• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Huh... interesting.
Companies are apparently starting to combine the Wii U/3DS products in one section under a huge Nintendo banner. Now, this is nothing new. But the kicker is some of the characters (namely Pikachu and Link) are using original renders made for that specific purpose. This really doesn't mean anything, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
so intresting maro maker discovery when yoshi spits out a dry bones its shoots out 3 bones in a a spread pattern

So for whatever reason Nikki, the Splatoon data miner, is claiming there will be a direct on the 14th for some reason

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I have absolutely no idea how a data miner would have info on a direct.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So for whatever reason Nikki, the Splatoon data miner, is claiming there will be a direct on the 14th for some reason

How could you figure out that from data mining?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Here's an idea for Shovel Knight, what if he had moves based on many other indie games?
Perhaps giving Shovel Knight the Polar Star from Cave Story for a U-Air or giving Shovel Knight a few of the dances from Shantae as taunts, or giving him Max's gun from Mutant Mudds. I think that's the only way I could accept Shovel Knight as a character more TBH, a little bit of everything we like about indie games.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Thats just it, They wouldn't have info on one at all

Sounds like they are talking out of their ass to me

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

Err... what's the context here?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here's an idea for Shovel Knight, what if he had moves based on many other indie games?
Perhaps giving Shovel Knight the Polar Star from Cave Story for a U-Air or giving Shovel Knight a few of the dances from Shantae as taunts, or giving him Max's gun from Mutant Mudds. I think that's the only way I could accept Shovel Knight as a character more TBH, a little bit of everything we like about indie games.
That'd be awful, IMO. He's got enough on his own to work with. He doesn't need to be "indie incarnate" at all...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm confused how a dataminer would have that knowledge as well.

Also if there is a direct on that date it kind of hurts the chances of us getting anything major Smash wise on the 30th in my opinion.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Yeeaaahhh, I dunno tbh.

I believe that there will be one soon, but for a data miner to have that info? Yeah right lol.

I'll be waiting for a source first and foremost.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
That'd be awful, IMO. He's got enough on his own to work with. He doesn't need to be "indie incarnate" at all...
Personally, I think the concept of a shovel weapon is really lacking in uniqueness. Not much can be done with a shovel besides digging for treasure to make for a separate playstyle. Which is why I came up with concept of him using other moves from other indie games.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The only way I can see a dataminer knowing that is if they literally labeled certain weapon/map files as "TBA8-13" or something similar.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I for one think a shovel has a ton of potential as a weapon. It's one of the main reasons I'm okay with Butt Butt joining the fray.

D

Deleted member

That would be terrible
You would basically have a character that looks like SK but doesn't play like him
If it was something like getting moves from a similar game(despite being unnecessary), I could try to understand but giving him moves from other character just because they're "indie" makes no sense
Indies don't share anything besides the fact they are, well, small independent companies
It would be like having Mario using Sonic's moves

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The only way I can see a dataminer knowing that is if they literally labeled certain weapon/map files as "TBA8-13" or something similar.
That doesn't really equate to a direct though. That could easily just be an announcement made on the 13th for that game alone.

Personally, I think the concept of a shovel weapon is really lacking in uniqueness. Not much can be done with a shovel besides digging for treasure to make for a separate playstyle. Which is why I came up with concept of him using other moves from other indie games.
Doesn't he have magic and other weapons from the relics? I know he has a dash dagger or some kind of move to do a charge attack. (EDIT it's called the propeller dagger.) Pretty sure he isn't limited to just shoveling.

Even then making him a pure "rep" is a really bad idea. Not only does it not make any sense but there is no good reason for him to be "repping" things. . .

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's the epitome of the whole "rep" fallacy put into a character.

It's at that point where all of his entire character is stripped away. He'd no longer be Shovel Knight. He'd be "Indie Rep" and nothing more. Plus I can't see Yacht Club Games agreeing to that at all, and for good reason. "Yeah, we want Shovel Knight in Smash Bros. But don't worry! He'll be using things that aren't even in his game, or even his company!"

There's no good reason to do it. Uniqueness for uniqueness' sake isn't right in this case. You don't see Greninja going around using a sentry-styled moveset borrowed from the TF2 Engineer just because we already have Sheik as a ninja, after all...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Change the word "Shovel" for "Sword"
Read your post
Then tell me if it sounds familiar

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If I post a picture and don't black out god damn, I'm not censor dodging, right?
As a general rule, if it's not censored on the site, it's a safe bet. In this case, since it didn't get auto censored when you wrote it out, it's fine.

Zekrom101

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zekrom101
I think you forgot the relicts he could use

Chrono.

Nikki doesn't know when the direct is, she's making a guess (which she clarifies on her Twitter).

D

Deleted member

Then tell me what the shovel can do make it stand out from other characters besides grounding opponents.
Pogo stick is one of his signature moves for god's sake
He also has a bunch of relics he can use
Plus, he could borrow moves from the other Knights, like Propeller Knight's thrusting attack or Specter Knight's slash attack

Last edited by a moderator:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
C'mon people, no one's cleared this level in 100+ attempts!
7A0E-0000-005F-5046 "Save the Bricks!"

If you need help beating any of the puzzles, here's my first successful playthrough (from the original version of the stage, but the second part is the only one that's different, and the same strategy works).

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Then tell me what the shovel can do make it stand out from other characters besides grounding opponents.
Have you played Shovel Knight? Serious question, since Shovel Knight has more than just the Shovel.

First of all, its a Shovel. Period. Thats pretty **** unique if you ask me. "But all the Shovel can do is poke and bury people." Swords can poke people too y'know. And how many of those do we have? The Shovel can also be worked around burying opponents and tossing dirt/etc from the ground. Besides, Shovel Knight has an array of relics that will make him stand out as much as Link. This aint no simple gardening. The man who wields a shovel is the one who'll be digging your grave.

AreJay25

Sakurai will make Shovel Knight work. (if he's playable.)

That is all.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Nikki doesn't know when the direct is, she's making a guess (which she clarifies on her Twitter).

So it's nothing, then.

Also read her timeline and you will see to not take much of what she says seriously.

Chrono.

Shovel Knight has no business taking moves from other indie characters because
  • He has more than enough from his own game to pull from
  • Shovel Knight isn't this huge juggernaut of indie characters (hell, no one is, there's no such thing as The Indie Character™)
Him taking moves from other indie characters isn't really reasonable in the slightest.

AreJay25

Shovel Knight's like one of the LAST characters I'd expect to be called "not unique enough".

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Pogo stick is one of his sogbature moves for god's sake.
He also has a bunch of relics he can use
Plus, he could borrow moves from the other Knights, like Propeller Knight's thrusting attack or Specter Knight's slash attack
Aside from just bouncing on the opponent, does it really make a distinguishable playstyle?
You have someone like the Shulk who can use the Monado to change into different art forms or Rosalina being able to command Luma with her wand as the mother of cosmos. Shovel Knight's shovel, is just a shovel, what special attributes does the shovel have? It's part of the reason why I think Sakurai will pull a few moves from other indies to make him a bit more distinct as a fighter in addition to his shovel.

Have you played Shovel Knight? Serious question, since Shovel Knight has more than just the Shovel.

First of all, its a Shovel. Period. Thats pretty **** unique if you ask me. "But all the Shovel can do is poke and bury people." Swords can poke people too y'know. And how many of those do we have? The Shovel can also be worked around burying opponents and tossing dirt/etc from the ground. Besides, Shovel Knight has an array of relics that will make him stand out as much as Link. This aint no simple gardening. The man who wields a shovel is the one who'll be digging your grave.
For the record, I already played through the whole game of Shovel Knight and I am a big of supporter of Shovel Knight myself with its accomplishment of being the best retro-esque game I played, I think people are over exaggerating what Shovel Knight can offer when it comes to just his shovel.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
And then you wonder why you get banned :rolleyes:
BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11

Have you even played Shovel Knight? You can't really say a character's not unique if you haven't even played their games.

Could you stop bringing this up, please?

I'm not the one starting flame wars, you are.
Cmon guys, lets drop this before it goes any further.

Were having a nice time discussing Butt Butt

For the record, I already played through the whole game of Shovel Knight and I am a big of supporter of Shovel Knight myself with its accomplishment of being the best retro-esque game I played, I think people are over exaggerating what Shovel Knight can offer when it comes to just his shovel.
Thats awesome! Shovel Knight is an amazing game and I applaud anyone who plays it and enjoys it.

Back onto my topic, Shovel Knight doesnt need to be centered on just the Shovel. Most sword users have more weapons or attacks at their command than just their Sword. (Ex, Link with Bombs, Ike with Aether, Meta Knight with Mach Tornado). Its not always the main weapon that makes someone unique, but rather the main weapon and their sub weapons that really adds some flavor to their moveset.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom