• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Number 6

Phendrana Drifts
Metroid Prime​

Last edited by a moderator:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
He's just lacking the "icon/worthiness" of the other 3rd party characters...but we probably need to let go of that notion (especially if he is in...).
Agreed, it's better to be more open about it. I don't want to be ranting about how Smash has lost its charm just because a non iconic character is in, I have a feeling these rants will be inevitable to happen and be big and continuous.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Bowser Jr. and Villager were both on my radar for Brawl. I do wish the forks were replaced with the paintbrush though. Like, why a fork..?
He's hungry for destruction, since he wasn't in Brawl
:troll:

And Happy Birthday @ PushDustIn PushDustIn Hope it's a good one! Also great article!

You and me are going to be good friends Tama!

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@SuperSegaSonicSS There was a Ryu thread before the data mining. There was also a general Street Fighter character discussion/speculation thread.

On the subject of Final Smashes, there are plenty of them that involve transformations:
Bowser -> Giga Bowser
Bowser Jr. -> Shadow Mario
Wario -> Wario-Man
Ganondorf -> Ganon
Charizard -> Mega Charizard X
Lucario -> Mega Lucario
Mewtwo -> Mega Mewtwo Y
Mr. Game & Watch -> Octopus
Little Mac -> Giga Mac
Sonic -> Super Sonic

Bowser Jr. and Villager were both on my radar for Brawl. I do wish the forks were replaced with the paintbrush though. Like, why a fork..?
Don't know. It's kinda funny, though. :p

At the very least, we get this:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MortonsFork

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
@SuperSegaSonicSS There was a Ryu thread before the data mining. There was also a general Street Fighter character discussion/speculation thread.

On the subject of Final Smashes, there are plenty of them that involve transformations:
Bowser -> Giga Bowser
Bowser Jr. -> Shadow Mario
Wario -> Wario-Man
Ganondorf -> Ganon
Charizard -> Mega Charizard X
Lucario -> Mega Lucario
Mewtwo -> Mega Mewtwo Y
Mr. Game & Watch -> Octopus
Little Mac -> Giga Mac
Sonic -> Super Sonic

Don't know. It's kinda funny, though. :p

At the very least, we get this:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MortonsFork
You forgot Yoshi -> Yoshi with wings and fire

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Happy Birthday, Pushy! The stripper should arrive to your hotel room in mere minutes. She brought the whip-

*banned*

Ahem. So. South Park Season 19 finally starting. :D I have missed it.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Ono's hinting at another fighter.

This time, I have no idea who it is and I doubt it's Karin

image.jpg

Strofirko

Smash Master
This music is amazing:

It relly reflects modern songs and likes of the year 20XX.

The dead horse has been beaten

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You know there are a lot of worlds I want for Kingdom Hearts and not a one of them is a live action Disney movie, but then as Halloween approaches it hit me...

Do. It.

Just do it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For the Iconic argument, Shovel Knight is an indie icon but that's like saying I'm the best Smash player in my house. It may be true but in the grand scheme, it doesn't mean much.

Of the present third parties:

Metal Gear is the iconic stealth game and the iconic "I actually want to make movies" game
Mega Man is iconic of the old school platform shooter. (and Capcom's sequalitis)
Sonic is iconic of the 90's console war and the decade in general
Pac-Man is THE arcade game
Street Fighter (2) is the grand daddy of all fighting games.

As much as I like Shantae, she isn't an icon. What series/characters from non-Nintendo games would you consider iconic?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
For the Iconic argument, Shovel Knight is an indie icon but that's like saying I'm the best Smash player in my house. It may be true but in the grand scheme, it doesn't mean much.

Metal Gear is the iconic stealth game and the iconic "I actually want to make movies" game
Mega Man is iconic of the old school platform shooter. (and Capcom's sequalitis)

As much as I like Shantae, she isn't an icon. What series/characters from non-Nintendo games would you consider iconic?
The thing now is that most of the 3rd parties I consider icons are either impossible due to Sakurai reasons, impossible due to ownership, already in the game, highly unlikely, or Snake.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

She's not iconic, but she is in terms of indie characters.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I wish Mario Maker got Shulk's english voice. It's such a shame he's only able to speak Japanese.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Anyway, the other characters I consider iconic and their likelihood thereof

Final Fantasy: Hugely iconic series but the most iconic character, Cloud, is more associated with Sony. A possible "generic" one like Black Mage, Chocobo or Moogle is possible.
Tomb Raider: Lara is an early 3D gaming icon. But if PSASBR couldn't get her then...
Spyro and Crash: See above.
Castevania: Iconic for both the stupid hard originals and the -vania half of Metroidvania. Main Problem: Konami
Bomberman: Multiplayer focused Icon. See above for Problem
Tekken: Premier 3D fighter. Sakurai already turned down due to difficulty of translating movesets.
Chun-li: First Lady of Fighting games. Possible but there's the semi-official 1 per franchise rule.
Rayman: Before Assassin's Creed and the psychotic Rabbids this was Ubisoft's golden boy. Was France's mascot at the World Cup. Already a trophy so...

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Chun-li: First Lady of Fighting games. Possible but there's the semi-official 1 per franchise rule.
It's not semi-official, it's just an assumption. Much like the "one rep per company" belief that Ryu Shoryuken'ed out of existence.

I say this a lot, but if they were to add a second Sega character to Smash, I'm 100% certain it would be another Sonic character.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I wonder how Sakurai feels about 3rd party characters that only appear in a few games from thier franchise. Mainly Simon Belmont and Cloud Strife.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon

Bomberman: is one of the old school iconic characters left, he made the puzzle-action genre a thing and become a standard for multiplayer games, his evolution has been gradually different getting into more styles of mechanics and gameplay but always keeping the puzzle-action as base and focus, we need to count that he is pretty old too going as far as 1983.

Simon Belmont: Castlevania is one of the oldest and more known series, taking different approaches and many genres even creating with Metroid the Metroidvania style that many games of today still use because of its solid base and mechanics, Simon Belmont is like Marth for Fire Emblem, the main protagonist of the first entry of the series making him an icon and a legend in its universe, its the best representative of Castlevania.

Ryu Hayabusa: Another old school icon in the same veins of Snake, Link, Samus, etc., very difficult action games with the most polished combat system and mechanics making it the standard and the epitome of the action genre (some people and a lot of critics say that the Ninja Gaiden games are the best in that regard).
Ninja Gaiden is to action, what Mario is to plataforming, Metal Gear is to stealth, etc., each of them are the best of the best in their particular field.

Other icons in not particular order of importance;

Prince - Prince of Persia
Chocobo, Moogle, Black Mage, Cloud Strife, Sephirot - Final Fantasy
Slime - Dragon Quest
Lara Croft - Tomb Rider
Spyro - Spyro
Crash - Crash Bandicoot
Rayman - Rayman
Gordon Freeman - Half-Life
Leon Kennedy, Jill Valentine, Chris Redfield, Albert Wesker - Resident Evil
Dante - Devil May Cry
Duke Nukem - Duke Nukem
Marine - Doom
Agent 47 - Hitman
Illidan Stormrage - World of Warcraft
Sarah Kerrigan - StarCraft

Edited; with more characters.

.n_n.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I wouldn't say that, but in terms of sales, it's not all that unlikely that Shovel Knight is outselling the entire Shantae series.
Well I am, she's had more games an publicity than Shovel Knight. She's practially "THE" indie character.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Shantae (besides maybe the first game) is a successful series but it's hard to find sales numbers.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I'd actually be fine with another Sonic Rep. Who would you guys want, and why?

Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Metal Sonic
Eggman
Amy

I'd say Tails is the 'most worthy', but I'd love me a playable Eggman.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't know if I could safely say one popular indie could outsell an entire series combined. Even if Shantae was a cult hit with her first game, there is strength in numbers after all.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'm still in the boat that shovel knight is more iconic then shantae even with one game. He's in more crossovers then her( and she isn't in what is literally a game filled with indie characters.), his game already has more support from Nintendo and his name is getting out there. Hell the rumor alone, I would say has gotten his name out to casual gamers enough. Not to mention the fact he has his own amiibo, and launched on Nintendo systems first. In my opinion, Shovel knight is much better then shantae for smash as his company has more of a presence/ connection with NIntendo then she has had. Shovel Knight also is usually ranked higher in the ballot then her and is clearly known by the higher ups at Nintendo and even Sakurai I'm sure.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd actually be fine with another Sonic Rep. Who would you guys want, and why?

Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Metal Sonic
Eggman
Amy

I'd say Tails is the 'most worthy', but I'd love me a playable Eggman.
I'd LOVE it if Eggman were playable; he'd be the only additional Sonic character I'd be happy about getting. Though to be fair Tails would be more likely, and I'm pretty neutral on him.

Tomb Raider: Lara is an early 3D gaming icon. But if PSASBR couldn't get her then...
Fun fact: the reason PSASBR couldn't get her came down to timing and timing only. Square Enix wanted the first appearance of Lara's new look to be in the Tomb Raider reboot, understandably enough. Gotta build the reboot brand and such. If PSASBR came out like, six months later, she would have been in. She was probably planned as DLC too, honestly, but due to the situation with Superbot, post-Zeus and Isaac Clarke DLC plans were basically cancelled (this is also why Dart didn't make it. They outright said he was planned as DLC).

That being said, realistic firearm reliance would keep her out of Smash anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom