• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Late for unpopular opinions, but oh well.
Smash 3DS shouldn't exist. I think Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man and Ryu was the best possible line up of 3rd party characters. Pichu is a more deserving character than Jigglypuff. Ganondorf should be unique, but not use a sword. I don't like Impa as a character. Starfy for the DS was way too cutesy that it made me hate the game (it made Kirby look like Silent Hill). Nintendo has the best selection of RPG's. I want the next Kid Icarus game to go in a completely different direction. Parasite Eve is Square's best game after Chrono Trigger. Street Fighter 4 sucked in comparison to 2 and 3. The Sonic and Megaman series are overrated. Resident Evil 2 was my least favorite of the original trilogy. Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio are Sega's best games (though I do still need to play Shenmue). I hate Assassin's Creed.
Just some that come to mind.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I for one think if you want only Nintendo franchises in Smash you're forgetting that Nintendo's history isn't just Nintendo. It's also it's relationships with third parties and thus if you want no third parties? You're not being true to Nintendo's history. Nintendo NEEDS third parties both in general and in Smash.

Nintendo didn't get to where it is today all on it's own. Mostly on it's own? Yes, but there's a reason that third party support is one of the things they're chasing after again.

And the fact that there is third party fear in the Smash fanbase and Nintendo fanbase in general is one of the biggest problems it has and THAT is MY unpopular opinion.
That's the best thing to say about and I wholeheartedly agree. Look at Playstation and Xbox, most of its history doesn't rely on their first party titles and same with Nintendo and like I said, I love third party inclusions and they feel great in my eyes for a crossover fighter but I don't want to get to that point where just anybody can get in. If I feel like you were part of Nintendo's history and was greatly affected being with Nintendo then you can get in. But if it gets to a point where we just let anyone in because their video game characters and wasn't part of that Nintendo history: past, present and even future, or even probably scraped in then I have a problem. And it's not even the icon issue, it's having atleast having a major part in Nintendo's history. It why people want characters like Simon Belmont, Rayman and even Cloud in Smash because their series were part of that history

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I 100% do not believe this.

Images and maybe. Only maybe.

Except the images will likely be crap.
That's being generous considering the likes of the Dr. Mario stage and Rayman and the like.
I need video evidence. Click on the character in the CSS, announcer and all, and enter a stage and fight for at least a FEW seconds.
That's the only way to be credible these days imho.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Very well said @ Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman

At the very least, I think some of these third parties should at least get acknowledged through trophies. Much like Rayman, Commander Video and that one weird looking trophy in the 3DS version....

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Nah, son.

It's celebrating Nintendo's HISTORY.

It's apparent from the start when Sakurai even put third parties in his mind from the first sequel on.

After all the man was even considering James Bond, because one of the most memorable games in the N64's history is a James Bond game.

Each Nintendo system has just as many memorable third party games as Nintendo's own IPS and to ignore them completely in a game clearly designed by the author of the series itself to celebrate Nintendo's history is being completely dishonest to not only said franchise but Nintendo itself.
You say James Bond was considered but that was only because he was in a game Nintendo published, and that Smash is is something that celebrates games that are created and published by Nintendo to me, not all of the history that Nintendo has built up with other devs.

Edit: God damn it, stupid reply button not working probably

Last edited:

Megaboyzzz

Smash Rookie
yfw leaker says he acciddental put the 31 when he meant the 30th

why you always lying

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
That's being generous considering the likes of the Dr. Mario stage and Rayman and the like.
I need video evidence. Click on the character in the CSS, announcer and all and enter a stage and fight for at least a FEW seconds.
That's the only way to be credible these days imho.
Only because I'd like something to laugh at while September 30th comes.

Which, if anyone paid attention, September 31st does not exist, so there's likely no images anyway. 1 and 0 are too far away on a regular keyboard to consider a typo.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Not only Bond was considered for Melee. Sonic, Tails (or some second Sonic character) and a few other characters who were third parties were on Sakurai's poll.

Third parties were considered for Melee. Effectively making the series not only about Nintendo's history with it's own IPs, but also it's history with it's greatest third parties.

Honestly, I think Shovel Knight makes sense even under this rule, considering Nintendo is working very very hard with indie developers now.

There are definitely some characters that'd give me pause, but third party fear is a really really big problem in the Nintendo fanbase in general and it's part of the reason why I fear third party games don't sell for Nintendo systems anymore. As a fanbase we've gotten so up our own asses about being Nintendo only!

And if we keep that up Nintendo will never ever ever get back their third party support.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Not only Bond was considered for Melee. Sonic, Tails and a few other characters who were third parties were on Sakurai's poll.

Third parties were considered for Melee. Effectively making the series not only about Nintendo's history with it's own IPs, but also it's history with it's greatest third parties.

Honestly, I think Shovel Knight makes sense even under this rule, considering Nintendo is working very very hard with indie developers now.

There are definitely some characters that'd give me pause, but third party fear is a really really big problem in the Nintendo fanbase in general and it's part of the reason why I fear third party games don't sell for Nintendo systems anymore. As a fanbase we've gotten so up our own ***** about being Nintendo only!

And if we keep that up Nintendo will never ever ever get back their third party support.
Tails was never considered.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Only because I'd like something to laugh at while September 30th comes.

Which, if anyone paid attention, September 31st does not exist, so there's likely no images anyway. 1 and 0 are too far away on a regular keyboard to consider a typo.
Probably, but I've made worse mistakes when my mind has gone blank while typing before.

Even if there is video though,( which I doubt, hell I doubt he will come back) It needs to have an actually battle. Artsy has taught us several things: 1) The announcer needs to say the names, 2) Original renders aren't enough, 3) Select screen footage isn't enough. So unless it's like the ERSB leak videos, I wont buy it if he actually provides video.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Tails was never considered.
I'm pretty sure Sonic wasn't the only Sonic character on that poll. Tails makes the most sense honestly, which is why I said him.
Could've been Eggman, because it wasn't Knuckles.

Knuckles is a fan thing. I really doubt he'd be a thought on Sakurai's mind if he was considering a second Sonic character.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't mind if Smash had never added 3rd parties but I'm not going to act like they should be removed
We have a possibility of getting Shovel Knight as DLC and I can't think of a single reason as to why this isn't great

Last edited by a moderator:

Soul.

The only unpopular opinion worth it is this one.

- I like the 3DS version way more than Wii U. I'll forever praise the developers if they make another handheld Smash.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Thirty days hath September, all the rest I can't remember.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I wouldn't mind if Smash had never added 3rd parties but I'm not going to act like they should be removed
We have a possibility of getting Shovel Knight as DLC and I can't think of a single reason as to why this isn't great
- he's not King K. Rool, Isaac, Ridley, etc.
That's the only reason that I can think of that is valid to an extent.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I forgot to post this before since I had to be somewhere, so here's my unpopular opinion:
I believe that the whole situation around third parties have gotten way out of hand. Okay, so we had Snake and Sonic. Well Sonic I could definitely see, and while Snake was more "a guy who knew a guy", it was a big deal. Then Smash 4 comes in with Mega Man and Pac-Man. Well they are iconic characters, and I can see that. Ryu was a surprise, but hell he is the grandfather of fighting games.

But now it seems like if you've ever had a game period then you're a potential candidate for Smash. Shovel Knight, Shantae, even Yuka and Laylee. Or heck, you don't even need to be related to Nintendo in the slightest like with Cloud or Lara. And it's gotten to the point where we've made up titles for both sides like "Nintendo zealot". Like we can't even be civil about it without resorting to childish name calling.

Look, I'm not against third parties, but this is a Nintendo brawler. It's not some widescale museum where every game needs to be represented. And in my opinion I'd rather take some first party rep over some third party rep.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hm...

It is setting the bar lower for 3rd parties which is understandably irksome for a lot of people. I know you disregard it as an argument but let's not cast aside arguments we deem "silly" lest we become Ridley.

If any indie gets in though, it better be Shovel Knight.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
But now it seems like if you've ever had a game period then you're a potential candidate for Smash. Shovel Knight, Shantae, even Yuka and Laylee. Or heck, you don't even need to be related to Nintendo in the slightest like with Cloud or Lara. And God forbid you even show the slightest opinion over not liking them. Otherwise you'll be called a "Nintendo extremist". Like we can't even be civil about it without resorting to childish name calling.
Imma call you out here.
This is the very thread where characters like Shovel Knight, Cloud, Lara Croft, etc. are reviled as a candidate for Smash.

Starlight_Lily

Not only Bond was considered for Melee. Sonic, Tails (or some second Sonic character) and a few other characters who were third parties were on Sakurai's poll.

There are definitely some characters that'd give me pause, but third party fear is a really really big problem in the Nintendo fanbase in general and it's part of the reason why I fear third party games don't sell for Nintendo systems anymore. As a fanbase we've gotten so up our own ***** about being Nintendo only!

Just something to note, just cause character has a storied history doesn't really mean they should be in Smash.

Besides sometimes people only buy one console, and being on a forum based around a Nintendo crossover most of us are going to own a Nintendo console, and seeing as most of third parties don't really release those games on Nintendo consoles, this isn't a case of them not selling on Nintendo consoles this is simply a case of them not being able to buy them on the console they have. And a lot of people aren't actually going to buy 2 consoles, simply because they can't afford it. This is less of us having our heads up our asses and more along the lines of those other great 3rd party games on Nintendo's console.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Imo, Nintendo would not sell-out to Microsoft to put Banjo and Kazooie in Smash, it'd just be a marketing ploy from Microsoft to help save their dying console. Why would they fall for that?

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Letting in a third party character isn't going to even interfere with letting in a first party character.

So it's such a mute point.

As long as rights are dealt with early and it's not a Sonic situation (which I doubt would ever happen again anyways) then a third party character. Any third party character isn't going to steal time from a first party or the shot at a Nintendo character getting their chance to shine.

So the whole ''BUT MY NINTENDO" thing is so mute that it's rather funny.

It's as if there's a floodgate built up in heads and that if a third party sneaks in through it that means that a Nintendo icon won't be able to get past that floodgate either.

It doesn't really work that way.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Imma call you out here.
This is the very thread where characters like Shovel Knight, Cloud, Lara Croft, etc. are reviled as a candidate for Smash.
Oh sure don't get me wrong there are just as many people who don't care for them I fully agree. But I will also say that their names have become battlefields regardless of where it is. With extremes on both ends.

It gets to the point to where one has to wonder where you draw the line.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Lara Croft's not getting into Smash because of guns.

Which makes me ponder what Sakurai would do if Nintendo ever made a franchise with realistic guns and it became successful. How would he even represent that? Would he start breaking that rule for them?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Oh sure don't get me wrong there are just as many people who don't care for them I fully agree. But I will also say that their names have become battlefields regardless of where it is. With extremes on both ends.

It gets to the point to where one has to wonder where you draw the line.
The way you phrased it makes it seem much like those are universally liked characters.
Actually I would be totally down with Cloud :p
Shovel knight is growing on me a little but I still wouldnt say I want him. No opinion on Lara. Never played TR.
@ Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman and I make up 100% of the Lara Croft support team.
I think.

:^)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Imma call you out here.
I can't speak for the rest of the people here.

But I would personally welcome Lara and Cloud with open arms and welcome Shovel Knight while preparing for the ****storm that would ensue afterwards.

Soul.

I'm not really hyped for SK should he be added.

I'm more hyped to see the dull responses/arguments/yadda yadda of his inclusion, while the rest enjoys having another character added to the games.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'll say. I'm okay with pretty much any icon getting into Smash. Even Master Cheif or Kratos.

Indies, I'm more apprehensive about but Shovel Knight would be one of the few I'd like. (The other being Quote due to his history.)

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I'm not okay with the a lot of the third party characters for Smash. I feel that is kinda reserved for hall of famers that have contributed largely to Nintendo. Snake being kind of the outsider in this (although arguably so). Ryu, Mega Man, Sonic and Pac Man all have a huge OR respectable enough impact on Nintendo.

I'm not okay with characters like Kratos, Lara Croft, etc in Smash because I feel they are just way too ill-fitting and they don't really belong.

This is not out of "third party fear", I just personally don't see a lot of them fitting for Smash. I'm an Ace Attorney fanboy, it's my 2nd favorite series and I would buy any new game they put out for it, but I don't really feel it for Phoenix Wright being in Smash (although I feel he has far more merit than the former mentioned characters).

Imo, Nintendo would not sell-out to Microsoft to put Banjo and Kazooie in Smash, it'd just be a marketing ploy to help save Microsoft's dying console. Why would they fall for that?
What

You do realize that it's the Wii U that's dying, not the Xbox One, right?

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Also something or you guys to know, I just feel that because of the 3rd parties we've gotten some of the requests for some 3rd parties is ridiculous and I think the fanbase may have gotten worse from it.

And just so you know I'm not really against 3rd parties, I want Phoenix Wright to be in Smash after all.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Speaking of the Xbox One, am I the only one who's really liked what's been happening with Cuphead? I'm hoping it'll sooner or later get on the other consoles, because its artstyle is fantastic.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Welp. Might as well state my unpopular opinions (Smash Bros. focused).
-I think Project M is the better game compared to Melee.

-I never understood why characters like Ridley and Geno were so popular in the first place.

-I'm okay with any character getting into Smash provided they have a history with Nintendo.

-Smash for Wii U is my favorite game in the series, followed by Project M.

-I surprsingly don't have a character that I want for Smash. I just enjoy the surprises :p.

-I like Sakurai's design choices. They are what makes Smash unique.

And finally...

-I think people shouldn't worry about the characters so much, but instead focus on having fun in the game.
Of course these are just my opinions. If you guys have a different opinion, I'm all for it!

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think the Brawl days was worse when it came to third party requests. A lot of people went nuts as soon as Snake got revealed.....

Fun little fact, I used to kinda dislike the idea of lots of third parties in Smash myself back when I was younger but as I got older and got myself familiarized with various other franchises such as Rayman, Bomberman, Professor Layton etc. I started to become more open with them to the point that I wouldn't mind seeing them in so long as they had a good enough connection with Nintendo etc and now even my most wanted character is a third party.... ^^

Of course it shouldn't be overdone but I think it would be alright to see a few of them acknowledged as trophies at the very least. And we kinda already do right now.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm not okay with the a lot of the third party characters for Smash. I feel that is kinda reserved for hall of famers that have contributed largely to Nintendo. Snake being kind of the outsider in this (although arguably so). Ryu, Mega Man, Sonic and Pac Man all have a huge OR respectable enough impact on Nintendo.

I'm not okay with characters like Kratos, Lara Croft, etc in Smash because I feel they are just way too ill-fitting and they don't really belong.

This is not out of "third party fear", I just personally don't see a lot of them fitting for Smash. I'm an Ace Attorney fanboy, it's my 2nd favorite series and I would buy any new game they put out for it, but I don't really feel it for Phoenix Wright being in Smash (although I feel he has far more merit than the former mentioned characters).

What

Both are.

Still though, Wii U is selling much better than XBONE.

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon

What

It depends on what regions, Xbox One in Japan is not selling well or anything at all, is a miracle if they pass 1000 sales each month, so even if WiiU is not selling well in Europe or America they balance out with the 3DS that is more of a stable system across all regions.

Edited;
Here is a link of who were the biggest publishers in Europe the first half of 2015 and guess who is in second place.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/09/1...ng-video-games-of-1st-half-of-2015-in-europe/

Even if Nintendo is behind in hardware sales, still competes in the software department.

.n_n.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

What

They're both dying out actually.
PS4 is keping people with them by having all the exclusive DLC bonuses and such, and Sony's marketing it as a GAME console rather than "A game console that helps you watch TV." It's also got tremendous third party support (Once again, the exclusive DLC and such. Having that for CallaBooty is already a system seller for a lot of non gamers.) Plus some decent exclusives.
The Wii U is dying, no question, but Nintendo still has all their iconic first party material and a big enough fanbase that it at least wasn't a COMPLETE flop like, say, the virtual boy. It struggled like crazy at first, but as soon as Nintendo shifted over to "This System is about GAMES" rather than innovation, it got boosted up. But regardless, the lack of third party and Nintendo's timing with it is still its ultimate undoing.
Xbox is the one that is REALLY struggling right now. They still push the TV bit a lot. Most third parties leave them in the dust, since now SONY had the platform in which multi-platform games are primarily developed, rather than the last Gen with 360 -> PS3. The maasive controversy of the console before it even LAUNCHED was also a big hinderance. And in the end, Xbox doesn't have anything ground-breaking with its exclusives. Master Chief Collecton? Yeah, it's pretty, but I have these games... Plus the online is still busted. Rare Replay? Solid collection... But again, games I already have played/owned mostly. Project Spark? Pretty excellent, but it's a development tool that's is VERY complex for entry level people/kids, whereas Mario Maker is much more focused and easier for a kid to understand. Plus, it has a PC version... So why the hell would you get it on Xbone. Killer Instict? Would have sold me, but PC version soon Sooo nah.
Not to mentor that Japan spits in its face when they adore the PS4 and Wii u.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom