• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I just got Jigglypuff and Ike's amiibo! Two more, awesome characters for Mario maker and amiibos in general .I'll have three more in just a few days, when I get, Rob, Duck Hunt, and Game and watch for my birthday! My collection is growing quite nice actually.

Soul.

What's a Wii U anyway.

Okay yeah, the system is struggling. At least it's getting games and all; I don't think they'll drop it soon, nor do I think they will with 3DS, no, not yet, but with people thinking NX will replace Wii U... that's kinda rough.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
It depends on what regions, Xbox One in Japan is not selling well or anything at all, is a miracle if they pass 1000 sales each month, so even if WiiU is not selling well in Europe or America they balance out with the 3DS that is more of a stable system across all regions.

.n_n.
That's a given. Xbox sells like crap in Japan, but the Xbox One sells even worse there. Console gaming in Japan is dying in general anyways.

And the 3DS has nothing to do with what I was saying. I'm just saying the Wii U isn't doing well at all.

They're both dying out actually.
PS4 is keping people with them by having all the exclusive DLC bonuses and such, and Sony's marketing it as a GAME console rather than "A game console that helps you watch TV." It's also got tremendous third party support (Once again, the exclusive DLC and such. Having that for CallaBooty is already a system seller for a lot of non gamers.) Plus some decent exclusives.
The Wii U is dying, no question, but Nintendo still has all their iconic first party material and a big enough fanbase that it at least wasn't a COMPLETE flop like, say, the virtual boy. It struggled like crazy at first, but as soon as Nintendo shifted over to "This System is about GAMES" rather than innovation, it got boosted up. But regardless, the lack of third party is still it's ultimate undoing.
Xbox is the one that is REALLY struggling right now. They still push the TV bit a lot. Most third parties leave them in the dust, since now SONY had the platform in which multi-platform games are primarily developed, rather than the last Gen with 360 -> PS3. The maasive controversy of the console before it even LAUNCHED was also a big hinderance. And in the end, Xbox doesn't have anything ground-breaking with its exclusives. Master Chief Collecton? Yeah, it's pretty, but I have these games... Plus the online is still busted. Rare Replay? Solid collection... But again, games I already have played/owned mostly. Project Spark? Pretty excellent, but it's a development tool that's is VERY complex for entry level people/kids, whereas Mario Maker is much more focused and easier for a kid to understand. Plus, it has a PC version... So why the hell would you get it on Xbone. Killer Instict? Would have sold me, but PC version soon Sooo nah.
Not to mentor that Japan spits in its face when they adore the PS4 and Wii u.
I won't deny what good the Wii U has. I actually love that system.

But I don't really think Japan adores the PS4 and Wii U. They're selling pretty slow there, with the PS4 only slightly outpacing the Wii U.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To be fair though, Xbox has always catered more to Western audiences. It's how Microsoft has worked with it since the first console.

Saying the Xbox one is dying because of Japan is like saying a JRPG is a commercial failure because of America.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
That's a given. Xbox sells like crap in Japan, but the Xbox One sells even worse there. Console gaming in Japan is dying in general anyways.

And the 3DS has nothing to do with what I was saying. I'm just saying the Wii U isn't doing well at all.
It's still better than XBONE.

D

Deleted member

While we're on the topic of third parties, I think that if any other company would get a rep in Smash, it should be Atlus imo
They have great 3DS support and even teamed up with IS to make Weeb EmblemXPersona FEXSMT, so relations with Nintendo are good
I see Jack Frost thrown around when people talk about this, but I'm not very well known of SMT so I can't really judge it

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Cut it out with that. That wasn't even my point at all. It's getting borderline fanboyish there.
Please calm down. Thank you. I was not "fanboying out" I was mearly stating a fact. There's a difference. I was just saying that it was doing better as a comparison.

Naoshi

Please calm down. Thank you. I was not "fanboying out" I was mearly stating a fact. There's a difference. I was just saying that it was doing better as a comparison.
The attitude gave me the otherwise impression. Saying Wii U is better than the Xbox One isn't fact, that's opinion...

It's an opinion I agree with, but I don't think that makes it fact.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The attitude gave me the otherwise impression. Saying Wii U is better than the Xbox One isn't fact, that's opinion...

It's an opinion I agree with, but I don't think that makes it fact.
Oh, you misunderstood me. I was talking about sales numbers. Sorry.

Edit: Although I agree on the opinion.

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
While we're on the topic of third parties, I think that if any other company would get a rep in Smash, it should be Atlus imo
They have great 3DS support and even teamed up with IS to make Weeb EmblemXPersona FEXSMT, so relations with Nintendo are good
I see Jack Frost thrown around when people talk about this, but I'm not very well known of SMT so I can't really judge it
Jack Frost is the closest what Atlus has of a mascot, it has appear in several series and games even using him as part of their logo (like sometimes Nintendo does with Mario).

.n_n.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

I won't deny what good the Wii U has. I actually love that system.

But I don't really think Japan adores the PS4 and Wii U. They're selling pretty slow there, with the PS4 only slightly outpacing the Wii U.
Lol, fair point. But I guess morso, my point is the Xbox One isn't just doing bad there, it's doing pitiful. Japan has pretty much come to accept that Xbox systems don't have much to offer them.
Obviously Xbox is more catered to the west, but japan is still a big market. Nintendo and Sony have a presence both here AND in japan.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Jack Frost is the closest what Atlus has of a mascot, it has appear in several series and games even using him as part of their logo (like sometimes Nintendo does with Mario).

.n_n.
It IS their mascot.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Regarding the leak, I know there's a Yokai Watch fan in this thread. Regarding the Jibanyan, how does that match up with the actual character in terms of playstyle?

Chrono.

Only acceptable SMT rep is Mario Yu Narukami

Naoshi

Lol, fair point. But I guess morso, my point is the Xbox One isn't just doing bad there, it's doing pitiful. Japan has pretty much come to accept that Xbox systems don't have much to offer them.
Obviously Xbox is more catered to the west, but japan is still a big market. Nintendo and Sony have a presence both here AND in japan.
Yeah, to be honest, I have NO idea what they're thinking leaving the Xbox One to rot in Japan either. It makes the original and the 360 look like strong sellers by comparison.

Kind of a shame the console market is actually shrinking in Japan... It's been kind of like this since last gen, despite the strongish start. I do wonder if the PS4 will help turn that around at some point?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Anyone that says the Wii U is doing better than the Xbox One is crazy.

The Xbone miles AHEAD of the Wii U. Has a better future than the Wii U and has just as strong if not stronger Third Party support.

And this is coming from a guy who loves both Nintendo and Xbox. When companies are willing to put Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Mortal Kombat, Dark Souls and Tekken on Xbox than the Wii U, that's heartening.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

The Xbone miles AHEAD of the Wii U. Has a better future than the Wii U and has just as strong if not stronger Third Party support.

And this is coming from a guy who loves both Nintendo and Xbox. When companies are willing to put Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Mortal Kombat, Dark Souls and Tekken on Xbox than the Wii U, that's heartening.
It's a huge FLOP in Japan.

Chrono.

I just ran into a creepypasta level in Mario Maker.

I kinda sequence breaked it by accident though lol

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yeah, but like I said it was never a big thing over there. Over in the West however it's widely popular.
In terms of sales here, not so well. It has a better third party lineup, but in terms of sales, it's not saying much. Am I starting to sound like IGN?

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

I think Kingdom Hearts on Xbone is more of a "hey, this system supports exactly what we're developing for ps4, let's put it on Xbone for more money."

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It's a huge FLOP in Japan.
And guess what it's a success EVERYWHERE ELSE.

Losing ONE region that haven't had success in doesn't hurt them when they done spectacular in North America, Europe, South America, Australia and even other parts of Asia.

Japan is a major region but you don't need that region to succeed.
Don't believe me, Sega never went far in Japan, ever when Nintendo dominated them there but guess what Sega torched them in Europe and had a stranglehold on the North America regions for a while to they beat out the SNES at one point.

And speaking of Nintendo and Europe, they are abysmal there and have been for a while considering Sony and Sega controlled that region for a long time but Nintendo can have an advantage everywhere else.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

That's just not the truth of it right now. The fact of the matter is that Xbox One IS struggling in sales. Yes, the Wii U had a year long headstart, but their sales picked up when they focused on GAMES, and that gap will get bigger and bigger. Do you EVER hear Nintendo talk about the TV functionality anymore? At ALL? They talked it up like crazy before launch and when it was unveiled. Meanwhile, Microsoft is hinging on TV, in an Era where not as many people watch it, and had some of the worst PR in gaming history for its console before it was even RELEASED with all the DRM and such. Thry still push Kinect when no one is buying it. Multiplatform games are being primarily developed on PS4 Hardware then ported to One, rather than how it use to be last gen.
It's all about games. PS4 realized that before anyone. Wii U realized it late in its lifespan but is picking up speed to live a bit longer thanks to it, even without 3rd party. Microsoft still doesn't get that and gets shafted by a lot of devs now.Their E3 conference this year is evidence.

Last edited:

Soul.

It doesn't help that some thought Wii U was deemed to fail for looking way too similar to Wii.
I know Nintendo is doing the best it can to at least have some profit off it, but at this point... idk, I doubt it. Yes, we have Smash (pls no "if 3DS didn't exist Wii U could have sold better" statements), we have Mario games, we have Pokkén coming soon, which would increase the number of Wii U units by a fair amount. It still has good first party games....

At least you know it's selling a lot better than Sony's Vita, a handheld that they decided to call a "legacy system" with only 4 million units sold. It still has a presence in Japan but that's all there is to it.

3DS is doing decent, with games such as Pokémon X/Y/ORAS, Smash 3DS and a bunch of other Mario games. There may be more but I won't bother posting them. It's kinda struggling too with the rise of mobile gaming, but it gets the job done.

Chrono.

I think Kingdom Hearts on Xbone is more of a "hey, this system supports exactly what we're developing for ps4, let's put it on Xbone for more money."
Especially notable since Square
  • Hasn't bothered porting the HD Remixes to MS platforms
  • They just announced, yet another HD remastered game but this one would technically be easier to port to Xbone since it's only on PS4, yet they aren't bothering to

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Regarding the leak, I know there's a Yokai Watch fan in this thread. Regarding the Jibanyan, how does that match up with the actual character in terms of playstyle?
Doesn't really match up his style especially when he's moreso a fire-based attribute Yokai like Charizard, one of the more offensive based Yokais in the game. Just based what I read on the wiki. :p

Naoshi

It doesn't help that some thought Wii U was deemed to fail for looking way too similar to Wii.
I know Nintendo is doing the best it can to at least have some profit off it, but at this point... idk, I doubt it. Yes, we have Smash (pls no "if 3DS didn't exist Wii U could have sold better" statements), we have Mario games, we have Pokkén coming soon, which would increase the number of Wii U units by a fair amount. It still has good first party games....

At least you know it's selling a lot better than Sony's Vita, a handheld that they decided to call a "legacy system" with only 4 million units sold. It still has a presence in Japan but that's all there is to it.

3DS is doing decent, with games such as Pokémon X/Y/ORAS, Smash 3DS and a bunch of other Mario games. There may be more but I won't bother posting them. It's kinda struggling too with the rise of mobile gaming, but it gets the job done.
I think Amiibos is what is making the Wii U easily profittable at this point.

I don't think a game like Pokken is going to push a lot of units. It is Pokemon, but Pokemon spinoffs don't sell crazy like the mainline games. But they do tend to sell pretty well!

Also as far as sales goes.

Xbox One is only selling worse than Wii U in Japan, which is not saying much because the Xbox never sells that great to begin with in the country (although One's failure in Japan is really huge, yikes). Xbox One is however outselling Wii U in every other region.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Why don't we change the subject. Sorry but my head is starting to hurt.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
That's just not the truth of it right now. The fact of the matter is that Xbox One IS struggling in sales. Yes, the Wii U had a year long headstart, but their sales picked up when they focused on GAMES, and that gap will get bigger and bigger. Do you EVER hear Nintendo talk about the TV functionality anymore? At ALL? They talked it up like crazy before launch and when it was unveiled. Meanwhile, Microsoft is hinging on TV, in an Era where not as many people watch it, and had horrible PR for its console before it was even RELEASED with all the DRM and such. Thry still push Kinect when no one is buying it. Multiplatform games are being primarily developed on PS4 Hardware then ported to One, rather than how it use to be last gen.
It's all about games. PS4 realized that before anyone. Wii U realized it late in its lifespan but is picking up speed to live a bit longer thanks to it. Microsoft still doesn't get that. Their E3 conference this year is evidence.
Dude are you still stuck in 2013, because all of that turned around.

For God sakes, they made the Xbone Kinect-less for a full year as of late and have been focusing on games.
The TV thing is something they haven't pushed since E3 of 2013, the sales have been way stronger, WAY stronger than the Wii U. It beat out the Wii U long ago by hitting around 20+ Million sales while the Wii U barely hit 10 Million as of late. And while it won't ever get close to the PS4, nobody else will even.

Plus their E3 conference had games, for God sakes they stop having CoD over there. Halo 5, Scalebound, Gears 4, Recore, Rare Replay, their indie games especially Cuphead, Killer Instinct 3. I don't know what you watched.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

For God sakes, they made the Xbone Kinect-less for a full year as of late and have been focusing on games.
The TV thing is something they haven't pushed since E3 of 2013, the sales have been way stronger, WAY stronger than the Wii U. It beat out the Wii U long ago by hitting around 20+ Million sales while the Wii U barely hit 10 Million as of late. And while it won't ever get close to the PS4, nobody else will even.

Plus their E3 conference had games, for God sakes they stop having CoD over there. Halo 5, Scalebound, Gears 4, Recore, Rare Replay, their indie games especially Cuphead, Killer Instinct 3. I don't know what you watched.
Okay, why don't we start talking about something else?

D

Deleted member

The whole Wii U situation isn't helped at all by the NX
If it releases next year or in 2017, Nintendo will kill any and all Wii U support

D

Deleted member

Just wanna say, the majority can go lick door knobs on other planets! Wii U is fun.

VIDEO GAMES IN GENERAL ARE STILL FUN! HURRAHHHHH

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

I can't say I know what you watched either. There are plenty of reasons to buy an Xbox One. There are not nearly as many reasons to buy it OVER another console.
By the by, you used them not having CoD as a plus. Last I checked Call of Duty still sells like hotcakes.
But no sense in arguing over it either. I'm just going to say with confidence that the gap between Xbox and Wii U/PS4 is going to keep getting bigger and bigger. You don't have to believe me and I'm not saying I'm right. But I am confident.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
So Serebii is far enough to where all the continents have been shown
Apparently most of the post game has been done.
Now I'm just waiting to hear the music and to see the connection orb mission thing involving Grovyle.

----

Soul.

The whole Wii U situation isn't helped at all by the NX
If it releases next year or in 2017, Nintendo will kill any and all Wii U support
That's if for some reason, they say it's a home console, succeeds, and replaces Wii U like DS did GBA.
Though I'm more interested on what happens with the 3DS' successor, if NX is a home console I wouldn't mind. It just needs better support than Wii U. Lots of people have been saying NX will replace Wii U, but we don't know what the thing is yet. It could be, who knows.
I think Amiibos is what is making the Wii U easily profittable at this point.

I don't think a game like Pokken is going to push a lot of units. It is Pokemon, but Pokemon spinoffs don't sell crazy like the mainline games. But they do tend to sell pretty well!
As long as they keep advertising amiibo, adding amiibo compability with most games, and do more amiibo stuff in general I can see it going places.

amiibo is on 3DS too but it doesn't help much compared to Wii U, given that 3DS software already sells well to make amiibo more or less a 'bonus.'

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Late but unpopular opinions go!

*Smash Opinions*
- While it may not be AS unpopular in this thread, it still counts. I'm in the "Gematsu was right, but outdated" camp.
- Prior to the Robin/Lucina shake up, Shulk was my least hyped of the "last three Gematsu characters" (Chrom, Shulk, Chorus Kids).
- Chorus Kids would have been an amazing choice, and it's likely they'll still be his first choice for a RH character should Rhythm Heaven continue even further.
- Chrom would have been awesome, especially if he'd have taken on the Great Lord class.
- People are WAY too quick to judge a potential character as "boring."
- I'd have preferred the Ice Climbers returning over having a 3DS version.
- Ridley is not too big.
- I wouldn't mind Cloud or Lara in Smash at all, and would in fact welcome the latter with open arms. That being said, I realize the gun thing prevents that from happening.
- The gun rule is stupid. PSASBR showed how it can still be done well.
- I only purchased Roy so that I'd have a complete roster. I still dislike Roy.
- The nerf of Little Mac's aerial side special is the single biggest blunder Sakurai's ever committed, even more so than tripping in Brawl.
- I think some fans hold contrarian opinions just to have contrarian opinions.

*Nintendo and Gaming in General*
- I think Ice Climber was a pretty good game. Sue me. Yeah, the jumping is awkward, but I think it adds a nice bit of challenge. Obviously compared to games today its quality falters, but it still holds up as a fun early NES/arcade type of game.
- Wrath of Cortex and Crash Twinsanity are good Crash games, since many seem to only think the first three exist.
- I prefer Reboot!Lara Croft to the original, though I do wish the game itself had more tomb raiding.
- Company fanboy-ism and anything seriously taking part in a "Console War" is just kind of sad and looks really bad. Yes, people can like more than one console company. No, just because it's not your console-of-choice doesn't mean it's a terrible console, and no amount of often-made up "facts" can change that.
- There is nothing wrong with cinematic-type games as long as there's still a nice game portion, and it should not be used as a point against those games. In other words, there's a difference between games like Uncharted and Metal Gear Solid, and games like The Order: 1886.
- Starfy doesn't get nearly the amount of respect he deserves by Nintendo.
- The "anime characters" argument, especially in a Smash context, is dumb because The Legend of Zelda is the same way.
- Likewise, Awakening isn't any more anime-esque than the rest of the series. It just adapts to the anime style of that day and age. There's a reason the original Japan-only titles look like nineties anime.
- The amiibo situation in America is still pretty bad. Better, but still bad.
- PSASBR is a legitimately good game, and I feel that a lot of the hate it gets is unwarranted and comes from, honestly, Nintendo fanboys.
- I cringe when people say "Nintendo should buy *insert major third party company*." This is especially true if followed by "...to save *insert one specific series*!"
- I tried the demo of Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies and wasn't a fan.
- Hawaiian pizza is unironically my favorite pizza. Ham and pineapple is life, yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom