• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Delicious irony. :laugh:

Also, here's another funny thing: I've yet to see people complaining about the big number of Animal Crossing characters in Mario Maker's Mystery Mushroom roster. When Smash 3DS got a lot of ported KIU content, people raged.
People are complaining about the amount of AC costumes... and don't compare KI with huge Nintendo franchises, lol.

D

Deleted member

Also, here's another funny thing: I've yet to see people complaining about the big number of Animal Crossing characters in Mario Maker's Mystery Mushroom roster. When Smash 3DS got a lot of ported KIU content, people raged.
One of these is a high selling and popular franchise and the other only had one game after +20 years and is niche

Chrono.

There was some complaints in this very thread, as well as FAQs but... it's FAQs.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I have actually seen a few people on YouTube complain that they kept unlocking Animal Crossing costumes when they wanted a costume of someone else. (or the Yoshi variations for that matter.)

Eitherway, I understand why Smash 3DS had a lot of KI content so its no real biggie for me. :/

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
People are complaining about the amount of AC costumes... and don't compare KI with huge Nintendo franchises, lol.
One of these is a high selling and popular franchise and the other only had one game after +20 years and is niche
Still got way more characters than bigger series like Zelda or Donkey Kong.

I'm not complaining, by the way. Just noting the hypocrisy, which shouldn't be surprising, considering, well... human nature.

There was some complaints in this very thread, as well as FAQs but... it's FAQs.
FAQs is FAQs. lol

They complain about every minuscule thing and ****post all over.

Chrono.

Aren't all the AC costumes tied to amiibo?

If so, the blame goes there.

Either way I don't mind myself but like @ Curious Villager Curious Villager noted, they get really annoying to unlock.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Aren't all the AC costumes tied to amiibo?

If so, the blame goes there.

Either way I don't mind myself but like @ Curious Villager Curious Villager noted, they get really annoying to unlock.
I was about to say this. Most of them are because of that Animal Crossing amiibo Festival game.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Did we play the same game? I'd say Medusa got a pretty good amount of character development. Chapters 1, 6, 9, and 25 all highlight this.
I said spotlight, not character development.

Medusa gets development, but hardly has a major role in the game. Pit, Palutena, Viridi, Hades and Dark Pit are, by far, the top 5 most prominent characters in the game. Medusa and Magnus also have their impact on the story, with Medusa having some character development, but hardly have any importance besides their few appearances throughout the 25 chapters of the game.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Amazing Mirror was great from my experience, lol.
Sometimes though, the maps seemed confusing. I mainly liked it because you could change the colors, and the Smash Copy Ability.
I loved Amazing Mirror.

Which is why I was so shocked about the Great Maze.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I said spotlight, not character development.

Medusa gets development, but hardly has a major role in the game. Pit, Palutena, Viridi, Hades and Dark Pit are, by far, the top 5 most prominent characters in the game. Medusa and Magnus also have their impact on the story, with Medusa having some character development, but hardly have any importance besides their few appearances throughout the 25 chapters of the game.
Whoops, read your post wrong. Sorry! I'll agree with everything said here. I would also add Pyrrhon as a fun character who i wish got more development and spotlight. He was so great.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Xenoblade X's boards on GameFAQ's are so ****ing bad. Also, MK8 and Smash Wii U's boards are a cesspool. There are a few decent boards, but that's not saying much.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The reasons as to why KI and AC have so much content in Smash and SMM respectively are different in context.

KI got lotsa content (especially on the 3DS) due to Sakurai making the game gaving him much more easier access to that game than a 3DS game made by another studio. AC got lotsa costumes due to the Mystery Mushroom using mostly Amiibo for the costumes and since AC has a lot of Amiibo, it makes sense to use all of them in SMM.

EDIT: Is GameFaqs doing something stupid again?

Last edited by a moderator:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
My thing is that people pretend Sakubias is so much of a problem NOW when he's done it before. And it was just as bad.

There was Melee with how Kirby got 3 stages. More so than Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, Star Fox and F-Zero. Brawl in general was similar considering SSE was just ":kirby2:&:dedede: save the world with some other losers" and how the mode was just a borderline Kirby game with Beat em Up/fighting game mechanics.

And in 64, the guy was willing to put it Dedede if time restraints didn't hold him back.

Sakubias has been strong since the whole game is just KSS with fighting tact on to it.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
My thing is that people pretend Sakubias is so much of a problem NOW when he's done it before. And it was just as bad.

There was Melee with how Kirby got 3 stages. More so than Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, Star Fox and F-Zero. Brawl in general was similar considering SSE was just ":kirby2:&:dedede: save the world with some other losers" and how the mode was just a borderline Kirby game with Beat em Up/fighting game mechanics.

And in 64, the guy was willing to put it Dedede if time restraints didn't hold him back.

Sakubias has been strong since the whole game is just KSS with fighting tact on to it.
To be fair, DK and Yoshi got 3 stages in Melee.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Whoops, read your post wrong. Sorry! I'll agree with everything said here. I would also add Pyrrhon as a fun character who i wish got more development and spotlight. He was so great.
If only Kid Icarus became a bigger franchise... There's a lot of potential in the series, due to its inspiration on Greek Mythology.

The reasons as to why KI and AC have so much content in Smash and SMM respectively are different in context.

KI got lotsa content (especially on the 3DS) due to Sakurai making the game gaving him much more easier access to that game than a 3DS game made by another studio. AC got lotsa costumes due to the Mystery Mushroom using mostly Amiibo for the costumes and since AC has a lot of Amiibo, it makes sense to use all of them in SMM.
Exactly this.

The so-called "bias", more often than not, has valid reasons for existing. It's all about the game development and design process.

Smash 4 has KIU content due to easier access to assets from said game (there are also plenty of SSE enemies, likely ported from Brawl and most Zelda enemies use models from Ocarina of Time 3D, though given new animations). SMM has AC content due to being designed to be compatible with all amiibo released thus far.

It's as simple as this.

As for GameFAQs, it used to be much better, but now it has an overall toxic community. Still good for the guides themselves though.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, DK and Yoshi got 3 stages in Melee.
And one of said stages was essentially a Mario stage labeled as a Yoshi stage just because it was called "Yoshi's Island."

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Wasn't it said at some point that SF5 doesn't take place after SF3?

I think she has early trailer Cammy syndrome.
It's more of a guess. I don't recall them saying anything yet but most signs are pointing towards a sequel:
  • General time jump for some characters is apparent (Karin, Bison looking noticeably older than their previous counterparts, Ryu's appearance having a rather battered gi
  • Some movesets reflect SFIII counterparts (Ryu, Chun-Li)
  • Ken wouldn't switch back and forth between outfits (weird and miniscule, I know, but it stands out)
I personally hope that it does take place after III, as I'd like to see the series move forward in the timeline.

Regarding Karin, it's likely another case of Cammy. I never did find her appearance to be that bad (nor do I find Karin's) but I'd expect a bit of polish to come up soon.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
He's not biased, in fact he seems to have had trouble making Pit and Palutena more powerful.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If it was another developer doing Smash, there would probably be some bias towards their work.

More often than not it's due to familiarity with previous projects or easier access to assets from them.

If Sakurai had used another Nintendo IP instead of Kid Icarus, you can be damn sure that IP would have gotten the same treatment. Star Fox potentially could've gotten that treatment given he first considered using Star Fox for the KIU project.

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Question for people who think KI has to much stuff in Smash 3DS. Would you be perfectly fine with the content it got if the franchise had been successful (Something along Metroid)? Better question, do you LIKE the content it came with?

I feel there's a few people out there who don't like it SIMPLY because its "over-represented."

Hell, I'm part of the camp who doesn't care and just enjoys the content that comes. If it's fun, I'm perfectly fine with it.

D

Deleted member

Regarding Karin, am i the only one who doesn't like her face in SFV? I don't know why, she just looks so.....eh. Despite that hovewer, im happy that she is back.

But we need someone with, you know......class.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
While I'm happy fallen angel Pit was promoted to playable status, I think we can all agree that He could've been a costume.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Its more or less due to easier access to assets and resources etc. Hence why the 3DS version has more Kid Icarus Uprising content than the Wii U version.

Kinda like how Majora's Mask, Spirit Tracks and Triforce Heroes borrowed assets from Ocarina of Time, Phantom Hourglass and A Link Between Worlds respectively in order to save development time and resources etc.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
He's not biased, in fact he seems to have had trouble making Pit and Palutena more powerful.
If there's one thing Sakurai's bias will never go towards is balance. None of his franchises have rarely hit the top of the charts in a while and in most cases like Brawl Meta Knight being BS due to OTHERS than Sakurai, he hasn't slew the balance to his favor since maybe 64 with Kirby being one of the best characters in the game.

If it was another developer doing Smash, there would probably be some bias towards their work.

More often than not it's due to familiarity with previous projects or easier access to assets from them.

If Sakurai had used another Nintendo IP instead of Kid Icarus, you can be damn sure that IP would have gotten the same treatment. Star Fox potentially could've gotten that treatment given he first considered using Star Fox for the KIU project.
I actually believe that if he worked on Star Fox like he wanted before going to KI, Wolf would have had an easier chance of coming back and Krystal might have been a newcomer. That said, he does lean towards Mother and FE a little too hard.

Mother isn't as blatant as FE but you can tell the bias is there with stuff like Earthbound getting two new stages in Melee, all that Mother 3 stuff in Brawl and if we're going by sales, Mothee shouldn't have 2 reps especially when F-Zero outsells it. The characters aren't bad but damn, just because they are from HAL doesn't mean they get all of THAT now.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
If there's one thing Sakurai's bias will never go towards is balance. None of his franchises have rarely hit the top of the charts in a while and in most cases like Brawl Meta Knight being BS due to OTHERS than Sakurai, he hasn't slew the balance to his favor since maybe 64 with Kirby being one of the best characters in the game.

I actually believe that if he worked on Star Fox like he wanted before going to KI, Wolf would have had an easier chance of coming back and Krystal might have been a newcomer. That said, he does lean towards Mother and FE a little too hard.

Mother isn't as blatant as FE but you can tell the bias is there with stuff like Earthbound getting two new stages in Melee, all that Mother 3 stuff in Brawl and if we're going by sales, Mothee shouldn't have 2 reps especially when F-Zero outsells it. The characters aren't bad but damn, just because they are from HAL doesn't mean they get all of THAT now.
its a good thing we dont go by sale or else this would be mario vs zelda vs pokemon

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866

To be devils advocate, pretty much every franchise minus fire Emblem and the game and watch series got at least two stages in Melee.

Besides that though, Mother has gotten perfect representation anyway.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
While I'm happy fallen angel Pit was promoted to playable status, I think we can all agree that He could've been a costume.
I actually advocated for his inclusion and wouldn't have minded him as a costume for Pit. As long as he had the appropriate name and voice swap (like the Koopalings and Alph).

But the Final Smash is a logical addition and, as Sakurai explicitly stated, no matter how different two characters are, as long as they don't play 100% identically, they are treated as separate characters. This is a clear design choice.

The logic goes like this:
Characters A and B play 100% identically? If yes, they're selectable as costumes, sharing the same slot.
If not, they are treated as separate characters with individual slots and records.

It's very simple logic.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I actually advocated for his inclusion and wouldn't have minded him as a costume for Pit. As long as he had the appropriate name and voice swap (like the Koopalings and Alph).

But the Final Smash is a logical addition and, as Sakurai explicitly stated, no matter how different two characters are, as long as they don't play 100% identically, they are treated as separate characters. This is a clear design choice.

The logic goes like this:
Characters A and B play 100% identically? If yes, they're selectable as costumes, sharing the same slot.
If not, they are treated as separate characters with individual slots and records.

It's very simple logic.
But what about the Koopalings, they're different from Bowser Jr, right? As for Dark Pit's final smash, was anyone else expecting the Lightning Chariot?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
But what about the Koopalings, they're different from Bowser Jr, right? As for Dark Pit's final smash, was anyone else expecting the Lightning Chariot?
Different in gameplay. Playing as Bowser Jr. or any of the Koopalings doesn't make a difference in gameplay.

Playing as Pit and Dark Pit, no matter how very similar they may be, is still different. Especially if there are Smash Balls turned on. Even certain single player modes require slightly different strategies when playing as Dark Pit compared to Pit.

The differences are minimal, but they exist and they come into play in specific scenarios.

As for the Final Smash, the Dark Pit Staff was the most obvious choice given it's his signature weapon along with the Silver Bow. It also had the benefit that it could be a reskin of Zelda's Light Arrow.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
its a good thing we dont go by sale or else this would be mario vs zelda vs pokemon
Actually, I believe it'll just be Mario vs Pokemon with each getting 10+ reps and Zelda will maybe skew by with 6-7 but it'll just be those 2. The sales issue was only brought up because of Donkey Kong/Metroid vs Fire Emblem/Kid Icarus in reps. Using Sales means that :4sonic: can dominate a Nintendo centric roster because he deserves it.

To be devils advocate, pretty much every franchise minus fire Emblem and the game and watch series got at least two stages in Melee.

Besides that though, Mother has gotten perfect representation anyway.
There's also Ice Climbers but that proves the point of that. Even then FE could have gotten a stage

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Different in gameplay. Playing as Bowser Jr. or any of the Koopalings doesn't make a difference in gameplay.

Playing as Pit and Dark Pit, no matter how very similar they may be, is still different. Especially if there are Smash Balls turned on. Even certain single player modes require slightly different strategies when playing as Dark Pit compared to Pit.

The differences are minimal, but they exist and they come into play in specific scenarios.

As for the Final Smash, the Dark Pit Staff was the most obvious choice given it's his signature weapon along with the Silver Bow. It also had the benefit that it could be a reskin of Zelda's Light Arrow.
I think he was talking about how Sakurai's reason to make Dark Pit a separate character was the final smash, yet the Koopaings turn into Shadow Mario

D

Deleted member

I think he was talking about how Sakurai's reason to make Dark Pit a separate character was the final smash, yet the Koopaings turn into Shadow Mario
It's more reasonable for them to turn into Shadow Mario via magic than it is for someone not affiliated with Palutena's Army (especially one established to be working with the Forces of Nature) to use her Three Sacred Treasures.

You'd have a better argument with Alph using the Hocotate Ship, even though the trophy for End of Day hints that Olimar is loaning Alph the ship for use in Smash.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Gotta admit though, it is pretty interesting how there are a lot of blonde characters in SF5, even including characters that aren't white ( Mika, Karin and Birdie).

Cant wait to see 90% of the ballot voters, including an entire region, to be completely disappointed when a high school play star makes it into Smash. Even Quote and Shantae make leagues more sense to include before SK.
At this point, I think it's better to wait and see before assuming that Shovel Knight is a shoo-in when he is anything but.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom