• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khoru

Smash Champion
I'm just astounding dedicated how far people go to make things seem sexist or racist when they aren't at all. I mean the Xenoblade thing in particular is literally ignoring most of the game.

It reminds me of Anita when she talked about Watch Dogs. She criticized it for having a sex trafficking ring calling it sexist. Except you were there to stop it and save the people trapped in it.

I just wish these two bozos weren't the faces of feminism in the industry. Good could be done. Just not with these two.
yeah i mean. i might have given the impression that i like them. i don't, really. but they're used as scapegoats for "FEMINISM IS EVIL", which is...... dumb. like, it's not about "taking control of the means of production from the patriarchy" or whatever
lol no Konami's getting all the trash at them while Kojima will only get praise. The most criticized stuff are from stuff Konami did, and lets be honest, no director has 100% control on what happens
there's... a really controversial story element at the very end. i don't think konami did that? i mean they might have, but i got the impression it was kojima.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
How much money they asked for is extremely important because it has a huge influence on how much they receive in backings. That's why stretch goals exist. Because people aren't nearly as likely to donate if there's nothing left to work toward.

You're trying to argue the merits of characters who haven't even debuted yet because they garnered more attention, but you refuse to acknowledge context because it doesn't matter to you. As long as one number is bigger, that's what's important, right? Yes, they had more backings, but there are legitimate reasons for it. What is the point in bringing this up?

Edit: Edited because I didn't mean to sound too rude.
Kickstarter offers a variety of rewards for backing. Stretch Goals are essentially a thank you to fans who are backing, trying to give them as much bang for their buck.

The fact that they've received more attention IS important. Smash is about the elite, or at least it was.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
See, feminism is a great thing. It's about being equal to everyone, no matter who you are.

Tumblr feminism though, oh boy. That's all about the cherry picking and the straw grasping.

Chrono.

lol no Konami's getting all the trash at them while Kojima will only get praise. The most criticized stuff are from stuff Konami did, and lets be honest, no director has 100% control on what happens
Trust me, Kojima will get the flak.

It always happens, MGS fans have been pretty terrible since the MGS2 days.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Though it's kinda the same with everything when you think about it. There are great people who not only do good but also are respectable people within our society. ...Then you get the vocal minority that takes everyone else down with them. It's just how things go sometimes.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Shovel Knight had 12.
Yooka-Laylee had 15 after they added 4 due to overwhelming success.
That was my bad, saying SK didn't make "nearly as many" was an exaggeration. However, my main point was that YL had way more initiatives and that there's a lot of other context missing. It's still a record-breaking success, but you're ignoring a lot of the reasons why.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The way I see it, feminism is believing both men and women should be treated as equals. The likes of Anita and Wu however, feel like stuff for a male demograph should cater towards women, with Anita claiming only men can be sexist and stuff like that. That's not feminism, but rather selfishness. I can guarantee there are more men and more women who believe in real feminism and not the ****e these 2 made

D

Deleted member

See, feminism is a great thing. It's about being equal to everyone, no matter who you are.

Tumblr feminism though, oh boy. That's all about the cherry picking and the straw grasping.
I hate how they claim it's all about "equality", but then you see posts like
"White people need to shut the **** up"
"These digusting heteros"
"Down with the cis"
"A cis actor/actress playng a trans character is transphoboc"
"White people/men CANT suffer racism/sexism"
"Lol heterophobia doesn't exist lol"

I'm serious when I say I hate hypocrisy and Tumblr is a hole full of it

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I hate how they claim it's all about "equality", but then you see posts like
"White people need to shut the **** up"
"These digusting heteros"
"Down with the cis"
"A cis actor/actress playng a trans character is transphoboc"
"White people/men CANT suffer racism/sexism"
"Lol heterophobia doesn't exist lol"

I'm serious when I say I hate hypocrisy and Tumblr is a hole full of it
Down with cis is a joke based off a text post that said the OP and their friend were attacked by a bus of people wearing "down with cis" shirts.
Why the hell should a cis person be playing a trans character?
Half the stuff you listed is a joke. Nobody says "those disgusting heteros" seriously.
Also I don't understand why people think you can be racist against white people, or heterophobia.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't like the word feminism. I feel it conveys a bias for the female gender and can be misinterpreted as such.

That's why GENDER EQUALITY is a better term.

While it's true that men and women are naturally different, equality in this context means equality in rights. Both genders should be able to pursue their own ambitions regardless of the majority's tendencies.

For example, the military is usually seen as something associated with men. However, should women want to pursue a military career, they should do so and be judged on their aptitude for such a job. Likewise for a man and professions more associated with women.

This is what gender equality is supposed to be and what I defend as such.

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
I feel like it's a problem that people like Anita and Wu are the face of feminism for a lot of people, when it comes to videogames. That's not to say there's anything wrong with them (although I personally think Wu is an idiot) but when one voice becomes too loud, it poisons discussion.

I.E: if Anita says something, it's the feminist point of view, to a lot of people. No other conflicting opinion can also be feminist. I really don't like that at all, and I don't think it's necessarily her fault.
Kickstarter offers a variety of rewards for backing. Stretch Goals are essentially a thank you to fans who are backing, trying to give them as much bang for their buck.

The fact that they've received more attention IS important. Smash is about the elite, or at least it was.
Smash is about the elite? Are Yooka-Laylee more elite than Shovel Knight? What about fans? How many people are interested in seeing YL in Smash? Does having more Kickstarter backers equal eliteness? You've acknowledged that the Kickstarter is the only basis of comparison we have on the two, but why are we comparing them to begin with? Yooka-Laylee won't be out for a long time.

There's a lot more to it than how much 'attention' something got. What's more important is why they got the attention, who they're getting it from, and ultimately what people want to see happen. Personally, I'm looking forward to Yooka-Laylee, but seeing them in Smash would be like watching Beck get in before Mega Man.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So what topic are we on?

Tumblr's twisted idea of feminism?

Worst part is when you try to say that your egalitarian or something similar they take the to mean your sexist because woman are always more a victim than men so you're inherently being sexist.

Not to mention whenever women in games is brought up and they keep dishing out excuses on how they don't count. "Peach is a damsel, Samus is a sex object, the wii fit trainer is a palette swap".

Stay away for sanity's sake.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Even though we're all not as salty about Shovel Knight, it just still blows my mind that they're going to put him in the game. I'm not saying this as a bad thing.

Smash has had alot of surprise characters throughout its lifespan, but this is just confusing onto why they would chose a young IP that may or may not end up popular in the next five years. If you thought Ryu broke me, just wait until Shovel Knights's revealed. Pompeii will be erupting from my head.

Did I miss something in the last 16 pages that actually raised his chances? I thought we left him at a simmering "wait and see" after he failed to make an appearance yesterday.

D

Deleted member

Down with cis is a joke based off a text post that said the OP and their friend were attacked by a bus of people wearing "down with cis" shirts.
Why the hell should a cis person be playing a trans character?
Half the stuff you listed is a joke. Nobody says "those disgusting heteros" seriously.
Also I don't understand why people think you can be racist against white people, or heterophobia.
Well, good thing one of them was only a joke
Then trans people can't play a cis character
And no, I saw some blogs using the word "heteros" as a pejorative term

Soul.

So I come here again and read "sexism in Xenoblade Chronicles"....
God damn when will things like this have an end?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I just hate how they perceive gaming as a full of hatred as a whole a not just rotten apples spoiling the whole bunch.

Nobody playing video games wants to **** and harm women and have the urge and doesn't give you those urges. Besides, there's a lot of assholes in gaming that are women but nobody wants to point that out.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Hilary Swank cisgendered? You know, the person from Boys Don't Cry? Not featuring Dante.

Whenever we have bursts of anger and that it calms down the best thing I can compare it to is stepping on something sharp barefoot, getting angry for 5 minutes and then cooling off in a relaxing bath. I miss baths, I've only had showers for the last 7 years.

D

Deleted member

And now I remember why I only follow Anime blogs on my old tumblr
I only follow anime and video game blogs too but it somehows fonds a way on my front page
I stopped following some blogs that had good content but I jjst couldn't stand their "feminism"

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
i ask we ban tumblr discusions from this board its almost purely toxic no matter how innocent it seems

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I still will never understand using "gay" or "hetero" as an insult. Like okay, I have a sexual preference. I don't see why my opinion is now void, or how it's a sick burn, but okay.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I don't like the word feminism. I feel it conveys a bias for the female gender and can be misinterpreted as such.

That's why GENDER EQUALITY is a better term.

While it's true that men and women are naturally different, equality in this context means equality in rights. Both genders should be able to pursue their own ambitions regardless of the majority's tendencies.

For example, the military is usually seen as something associated with men. However, should women want to pursue a military career, they should do so and be judged on their aptitude for such a job. Likewise for a man and professions more associated with women.

This is what gender equality is supposed to be and what I defend as such.
Agreed 100%. My own beliefs would put me squarely as a feminist, but I hate that word and will never use it to refer to myself, both for what it's become today and for what it just sounds like. The argument is often made that people don't really know what the word means, but the way word is built contributes to that. It made sense when the word was used back in the 50s, not so much today.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
So I come here again and read "sexism in Xenoblade Chronicles"....
God damn when will things like this have an end?
When humanity gets intelligent enough to quit doing those kinds of things. In other words, never.

And now I remember why I only follow Anime blogs on my old tumblr
And now I remember why I never go on Tumblr at all.

i ask we ban tumblr discusions from this board its almost purely toxic no matter how innocent it seems
I second this.

:094:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I still will never understand using "gay" or "hetero" as an insult. Like okay, I have a sexual preference. I don't see why my opinion is now void, or how it's a sick burn, but okay.
Reminds me of how some old school friends told a bi guy 'ur gay' and he jokingly said 'That's half gay for you' or 'Call me Mister Gay' or some ****. He was a fun classmate

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
We should get back to less flame-y topics, my laptops already hot enough.

Any more costumes in Mario Maker found?

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
What do you expect? Some LGBT people don't have the best experiences with heterosexual people. They're just venting. No one means EVERY HETEROSEXUAL.
You just gave me a completely redundant argument in your second point. Good job, glad to see some extremely well-made points here.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
Woah. I wasn't expecting to come into this kind of discussion today. I guess there's nothing Smash related to talk about? <w>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom