• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

I'd actually be fine with another Sonic Rep. Who would you guys want, and why?

Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Metal Sonic
Eggman
Amy

I'd say Tails is the 'most worthy', but I'd love me a playable Eggman.
I (obviously) want Tails the most, but otherwise: Knuckles --> Amy --> Eggman

D

Deleted member

Some late replies
And Charizard's Final Smash is just Charizard using the Mega Stone, it's still a transformation.

He also forgot Kirby -> Ultra Sword Kirby
I never said it wasn't :p
You know there are a lot of worlds I want for Kingdom Hearts and not a one of them is a live action Disney movie, but then as Halloween approaches it hit me...

Do. It.

Just do it.

Mfw I actually liked this movie

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Metal Sonic
Eggman
Amy

Eggman's one of my most wanted for one reason:
Mike Pollock.

The other Most Wanted Sonic character is Blaze. Laura Bailey bias.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'd LOVE it if Eggman were playable; he'd be the only additional Sonic character I'd be happy about getting. Though to be fair Tails would be more likely, and I'm pretty neutral on him.

Fun fact: the reason PSASBR couldn't get her came down to timing and timing only. Square Enix wanted the first appearance of Lara's new look to be in the Tomb Raider reboot, understandably enough. Gotta build the reboot brand and such. If PSASBR came out like, six months later, she would have been in. She was probably planned as DLC too, honestly, but due to the situation with Superbot, post-Zeus and Isaac Clarke DLC plans were basically cancelled (this is also why Dart didn't make it. They outright said he was planned as DLC).

That being said, realistic firearm reliance would keep her out of Smash anyway.
Why was it Zeus and not commander Sheapered?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Metal Sonic
Eggman
Amy

Eggman, then we'd have the first two Sonic characters to ever exist.
Fun fact: the reason PSASBR couldn't get her came down to timing and timing only. Square Enix wanted the first appearance of Lara's new look to be in the Tomb Raider reboot, understandably enough. Gotta build the reboot brand and such. If PSASBR came out like, six months later, she would have been in. She was probably planned as DLC too, honestly, but due to the situation with Superbot, post-Zeus and Isaac Clarke DLC plans were basically cancelled (this is also why Dart didn't make it. They outright said he was planned as DLC).

That being said, realistic firearm reliance would keep her out of Smash anyway.
Yep, if only Capcom felt the same way about Donte. :glare: If only they added Dart in before Zues. :glare:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would love to see an Atlus character but I know so little about SMT that I don't even know who is the most iconic of the protags
For SE, I will always stand by that Cloud has no place in Smash, Cecil and Terra/Celes aren't recognizable enough, Japanese-only FF chars lol and that it should be Black Mage as it's the most recognizable class from FF1
Chocobo is the equivalent of Yoshis and Moogles only appeared in FFVI on Nintendo consoles iirc

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
God of War's basically their big franchise now, so Zeus makes sense. They probably didn't want both DLC in that set to be third parties either. Not to mention God of War 3 was coming out and it was an easy cross-promotion too.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Metal Sonic
Eggman
Amy

On votes, probably Shadow, but I'd say Tails is more "worthy".
I'm still in the boat that shovel knight is more iconic then shantae even with one game. He's in more crossovers then her( and she isn't in what is literally a game filled with indie characters.), his game already has more support from Nintendo and his name is getting out there. Hell the rumor alone, I would say has gotten his name out to casual gamers enough. Not to mention the fact he has his own amiibo, and launched on Nintendo systems first. In my opinion, Shovel knight is much better then shantae for smash as his company has more of a presence/ connection with NIntendo then she has had. Shovel Knight also is usually ranked higher in the ballot then her and is clearly known by the higher ups at Nintendo and even Sakurai I'm sure.
I agree. I like both characters but I feel that Shovel Knight is growing more. Shantae has three games but I wouldn't say they're all on the same level as Shovel Knight. I'd put Pirate's Curse on the same level as Shovel Knight because of how it ditched the transformations so the pirate weapons made it a faster game. (Azure Striker Gunvolt is another great game that I'd put on their level.)

Shantae does manage to get a lot of support, though, not necessarily because of her games.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Because Santa Monica being God of War devs and Zeus was planned to be an antagonist for the game before they went with Polygon Man.
Commander Shepard is more of an Xbox character seeing as the first Mass Effect was Xbox exclusive for a while. Playstation didn't get ME1 until 2012 when the trilogy released.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
God of War's basically their big franchise now, so Zeus makes sense. They probably didn't want both DLC in that set to be third parties either. Not to mention God of War 3 was coming out and it was an easy cross-promotion too.
It was God of War Ascension.
And Abe from Oddworld: Abe's Odysee.
Was that confirmed to be true? My memory is a bit fuzzy on the matter, but I remember it being a rumor that wasn't officially confirmed.
Wasn't Shadow also planned?
Where did you hear that.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wonder how Sakurai feels about 3rd party characters that only appear in a few games from thier franchise. Mainly Simon Belmont and Cloud Strife.
Umm...

Castlevania
Vampire Killer
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Haunted Castle
Super Castlevania IV
Akumajou Dracula
(X68000) aka Castlevania Chronicles
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
(Cameo)
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (Playable Cameo)
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (Cameo)
Castlevania Judgment
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
(Cameo)
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
(Cameo)

I wouldn't use the term "few" in this scenario. Simon has appeared in more Castlevania games than any other protagonist in the series, even if you don't count the cameos. Even if that weren't the case, he is still the original and most iconic protagonist (the "Marth") of the series. That, and the Belmont family is considered the face of the franchise. If Castlevania were to be represented with a playable character, it would most certainly be Simon (and maybe the other Belmonts as alternate skins).

Other than him, there's Dracula (the main antagonist throughout most of the series) and Alucard (Dracula's rebellious son, the Zero to the Belmont family's Mega Man, and the protagonist of one of the games that helped pioneer the Metroidvania genre), but Smash has always had the face of the series get in first.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It was God of War Ascension.

was that confirmed to be true? My memory is a bit fuzzy on the matter, but I remember it being a rumor that wasn't officially confirmed.

Where did you hear that.
Didn't hear it, I saw it somewhere a long time ago.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I don't know if I could safely say one popular indie could outsell an entire series combined. Even if Shantae was a cult hit with her first game, there is strength in numbers after all.
I don't find it hard to believe. Steam Spy has Shantae: Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse at an estimated 86,476 and 9,921 owners respectively. Shovel Knight has an estimated 254,541 owners on Steam. It's also not any kind of hard data, but since release, Shovel Knight appears in the top 20 eshop charts more often.

There's a lot of missing info, mind you: The DRM-free PC version of Shovel Knight, Xbox One version of Shovel Knight, Sony Platform versions of both series... then you've got Shantae on both iOS and Gameboy, but the GBC game sold famously poorly and I wouldn't know where to get the other data.

I'm not saying it with 100% certainty, but again, it's not all that unlikely. I don't want to fan the illusory competition between both of them though.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So essentially where Shantae is can be attributed to the same fate as Shulk: a character from an acclaimed game that sold terribly at first, but got better later on.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
As for Most wanted Sonic characters? I would love knuckles, tails, or eggman.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So essentially where Shantae is can be attributed to the same fate as Shulk: a character from an acclaimed game that sold terribly at first, but got better later on.
And unlike Shulk (funnily enough, a character that Sakurai said isn't the type that usually gets added to Smash) she doesn't even have the fact that she's Nintendo-owned.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
With Sonic characters, I'd rather have them go the Capcom route and pick a new IP, but if it could only be Sonic I'd say Tails or Eggman.

And unlike Shulk (funnily enough, a character that Sakurai said isn't the type that usually gets added to Smash) she doesn't even have the fact that she's Nintendo-owned.
Fair enough. Though I am curious what Nintendo's stance is on all this.

Soul.

Sonic characters...
Can I play Sonic Battle instead. Knuckles would be cool though, I guess.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Pac-Man was one of the most requested characters for the game, and during the beginning of the ballot, Shovel Knight was one of the most requested characters in the West.
For much of 2012, when the roster was decided, as well as 2013, Pac-Man was never among the top 10 characters requested, and often recieved relatively little support. His support base only really took off long after the roster was decided, similar to Robin and Rosalina, meaning that fan-requests had nothing to do with his inclusion. In fact, as a person who heavily requested Pac-Man I can definetly tell you that for much of pre-Smash 4 speculation, there were tons of hate for Pac-Man with the general consensu being that he was an "expected, but not wanted character"

Happy Birthday, @ PushDustIn PushDustIn

Well, Shovel Knight won 2014 indie game of the year. With the success of the game they managed to release it on XBone and PS4 with battles against Battle Toads and Kratos. They're releasing the game physically, as well. Along with Shovel Knight being the first third party amiibo line. These are not ordinary indie feats.
He might not be as iconic as Mega Man, but Shovel Knight is definitely growing.
That is all fine and well for an indie character. It doesn't change the fact that just because he is the biggest fish in a pond filled with small fishes, it doesn't make change the fact he himself is also a small fish.

Agreed, it's better to be more open about it. I don't want to be ranting about how Smash has lost its charm just because a non iconic character is in, I have a feeling these rants will be inevitable to happen and be big and continuous.
I am being open minded about third-party characters by virtue of thinking that the concept is fine. Wanting third-party characters, (considering there won't be lots of focus on them in comparison to the primarily Nintendo-centric cast) to actually be significant characters with starpower among a wider gaming audience does not equal being narrow-minded.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
No love for Blaze? After all, she started out on Nintendo systems.

Although Tails is my number one pick.

D

Deleted member

No one really wanted Pac Man because we were afraid of Ghostly Adventures Pac Man
The ones that wanted him had faith it wouldn't happen

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I have to ask, isn't Metal Sonic just a Sonic clone? :confused:
Look at the boss fights. Then you have the answer
No love for Blaze? After all, she started out on Nintendo systems.

Although Tails is my number one pick.
I keep forgetting about Blaze, but she's easily the best female Sonic characters. She's strong, she's determined, she can run fast in heels, has A-cup Angst and pyrokinesis. She'd be a fun choice

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Look at the boss fights. Then you have the answer

I keep forgetting about Blaze, but she's easily the best female Sonic characters. She's strong, she's determined, she can run fast in heels, is voiced by Laura Bailey has A-cup Angst and pyrokinesis. She'd be a fun choice
Just added in something you missed.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom