to the TO's to decide (in my opinion).

Last edited:

Soul.

The games have a million features; it's hard to please everyone. And of course competitive players want to stay true to the game's rules (2 stock 5 mins; in tourneys it's 6 mins) except with legal stages and less Final Overrated.

We'll never reach a consensus.
I mean didn't the customs actually go over well at Evo? I mean, it didn't seem to be game breaking at all! I don't understand the ban myself.
EVO was apparently a **** show to them

Last edited:

AreJay25

Eh, some weren't exactly well received. Sonic and Villager in particular got a lot of hate for being campy/running out the clock.

But otherwise some people liked them.

Last edited:
This was what I noticed too. EVO was probably the most positive reception towards customs I had ever seen. I specifically remember a Villager getting DESTROYED and there being a buttload of hype over it. But every tournament banned customs afterwards anyways and here we are :/

Maybe Japan's hatred for customs had something to do with it but IDK

D

Deleted member

I find it entertaining watching the camp fights cause it takes a lot of mental fortitude to endure it.

I recall playing this guy in a friendlies at a tournament and he was using Link and I was using DK, and he kept me at bay the whole match and was laughing the entire time thinking he I was going to be riled up but I was far from it. I was actually very entertained because I was fighting through a wall essentially and I wasn't giving up or anything. It was a very interesting fight compared to the usual.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Customs I don't know about at this point. I was in favor of them at one point, but even though there wasn't much of the dreaded "custom jank" at EVO (with a few exceptions), they didn't make as much of a positive difference I would have expected either. Since the top players are pretty much all strongly against it, I doubt they'll ever be on by default, and I'm pretty much ambivalent at this point toward them (although Abadango's Fast Bike will be missed).

However, I see no reason Miis shouldn't be available in their fullest. In particular, there's no basis for 1111 Miis only, especially since Tournament Mode toggles them, always with specials intact, separately from customs, and all of the specials are unlocked from the start. In fact, in no mode with Miis playable (i.e. all but online With Anyone) does turning Customs Off remove Miis from the roster, or affect Miis in any way except removing their equipment, so clearly the specials are just part of the character. Mii bans are pretty arbitrary in general; the only thing I could understand being a decent compromise is sizes being set to Guest, and that's only if importing other Miis proved to be significantly more logistically complicated than making preset sets with Guest Miis (and I don't believe it is).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My favprite part of the competitive community is that they complain about "broken" characters like Rosalina and Diddy in Smash 4 and that they should be banned, yet Fox is perfectly fine in Melee

The only reason people don't like customs is because it's new and godforbidden having new mechanics in Smash

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Everyone loves customs until they actually play a tournament with them.

Soul.

I dunno, most locals/tourneys/whatever term the competitive people use for their sacred realm started using customs the very moment EVO announced that it would be running customs. The moment EVO was over, people went back to not using customs, despite the "positive" reception they received at EVO (unless I'm wrong top 8 didn't see a lot of custom play).

Because they simply don't like customs. I know most people here are all for them; I'm indifferent. Whether or not they are successfully added into the ruleset doesn't matter to me.

Perhaps, just perhaps, default is way more consistent/saves TOs from running out of time, but I don't know. inb4 customs should be played for fun, yes, I believe the developers said so.

Chrono.

Some customs are pretty aggravating to watch, Villager's in particular.

That being said I don't have a solid opinion towards customs because
  • They're not exactly accessible, so I don't have a lot to experiment with
  • I don't have anyone to play with in a local sense
Miis should definitely stay though.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'm perfectly ok with customs, I think that them and the miis should be allowed, even if they had their own subsection for better balance at tournaments. It's interesting to see how custom moves can be used in this game. The matches are quite entertaining. Plus we need more jigglypuff custom matches,

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Customs are awful they make some characters not better but just more annoying and most characters dont even a tier and some cases they fall a tier however miis shouldn't be banned there pretty fun and there techinally are characters

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Bans on Customs. Probably and that due to how crazy insane the zoning BS with Villager and Rosalina. I wouldn't mind certain customs be banned though

Now banning Mii fighters?
**** THAT NOISE. THAT'S MORE LEGAL THAN ANYTHING ELSE.

Atleast Mii Fighters are balanced well compared to other custom moves

I'm perfectly ok with customs, I think that them and the miis should be allowed, even if they had their own subsection for better balance at tournaments. It's interesting to see how custom moves can be used in this game. The matches are quite entertaining. Plus we need more jigglypuff custom matches,
Actually, almost all of Puff's customs are really bad and I mean BAD.

I mean to where Custom Little Mac is better than her

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom