• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Because he wasn't going to make him a PC and a Mii Costume was the second best thing and thus "better than nothing"
But here's my question. WHY not have a karakter?
'The team at SEGA has decided to delay the release date of Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice, which we announced for Nintendo 3DS earlier this year. In order to make sure the game has the time and polish needed, we’re moving it out into 2016. No exact window from us, just yet – it’ll be ready when it’s ready!'
I'm proud SEGA

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Sakurai's 'something or nothing' isn't really justified imo, especially with K.Rool, because seriously, if he's pretty much THE most requested character, why give him the Mii costume in the first place?
In Melee, Ganondorf was the most requested Zelda character and 5th most requested overall. Sakurai did a ballot for a possible Smash 2 shortly after Smash 64's release.

Despite that, Zelda, Sheik and Young Link all had greater priority than Ganondorf, who was the last character added to the game and only made it in because there was a Ganondorf model that could be ported (from the SmashWorld 2000 tech demo) that could run in-game and worked with Captain Falcon's moves due to similar body shapes, making him viable for a clone addition.

Sakurai only added Ganondorf through these exceptional circumstances because he was a popular request.

The top 5 most popular characters were: Bowser (169 votes), Peach (66), Wario (65), Dedede (46), Ganondorf/Ganon (36). Mewtwo had 35 votes.

Of course, for DLC, things may be different and it's been more than a decade since Melee was made, so Sakurai's methodologies and ideologies have certainly changed, at least to an extent. What I mean is that being popular doesn't grant anything, though it does help things.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Highly unlikely, as Dream Land is very handheld oriented. I wouldn't say any 3DS stage is going to be DLC because every DLC stage thus far sans Miiverse (I think?) has been on the 3DS too.
The Miiverse stage and Tournament mode are the only DLC to be version exclusive. They were also both announced on the 50-Fact Extravaganza, which focused mainly on the Wii U version.

All other stages, all characters and Mii costumes released so far have been shared between versions.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
In Melee, Ganondorf was the most requested Zelda character and 5th most requested overall. Sakurai did a ballot for a possible Smash 2 shortly after Smash 64's release.

Despite that, Zelda, Sheik and Young Link all had greater priority than Ganondorf, who was the last character added to the game and only made it in because there was a Ganondorf model that could be ported (from the SmashWorld 2000 tech demo) that could run in-game and worked with Captain Falcon's moves due to similar body shapes, making him viable for a clone addition.

Sakurai only added Ganondorf through these exceptional circumstances because he was a popular request.

The top 5 most popular characters were: Bowser (169 votes), Peach (66), Wario (65), Dedede (46), Ganondorf/Ganon (36). Mewtwo had 35 votes.

Of course, for DLC, things may be different and it's been more than a decade since Melee was made, so Sakurai's methodologies and ideologies have certainly changed, at least to an extent. What I mean is that being popular doesn't grant anything, though it does help things.
I feel that Sakurai should at least have the balls to explain why popular characters aren't in. He said no to Ridley, Takamaru and Chrom, why not these?

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I don't see why people see Mii costumes as character disconfirmations considering:
1. There are outfits based on playable characters (Link, Samus)
2. Outfits take much less development time than characters (hence why we get tons of them per wave)
Those are costumes based off in-game characters. There has not been a case of a costume character becoming DLC down the road.

Such a thing would be counter-productive. If they're going to release the character as DLC, why make the costume DLC for them in the first place? The idea of it being to tide over fans of that character is stupid.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I feel that Sakurai should at least have the balls to explain why popular characters aren't in. He said no to Ridley, Takamaru and Chrom, why not these?
I think fans should be aware that having all popular characters in the game is an utopia.

Those are costumes based off in-game characters. There has not been a case of a costume character becoming DLC down the road.

Such a thing would be counter-productive. If they're going to release the character as DLC, why make the costume DLC for them in the first place? The idea of it being to tide over fans of that character is stupid.
Much like how trophies of characters disconfirmed them only for Mewtwo and Lucas to prove that wrong, for example.

There's no precedent to this, so we can't say anything about this. It's all about being optimistic or pessimistic: you either believe a costume disconfirms a character or not.

Like I just said, Mii costumes are much easier to develop than a full-fledged character. That itself makes the whole "costume before character" thing a lot more logical, even if it may not happen after all.

We have no idea what was the process to select the characters as Mii costumes.

It's all a big bucket of unknowns.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think fans should be aware that having all popular characters in the game is an utopia.

Much like how trophies of characters disconfirmed them only for Mewtwo and Lucas to prove that wrong, for example.

There's no precedent to this, so we can't say anything about this. It's all about being optimistic or pessimistic: you either believe a costume disconfirms a character or not.

Like I just said, Mii costumes are much easier to develop than a full-fledged character. That itself makes the whole "costume before character" thing a lot more logical, even if it may not happen after all.

At least let me know why I'm not allowed to have stuff I want. Saying 'you get this as a pisspoor consulation and I'm not telling you why' is BS, like if you got something wrong when a teacher asks you something and then does nothing

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Highly unlikely, as Dream Land is very handheld oriented. I wouldn't say any 3DS stage is going to be DLC because every DLC stage thus far sans Miiverse (I think?) has been on the 3DS too.
Miiverse is indeed Wii U exclusive.

But to be fair, it's only DLC because you had to download an update. It's not paid DLC like the others.

Also, I love how you didn't say a thing about Jungle Japes :p

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I honestly don't think these costume will become actual characters. And a counter to Link and Samus, there are multiple Links, and anyone can wear Samus Armor. In fact, I named my Samus Mii "X Parisite".

Last edited:

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
Remember guys, the placeholder stages were found on the 3DS version back in April. So, after the Mario Maker stage two more are coming.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
At least let me know why I'm not allowed to have stuff I want. Saying 'you get this as a pisspoor consulation and I'm not telling you why' is BS, like if you got something wrong when a teacher asks you something and then does nothing
I think "development time being limited and not being possible to do everything" is reason enough to justify absences in the roster.

We already got plenty of popular characters and there are still a lot of popular characters to be added.

Because there are so many characters with a lot of fans rallying towards their inclusion.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
Wait, the stage is supposed to be a tie-in with Super Mario Maker's release, right?

Breaking News! Burb might be wrong for the first time ever!
Unless he was talking about just characters and not stages.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Miiverse is indeed Wii U exclusive.

But to be fair, it's only DLC because you had to download an update. It's not paid DLC like the others.

Also, I love how you didn't say a thing about Jungle Japes :p
What about it, though? It's already on the 3DS version and I'm pretty sure both of its themes were re-used on in-game stages.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Said no one ever.

I certainly never thought that trophies disconfirmed characters as DLC; only for the base game.

Right, it's an opinion either way.

I do have to say you're wrong about the "pessimistic vs optimistic" comment, though. It's not pessimism vs optimism in my book. None of the costume characters thus far are ones I'd care to have playable except K. Rool. Isaac is another character I don't care about. By considering these characters disconfirmed, I'm not being pessimistic. I don't care.

It still takes time and resources to develop a costume.

Even if it's easier, no, it doesn't make sense to say "Hey, let's make a K. Rool Mii costume to tide people over for three months and then release the real deal later on!".

K. Rool in specific is a good indicator that the ballot has something to do with it.

He doesn't strike me as the type of character who'd be chosen for such a thing out of the blue, and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Those were for characters.
Wrong, there were placeholders for stages as well.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think "development time being limited and not being possible to do everything" is reason enough to justify absences in the roster.

We already got plenty of popular characters and there are still a lot of popular characters to be added.

Because there are so many characters with a lot of fans rallying towards their inclusion.
Except K.Rool's potentially disconfirmed now. If he IS DLC, no need to explain anything. If he ISN'T and there's still no explanation for why popular characters didn't make it as DLC, it's BS. If it's 'These other very popular characters were more requested and had more priority but we didn't get to do them' then it's fine as long as it's after the ballot

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

You're right that it is a "big bucket of unknowns," but like you said before, Sakurai does have a mindset of "something is better then nothing." Mii Costumes could fit into that ideology because he may know how popular they are, but for one reason or another can't work on them as full fledged characters and puts them in as a costume for their fans. That is at least supported by how characters like Chrom, Heihachi and the like were made into Mii Costumes even though they're both characters that were rejected by him at one point or another. Characters like King K. Rool and the Inklings could be another example like them, two characters that are very popular, but for one reason or another just weren't made playable and turned into costumes. It is a theory at this point, but one that isn't exactly unsubstantiated based on previous examples and shouldn't be ignored as a potential outcome for these characters.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
What about it, though? It's already on the 3DS version and I'm pretty sure both of its themes were re-used on in-game stages.
Yes, but neither of those songs are the Jungle Japes theme from Melee.

Sakurai could give a bunch of DKC and DK64 songs to either Kongo Jungle Melee or Jungle Japes in addition of that song.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Wait, the stage is supposed to be a tie-in with Super Mario Maker's release, right?

Breaking News! Burb might be wrong for the first time ever!
Unless he was talking about just characters and not stages.
Burb? Not perfect?

Who will be our god now? :c
I've been wrong before.

Up until the Ryu/Roy files were discovered, I thought with the utmost certainty that Roy had some of the worst chances of all the cut veterans.

The Jungle Japes stage on 3DS actually doesn't use the Jungle Japes theme, believe it or not.

It uses Kongo Jungle 64's music and Rocketbarrel.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Knowing the history with Zelda and Ganondorf, where Ganondorf was more popular than Zelda yet it was her who got priority, I wonder if K. Rool could be rejected in favor of Dixie Kong.

Even though K. Rool is a lot more popular than Dixie, she has merits such as being considered for Brawl and starred in a recent DKC game.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So I got banned on Neogaf permanently for posting the results of the sourcegaming japan poll. Seriously that site has no damn rhyme or reason for its bans. And according to their policy, they can ban for what ever reason they want and theres no negotiation. So stupid. :/

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I've been wrong before.

Up until the Ryu/Roy files were discovered, I thought with the utmost certainty that Roy had some of the worst chances of all the cut veterans.
Probabilities and predictions aren't the same thing, Burby. :smirk:

It could always be a "the most unlikely thing actually happened" scenario.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Yes, but neither of those songs are the Jungle Japes theme from Melee.

Sakurai could give a bunch of DKC and DK64 songs to either Kongo Jungle Melee or Jungle Japes in addition of that song.
I... guess? I'd just consider Kongo Jungle (Melee) more likely at that point since it doesn't exist on either version. With how the themes have shifted around, it's possible the absence of the DK Rap isn't a nail in the coffin for Kongo.

I have my bets on Saffron either way.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So I got banned on Neogaf permanently for posting the results of the sourcegaming japan poll. Seriously that site has no damn rhyme or reason for its bans. And according to their policy, they can ban for what ever reason they want and theres no negotiation. So stupid. :/
It's NeoGaf. What else needs to be said?

That site gives off plenty of elitist vibes, it's not even funny.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
And this is why I only stay on Smashboards ;)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Neogaf these days is nothing but a sack of BanHammers with the intelligence of one. Look up banned by NG and see what reasons they give.

They must have some crazy funding of some kind to stay afloat.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Knowing the history with Zelda and Ganondorf, where Ganondorf was more popular than Zelda yet it was her who got priority, I wonder if K. Rool could be rejected in favor of Dixie Kong.

Even though K. Rool is a lot more popular than Dixie, she has merits such as being considered for Brawl and starred in a recent DKC game.
Toon Zelda confirmed most likely Zelda DLC
In all seriousness, if Dixie was playable before K.Rool, I wouldn't be mad. Now if both aren't included at all, I'm no

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I... guess? I'd just consider Kongo Jungle (Melee) more likely at that point since it doesn't exist on either version. With how the themes have shifted around, it's possible the absence of the DK Rap isn't a nail in the coffin for Kongo.

I have my bets on Saffron either way.
The DK Rap from Melee is a song for Jungle Hijinxs on the Wii U version.

Jungle Japes (Melee) on the 3DS has the Kongo Jungle 64 song and a remix of a DKCR song.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Sorry, been busy with a lot of things:

2 Placeholder for Stages

2 Placeholder for Characters

Remind yourself by visiting my humble archive of knowledge.

Mario Maker + 1 more for this next update....

This means I might be wrong about the 2 characters being post-ballot. As if the ballot characters are newcomers, they probably require a home stage ala Suzaku...unless of course the characters they chose don't require another home stage. It's far more likely that they will add another row of stages at this point.

The website seems to have a number order independent of stage order:
PACK 1
1) Dreamland
----------------
PACK 2
2) Hyrule Castle
3) Peach's Castle
--------------------
PACK 3
4) ??????????????
5) Super Mario Maker

I believe the website follows alphabetical order.This isn't confirmed, but just pure speculation on my part. The name of 4 could make or break this theory, but it's something to note for the future. This is because Peach's Castle actually comes before Hyrule Castle's in the actual stage select screen (as per the rules).

The stage select screen in the Japanese video is from development, and it's NOT how it appears in game (with all the stages on one screen). My stage select screen is similar to the one seen in the US version of the video.

Personally, I think Wolf would be a safe bet, either for this month or October.

If another character were to be announced it could be Shovel Knight.

I'm also betting their will be costumes. The announcement was made waaaaaay far in advance. The last DLC had 3 days before it dropped. This one has 2 weeks? Yeah, there's some more coming.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Neogaf bans? EncyclopediaDramatica got some good ones! Don't visit ED if you have virgin eyes, lots of porn ads too

No going to Joystik
Also, no going to Go Nintendo, Sp00ng, VG Charts, Petition Online, Out of the Gulag Imageshack and never go to Opa-Ages.
No fraternizing with members of the opposite sex.
No shooping or whooping. Srsly.
No Rickrolling
No ****** Saying "**** Time"
No CATURDAY WTF??!?!?
No Racism (Towards the inferior races like Jews, *****, or *******. Hating white people is okay).
No Lolicon, because it instantly summons the SJWs to battle over the legal rights of fictional characters and the mods are too lazy to properly tame both sides of the ensuing flamewars.
No non-normal anime.
No big ****, because they would complain how women with big **** are disgusting and prefer little boy ******* instead.
No helping anyone outside NeoGAF.
No supporting any consoles except Sony PlayStation.
And, most important, NEVER disagree with one of the mods.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Neogaf admins make no sense. I remember when Iwata passed there was a loud outcry for Neogaf to put an Iwata Ribbon on the sites banner....or even R.I.P text. They went ahead and made a pride banner but refused to show respect to Iwata and said "Don't tell us how to mourn."

They also brought out the ban hammer on those who kept demanding the ribbon. Seriously if someone got banned here for the same reason then I wouldn't expect the mod/admin who did so to keep their spot very long.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
The DK Rap from Melee is a song for Jungle Hijinxs on the Wii U version.

Jungle Japes (Melee) on the 3DS has the Kongo Jungle 64 song and a remix of a DKCR song.
I know. I spent like 2 hours doing research. "Absence" was referring to "absence of the song on Kongo Jungle".

Soul.

I still want Squirtle and Ivysaur but it's not like I'd be pissed should they not come back. This goes to Wolf, too—I'm certain he'll be back but who knows. Just stay unchanged from Brawl pls

Neogaf admins make no sense. I remember when Iwata passed there was a loud outcry for Neogaf to put an Iwata Ribbon on the sites banner....or even R.I.P text. They went ahead and made a pride banner but refused to show respect to Iwata and said "Don't tell us how to mourn."
Well that's really stupid of them.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Jungle Japes or Kongo Jungle still has its chances and with @ PushDustIn PushDustIn 's recent post, my guess would be that if there's a second stage in this wave, it's either one of those or a 64 stage that isn't Yoshi's Story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom