• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
People who think the Mii costumes are what kills potential new characters are looking at it all wrong.
The Mii costumes being made as consolation because they couldn't include them for some other reason preemptively is much more likely.
For example, maybe Sakurai passed on Inklings because he didn't see the Ink mechanic being feasible on Smash 3DS, or maybe King K. Rool is being saved for the next game or something.
This is actually my thoughts. I'll leave it at this:

Would Rather K Rool and inkling( or insert some other big " Deconfirmed character here") as DLC. When next game, we can get massive hitters, who will have more time worked on them to make them amazing fighters, as DLC is more limited. SO why settle for say a generic K rool or Inkling moveset for them as newcomers, or wait till the next game, where they can be fleshed out more and have much better moves and possibly even a unique gimmick that would be hard to input as DLC. Plus they would each get bonus content with them and we could have some amazingly done trailers for them. Personally, I would be perfectly fine if characters like K rool, Inkling, etc are saved for next game, so more can be done with them. I think it could be a good marketing move as well. For DLC, they can throw popular choices in as well as one's we wouldn't normally get( such as Ryu) and they would all sell really well and make DLC a success. Then next game, there would still be some really Hype inducing characters that can be brought in. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if something like this is the case, and the mii costumes are nods to characters they may not want in this game, but could do for the next game.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I meant he still has the crown, not that He throws it. Also, there isn't really a substitute for the Inkling's weapons in name is there. I just don't see them happening, if they were included, don't you think we'd get the characters first? (Do not bring up Meta Knight, that costume comes with the game)

The point he was making is that the crown is part Rool's moveset, not the fact he simply wears one.

As for the Splattershot: Shooting ink, not explosives and lasers, is what makes an Inking an Inkling.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So no, the costumes are not full-on replacements for the actual characters. You wouldn't be buying the same character twice. You'd be buying them once, and a costume once.
Even with your otherwise fair logic you're kind of still buying the same character twice in practice. It's just you're buying them as a costume and as a fighter.

Just saying.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
There's reason to consider the rumor since this source has leaked things in the past, but even Tamaki isn't fully confident in it. It's best to just wait and see.
I dont personally believe the rumor(Dont trust tama...Like at all.Respect him but i wouldn't trust him as far as i could throw him).I personally think shovel knight can get in on his own merits

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
People are still calling pre-ballot costumes as 100% newcomer killers?
Who ever said it was 100%? Nothing is 100% until it is officially confirmed. No one thinks Mii costumes are "100% newcomer killers," just that it's likely they mean the character isn't coming.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Who ever said it was 100%? Nothing is 100% until it is officially confirmed. No one thinks Mii costumes are "100% newcomer killers," just that it's likely they mean the character isn't coming.
Pretty much sums it up.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Honestly? This Mii Costume thing won't end until Sakurai comments on it himself.

That's how all the Ridley debates died, and that's how this will die too.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I meant he still has the crown, not that He throws it. Also, there isn't really a substitute for the Inkling's weapons in name is there. I just don't see them happening, if they were included, don't you think we'd get the characters first? (Do not bring up Meta Knight, that costume comes with the game)
For the K. Rool thing, see Wario Bros.'s post.

And no, I don't. Splatoon wasn't even released yet when they decided to make the costumes. It's become huge since release, so of course I'd think they'd still want to make them playable since now they know they'd sell.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
You really shouldn't say "No one thinks Mii costumes are "100% newcomer killers" Cuz there are some people that does, some one WILL be that person, just like someone thinks that the Mii Costumes don't mean anything against a character, like myself and Opossum, while there's some that are neutral or just think it just hurts their chances a little.

I honstly just don't see Mii Coustume = Deconfirmed, I honestly don't think they mean anything, but I do get those that think they may lessen their chances, but again, no one knows for sure unless Nintendo states otherwise.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
No...you're not. You're buying a costume and a character.
Yet they are still the same character. A costume based on the character and the character themselves.

In the case of King K. Rool should he come to Smash, there would be a costume based on him and the King himself. Same character, just in different forms, and there are people who would buy both.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
For the K. Rool thing, see Wario Bros.'s post.

And no, I don't. Splatoon wasn't even released yet when they decided to make the costumes. It's become huge since release, so of course I'd think they'd still want to make them playable since now they know they'd sell.
See Parallel Falcon's post.

Also see LIQUID12A's posts.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
See Parallel Falcon's post.

Also see LIQUID12A's posts.
You see, when I said to see someone's post, it was because it was relevant.

Neither of those two posts are relevant to the main point of my post.

No. . .no there are definitely people, many people, who think mii costumes are newcomers killers. Especially back when the inkling one was revealed.

They have no information to prove it but they believe it for sure.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have a theory that Sakurai isn't saying anything about certain Mii costumes because he doesn't
want to tell us that those are his responses to the ballot requests with resources running out and
that not all could be implement as characters.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I have a theory that Sakurai isn't saying anything about certain Mii costumes because he doesn't
want to tell us that those are his responses to the ballot requests with resources running out and
Then why did he add the costumes before the Ballot was over in the first place?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You see, when I said to see someone's post, it was because it was relevant.

Neither of those two posts are relevant to the main point of my post.
It was relevant because of the fact that I just think it's their fate, actually wait, why in the world would Sakurai release a costume for K. Rool out of nowhere unless it was connected to the ballot, exactally, he wouldn't, it just wouldn't make sense. As for the Inklings, it's not just their costume, they have a PAID FOR TROPHY, which would mean of they were in you'd essentially be paying for two trophies of the Inkling. Technically three. It was a way to promote Splatoon. It's just speculation, but in terms of K. Rool, I think it's Sakurai's way of saying it won't happen, but you still get the costume, so that's still good, and not all is list. I think we've discussed this enough, but of you really want to you can bring up more on this topic.
Wow, thanks for summing up everything I thought! :)

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yet they are still the same character. A costume based on the character and the character themselves.

In the case of King K. Rool should he come to Smash, there would be a costume based on him and the King himself. Same character, just in different forms, and there are people who would buy both.
No, you don't understand. You're NOT buying the same character twice. You're buying a skin based on them for a completely different character.
Getting the character for both versions IS technically buying them twice. But not the costumes.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
No, you don't understand. You're NOT buying the same character twice. You're buying a skin based on them for a completely different character.
Getting the character for both versions IS technically buying them twice. But not the costumes.
Fair enough. I'll concede the argument on my end.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Something I could imagine Sakurai if he does answer the question regarding the costumes.

"Like I said before since the beginning, not every requested character can be answered through developing them as fighters. Which is why I chose to give the fans a costume instead."

I don't know why Sakurai hasn't said it sooner though.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It was relevant because of the fact that I just think it's their fate, actually wait, why in the world would Sakurai release a costume for K. Rool out of nowhere unless it was connected to the ballot, exactally, he wouldn't, it just wouldn't make sense. As for the Inklings, it's not just their costume, they have a PAID FOR TROPHY, which would mean of they were in you'd essentially be paying for two trophies of the Inkling. Technically three. It was a way to promote Splatoon. It's just speculation, but in terms of K. Rool, I think it's Sakurai's way of saying it won't happen, but you still get the costume, so that's still good, and not all is list. I think we've discussed this enough, but of you really want to you can bring up more on this topic.

Wow, thanks for summing up everything I thought! :)
The inkling trophy was free I think.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So many arguments, jeez. Probably wont compare to the meltdown that will happen when the first Ballot character is revealed though.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Something I could imagine Sakurai if he does answer the question regarding the costumes.

"Like I said before since the beginning, not every requested character can be answered through developing them as fighters. Which is why I chose to give the fans a costume instead."
Huh, that actually does seem like a very logical reason, I think that the costumes have benefits, for characters that couldn't be included, they get at the very least, something.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
If they don't have resources to make someone like King K.Rool, they should never started the ballot at first place.
What they are expecting ? Build the most voted character that is easy to build cloning someone?
That's stupid.

The ballot will give us one OR MORE DLC from it, and I really think Sakurai will build the most voted and his favorite in the top 20.
My hope in K.Rool+Dixie(both, with Dixie being a semi-clone unfortunately) is not over yet.
It will be next year... (I have this feeling he will troll hard the DK fanbase again) but is not over now.
I think Inkling will become a character in Smash 4 too.
I like to be positive and bet in 8 or 10 DLC's.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title

I don't know why Sakurai hasn't said it sooner though.
I would imagine outright dis-confirming characters in a middle of the ballot wouldn't be in good form I think.

If they don't have resources to make someone like King K.Rool, they should never started the ballot at first place.
What they are expecting ? Build the most voted character that is easy to build cloning someone?
That's stupid.

The ballot will give us one OR MORE DLC from it, and I really think Sakurai will build the most voted and his favorite in the top 20.
My hope in K.Rool+Dixie(both, with Dixie being a semi-clone unfortunately) is not over yet.
It will be next year... (I have this feeling he will troll hard the DK fanbase again) but is not over now.
I think Inkling will become a character in Smash 4 too.
I like to be positive and bet in 8 or 10 DLC's.
The ballot is not a poll. It's a suggestion box. A character being the most voted doesn't mean anything.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It was relevant because of the fact that I just think it's their fate, actually wait, why in the world would Sakurai release a costume for K. Rool out of nowhere unless it was connected to the ballot, exactally, he wouldn't, it just wouldn't make sense.
First off, don't do the bolded. Putting words in others' mouths makes you come off as rude. Secondly, because he's a popular character, even disregarding the ballot. It would sell. Hell, I'd bank on it being the way to test the waters, so to speak, for K. Rool DLC. In other words, "Hmm...he seems pretty popular on the ballot. Let's make a costume so we'd have a rough estimate of how much a real K. Rool would sell."

As for the Inklings, it's not just their costume, they have a PAID FOR TROPHY, which would mean of they were in you'd essentially be paying for two trophies of the Inkling. Technically three. It was a way to promote Splatoon.
You didn't pay for the trophy, it came for free with the costumes. And Lucas and Mewtwo already prove that trophies mean nothing.

It's just speculation, but in terms of K. Rool, I think it's Sakurai's way of saying it won't happen, but you still get the costume, so that's still good, and not all is list. I think we've discussed this enough, but of you really want to you can bring up more on this topic.
I think that saying the costumes are a way of saying "these won't happen" is pretty baseless.

D

Deleted member

I think Mii costumes mean literally nothing. It's not like Samus, Link, and Meta Knight's odds were.

....**** it.

It's not worth my time explaining once again why using Link, Samus, and Meta Knight as if they were valid counterexamples is asinine.

All I'm going to say is this: The K. Rool costume isn't necessarily a disconfirmation, but until we get a DLC NEWCOMER that had a FULL DLC COSTUME beforehand WITH NO TIES TO HEADGEAR/OUTFITS PREVIOUSLY AVAILABLE ON THE STREETPASS MII PLAZA the costume isn't a good sign.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So many arguments, jeez. Probably wont compare to the meltdown that will happen when the first Ballot character is revealed though.
That is, if the first Ballot character is a perceived nobody compared to the ones everyone wants.

Or Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

....**** it.

It's not worth my time explaining once again why using Link, Samus, and Meta Knight as if they were valid counterexamples is asinine.

All I'm going to say is this: The K. Rool costume isn't necessarily a disconfirmation, but until we get a DLC NEWCOMER that had a FULL DLC COSTUME beforehand WITH NO TIES TO HEADGEAR/OUTFITS PREVIOUSLY AVAILABLE ON THE STREETPASS MII PLAZA the costume isn't a good sign.
Just saying, they could have just chosen to not bring them over from Mii Plaza. But they chose to do so anyway. Hence, I don't see why a character having a costume matters at all.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
First off, don't do the bolded. Putting words in others' mouths makes you come off as rude. Secondly, because he's a popular character, even disregarding the ballot. It would sell. Hell, I'd bank on it being the way to test the waters, so to speak, for K. Rool DLC. In other words, "Hmm...he seems pretty popular on the ballot. Let's make a costume so we'd have a rough estimate of how much a real K. Rool would sell."

You didn't pay for the trophy, it came for free with the costumes. And Lucas and Mewtwo already prove that trophies mean nothing.

I think that saying the costumes are a way of saying "these won't happen" is pretty baseless.
You payed for the costumes to get the trophy. So technically, it's played for. Also I wasn't trying to come across as rude. It's just that K. Rool is a character that hasn't appeared in a game outside of cameos, it was more of a way of saying that it was very coincidental, but I definitely didn't say it the right way. Now I think we've gone on enough, but if there's anything else you want to say, I'll let it.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Just saying, they could have just chosen to not bring them over from Mii Plaza. But they chose to do so anyway. Hence, I don't see why a character having a costume matters at all.
Seems like an unlikely possibility, considering some of the Streetpass hats are in the base game, it's easy to assume they came from there.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Seems like an unlikely possibility, considering some of the Streetpass hats are in the base game, it's easy to assume they came from there.
I'm saying that if it were really an issue, they'd have just not ported them over. But because they did port them over, they obviously don't see a big deal with having costumes of playable characters.
You payed for the costumes to get the trophy. So technically, it's played for. Also I wasn't trying to come across as rude. It's just that K. Rool is a character that hasn't appeared in a game outside of cameos, it was more of a way of saying that it was very coincidental, but I definitely didn't say it the right way. Now I think we've gone on enough, but if there's anything else you want to say, I'll let it.
You paid for the costumes, not the trophy. Costume cost as much as any other costume, so yes, the trophy was free. And why does the "hasn't appeared" thing matter when the ballot is decided based on popularity?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
And before anyone takes that the wrong way. I am in no way actually saying any of you are ratchet people.

I just wish we could go more than 10 pages without breaking into heated arguments in this joint.

D

Deleted member

.....what kind of logic is that?

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Contrary to many people, I actually think Shovel Knight would be a great addition to Smash 4.

He's sort of popular, has a unique moveset, really represents the resurrection of 2D platformers and I feel he would really fit in with the rest of the cast.

Shovel Knight would definitely be a great/cool choice :D (in my opinion). Although, there aren't any characters that I want in Smash. So, maybe that's why I'm not opposed to him?

Last edited:

Soul.

People take the word "argument" way too literally.

Can't have a generous speculative discussion with the word existing. Like I don't understand. Do all of you like arguing this much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom