• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Sonic fanbase learned to let go of Shadow and 06 pretty quickly.

Metroid fanbase still hasn't let go of Other M.

Just saying.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Here are the last two complaints I found, "Why doesn't Sonic lose rings when hit?" "Why didn't they base his move set off his classic games, like Pac-Man and Mega Man?" They left out Ryu.

Soul.

See Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts.

Good game for what it was. Still killed the series because it wan't what fans wanted.

That doesn't make the fans entitled. That would imply that the series is entitled to it's fans money. They teased a Banjo three-ie for ages and then gave a vechile crafting game.
Well, is that still a good reason to rage over a game? Like, yeah, Nuts and Bolts was Threeie once upon a time. Things change.
Obviously it's not what fans wanted, but still.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The big problem with Federation Force is the timing. Compare it to Metroid Prime Pinball, an even more off-the-wall spin-off that no one really cared about. Why? Because that one came out when the main series was still kicking. FF is happening when fans are unsure of the series future due to a hiatus after the series' worst game.
To add on to this, they actually did plan a 3DS Metroid game, but it was cancelled.
So the fact this game is on the 3DS makes it even more jarring for Metroid fans. Kinda like how AC fans were let down that the filler Animal Crossing party game was the "Wii U Animal Crossing" they were waiting on.

My issue with Federation Force is that it uses the Metroid Prime name. Why not just Metroid?
IMO, it's kinda like having a game called Twilight Princess 2 look like The Wind Waker.

If it's going to have that name, it should at least look the part. Metroid Prime is as far from cartoony as you could get. Which leads me to believe that this wasn't always a Metroid game.
Whether or not it's a good game, that's not a bright idea consider where Metroid was left off. (the baby...)

EDIT: Please nobody berate me for siding with the popular opinion of not wanting this game to be.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The Sonic fanbase gets a bad rep.

They can let go of a bad game pretty easy, they geniunely don't seem to disagree with many of Sonic's friends, they enjoy the Boom cartoon, but pretty much hate the game (the only game I still see them harp on, which is rightfully so), they can make fun of the bad parts of Sonic's history without sounding ****** and like bad fans, etc.

Honestly, what people think of Sonic fans is really what they are about Sonic themselves.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I've always seen Federation Force as a game that while probably good, should've been its own thing. At least then I doubt people would complain as much (apart from it being similar to Metroid), because while I do think some of the hate is unwarranted, I can see where many are coming from.

Edit: Sorry I posted something in the wrong place.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst

Just saying.
To be fair, they're a lot more used to having to put up with crap games than the Metroid fanbase.....

Chrono.

Here are the last two complaints I found, "Why doesn't Sonic lose rings when hit?" "Why didn't they base his move set off his classic games, like Pac-Man and Mega Man?" They left out Ryu.
In the old games all Sonic did on his own was spin jump and spin dash.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
The problem with Federation Force is going the same way as Paper Mario: Sticker Star, the fans want a new game from that series but the concept is so far away of the original that instead of being a positive point for the game is getting negative reception from the fans, the fans did not ask for another concept or genre for those series, they want a continuation from where the series left off with the core mechanics and gameplay of the past entries (maybe with new functionalities and designs).

The same can be said for example of AC: Amiibo Festival, many people expect a AC Wii U game in the same veins of past entries instead we get a wannabe Mario Party.

.n_n.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@ Kenith Kenith It's Metroid Prime because it's part of the Metroid Prime story, sharing settings and perhaps characters. Also, the gameplay on first-person perspective.

Speaking of Metroid, apparently Sakamoto was very emotionally invested in the production of Other M. It's stated he actually cried when looking at the storyboards and was really intending to make a game to impress people... Shame he was completely misguided.

Also, people said Sonic doesn't have iconic moves in Smash and only punches and kicks? Seriously? Last I checked, he has his very iconic spin dash, has the homing attack from the Adventure games and transforms into Super Sonic for the Final Smash. Those are probably the top 3 iconic moves he has, all of them in Smash.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
@ Kenith Kenith It's Metroid Prime because it's part of the Metroid Prime story, sharing settings and perhaps characters. Also, the gameplay on first-person perspective.
But that's what I mean...why is it set in the Metroid Prime universe?
To be fair, they're a lot more used to having to put up with crap games than the Metroid fanbase.....
Honestly I think there's only a handful of really crap Sonic games.
The rest of 50/50 at worst.

Last edited:

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice

Just saying.
To be fair, the Sonic fanbase got a new game within a few months, and Metroid fans have been left hanging since Other M.

Also Shadow still gets joked about and Sonic 2006 was the quintessential bad game; often the metric by which other terrible modern games are measured.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

Just saying.
The fact that I still hear complaints about these games today despite having never played a Sonic game in my life suggests otherwise...

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
I did a live reactions cast when AC Amiibo Festival....and I immediately went from YESSSSSSSSS to NOOOOOOOOO in about 3 seconds.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
It's worth noting that Sonic's normal attacks are based off of Sonic the Fighters.

So Sakurai didn't pull them out of his rear.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I do agree the petition was ****ing dumb

When a game literally physically hurts mewhen I move because Sakamoto pissed himself at Nunchucks I think it's less than lackluster, especially when it caused the 5 year drought

The weapons were literally stuff like Ice Beam, Plasma beam, etc. not to mention the fact they made a MetroidVania part of it regardless if it was the focus
And other series had it worse, and even then they don't cause this much drama. Other M is a game that had mistakes, but it should be learned from and moved on from, there's nothing gained in still bashing it.

But the thing is it was mostly an FPS and the weapons weren't completely made with progression in mind, they were specific weapons for each of the hunters you could play with. Either way, that was a deviation on Metroid's usual formula and it still didn't get that much hate for it, it was just something different that the franchise wanted to do.

To add on to this, they actually did plan a 3DS Metroid game, but it was cancelled.
So the fact this game is on the 3DS makes it even more jarring for Metroid fans. Kinda like how AC fans were let down that the filler Animal Crossing party game was the "Wii U Animal Crossing" they were waiting on.

My issue with Federation Force is that it uses the Metroid Prime name. Why not just Metroid?
IMO, it's kinda like having a game called Twilight Princess 2 look like The Wind Waker..
It's called that because it has a lot to do with the Prime subseries such as the allusions to Sylux and reusing the mechanics. Just because it's more cartoony doesn't make it not-prime, other subseries have had more drastic changes in artstyle, but still were considered a part of it.

Soul.

Look, Sonic having a Sonic Battle moveset would be nice and all but he's fine as is.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Thing with Sonic, he doesn't have much else. Only thing missing is the light speed dash, the charged up spindash from SA and SA2, the tornado from heroes, and that's about it. Actually, I think Sonic takes inspiration from Sonic The Fighters in terms of some of the moves he uses.

It's pretty known by now, but Sakurai really likes taking classic elements for the 3rd party characters. He mainly creates characters based on their most classic appearance.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Didn't Sakurai say some of Sonic's moves were based on Virtua Fighter? :sonic:

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
I actually do think that if there's any characters in this update, they're likely to be pre-ballot unless stated otherwise (or if Shovel Knight ends up being one of them, since I'm pretty sure Tama said he's a ballot pick). Definitely pre-ballot if Wolf ends up being in it.
@Tama I keep seeing this said and looking at your original post, I don't think being a ballot choice was said there. Did you say this elsewhere?

Also, Burb? How optimistic/realistic are you right now about chances of a character?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Didn't Sakurai say some of Sonic's moves were based on Virtua Fighter? :sonic:
Yeah, some of the moves are taken from Virtua Fighter.

Others are taken from Sonic the Fighters. The special moves and Final Smash are all taken from the main games.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
They were taken from Virtua Fighter and Fighting Vipers which the latter was reskinned into Sonic the Fighters.

But some inspirations were taken from a few games especially his down air being similar to a special move in Sonic Battle, most of his customs are from other Sonic games and his dash attack is like his somersault move from SA2

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Only truly bad thing about the Sonic fanbase is well......a large portion of fan-made "original" stuff.

Even then, that kind of stuff exists in nearly every large fanbase. It's far from limited to just Sonic. And you can't judge every Sonic fan just going by that, either.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

Just saying.
They're used to getting bad games though. :p I think it has to do with time. The gap between Shadow and Unleashed was 3 years and Unleashed got people thinking Sonic was getting back on track so they got over how bad the last 2 games were. After Other M we had to wait 5 years to get the announcement of Federation Force which is not at all what fans wanted, so people aren't over how bad the last game was. They're upset that they haven't gotten a good game in 8 years. They also got Sonic Rush, which was good.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Fact: all characters in Smash have at least one move taken from their original games.

Mega Man and Mr. Game & Watch are the only characters whose entire moveset references other games. Captain Falcon is the extreme opposite, only having one move inspired by the F-Zero series.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Nuts and Bolts was a really good game. Unfortunately fans couldn't look past their desire for a Banjo Threeie and enjoy it for what it was. It's basically the exact reason why Star Fox Adventures is also hated.

I think that if Banjo games had come around more frequently, Nuts and Bolts would have been a fun departure from the usual formula. But because fans had been waiting so long for Threeie, anything other than that was going to be met with unneccessary backlash.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Just a small nitpick, but I kinda wish Pac-Man had some more stuff from World.

He has the flip kick from World 2, and I guess his side-b could count but that's about it.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Also, Burb? How optimistic/realistic are you right now about chances of a character?
50/50 at the moment. I could see it going either way. The timing off the announcement seems fishy, as does the release date of the update, but at the same time, I'm not gonna be shocked if we get nothing but the SMM stage and Mii Fighter Costumes Wave 4.....or even just the stage and nothing else.

If there's something extra, I'd expect an announcement at some point next week (Either announcing a stream date or Twitter posts like there was for Wave 3).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Fact: all characters in Smash have at least one move taken from their original games.

Mega Man and Mr. Game & Watch are the only characters whose entire moveset references other games. Captain Falcon is the extreme opposite, only having one move inspired by the F-Zero series.
Which reminds me.
Raptor Boost should have a sweetspot. When you land the sweetspot of it you'll hear "YOU GOT BOOST POWER!!"

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
50/50 at the moment. I could see it going either way. The timing off the announcement seems fishy, as does the release date of the update, but at the same time, I'm not gonna be shocked if we get nothing but the SMM stage and Mii Fighter Costumes Wave 4.....or even just the stage and nothing else.

If there's something extra, I'd expect an announcement at some point next week (Either announcing a stream date or Twitter posts like there was for Wave 3).
I am also 50/50 on getting a new fighter, but I think it would be really odd if we got a game update that's not a simple balance patch and it was only one new stage. Whatever it is, I'm pretty confident we'll get something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom