• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Not that character support will do much by now considering the ballot is about to end after 6 months since its start.
Except for maybe Wolf, to be honest I don't think it did much after the first few weeks.

Personally I found it hilarious to see the already corny support threads start treating things like an election. K.Rool is obviously Donald Trump.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Except for maybe Wolf, to be honest I don't think it did much after the first few weeks.

Personally I found it hilarious to see the already corny support threads start treating things like an election.
Indie "reps". That is all.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I hope you guys like Banjo-Kazooie and Golden Sun:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Th4pdsrzs-6X303PPpw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/htmlview#

Over 40,000 votes pulled from all over the web, east and west.

I think it's safe to assume that pretty much everything after no.6 has a hard shot at making it in when they don't even have half as many votes as any of the top 3.
Assuming that this data is even accurate, I'd still find a popular cut veteran who still has relevance to be infinitely more likely than a character from a completely dead franchise.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'll be honest, I don't get the big deal about Smashified. No offense to Hex whose art is indeed fantastic, but is it really worth a discussion about speculating who's next to be drawn?
Art is a beautiful thing, and when it resembles something of which we desire it connects with us on an emotional level. #pretentious #nicecleavage

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
And if Banjo is still highly voted, do you guys think he could be added?
I seriously doubt it.

Even if Phil Spencer is fine with it, will they actually go through with it? They'd basically be advertising each other's games. Ryu and Snake are at least not owned by the competition.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I'm not confident in Banjo or Isaac. And I'd have loved to see Isaac. I wanted him in Brawl. It just doesn't seem like Golden Sun will continue. And it's really a shame too. I didn't think Dark Dawn was bad enough to put the series on hiatus, but evidently...

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I really want Wolf back, but I'm not as confident as before of his return right now. Especially if he isn't announced on the 3oth or before.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Phil Spencer already said ages ago he was fine with Banjo in Smash.
I'm aware which is why I said "even if Microsoft is receptive". It's Nintendo I don't think cares about ever using Banjo unless they outright own the IP, which isn't happening anytime soon.

D

Deleted member

I would change my avatar to a JoJo onr, but it doesn't have any traps :(
Which is why I'll go with the second best thing
I hope you guys like Banjo-Kazooie and Golden Sun:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Th4pdsrzs-6X303PPpw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/htmlview#

Over 40,000 votes pulled from all over the web, east and west.

I think it's safe to assume that pretty much everything after no.6 has a hard shot at making it in when they don't even have half as many votes as any of the top 3.
This implies this is accurate
This implies the othe million votes from the other people who bought the game don't matter
This implies Banjo and Kazooie are possible
This implies that--*shot*

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'll be honest, I don't get the big deal about Smashified. No offense to Hex whose art is indeed fantastic, but is it really worth a discussion about speculating who's next to be drawn?
To be fair, is it also really worth speculating over characters/stages getting into Smash 4 when we'll probably buy it? Or discussing leaks that are 99% fake? No of course not. But hell it's fun to do. And people do enjoy seeing the art of their favorite character. So why not?

Chrono.

Only character I'm confident we'll be seeing is Wolf and I don't even think he's all that likely as it is.

El Syd

Banned via Warnings
I'm not confident of either Banjo or Isaac.
Well, lets look at the top 10, everything else is irrelevant.

In fact, personally I say top 6 since votes really drop off after Inkling, and before people start crying over their niche character, consider the weight of the votes.

Yes, this isn't an election, but Sakurai has openly said he aims to please fans with the DLC, which means more popular choices hold more weight as they please more fans. Why add Bandana Dee when double the number of people want Isaac? This would be an issue if there wasn't such a huge drop after Inkling.

Thus, that leaves us with:
K.Rool
Isaac
Banjo
Snake
Wolf
Inkling

Wolf is pretty much a deadlock outside of the ballot, so you can scratch him off as a returning vet like Roy and Lucas.

Snake is a nogo due to Konami commiting suicide.

K.Rool's fate doesn't look too well with the Mii costume, and it's possible Sakurai didn't find him worth adding considering he'd be Dedede 2.0. What's interesting about the K.Rool Mii is that unlike the other outfits, his wasn't taken from a model already in game or ported from another game, in fact, it's evident it's one they worked on aside, thus suggesting the possibility that Sakurai might have tried to get K.Rool to work already, but for some reason decided against it.

As for the Inkling, they have a decent shot, the content added stands agaisnt them though. However, that content was added to commemorate the release of Splatoon, so their shot is quite high.

Thus, out of the ballots, the two characters with the highest chances are Banjo and Isaac. Both meet Sakurai's criteria, both would be unique and interesting newcomers, both are in incredibly high demand.

Plus, with this next batch of DLC you need some hype-worthy character to generate buzz, some 3rd party guest after Ryu, and Banjo is the obvious choice.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I don't know if Microsoft and Nintendo really see each other as direct competition.

Microsoft/Phil Spencer have gone on record saying that Nintendo has the best 1st Party titles. They've also allowed their IPs to be published on Nintendo systems (Viva Pinata, Banjo Grunty's Revenge, Diddy Kong Racing) and I seem to remember Spencer saying that Nintendo makes a good accompaniment to Xbox systems.

Microsoft and Sony have a rivalry, I don't think Nintendo is really a part of it. They're just off doing their own thing.

El Syd

Banned via Warnings
I'm not confident of either Banjo or Isaac.
Well, lets look at the top 10, everything else is irrelevant.

In fact, personally I say top 6 since votes really drop off after Inkling, and before people start crying over their niche character, consider the weight of the votes.

Yes, this isn't an election, but Sakurai has openly said he aims to please fans with the DLC, which means more popular choices hold more weight as they please more fans. Why add Bandana Dee when double the number of people want Isaac? This would be an issue if there wasn't such a huge drop after Inkling.

Thus, that leaves us with:
K.Rool
Isaac
Banjo
Snake
Wolf
Inkling

Wolf is pretty much a deadlock outside of the ballot, so you can scratch him off as a returning vet like Roy and Lucas.

Snake is a nogo due to Konami commiting suicide.

K.Rool's fate doesn't look too well with the Mii costume, and it's possible Sakurai didn't find him worth adding considering he'd be Dedede 2.0. What's interesting about the K.Rool Mii is that unlike the other outfits, his wasn't taken from a model already in game or ported from another game, in fact, it's evident it's one they worked on aside, thus suggesting the possibility that Sakurai might have tried to get K.Rool to work already, but for some reason decided against it.

As for the Inkling, they have a decent shot, the content added stands agaisnt them though. However, that content was added to commemorate the release of Splatoon, so their shot is quite high.

Thus, out of the ballots, the two characters with the highest chances are Banjo and Isaac. Both meet Sakurai's criteria, both would be unique and interesting newcomers, both are in incredibly high demand.

Plus, with this next batch of DLC you need some hype-worthy character to generate buzz, some 3rd party guest after Ryu, and Banjo is the obvious choice.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I don't know if Microsoft and Nintendo really see each other as direct competition.

Microsoft/Phil Spencer have gone on record saying that Nintendo has the best 1st Party titles. They've also allowed their IPs to be published on Nintendo systems (Viva Pinata, Banjo Grunty's Revenge, Diddy Kong Racing) and I seem to remember Spencer saying that Nintendo makes a good accompaniment to Xbox systems.

Microsoft and Sony have a rivalry, I don't think Nintendo is really a part of it. They're just off doing their own thing.
Actually a nice mention of Rare games on hand held. Phil has stated that if Nintendo approached them and accepted the idea, a franchise like Banjo could be on the 3DS due to Microsoft not being in that market.

Will they happen? They have extremely low Chances. Will it be one of the most shocking reveals ever? Absolutely

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I still don't believe Banjo-Kazooie will be considered.

Don't get me wrong, I've had great memories with the Bear & Bird duo but they're Microsoft property, regardless of Phil Spenser being open to having them in Smash.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Wait, Nintendo had a Viva Pinata game? What?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
It's hard to be confident in any character, because it seems like every possible choice has something about them that could prevent them from being chosen.

El Syd

Banned via Warnings
Assuming that this data is even accurate, I'd still find a popular cut veteran who still has relevance to be infinitely more likely than a character from a completely dead franchise.
You mean Snake? Are you even aware of what's going on with Konami? They don't give a **** about gaming anymore and have gone full pachinko.

As for "dead franchise" Smash is full of them, so long as they're iconic to Nintendo history which Banjo certainly is. More iconic than anyone in the ballots. If you were around in the 90s you'd know. He's Rare's mascot, and Rare embodies Nintendo's golden era.

And Golden Sun... well popular demand has you beat there.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Maybe because he is much more popular than Isaac in Japan and he is not from a niche, dead series, it's actually the opposite.

Ups.
If franchise popularity played a major role in DLC selection, we'd get tons of Mario and Pokemon character before we'd get a Kirby, Mother or FE DLC because those two franchises are far more famous than any other Nintendo franchise. the fact that it is not so, means that franchise popularity isn't nearly that big of a factor.

El Syd

Banned via Warnings
I'm aware which is why I said "even if Microsoft is receptive". It's Nintendo I don't think cares about ever using Banjo unless they outright own the IP, which isn't happening anytime soon.
Hi there Nintendo exec!

Unlike us, the big companies don't bicker over petty console war bs, and will colaborate if there's money to be made.

Phil Spencer has even gone on record to say that he finds console wars to be distasteful, and that he hopes to end that mentality.

Also, Ryu is a perfect example, or do I need to remind you that SFV is not coming to Nintendo consoles?

Chrono.

Relax Alax just posted a new video and I think he maaaaay have had a bit of a caffeine charge.

Still though it's a pretty good breakdown of Sonic in Smash and how he clearly borrows more from his Classic era.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I would change my avatar to a JoJo onr, but it doesn't have any traps :(
Which is why I'll go with the second best thing

This implies this is accurate
This implies the othe million votes from the other people who bought the game don't matter
This implies Banjo and Kazooie are possible
This implies that--*shot*
Half of the men in Parts 4-6 look feminine as hell. That counts for something.

I think all three compete with each other but it's a lot more friendly compared to what was there in the 90s. But that said, Microsoft has way too many hoops to jump through and Phil doesn't ever have the final say whether he can allow anyone from their company to be on another platform. Handhelds are one thing but there's also the console and the amiibo.

And you're forgetting that Sony doesn't see Nintendo the same way as they did during the PS1/PS2 days either. Outside of handhelds, their consoles don't interfere with their audience at all due to console levels of strength since the Wii. The only reason why Microsoft and Nintendo working with each other is easier to fans is because both are on radical different sides of the spectrum

Neo Zero

Huh, well I'll be.

Nintendo, stop loafing around and get Microsoft on the horn right now. I need a 3DS Banjo yesterday.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
If franchise popularity played a major role in DLC selection, we'd get tons of Mario and Pokemon character before we'd get a Kirby, Mother or FE DLC because those two franchises are far more famous than any other Nintendo franchise. the fact that it is not so, means that franchise popularity isn't nearly that big of a factor.
Mario and Pokemon have a lot of characters in Smash.
And are you seriously comparing Kirby to Mother or FE?
Lucas and Roy are veterans, that's why they are DLC characters.

Sakurai already said that characters from franchise with no future are low priority.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
If you think about it, Ryu wasn't in a hugely different position to Banjo-Kazooie before he was added as DLC. They both have a big history with Nintendo having starred in some of the top selling 3rd Party games on Nintendo systems. And while their most recent games have not really hit Nintendo systems, the prospect of them appearing in new games on Nintendo systems in the future isn't impossible.

Fun Fact: Banjo-Kazooie has had as many games on a Nintendo system post-rare buyout as he did when Nintendo and Rare were partnered.

I don't expect Banjo-Kazooie by any means, but I don't think it's entirely out of the realms of possibility.

Wait, Nintendo had a Viva Pinata game? What?
Yes, Pocket Paradise.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
So, I had this idea...

What if they make... Console Amiibo? Like, a Wii, and NES, and DS, and such, in Amiibo form? The consoles could even come with tiny figures of their controllers as a bonus.

Guys. This needs to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom