• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yokai Watch in the West is going to be interesting. Especially if it's labelled as a "Pokemon clone" (because Stafy being a "Kirby clone" did so well for it).
I hope it doesn't. I think the Yokai Watch team did a good job with advertising. Now they just need to post the Youkai Taissou Daichi song in english and I think Yokai Watch will be a hit.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I hope it doesn't. I think the Yokai Watch team did a good job with advertising. Now they just need to post the Youkai Taissou Daichi song in english and I think Yokai Watch will be a hit.
Do you know what happened to LBX in the West? :(

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Honestly I highly doubt one song is going to make all the difference. And advertising can only go so far before people start playing the game.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I'm personally a little more neutral on SMD; Gates to Infinity tarnished my personal interest in the series (primarily due to the incredibly low amount of content and playable Pokemon in the game). I think GTI had some interesting ideas but nowhere near enough content (the lack of having some incredibly broken team members like legendaries was something I greatly missed). I did like how the graphics evolved, the mechanics with AR, and the way some missions were done, but it was a great letdown that the game just didn't have as much content in many ways. While hunger was removed, I felt the need to run away a lot more because of PP worries and ended up liking the old mechanic better.

My personal favorite of the games still remains Darkness and Time, and I guess Sky. The massive amount of bonus missions and things not hidden behind DLC was a thrill back in the day.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Don't know TBH, I haven't heard news about LBX since the release.
It didn't do so well sadly. This is because the anime was released before the game on modern Nickelodeon of all places, causing average reviews and poor sales. Sad isn't it? :(

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Honestly I highly doubt one song is going to make all the difference. And advertising can only go so far before people start playing the game.
That one song took Japan by storm when it was first released.
As long as Hasbro and Level-5 do their advertising job right, I think it will be a hit.
How did Hasbro do when it came to their franchises they advertised in stores?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Honestly, people trying to say that Duck Hunt was derived from Kingdom Hearts Pluto was far more hilarious than the Mac/Shulk comparison. I also loved that Doc Mario image that people would not stop posting that just did not match up with the ESRB Doc model.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
That one song took Japan by storm when it was first released.
As long as Hasbro and Level-5 do their advertising job right, I think it will be a hit.
How did Hasbro do when it came to their franchises they advertised in stores?
I don't know about Hasbro. The only things I know from them are MLP and Transformers.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Honestly, people trying to say that Duck Hunt was derived from Kingdom Hearts Pluto was far more hilarious than the Mac/Shulk comparison. I also loved that Doc Mario image that people would not stop posting that just did not match up with the ESRB Doc model.
Yeah, the over-anilization was incredibly annoying.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Don't know TBH, I haven't heard news about LBX since the release.
IIRC, I don't think it has sold too well. Marketing for it has significantly dropped off. It has a 74 on Metacritic right now, with more of a mixed result, being written as "something underwhelming and feeling a bit like another kid's RPG". Main issues seem to come from the lack of online multiplayer (which, for a game like this, it definitely helps given the premise of the game) and the game generally being tedious and having a washy story. Again, it's something that will no doubt remain much more popular in Japan.

I've personally found it to be incredibly underwhelming, ala Fossil Fighters. It has this interesting premise but honestly has too many flaws to call it something beyond decent.

Last edited:

Soul.

Gates wasn't bad. It was underwhelming for sure, but not to the point that it's a bad game. People just say it's bad, and I think a "bad PMD game" would be something like the WiiWare titles. Gates at least feels like a PMD game.

It had the potential to be great, but you know mistakes happen. No, the game itself wasn't a mistake. It was more so how it worked, with the few Pokémon available as an example. Then a snowy thing being the final boss.

EoT/D/S are still the best games. Super Mystery Dungeon is decent so far, but I expect reviewers to give it a mediocre score as always.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
My personal favorite of the games still remains Darkness and Time, and I guess Sky. The massive amount of bonus missions and things not hidden behind DLC was a thrill back in the day.
I still hate how they portrayed Darkrai in these games even though I understand the gist of why.

):

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And the Bowser Jr. render. Don't forget how they loved to say it was a certain render.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Today I learned LBX wasn't a licensed game made to support a children's anime.

Because my God that's how all the marketing made it seem. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what stopped people from buying it, especially due to the stigma against licensed games.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Because my God that's how all the marketing made it seem. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what stopped people from buying it, especially due to the stigma against licensed games.
Yeah, imo It's some of the worst marketing I've ever seen.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, imo It's some of the worst marketing I've ever seen.
Seriously, the thing that did it for me was the Nintendo Direct. IIRC, they showed the trailer for the anime before introducing the game.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Seriously, the thing that did it for me was the Nintendo Direct. IIRC, they showed the trailer for the anime before introducing the game.
For me it was when Bill said it was on Nickelodeon. Nuff said.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer

Honestly makes me wonder how Yokai Watch will do. I don't plan on picking it up because I don't feel drawn into it. I mean, LBX's animation is on Nick, and Yokai on Disney XD?

It's no surprise, personally.

I think the game will have some critical success, yes, but the way they're marketing these games makes me feel like they're expecting some pretty big sales from the game. Not every new IP will be a hit like Splatoon, even if it was in another region, and I can see Yokai Watch becoming this. In other words, some copies will sell and it may do decent, but I doubt the game will become an insane phenomenon like it has in Japan.

Sadly, this being said, it kind of had me a bit worried. I get that they want to make the game a success, but having an anime and then having the game come after? Anime to Game and vice versa is quite strange; there have been successful ones (most of the Dragon Ball Z games from anime, the Persona 3 movies, most of the Naruto games by CyberConnect2) but there have been some pretty bad ones as well (Persona 4's animation, Attack on Titan outside of the Fenglee game, Danganronpa's animation, and, technically, Sonic Boom).

LBX is one of those games that is going to be marked as a licensed game even though it really isn't. Just a matter of poor placement in marketing that felt too aggressive.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Nickelodeon is just a giant cesspool of awful these days.

A portion of their shows being game-based doesn't help.

Sadly, this being said, it kind of had me a bit worried. I get that they want to make the game a success, but having an anime and then having the game come after?.
This reminds me of Mighty No. 9 and it's cartoon alongside the game.

Except that I can't tell which is handled worse.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Let's not forget the fact that the duck's neck was too long.
To clarify, that image was made by another author related to the leaks to actually discredit it, along with a Shulk image. No names on the author out of respect, but I'm pretty sure it was done to prevent the leaker in the group from getting into actual trouble; however, that certainly failed when Shulk was revealed.

This reminds me of Mighty No. 9 and it's cartoon alongside the game.

Except that I can't tell which is handled worse.
Okay, I like the aethetics of MN9, including the 3D. But I don't think having a cartoon established until after the game is actually launched is a good idea when both your game and demo get delayed multiple times, and your first appearance is in a spinoff from a game announced after yours that gets launched, before yours even does.

I think that MN9 will end up doing really well for it's design, at least critically; I have no idea how it will do with all of this controversy over the delays, Red Ash, and the flak Comcept has gotten lately.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
LMAO WHAT

That is straight up crazy and delusional.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Honestly makes me wonder how Yokai Watch will do. I don't plan on picking it up because I don't feel drawn into it. I mean, LBX's animation is on Nick, and Yokai on Disney XD?

It's no surprise, personally.

I think the game will have some critical success, yes, but the way they're marketing these games makes me feel like they're expecting some pretty big sales from the game. Not every new IP will be a hit like Splatoon, even if it was in another region, and I can see Yokai Watch becoming this. In other words, some copies will sell and it may do decent, but I doubt the game will become an insane phenomenon like it has in Japan..
Yokai Watch did decently well when the game first came out. Around 100,000 copies in the first week. But the Yokai Watch toys and anime really made the franchise soar to new heights some months later after the first game's release.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I actually don't remember that excuse.
Hoho, let me tell you...

It was a real thing, and it was annoyingly widespread. The argument was based on the fact that the duck's head position in the render indicated its neck would be a certain length, which was longer than the ones from the ducks in the Melee Duck Hunt trophy. Yes, this was real.

So I responded by saying that there's no canon length for a real duck's neck, and that its size fluctuates, and that "too long" is a terrible argument, while using the picture below.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't see why it being on Nickelodeon was the final nail. Oh sure it's had crappy shows, but that doesn't mean everything it touches will die.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I don't see why it being on Nickelodeon was the final nail. Oh sure it's had crappy shows, but that doesn't mean everything it touches will die.
Because if your anime is in the same network as Breadwinners, than you'll be in trouble.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Hoho, let me tell you...

It was a real thing, and it was annoyingly widespread. The argument was based on the fact that the duck's head position in the render indicated its neck would be a certain length, which was longer than the ones from the ducks in the Melee Duck Hunt trophy. Yes, this was real.

So I responded by saying that there's no canon length for a real duck's neck, and that its size fluctuates, and that "too long" is a terrible argument, while using the picture below.
Quack, Quack.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Because if your anime is in the same network as Breadwinners, than you'll be in trouble.
...Yeah I still don't get it. Okay, it had Breadwinners whoop-dee-doo. I don't see why an unrelated series will make LBX worse.

Hoho, let me tell you...

And yet somehow I'm not surprised this was a thing.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Yokai Watch did decently well when the game first came out. Around 100,000 copies in the first week. But the Yokai Watch toys and anime really made the franchise soar to new heights some months later after the first game's release.
In Japan, that is. The game was made for Japan's culture and it skyrocketed because of the fact that it all clicked together.

We don't know how it's going to be received by the public in the states, being an entirely different culture; it may be incredibly successful and turn into the next hit or fad, or it very may well just do critically successful and possibly flop because of the fact that it may not be well liked in the market as a whole. There's also the fact that we've got well over a month before the first game even drops.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
...Yeah I still don't get it. Okay, it had Breadwinners whoop-dee-doo. I don't see why an unrelated series will make LBX worse.

And yet somehow I'm not surprised this was a thing.
Because that series was bad, along with modern Spongebob, Sanjay and Craig and fanboy and chum chum. So of it's on the same network, it could eaisily be associated, incedently.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
We're speaking about last year's shenanigans and I was browsing topics regarding Ridley...

Anyway, trivia about renders in Smash 4:
- The hilt of Lucina's Falchion is bigger in her render than it is during gameplay. The render is "canon" so to speak, while the in-game model has the size to match Marth's animations. Incidentally, this also happens in Fire Emblem: Awakening, with art implying the Falchion has a big hilt, but the in-game model sizes it to better fit with the other swords' sizes and her in-game animations (mostly shared with the Swordmaster class). The FEA cutscenes and the Smash trailer done by the same animation studio have the bigger size used. Project X Zone 2 also uses the bigger size, dictated by concept art.
- Rosalina wields her wand in her right hand on the render, but on the left hand during gameplay.
- Dr. Mario's tie is fastened in the render, but more loose during gameplay.

In all above examples, the Classic trophies reflect the renders, but their Alt. trophies reflect their in-game model.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom