• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I don't blame you for thinking it's unlikely. Hell, I think it's unlikely and I actually want Shovel Knight. I don't have any evidence to argue against it though- just gut feeling.

Although the amiibo doesn't actually have anything to do with the rumor, apparently. At least, not the original source.
I don't think the amiibo is the main reason but something with it. The issue is more due to this having to be a pre-ballot fighter and probably was less out of Sakurai's hands in choice which is what it's implying and the usual of 'No Japan release, too young of s series and just not enough evidence'

The rumor doesn't really have anything that flat out debunks it, so that gives me a reason to have some confidence in it. But like all other rumors, I'm just gonna wait it out before I can start saying it's real.
I feel like that for it and against it. There's no evidence against it but there's no evidence for it outside of what a few people say and words aren't concrete evidence because a lot can change and those guys are even having doubts in some form.

Tama

Smash Apprentice
Then where is K. Rool?:p

But seriously, Snake, Pac-Man and Ryu didn't get in based on fan-demand, so I really don't buy the whole "fanservice" excuse, especially when there are more popular requests than Shovel Knight and I don't think his western demand is enough to make him "special."
The "fan service excuse" I believe refers to a fairly recent comment from Sakurai, in which he was referring to the remaining few DLC character specifically (presumably those picked from the ballot). Unless I just imagined he said that. I'm sure Push will know.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Why would Cloud make sense when he has only ever made cameos in Nintendo consoles?
He honestly makes more sense than Shovel Knight. Neither of them are particularly notable in terms of Nintendo history with Shovel Knight's one game being multi-platform and Cloud being more Sony-oriented, but at least he's iconic.

That said, I don't particularly care much about the idea of Cloud being in Smash and honestly believe that choosing someone like the Black Mage, a character that is also iconic whilst resonating with Nintendo fans more, would be probably better. But at least Cloud is well-known enough to arguably qualify as a special case. What does Shovel Knight have?

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's always fanservice for fans of <insert character here>. Every character has fans and detractors.

Interesting interview, by the way, @ PushDustIn PushDustIn . (Also, is it just me or is your avatar more festive?)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
He honestly makes more sense than Shovel Knight. Neither of them are particularly notable in terms of Nintendo history with Shovel Knight's one game being multi-platform and Cloud being more Sony-oriented, but at least he's iconic.

That said, I don't particularly care much about the idea of Cloud being in Smash and honestly believe that choosing someone like the Black Mage, a character that is also iconic whilst resonating with Nintendo fans more, would be probably better. But at least Cloud is well-known enough to arguably qualify as a special case. What does Shovel Knight have?
I think Chocabo fits the best imo.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The "fan service excuse" I believe refers to a fairly recent comment from Sakurai, in which he was referring to the remaining few DLC character specifically (presumably those picked from the ballot). Unless I just imagined he said that. I'm sure Push will know.
Still doesn't detract from my point that he not only has non-existant support in the East, but in the West, there are more popular requests than him, meaning there is nothing notable about him to the point of justifying lowering the bar severely to just including any obscure character from different companies, which he is.

I think Chocabo fits the best imo.
Fair enough. It's not as if I particularly care that much about a Square-Enix character happening in Smash to begin with.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Here you go.
Why would Cloud make sense when he has only ever made cameos in Nintendo consoles?
It's my last stance for 3rd parties being icons. I guess with Shovel Knight (if it's true), I need to let it go.

There is a fighter ballot on the official Smash for Wii U/3DS website. We’ve received an extremely large number of votes, but of course, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were in development even before the ballot was created. I had a grasp on their popularity and demand, though.

From now on, it is going to be fan service [2] , but I can’t keep the development team together forever, so there’s only going to be several more characters [3]. I also ask for your patience, as we need time to develop more content.
:4greninja:'d

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@ Tama Tama is an EBA/Ouendan fan AND a W101 fan
This man is a god among men in taste.

Leaks are fun and being able to get info from someone who doesn't hide behind anonymity is nice. Thanks for getting involved man.

Now not to detract from Tam abut this is neat. SMM pretends costume mario toad is THE toad by calling him Captain.
Even though Nintendo has established that Captain Toad is someone different than "the Toad you played as in Super Mario Bros. 2".

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
It's always fanservice for fans of <insert character here>. Every character has fans and detractors.

Interesting interview, by the way, @ PushDustIn PushDustIn . (Also, is it just me or is your avatar more festive?)
I'm 27 years old now! Festive Luma for the next 24 hours.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Still doesn't detract from my point that he not only has non-existant support in the East, but in the West, there are more popular requests than him, meaning there is nothing notable about him to the point of justifying lowering the bar severely to just including any obscure character from different companies, which he is.

Fair enough. It's not as if I particularly care that much about a Square-Enix character happening in Smash to begin with.
Pac-Man was one of the most requested characters for the game, and during the beginning of the ballot, Shovel Knight was one of the most requested characters in the West.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm 27 years old now! Festive Luma for the next 24 hours.
Ah, I see. Happy birthday! Festive Luma with Wario hat, nose and stache indeed.

It loks character transformations in Mario Maker affect how NPCs interact with the player. Sounds interesting.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So were talking about Shovel Knight again? Might as well get some salt...
... for the popcorn.

EDIT: Also, great interview as always @ PushDustIn PushDustIn and @ Tama Tama ! Looking forward to seeing more content from you guys!

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Great interview, @ PushDustIn PushDustIn , and happy birthday of course. And I would like to apologize to @ Tama Tama , as I was pretty hostile towards him upon hearing about him initially, but you seem like a pretty alright dude.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Only for certain costumes (probably just Mario costumes + a few others).
I guess it would be odd to see Ganondorf helping the Toads to save Peach. XD

Speaking of Ganondorf in Mario Maker, his sprite seems to best resemble his Hyrule Warriors design. The color scheme is the same, leaning on vivid purples rather than the black color scheme he has in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Pac-Man was one of the most requested characters for the game, and during the beginning of the ballot, Shovel Knight was one of the most requested characters in the West.
If the rumor is actually true, and he's been in development for a while now, he was probably chosen towards the beginning of the ballot when he was polling well.

Oh, and Happy birthday @ PushDustIn PushDustIn

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
If the Shovel Knight rumor is legit, I'm really interested to see just how soon Sakurai decided on picking him.

If he's already in development like Tamaki said, it could have a lot of implications...

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
If the Shovel Knight rumor is legit, I'm really interested to see just how soon Sakurai decided on picking him.

If he's already in development like Tamaki said, it could have a lot of implications...
This might sound weird, but I'm not really surprised by it :p. The reason is simply due to Sakurai's (good) unpredictable nature. Most of the newcomers so far have been relatively unpredicted. Who really expected Ryu, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt Dog, Villager, Robin, Lucina, Dark Pit and Bowser Jr. to be in the game? So, it does sort of seem reasonable to be.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

I guess he could be considered Pre-Ballot.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
This might sound weird, but I'm not really surprised by it :p. The reason is simply due to Sakurai's (good) unpredictable nature. Most of the newcomers so far have been relatively unpredicted. Who really expected Ryu, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt Dog, Villager, Robin, Lucina, Dark Pit and Bowser Jr. to be in the game? So, it does sort of seem reasonable to be.
Most of those characters had support threads here. Just saying.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I guess he could be considered Pre-Ballot.
He's popular enough to get voted in via the ballot. It wouldn't be a total shocker if he's ballot! He's just lacking the "icon/worthiness" of the other 3rd party characters...but we probably need to let go of that notion (especially if he is in...).

Chrono.

I just learned there's an old Squeenix Action RPG for the PS2 where you play as 3 Bouncers and the plot is that you need to save their friend who was kidnapped by assassin ninjas when they broke into the bar they work at.

What's the game called? That's right you guessed it, "The Bouncer".

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I have a question about Mario Maker. Why don't the Pokemon characters have unique audio files like the rest of the amiibo power-ups? I figured they'd use their Gameboy Pokemon sounds. Seems like a missed opportunity. Anyone know the reason why they just use standard Mario Bros sounds?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Happy Birthday, @ PushDustIn PushDustIn
What does Shovel Knight have?
Well, Shovel Knight won 2014 indie game of the year. With the success of the game they managed to release it on XBone and PS4 with battles against Battle Toads and Kratos. They're releasing the game physically, as well. Along with Shovel Knight being the first third party amiibo line. These are not ordinary indie feats.
He might not be as iconic as Mega Man, but Shovel Knight is definitely growing.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Imo, am I wrong by saying Ryu really got a thread because of that datamine leak of him? The moment that happened, that's when I saw he had a thread here.
I was more or less talking about Duck Hunt, Villager, Robin, Luciana, Dark Pit, and Bowser Jr. All had support prior to their reveals.

Chrono.

I have a question about Mario Maker. Why don't the Pokemon characters have unique audio files like the rest of the amiibo power-ups? I figured they'd use their Gameboy Pokemon sounds. Seems like a missed opportunity. Anyone know the reason why they just use standard Mario Bros sounds?
Pokemon Company didn't allow it.

They're really protective of the IP

Imo, am I wrong by saying Ryu really got a thread because of that datamine leak of him? The moment that happened, that's when I saw he had a thread here.
Pretty sure he had a thread. It was just dead as hell from no support. At least until the mining at least. I know it was alive long enough to change owners.

D

Deleted member

Well, Shovel Knight won 2014 indie game of the year. With the success of the game they managed to release it on XBone and PS4 with battles against Battle Toads and Kratos. They're releasing the game physically, as well. Along with Shovel Knight being the first third party amiibo line. These are not ordinary indie feats.
He might not be as iconic as Mega Man, but Shovel Knight is definitely growing.
He's also made over 13 appearances outside his own game in cameos and guest roles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Bowser Jr. is a character I actually wanted in Brawl, but the fact he has the Clown Car in Smash 4 makes up for having to wait for another game.

Wacky Clown Car gadgets (be them taken from Mario games or made up for Smash), Shadow Mario transformation incorporated in the moveset AND Koopalings playable as alts? Hell yes.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Bowser Jr. is a character I actually wanted in Brawl, but the fact he has the Clown Car in Smash 4 makes up for having to wait for another game.

Wacky Clown Car gadgets (be them taken from Mario games or made up for Smash), Shadow Mario transformation incorporated in the moveset AND Koopalings playable as alts? Hell yes.
Bowser Jr. and Villager were both on my radar for Brawl. I do wish the forks were replaced with the paintbrush though. Like, why a fork..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom