• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

For the record, I already played through the whole game of Shovel Knight and I am a big of supporter of Shovel Knight myself with its accomplishment of being the best retro-esque, I think people are over exaggerating what Shovel Knight can offer when it comes to just his shovel.
Ehh I don't see how.

Sakurai made the likes of ROB (a controller basically), Wii Fit Trainer (a Yoga instructor), Villager (nuff said) and a dog/duck duo work.

I think SK is in good hands, should he be in the game.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Personally, I think the concept of a shovel weapon is really lacking in uniqueness. Not much can be done with a shovel besides digging for treasure to make for a separate playstyle.
Agreed. Spoon Swords > Shovel Swords. :150:

Soul.

What Shovel Knight can offer is pretty simple. Wait for his supposed release and try him out.
If he's ever released that is. Then again I suck at speculating so I'll just lurk

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11

Have you even played Shovel Knight? You can't really say a character's not unique if you haven't even played their games.

Could you stop bringing this up, please?

I'm not the one starting flame wars, you are.
Calling attention to a part of my post as being aggressive when it wasn't aggressive at all is trying to start a flame war
Which is why I won't be having any of this anymore
Congratulations, you made me do something I had never done before to any user on this site
Aside from just bouncing on the opponent, does it really make a distinguishable playstyle?
You have someone like the Shulk who can use the Monado to change into different art forms or Rosalina being able to command Luma with her wand as the mother of cosmos. Shovel Knight's shovel, is just a shovel, what special attributes does the shovel have? It's part of the reason why I think Sakurai will pull a few moves from other indies to make him a bit more distinct as a fighter in addition to his shovel.

For the record, I already played through the whole game of Shovel Knight and I am a big of supporter of Shovel Knight myself with its accomplishment of being the best retro-esque game I played, I think people are over exaggerating what Shovel Knight can offer when it comes to just his shovel.
He has a shovel
No one else uses a ****ing shovel as their main weapon
How isn't that unique?
You even have the relics for his specials
Not everyone needs a gimmick to be unique
Mega Man just uses his iconic moves, without any sort of gimmick and is one of the most unique characters in the game

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ehh I don't see how.

Sakurai made the likes of ROB (a controller basically), Wii Fit Trainer (a Yoga instructor), Villager (nuff said) and a dog/duck duo work.

I think SK is in good hands, should he be in the game.
He made Duck Hunt work by borrowing a few moves from other Zapper games, what's stopping Shovel Knight from giving a few moves/nods to other indies to make him more distinct.

He has a shovel
No one else uses a ****ing shovel as their main weapon
How isn't that unique?
You even have the relics for his specials
Not everyone needs a gimmick to be unique
Mega Man just uses his iconic moves, without any sort of gimmick and is one of the most unique characters in the game
Sure, the shovel as a main weapon hasn't been used yet, but what else is beyond that. It would be like saying for example x character has only toy blocks or a rake as their weapon that makes them really unique, when really there's not much beyond that.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
guys i really don't think that mega man would be that unique in smash
i mean all he has is his mega buster. it just shoots energy shots and charges. that's pretty similar to what samus does.
i think he should use attacks from other capcom characters. his neutral-b throws a piece of evidence at an enemy. his final smash is that thing ammy does at the end of okami

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Then tell me what the shovel can do make it stand out from other characters besides grounding opponents.
Pogo stick is one of his signature moves for god's sake
He also has a bunch of relics he can use
Plus, he could borrow moves from the other Knights, like Propeller Knight's thrusting attack or Specter Knight's slash attack
Also, doesnt he dig up treasure? What if when he gigs something up it goes flying at his opponents. Additionally he could perhaps bury items and get them later. Imagin catching Peach's turnip, burying it and preventing her from spawning another.

Also, it sounds like BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 never saw Mystery Men

Come on Blue, you gotta stretch those creative muscles!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
As someone who has never played Shovel Knight and is waiting for the retail release, I think he could bring something neat to the Smash Bros. Round Table, if you know what I mean.

I'm a penguin.

Is that good enough?
0/10 not linux enough :)

Ok realtalk, if this is the actuall Windows logo, I would be impressed and HOPE it;s not the win10 one.....that one is so bland, win7 is good :)

D

Deleted member

Also, doesnt he dig up treasure? What if when he gigs something up it goes flying at his opponents. Additionally he could perhaps bury items and get them later. Imagin catching Peach's turnip, burying it and preventing her from spawning another.

Also, it sounds like BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 never saw Mystery Men

Come on Blue, you gotta stretch those creative muscles!
He never buries anything tho
Really, we don't need characters to have a gimmick just for the sake of having one
Though the "digging up stuff and launching it at enemies" is technically an upgrade in the game and Black Knight uses that as an attack

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Just from the top of my head, Shovel Knight can do the following:

- Swing his Shovel
- Blast a fireball
- Launch a bouncy green energy orb
- Punch through earth with giant golden gauntlets
- Swing his Shovel
- Let out a loud and powerful shockwave from a horn
- Propel himself through the air with a sword
- Ride a giant cog
- Swing his Shovel
- Throw a massive anchor
- Phase through objects and enemies with a locket
- Swing his Shovel

No potential what?

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

>Windows logo

@Flight is going to be one happy man :smirk:
Nintendo bought Microsoft. Rare is 2nd party again, Banjo and Kazooie confirmed for Smash.

Or maybe someone just accidentally pasted the image into the game files lol

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
i mean all he has is his mega buster. it just shoots energy shots and charges. that's pretty similar to what samus does.
i think he should use attacks from other capcom characters. his neutral-b throws a piece of evidence at an enemy. his final smash is that thing ammy does at the end of okami
He had lots to offer with his iconic weapons he gets from other robot masters, he didn't really need to borrow from other Capcom characters to make him stand-out.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Yep...**** the Hard Mode 100 Mario Challenge. Farthest I made it to was Level 12 and I lost my final life on a level that dropped 5 Goombas on me at the starting point before I could react.
I just skip levels like that. I love a challenge, but I'm not going to waste time on levels that make a joke out of killing me.
Aside from just bouncing on the opponent, does it really make a distinguishable playstyle?
You have someone like the Shulk who can use the Monado to change into different art forms or Rosalina being able to command Luma with her wand as the mother of cosmos. Shovel Knight's shovel, is just a shovel, what special attributes does the shovel have? It's part of the reason why I think Sakurai will pull a few moves from other indies to make him a bit more distinct as a fighter in addition to his shovel.
He's got the scoops.

Besides being able to plant, he's got the ground wave, the shovel drop, could fling dirt, maybe even attack with his horned helmet or something. The way you swing a shovel is different from how you swing a sword. Plus, he's got plenty of relics for his special attacks: Flare wand, Dust Knuckles, Propeller Dagger, War Horn, Phase Locket, etc.

Straight up lifting moves from other indies is a silly idea, one that Nintendo would have no business doing IMO, especially not without permission from the various companies they would be taking from.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
He made Duck Hunt work by borrowing a few moves from other Zapper games, what's stopping Shovel Knight from giving a few moves/nods to other indies to make him more distinct.
Bingo, Zapper games.

AKA a Nintendo product that Sakurai thought that Duck Hunt would rep well because he was easily the most recognized icon from the NES era that used the Zapper. On top of that, most of the Zapper games focused on shooting stuff, which easily tied into Duck Hunt's fighter. Shovel Knight and other indies wouldnt mix as well, and it wouldnt look as right as seeing Duck Hunt just pull out a can or a clay pigeon and then get shot at by the Zapper.

D

Deleted member

While we're at it, let's bring Snake back and give him a whip and some cartoonish bombs. His moveset totally isn't out of character now. :troll:

Chrono.

Again, "Indie" isn't a genre, indie just means self-published, there's no reason for Shovel Knight to borrow from other characters of indie games just cause he comes from one too.

That's like saying Shulk should get spells from Final Fantasy just because they're all JRPGs.

Also the Zapper stuff is tied to Nintendo's history, which DH is the more or less pioneer of. The comparison doesn't work.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
He never buries anything tho
Really, we don't need characters to have a gimmick just for the sake of having one
Though the "digging up stuff and launching it at enemies" is technically an upgrade in the game and Black Knight uses that as an attack
Fair enough, however I'm just giving an example of things than can be done with a shovel, which was the question Blue asked. That said, I'm personally ok with a few creative liberties. Plenty of well known characters in the roster had it done to them already. Maybe my memory is bad but outside of smash I've never seen Bowser grab and body slam someone, or Princess Peach smack the piss out of someone with her crown, or Fox do anything he does (beside blaster and land master); however, those are all things that people can imagine those characters doing. I think that's just as important as using the source material. Besides, using a shovel to actually bury things is pretty tame compared to what was done to some of the 1st parties.

Additionally, I bought shovel knight months ago but havent started it yet. I need to get on that.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Fixed that for you
Are they really iconic weapons you make it out to be. As far as I'm concerned, he's widely known for his shovel as a weapon, and not much else with the other relics.

Bingo, Zapper games.

AKA a Nintendo product that Sakurai thought that Duck Hunt would rep well because he was easily the most recognized icon from the NES era that used the Zapper. On top of that, most of the Zapper games focused on shooting stuff, which easily tied into Duck Hunt's fighter. Shovel Knight and other indies wouldnt mix as well, and it wouldnt look as right as seeing Duck Hunt just pull out a can or a clay pigeon and then get shot at by the Zapper.
Point taken, you got me when it came to the mixing part. For the record I'm not trying to detract Shovel Knight, I just think people are over exaggerating the shovel's uniqueness and that creative liberties should be taken.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Point taken, you got me when it came to the mixing part. For the record I'm not trying to detract Shovel Knight, I just think people are over exaggerating the shovel's uniqueness.
Except that no one has really said "gimme mah Shovl Nite cause muh Shovel". People see that he has an arsenal of Relics at hand. Why not use those too?

Last edited:
I just think people are over exaggerating the shovel's uniqueness.
And this is where the first problem lies. First off from what little experience of shovel knight I have (none) Shovel knight has as much potential as any other one handed sword user because of the way it is used and more from being a shovel. Secong (and the point of this post) is it isn't just the shovel that would make him unique. The relics are quite a bit to make him unique. Mega man would be hillariously boring if he just used his mega buster and not the other abilities he was given.

Jeez i'm defending a character I don't want. . .

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Are they really iconic weapons you make it out to be. As far as I'm concerned, he's widely known for his shovel as a weapon, and not much else with the other relics.
I don't exactly see how this would stop them from giving him relics.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I for one just hope he comes with a final Smash that stuns every fighter, turns their names into things like Buttman, Buttlina, and Butt Hunt, while he proceeds to smack them off the stage.

Yes, I know he has things with better potential for a FS, but nothing would be more hilarious.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I wish they would put the Penguin suit into Mario Maker.
It effectively gives you an Ice Flower in the process of being able to slide.
And look Cool
The thing is, they would have to supplement Super Mario Bros and Super Mario World as well, which dont really contain Aquatic power ups. Maybe give Penguin to New and World and Frog to 1 and 3?

EDIT- Oh hai der 3000 posts

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom